Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Oct 2020, 14:33 (Ref:4011513)   #101
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Missed all what was going on at Goodwood. Catching up and found that our very own tenther Will Nuthall won F1 race so well done Will.
Old 19 Oct 2020, 18:15 (Ref:4011538)   #102
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
Why bother build or run a Group 1+ car when it's something that wasn't there that outpaces everyone?
Good question. As JR said, its Goodwood.
Old 19 Oct 2020, 19:46 (Ref:4011546)   #103
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
On reflection can anyone tell me what Ford were thinking when, instead of running the Mach E around to set a lap time, they gave it to some wassock who spent the time spinning it around. As someone who still has a deposit on one, I'm seriously thinking that perhaps Ford are not confident in the capabilities of the car.
his company built it
Old 19 Oct 2020, 19:49 (Ref:4011547)   #104
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was the Ford 1400 the demonstrator they built to show off the technology.
Old 20 Oct 2020, 07:21 (Ref:4011601)   #105
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
I enjoyed what I saw of the excellent live streaming and applaud Goodwood for creating a really good, well covered event.

I know that they are experienced in streaming the MM and Revival, the tricky thing is monetising it, but as they get such good content in both cars and drivers (Emmo driving one of his old cars for example) perhaps it could be packaged up into an appealing offer. Maybe you become a 'virtual' GWRC member for extra cache, this would have wider appeal in and outside the UK. More appealing to certain sponsors as you have an active list of 'subscribers' to directly market to and you can also brand the live stream easily.

It is always a risk to attach a cost to what was a free live stream, but I doubt many organisers could survive another year like 2020 and as Covid is likely to be with us long term in whatever form, an exploration of other business models that don't rely on packing thousands into the venue is a worthwile exercise over the winter break IMO.
Old 20 Oct 2020, 07:32 (Ref:4011606)   #106
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes I think it was well done although I only watched on Sunday afternoon. Interesting to see the autonomous vehicle and other stuff non petrol related.
Old 20 Oct 2020, 08:12 (Ref:4011614)   #107
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I would cough up to watch a streamed meeting if it was comparable to what the normal the cost might be at the gate?

Possibly not for a GP though!
Old 20 Oct 2020, 08:25 (Ref:4011617)   #108
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I dipped in and out of the streaming and thought it was very well done. I watched Fri via the website and used Youtube over ther weekend due to the rewind facility.

Obviously entrants/drivers were different to usual for obvious reasons.

Driving standards were much better on Sunday . . . a fair few retirements as well, a lack of testing maybe, or are we going through another development phase ?

A lot of talk about PPV in football at the moment, I've been saying for some time clubs should offer a TV season ticket . . . . If it's pitched right it would sell, even if you can go to the revival its so busy now I'm not sure many could cope with more than one day as a mere punter!
Old 20 Oct 2020, 11:52 (Ref:4011641)   #109
Brynmor
Rookie

Brynmor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood kind of already have a pay per view platform through the fellowship, which many joined purely to watch the members meeting.

PPV is something I’ve been considering a lot lately with my work hat on, running events (rallying) is incredibly tricky currently, but I’m not really sure the Rally crowd would pay. They baulk at £10 to park usually.

In racing there are several different offerings from the Goodwood example through to content streamed on Facebook live etc. All are great in their own way but would a ppv model be supported long term? I’m really not sure.
Old 20 Oct 2020, 13:48 (Ref:4011653)   #110
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
A great example of what not to do in the St Marys qualifying this morning.

Minis racing, one crashed, yellows not red and an Alfa slams into the back of it, only at Goodwood.

Just saw JR giving Gareth a Gee up, 11th in the Elva, good work.
I was standing at the chicane. As soon as the Mini thumped the bank marshals waved double yellows and waved drivers to slow down, which they all did, except the Alfa. Goodness knows why but he took an outside line, presumably preparing to get on with things. Unfortunately he collected the Mini. Luckily its driver had vacated. As you say: Only at Goodwood.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6580.jpg  
Old 20 Oct 2020, 17:28 (Ref:4011679)   #111
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynmor View Post
Goodwood kind of already have a pay per view platform through the fellowship, which many joined purely to watch the members meeting.

PPV is something I’ve been considering a lot lately with my work hat on, running events (rallying) is incredibly tricky currently, but I’m not really sure the Rally crowd would pay. They baulk at £10 to park usually.

