Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 26 Aug 2010, 15:29 (Ref:2750631)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
2011 IndyCar silly season

It seems that, during the ALMS at Road America television coverage, it was mentioned that Highcroft wanted to give Simon Pagenaud a drive in the 2011 Indianapolis 500.

Will Penske field three cars? Will Simona de Silvestro switch team? How about Panther? Where will Ana Beatriz, JR Hildebrand, Adam Caroll, Paul Track, Tomas Scheckter end?
Old 26 Aug 2010, 16:13 (Ref:2750652)   #2
marcostraz
Veteran

marcostraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is already 2011 Silly Season? Yes!!!

I'm corious what will happen at Ganassi...last winter a lot of rumors said that he has a complete budget for Rahal for 2011 (maybe money from McDonald's or from GrandAm program?)...is still true? And if this is true, what it means? Three cars for Ganassi too? Or bye bye to one of current driver? Dario is 37, but he doesn't seem so old...he looks better than he was 27!!!

Another interesting situation is for KV...I think that they have a great potential, especially in conjuction with Lotus, but they don't have a great driver...wil Vasser try to acquire a big driver? My speculation: Lotus is english, great tradition with scottish driver...maybe Dario in 2011 or 2012?

And what will Danica do? Really, another year of double IndyCar/NASCAR program? Two shortened programs? InyCar ovals only? Indy 500 only? She has contract with Andretti, but what will happen if she goes (partially or entirely) away? 4 cars? 3 cars? New driver/s? Replacement or substitution with Carroll?

I hope to see Simona in a better team...I'm curios to see if she is really a driver capable of fighting for victory...and I hope to see Hildebrand full time...I'm sure that if he has the possibility to run every week, he can emerge as a great prospect for the future...

Some possible return? Bourdais? Some possibile great name? Bruno Senna? I think Senna is wasted in a "Gt-class" F1 team...maybe USA can be an alternative for his career (like for Zanardi and Montoya in the past)...my same previous own assumptions: Louts plus Senna in F1 in '80s, Lotus plus Senna in IndyCar in 2011...great marketing operation, in my opinion...
Old 26 Aug 2010, 18:45 (Ref:2750721)   #3
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ganassi-With rumours about Scott Dixon possibly wanting to do a driver/owner deal, Ganassi may not have to add a third car to get Rahal. However, the money would probably not come from McDonald's as it has left Indycar racing but sponsors another Chip Ganassi driver, but in NASCAR. I think Chip really wants Dario to stay so he should stay in his ride for 2011.

Penske-Many people, including Marshall Pruett, have made it sound like Ryan Briscoe is out for 2011. Indycar is a struggling series so it would be hard to find a sponsor for all 3 cars. I visited charlotte and i talked to somebody i know who works at Penske and said their main goal for 2011 is to find Sam Hornish Jr a sponsor in NASCAR.

KV-Can this team even survive after the year they've had? Takuma Sato brings in a LOT of money along with Mario and E.J. so expect at least one of them to stay-at the delight of dallara. Or will KK try and focus on making engines for 2012/2013 and shut down the team all together?

Andretti-looks like everything will stay pretty much the same for 2011, but after that? AFS racing will run full time next year and on an ims radio broadcast said that "Carroll was their guy."

Panther-this team has already shut down their Indy Lights team and Dan Wheldon stated earlier this year that if 'things didnt improve' he may leave the team. He also said he would be interested in racing BTCC.

Highcroft-In 2009 Scott Sharp and Tequila did an indy500 one off with Panther racing. Panther has been famous for partering with other teams for the 500 (like Vision this year).
Old 26 Aug 2010, 18:58 (Ref:2750725)   #4
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Castroneves and Briscoe have Penske contracts in hand for 2011.
Old 28 Aug 2010, 10:16 (Ref:2751352)   #5
marcostraz
Veteran

There are rumors about some new team, full time or not: AFS Racing, Bryan Herta Autosport, SH Racing...I think it's interesting for the series...
Old 28 Aug 2010, 15:04 (Ref:2751423)   #6
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't foresee anything radical happening. Penske and Ganassi, same as they ever were driver-wise. No wishful "Ganassi's going to ditch Dixon who will start his own Ganassi spin-off team for Townsend Bell and Simona de Silvestro in addition to himself while Rahal drives the 9" stuff for me.

