Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 15 Dec 2004, 13:30 (Ref:1180001)   #1
Frank_White
Racer

Frank_White should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should Lewis Hamilton Do GP 2?

I would venture to say, that his overall performances (especially in Macau and Bahrain) indicate that he is fully developed as an F-3 driver.

For him to stay in the F-3 euroseries can only pose an un-necessary risk to his career.

This is a perfect time to join GP 2 however, the series is completely new and the cream of drivers outside of F-1 will be participating. If he does well there (or wins the series) his stock as a racing driver will dramatically increase.

However, it appears that he might have a problem with funding next year, because some websites are reporting that he has not renewed the terms of his contract with Mercedes and Mclaren. The fact that his Bahrain victory is not mentioned on the McLaren website gives credence to such rumours.

Without Mercedes backing and influence I definately see no reason for Lewis to do the euro-series next year. Furthermore, despite Manor's advancment, it is very unlikely that their cars will be up to ASM standards in 2005.

Last edited by Frank_White; 15 Dec 2004 at 13:32.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 13:36 (Ref:1180006)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As far as I know, Lewis is still very much a McLaren-backed driver.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 14:14 (Ref:1180068)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If he can get the support to run GP2, he'd be well-advised to, as he'll know some of the tracks, and the guys with F3000 experience may not be at a big advantage. GP2 should give better training to up-and-coming drivers, produce a more accurate impression of ability, and gain more respect from F1 teams. He really needs to get into F1 fairly soon, otherwise the positions could go to guys like Nelsinho. The McLaren-backed Dubai team could be a possibility?

Last edited by BootsOntheSide; 15 Dec 2004 at 14:19. Reason: wanted to go into more GP2 detail
Old 15 Dec 2004, 14:23 (Ref:1180081)   #4
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually sseing him fighting nelsinho, Nico etc would be absolutely exciting
Old 15 Dec 2004, 14:26 (Ref:1180089)   #5
JJ Jet Plane
Racer

JJ Jet Plane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's no way Lewis will do GP2 – I think that's the problem with McLaren. They think he should stay in F3. He should stay in F3 anyway – two wins in 25-odd races doesn't indicate that he's ready to move on yet.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 18:47 (Ref:1180402)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
gp2 still doesn't have much point to it if you're already playing with an f1 team like lewis is. it still seems to be a bit of an exhibition-style last-chance formula.

(cheesy voice over .... "are you a racing driver? have you not been spotted by a f1 team but you've got buckets of cash to throw away? why not race in gp2, and show f1 teams you've got what it takes")
Old 15 Dec 2004, 18:57 (Ref:1180420)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Most of the rookies we've seen in F1 in recent years haven't been on the pace.

GP2 looks like a good preparation - experience of racing in the F1 environment, grooved tyres, longer races etc.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 20:33 (Ref:1180507)   #8
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
GP2 may or not be a good thing - as yet we don't know enough about it - but in answer to the question, no, it is definitely not the place for Lewis Hamilton next year. He is doing just fine, but still has a way to go before he's ready to move up.

Take a look at how Renault are bringing Heikki Kovalainen along as an example of how it should be done.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 09:28 (Ref:1180857)   #9
toot toot
Racer

toot toot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hamilton has a contract with McLaren until he is 21, and obviously if they both want to it can be extended beyond that. With this McLaren will be supportinging him in F3euroseries next season, not GP2.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 14:10 (Ref:1181100)   #10
farcnield

I think Lewis should stay in Euro F3 next year, in the interests ofhis career he needs to win alot more races and possibly the championship. I think the ASM domination will not be as strong next year although it is alwayspossible to bring similar direction into a new car set-up essentially it a is a new car and restricted testing will make it closer to begin with. I beleive Lewis should stay at Manor (greatbunch of lads) and watch closley as to which teams are getting to grips with the new GP2 car as it will be different to the old lola assuming this cars rear ARB works!! Then when he can see a good team for GP 2 test and sign up. Taking a risk in GP 2 this commming year is possibly disasterous, and without any hugh success behind him careers can start to slow down!!

