Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 May 2011, 17:06 (Ref:2881726)   #26
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would not risk going all the way to Spa with Jubilee clips - just in case. Proper bolt through clamps are really quite cheap - I've bought some and the postage is more than the clamps.

It's always easier to make the scrutineer's life easy.
Old 19 May 2011, 11:59 (Ref:2882588)   #27
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All of this crap really annoys me,the organisers are so quick and willing to chuck someone out over something such as this,yet refuse to do ANYTHING about the non compliant cars they readily accept,as long as the poxy fire extinguisher brackets comply!!!!!!! Common sense? now that would be a welcome change.
Old 19 May 2011, 15:47 (Ref:2882689)   #28
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
All of this crap really annoys me,the organisers are so quick and willing to chuck someone out over something such as this,yet refuse to do ANYTHING about the non compliant cars they readily accept,as long as the poxy fire extinguisher brackets comply!!!!!!! Common sense? now that would be a welcome change.
surely that's down to the demarcation betwen safety scrutes and eligibility scrutes isn't it?
Old 19 May 2011, 15:57 (Ref:2882696)   #29
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or possibly that a member of the FIA Board has connections to a bracket maker Who discovered that the original brackets were sub standard?
How were the Bolted design tested to FIA safety standards? No,didn't think they had been!!!!!!!! It's nothing more than some pleb sitting at a desk with nothing better to do than dream up yet more pointless changes to introduce.

[ note to FIA,FIRE HIM!!!]

The point is that something as simple as this can wreck some unsuspecting poor sod a lot of grief,why not just change the scrutt's role's,should help Historic Racing no end. Total B*****ks.
Old 19 May 2011, 16:05 (Ref:2882704)   #30
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
well a rant here, while always making one feel better, goes nowhere.
So what is the official channel from a UK competitor, through MSA representation and on up to the FIA?
Old 19 May 2011, 16:08 (Ref:2882706)   #31
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
well a rant here, while always making one feel better, goes nowhere.
So what is the official channel from a UK competitor, through MSA representation and on up to the FIA?
But these pages DO get read

Forget going straight to FIA,they only refer you to the MSA,then you wait,and wait-------------------------------

Yep,do feel better.
Old 22 May 2011, 20:49 (Ref:2884100)   #32
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I decided to get a few days away in June, and flit over to this meeting. Where do you fly to? and where does one stay?

What is the best way to do this?
Old 23 May 2011, 07:17 (Ref:2884238)   #33
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Choice of Liege at around 40Klm away,or theres Hahne in Germany,a little further away but around 20 minuits away. Liege would be your best bet though,one road will take you more or less straight to the circuit,E42 leave at junction 10 to Francorchamps.
I have an entry,if I decide to go,it would be great to meet up for a beer Sam.
Old 23 May 2011, 10:17 (Ref:2884342)   #34
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think there are any flights into Liege from the UK. It is a big freight hub and handles a few charter flights.

Brussels is the nearest large airport with plenty of flights.

Frankfurt Hahn is the best part of 2 hours away.

So Brussels is probably simpler.
Old 23 May 2011, 10:35 (Ref:2884353)   #35
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
If I decided to get a few days away in June, and flit over to this meeting. Where do you fly to? and where does one stay?

If you are flying yourself over in a light plane you may have a few options but I don't think there would be much right on the doorstep. A chopper would be possible I presume.

As for accomodation - I thought sleeping in a truck or trailer was compulsory for Classic events at Spa. All part of the experience.
Old 23 May 2011, 10:49 (Ref:2884356)   #36
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post

As for accomodation - I thought sleeping in a truck or trailer was compulsory for Classic events at Spa. All part of the experience.
Especially as they seem to forget to switch off the PA system and leave it playing dodgy euro-trash music all night long.....
Old 23 May 2011, 11:04 (Ref:2884366)   #37
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best option for you is Ryanair, Dublin to Charleroi, 90 mins drive max. or hire a tandem!. Flights are very inexpensive at the moment. Lots of places to stay locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post

Old 23 May 2011, 12:51 (Ref:2884439)   #38
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
Especially as they seem to forget to switch off the PA system and leave it playing dodgy euro-trash music all night long.....
I didn't notice that last Autumn Roger. In fact I don't think we had any PA facilities down the hill in the 'lower' paddock. It was really rather pleasantly quiet - until the early session meant there was a need to start the Galaxie before most people seemed to be awake.