The only big team I can see change at are Andretti (if Hunter-Reay has no funding). Even that isn't likely. Newman/Haas, Conquest, Coyne, and KV will recycle drivers depending on funding, though the former three could all end up off the grid entirely (hopefully not...they should be able to find ride-buyers and stick it out for one more year with the current car).

The one thing I can guarantee: I'll be whining when ServiÃ* is ride-less, others will be whining when Tracy is in the same condition, others will do it for Rahal, some for Hildebrand, etc, etc.
Old 28 Aug 2010, 15:13 (Ref:2751429)   #7
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's hoping that Milka Duno will turn from driver into sponsor's representative so the CITGO money can benefit a more capable driver. That way, the company would finally be able to get some positive publicity.
Old 28 Aug 2010, 15:31 (Ref:2751434)   #8
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No chance of CITGO backing someone else in IndyCar. They are not interested in the IRL, just Milka. When Milka's gone, CITGO's gone, and barring another ride-buyer, Coyne's gone too.
Old 30 Aug 2010, 16:10 (Ref:2752305)   #9
marcostraz
Veteran

I read that Junior Strous could be run full time next year...
Old 30 Aug 2010, 19:07 (Ref:2752359)   #10
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gordon Kirby made mention of Rahal to Panther Racing.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 19:09 (Ref:2752847)   #11
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcostraz View Post
Last 2 years he ran out of sponsorship about halfway the Indy Lights season or earlier, so I really have my doubts about. But I guess we will see. He's might not be the biggest talent we ever had in Holland, but guys like Moraes and Romancini had a worse CV when they entered Indycar and they aren't/weren't thad bad.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 23:20 (Ref:2752955)   #12
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcostraz View Post
I saw pics on the www of a Shell livery car running in his home town in Holland annoucing the deal for next year. It looked to be an old G-Force. Hey, it was on interweb so it must be true!
Old 1 Sep 2010, 09:39 (Ref:2753093)   #13
marcostraz
Veteran

Beck, Sudler, Walker Together For '11:

American Open-Wheel racing veteran owners Greg Beck, Steve Sudler, and Derrick Walker have joined forces for a 2011 IZOD IndyCar Series effort under the banner Walker Racing Partners. With Beck bringing the cars and equipment, Walker supplying the facility and Sudler handling the Marketing and Sponsorship department, the trio are currently speaking with both sponsors and drivers for the 2011 season.
Old 2 Sep 2010, 17:50 (Ref:2753743)   #14
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Derrick Walker was of course the boss of Walker Racing. For information on beck and Sudler read this.
Old 6 Sep 2010, 20:25 (Ref:2755394)   #15
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can any of you guys put confirmed teams and drivers together? On another note, Jay Howard tweeted that he will be finalizing a drive soon, any ideas? Indy, Indylights, ALMS?
Old 6 Sep 2010, 21:29 (Ref:2755413)   #16
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andretti Autosports is rumored to have resigned all of their drivers. If Danica leaves, it will be as a result of a contract buyout. No word on Adam Carroll's future, other than Michael thinks he's the real deal.

Penske has Briscoe and Castroneves signed, not Power. They are expected to continue to field a three car team, but that is not assured. Penske continues to look for additional sponsorship.

Dan Wheldon does not expect to be back at Panther racing next year, per his comments at Kentucky.

No word on Jay Howard's future that I have seen. Sarah Fisher commented that they may have to sell at least one car to help fund 2011: I doubt that SFR will continue to run more than one car at any event, outside of perhaps Indy. Per her comments at Chicagoland.

Graham Rahal passed on a two year deal with Dale Coyne before the season started, in expection of putting together a deal with Ganassi for 2011. He is currently rumored to be looking for a ride next year, with no mention of a possibility at Ganassi since around March 2010.