Old 16 Dec 2004, 14:59 (Ref:1181125)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

I imagine the plan would be for Lewis to do Euro F3 again next year and step into GP2 in 2006.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 16:29 (Ref:1181182)   #12
Rees
Rookie

Brazil
Sao Paulo - Brasil
Rees should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am almost sure he'll do F3 Euroseries again
Team Interwetten #30
World Series by Renault 2005
Old 16 Dec 2004, 16:35 (Ref:1181193)   #13
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think he will be looking to become the champion in Euro Formula 3 next season and he has all the experience required to do that. GP2 would be moving on without completing the job.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 17:02 (Ref:1181215)   #14
Rees
Rookie

Brazil
Sao Paulo - Brasil
I feel the same thing about GP2
Team Interwetten #30
Old 16 Dec 2004, 17:45 (Ref:1181238)   #15
Frank_White
Racer

Frank_White should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reality is that Lewis has been a Champion in every series that he has raced in; Through multiple levels of Karting and a domination of Formula Renault in his second year. It is hardly necessary that he becomes a Champion in the euro-series as well. The question must be, "is Lewis fully matured as a F-3 driver?" If the consensus is that he has more to learn then definately he should stay in the euro-series for another year. If however, his management feels that he has fully matured then he should move on.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 17:57 (Ref:1181248)   #16
Rees
Rookie

Brazil
Sao Paulo - Brasil
IMO if he jumps to GP2 in 2005 it will not be good for his image
Team Interwetten #30
Old 16 Dec 2004, 19:04 (Ref:1181293)   #17
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
BillyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but from what i have been told is that...

At the moment McLaren pay him a wage and pay for all his racing but in 2005 they didnt want to pay him a wage and just pay for his racing. His father objected to this and from what i have heard they are still working out a deal for 2005
Old 18 Dec 2004, 08:28 (Ref:1182381)   #18
105octane
Veteran

105octane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see at Macau he had different sponsors on the car to what he normally has.
I also think he should stay with Euro F3 to get another championship on his CV
he is certainly capable of it now after his efforts at Macau.
He deserves to be in F1 hes a polished act.
Old 18 Dec 2004, 21:27 (Ref:1182789)   #19
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
With Lewis Hamilton on board, Mercedes is going to sell a lot of vehicules, especially trucks throughout all of Africa. He is an incredible promotional instrument. His talent is a certainty, so I wouldn't worry for his future.
Old 19 Dec 2004, 11:07 (Ref:1183081)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Why would a British driver help Mercedes sell vehicles in Africa?
Old 19 Dec 2004, 12:22 (Ref:1183122)   #21
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just what I was thinking...maybe karimbo was thinking along the lines of skin colour? But I still don't think that'd help sell vehicles in Africa!
Old 19 Dec 2004, 14:07 (Ref:1183175)   #22
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Just what I was thinking...maybe karimbo was thinking along the lines of skin colour?
That is good for global motorsport though.
Old 19 Dec 2004, 14:52 (Ref:1183190)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very good indeed - it would help attract interest in a lot more countries if the grid in F1 (or any other leading motorsport) wasn't made up almost entirely of Caucasian faces with a few token oriental drivers.
Old 19 Dec 2004, 16:01 (Ref:1183228)   #24
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As i have previously said. Lewis offers amazing marketing opportunities to companies if he becomes the first good black Formula 1 driver. The situation is very similar to that with Tiger Woods/ Williams sisters. He will be able to open up markets to motor sport and associated companies which are currently not available to them. I am sure this has all been considered when Mclaren decided to take him under their wing at such an early age. And having drivers of different origins can only be good for the sport. If i am correct Mclaren also support a Chinese driver.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 12:44 (Ref:1183882)   #25
Dr Venom
Racer

Dr Venom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frankie Chang is surported by Mclaren, or was, and i do believe he got a drive in the f1 car before lewis (chinese GP)