In racing there are several different offerings from the Goodwood example through to content streamed on Facebook live etc. All are great in their own way but would a ppv model be supported long term? I’m really not sure.
Depends how you package it and present it, opens up an audience who perhaps can't attend and overseas viewers. Their 'product' is good, arguably the most diverse cars across the year and with all the right names attending.

Goodwood could almost become a live motorsport magazine. If I was in their shoes I would explore and perhaps trial it by making some content ppv. Providing you get can the cars and drivers there, a virtual event is Covid risk free, whereas until we get a vaccine public events are always going to be at risk. I doubt even Goodwood would survive another 2020.
Old 20 Oct 2020, 19:12 (Ref:4011695)   #112
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Effectively some of the content on the Gooodwood you tube channel is already ppv since it is only available to members for which there is a subscription.
Old 20 Oct 2020, 20:04 (Ref:4011701)   #113
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Effectively some of the content on the Gooodwood you tube channel is already ppv since it is only available to members for which there is a subscription.
Yes, I have noticed that..... they post a link to a trailer, but when you want to see the full video it is for Goodwood Fellowship paid up members only.

I wanted to watch "M1 Procar: Two Years of Heaven" and met with that.
Old 20 Oct 2020, 21:20 (Ref:4011708)   #114
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrognome View Post
I was standing at the chicane. As soon as the Mini thumped the bank marshals waved double yellows and waved drivers to slow down, which they all did, except the Alfa. Goodness knows why but he took an outside line, presumably preparing to get on with things. Unfortunately he collected the Mini. Luckily its driver had vacated. As you say: Only at Goodwood.
Mini Racing Incident - Alfa Driver ran out of talent
Old 21 Oct 2020, 07:55 (Ref:4011754)   #115
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Marshalls were good I thought, double waved yelows were crystal clear on my ipad!
I can't believe you wouldn't havee seen flags on the approach to the chicane.

I wonder if the marshalls waved instinctively as opposed to being directed by race control. No idea what they were watching.
Old 21 Oct 2020, 08:24 (Ref:4011758)   #116
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I think the only gripe with Goodwood in all its forms now is that it has become an American Musclefest apart from the St Mary's and S F Edge trophies. That said the opportunity to race on the circuit would outweigh any gripes like that.
Old 21 Oct 2020, 08:56 (Ref:4011766)   #117
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Really great weekend of action, certainly will be interesting what happens with future Goodwood events after some of the things they experimented this weekend. Really there was enough to get the juices flowing
Old 21 Oct 2020, 10:14 (Ref:4011778)   #118
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
... I wonder if the marshalls waved instinctively as opposed to being directed by race control. No idea what they were watching.
They're not instructed for yellow flags, only red flag instructions are issued from race control.
Old 21 Oct 2020, 10:18 (Ref:4011779)   #119
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
That's what I thought.

St MArys was infiltrated by V8's years ago . . . the Plymouth Barracuda set the alrm bells off 15 odd years ago . . . Mickys old Studebaker got pumped ful of steroids after he sold it. Most of the v8's aren't in anyway period to the UK, let alone Goodwood.
Old 21 Oct 2020, 11:19 (Ref:4011793)   #120
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That's what I thought.

St MArys was infiltrated by V8's years ago . . . the Plymouth Barracuda set the alrm bells off 15 odd years ago . . . Mickys old Studebaker got pumped ful of steroids after he sold it. Most of the v8's aren't in anyway period to the UK, let alone Goodwood.
Goodwood have said that much of their audience is in the States and the races were timed with that in mind. Guess lots of American winners will go down well over there. Was it all paid for by the sponsors or were entry fees charged?
Old 21 Oct 2020, 11:41 (Ref:4011795)   #121
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I watched most of Sunday and thought it was excellent. In fact, if it were PPV I'd probably shell out in future. Not sure of a membership scheme, I'm happy to pay for what I want not the fringe benefits I don't use. Ten or twenty quid for the weekend to access the stream would be acceptable to me.
Old 21 Oct 2020, 12:24 (Ref:4011815)   #122
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wish I'd had my Laptop with me, I was away on holiday in Yorkshire and made the mistake of watching it on ITV. Absolute rubbish, poor presenter, poor camera work. Land Rover obviously paid a lot of money to have pieces on the Range Rover and Discovery put in.
Old 22 Oct 2020, 08:26 (Ref:4011921)   #123
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Agreed, not enough racing and too much other stuff.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 22 Oct 2020, 13:25 (Ref:4011976)   #124
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I thought the touch to Stirling was quite well done. Did enjoy the music Mr Knopfler played to it
Old 22 Oct 2020, 14:19 (Ref:4011985)   #125
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes that was good.