You might recall Rahal was prominent as "one of the gang" with Dixon and Franchitti at the Chicago reveal of the Delta Wing. He's been working with just about everyone else since.

It's hard to imagine that Ganassi will fund a third car, since Delta Wing announced they are building a prototype without significant outside funding. I'd believe that most of this is on Chip's dime.

I'm pretty sure that Franchitti is under contract for 2011, and there has been some talk about Scott Dixon's future that is unclear.

Bobby Rahal says the prospects for Rahal/ Letterman racing to rejoin the series are 50/50. Per his comments in Chicago. I'd be surprised.

With Honda's apparent proposal to cut profit margins on their engine lease program, it is fair to speculate that the Honda Formula Dream sponsorships of Mutoh and Sato may be in doubt in the future. Pure conjecture on my part.

There continues to be rumors that several smaller teams are "running on empty". My guess would be that HVM, De Ferran Dragon, Dale Coyne, and Newman Haas are underfunded. Dreyer and Reinbold and their team manager Larry Curry are always talking about funding shortfalls.

Per comments from Brian Barnhart, they are going to add to the challenge of Milka Duno retaining her competition lisence for next year. I would not expect to see her, or the Citgo sponsorship, return. That is Dale Coyne's current lifeline to fund both Lloyd's and Duno's entries.

Fazzt Racing (Tagliani) started the season with four cars and Jim Freudenberg as a partner. Other than Indy, they have only run one car for Tag. Freudenberg was ousted, he was supposed to bring sponsorship that did not materialize. Fazzt has managed to continue to pick up associate sponsors, but their long term health is unknown.

Sam Schmidt Motorsports bought Vision Racing's shop and equipment. Whether he plans to move up to IndyCar from Indy Lights is not known.

Vision is likely gone, the car that Carpenter currently races is owned by Panther and crewed by ex-Vision team members. What happened to Vision's cars is unknown, they had 3 3/4 cars when I spoke to them around April. I would consider Ed Carpenter as a free agent.

Lotus originally said that they were going to run a two-car team, and it was never clear whether this would be a separate entity or run in conjunction with KV. What they are up to for next season is unknown.

Last-minute deals put a number of cars on the grid for 2010, and partial packages have helped to keep grids full with part-time rides. Most of this came as a surprise to me, so my own projections might be labeled as pessimistic.

I didn't think this season was going to continue as well as it has. However, there is underlying concern for revenue sources that is not apparent when we watch the races this year...

Other than the poor attendance, poor TV ratings, and blank sidepods on some of the race cars.

Some of the new Series sponsorship deals that have been announced are not very signigicant: the Hertz Rent-a-car deal is only six figures, although the amount they will dedicate to advertising is unknown. How the Sunoco deal will be leveraged, or the amount of the investment, has not been announced.

IndyCar marketing plan announcement promised by Bernard for Sept. 15.

That's all I can think of for now, but silly season stuff is a lot of speculation that doesn't seem worthwhile to me. A lot of people enjoy it, so Enjoy!

If anyone has facts to dispute any of that information, please fire away.
Old 7 Sep 2010, 09:31 (Ref:2755558)   #17
marcostraz
Veteran

I think that we can make this summary, that is very very preliminar:

Almost sure:
2/3 Penske: Castroneves-Briscoe and/or Power?
2 Ganassi: Franchitti and Dixon(?) or Rahal (?) or Wilson* (?)
4 Andretti: Andretti and Kanaan and Patrick (?) and/or Hunter-Reay (?)
1 Panther: Rahal (?)
2 D&R: Wilson (?) and Conway (?) or Hildebrand (?) or Beatriz (?)
1 deFerran/Luczo: Matos (?)
2/3 KV/Lotus: Sato (?) or Viso (?) or Moraes (?) or Wheldon (?)
1/2 NHR: Mutoh (?) or (?)
1 Foyt: Meira (?)
1/2 Coyne: (?)
1/2 Conquest: (?)
1 FAZZT: Tagliani (?)
1/2 HVM: De Silvestro (?) or Strous (?)