I suspect it shook most people out of their sleeping bags.
Old 23 May 2011, 15:29 (Ref:2884530)   #39
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
I don't think there are any flights into Liege from the UK. It is a big freight hub and handles a few charter flights.

Brussels is the nearest large airport with plenty of flights.

Frankfurt Hahn is the best part of 2 hours away.

So Brussels is probably simpler.

Ah,yes,forgot it was a private flight into Liege.
Old 23 May 2011, 16:31 (Ref:2884567)   #40
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Quote:
Ah,yes,forgot it was a private flight into Liege.
Ahh the life of a pro driver!
Old 23 May 2011, 20:17 (Ref:2884722)   #41
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:

Dont you know it Roger.

Did they get back to you RE, Motor home?
Old 23 May 2011, 20:17 (Ref:2884723)   #42
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
jerryk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
If you are flying yourself over in a light plane you may have a few options but I don't think there would be much right on the doorstep. A chopper would be possible I presume.
no not much choice , just a lovely airfield called "SPA " about 2 miles down the road to Spa.
Old 23 May 2011, 20:22 (Ref:2884727)   #43
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
The name Fort Knox springs to mind! Takes weeks to get permission unfortunately Jerry.
Helicopters are allowed in Le Roannay.
Old 23 May 2011, 21:21 (Ref:2884761)   #44
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
The name Fort Knox springs to mind! Takes weeks to get permission unfortunately Jerry.
I don't suppose it is possible now but 'in the old days' people, from time to time, would land at places and argue the toss later.

Such is progress.
Old 23 May 2011, 21:27 (Ref:2884767)   #45
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Has its own Wikipedia page.

And a web page.

(Assuming this is the one jerry meant.)
Old 24 May 2011, 06:43 (Ref:2884951)   #46
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I didn't know Terry was the driver of the transfer vehicle to the circuit ;o)
Old 24 May 2011, 08:55 (Ref:2885019)   #47
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
I didn't know Terry was the driver of the transfer vehicle to the circuit ;o)

Simon,get a different life,you are becoming sooo predictable
Old 24 May 2011, 09:20 (Ref:2885033)   #48
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Simon,get a different life,you are becoming sooo predictable
Terry if I could live the dream as you do I would - sadly I am not as good a driver..
Old 15 Jun 2011, 15:36 (Ref:2899566)   #49
Leo Landman
Rookie

Netherlands
Netherlands
Leo Landman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To wrap this thread up, in the end the scrutineers only looked at the labels inside the driver's outfit (including socks), seat and belts. My (1 month) overdue extinguisher with over-centre straps passed without a second glance. Other drivers had to buy some new gear in the shops in the paddock (who seemd to be fully prepared for this occasion). They didn't even look at the car.

The PA was dead quiet this time. The silence only rudely broken by an unmuffled Corvette that was started at midnight, and several times after that.
I've often wondered if there's such a thing as paddock etiquette?
Old 15 Jun 2011, 15:41 (Ref:2899569)   #50
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Landman View Post
To wrap this thread up, in the end the scrutineers only looked at the labels inside the driver's outfit (including socks), seat and belts. My (1 month) overdue extinguisher with over-centre straps passed without a second glance. Other drivers had to buy some new gear in the shops in the paddock (who seemd to be fully prepared for this occasion). They didn't even look at the car.
Par for the course. I suspect that the scrutineers are related to the stall holders.