Possibile:
1 AFS: Carroll (?) or (?)
1 Walker/Beck: (?)
1 Herta: (?)
1 Schmidt: (?)
1 Fisher: Fisher (?) or (?)

* Last year Wilson raced at the Daytona 24h with Ganassi...I think this was an interesting partnership...for IndyCar too...
Old 7 Sep 2010, 14:11 (Ref:2755716)   #18
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Lotus + Wheldon would be interesting.
Old 7 Sep 2010, 17:38 (Ref:2755815)   #19
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Mia Funzalo will not be in the third Ganassi car next season.

Her funds are low.
Old 7 Sep 2010, 18:44 (Ref:2755852)   #20
marcostraz
Veteran

Who is Mia Funzalo?
Old 7 Sep 2010, 19:43 (Ref:2755883)   #21
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
It's a joke.

Funzalo = funds are low.
Old 7 Sep 2010, 20:17 (Ref:2755905)   #22
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on Jag, we work at a far lower gag level than that here mate.
Old 7 Sep 2010, 20:40 (Ref:2755919)   #23
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've just heard from a VERY reliable source that Ryan Briscoe still may not be back at Penske next year despite his contract. Looking at marcostraz's list it still seems like there are A LOT of question marks. I just hope half these teams will be around next year. If Duno is gone next year (and her CITGO money) what happens to Coyne? I think this may be their last year of Indycar Racing.

Also, what about Sarah Fisher Racing, don't you think If Dollar General wants to stay as a sponsor in indycar they would want to go to a bigger team like Andretti? I know its great to support the little guys(and girls) but if I were Dollar General I would not be at all pleased with the results.

As for Wheldon, I think he goes to BTCC. Remember you must pay to get your ride at KV, unlike Panther where they have sponsorship from the National Guard. Unless Foyt fires Meira and Wheldon takes over his ride in 2011.
Old 7 Sep 2010, 20:55 (Ref:2755924)   #24
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Not sure I'd label Foyt Racing as competitive enough, or well enough funded, to suit Wheldon's expectations.

I don't think we can be sure about much of anything until March though.

And wouldn't it be interesting if an IndyCar driver or two goes down under to race the V8 Supercars, and decides he is having way too much fun...
Old 7 Sep 2010, 21:42 (Ref:2755950)   #25
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
I've just heard from a VERY reliable source that Ryan Briscoe still may not be back at Penske next year despite his contract. Looking at marcostraz's list it still seems like there are A LOT of question marks. I just hope half these teams will be around next year. If Duno is gone next year (and her CITGO money) what happens to Coyne? I think this may be their last year of Indycar Racing.

Also, what about Sarah Fisher Racing, don't you think If Dollar General wants to stay as a sponsor in indycar they would want to go to a bigger team like Andretti? I know its great to support the little guys(and girls) but if I were Dollar General I would not be at all pleased with the results.

As for Wheldon, I think he goes to BTCC. Remember you must pay to get your ride at KV, unlike Panther where they have sponsorship from the National Guard. Unless Foyt fires Meira and Wheldon takes over his ride in 2011.
Coyne will need a new ride-buyer. Viso or someone like him. It is highly unlikely they can do two cars again in 2011, though, unless they have two fully-funded ride-buyers.

Dollar General put the big money into their NASCAR program, and it's probably pretty cheap to sponsor a part-time season for Sarah Fisher. Considering Fisher gets a lot of coverage every time she races, it's probably a better deal than spending the same to get a decal on an Andretti car for the full year. Results are about sales, not podium finishes, so I guess they see the sense in it.

You have to pay for your rides in BTCC, too, and Wheldon seems to be happier racing in the U.S. I'd see him in Grand-Am or trying to do the stock car thing sooner. Is the Lotus-sponsored KV car a rent-a-ride? I'm sure he has enough value (the Indy 500 performance alone) to get something if he's willing to do it for less money than he's used to. Big if, I guess.