Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Aug 2007, 08:44 (Ref:1993367)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
BMW retain Nick and Robert for 2008

Nice to know that you've got a job next season.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61652
Old 21 Aug 2007, 09:26 (Ref:1993401)   #2
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Not really surprising, the two of them are doing a pretty good job. That puts an end to the 'Alonso to BMW' speculation for the time being, too.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 21 Aug 2007, 10:00 (Ref:1993431)   #3
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Smart move.

Both Nick and Robert had performed pretty well for BMW this season, putting up strong races and getting good results. And besides a small blip at Nurburgring, both drivers have so far managed to work together pretty well too, and to continue this relationship as BMW tries to build on this season's success is a good call.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 10:01 (Ref:1993432)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Puts an end to the 'Heidfeld to Toyota' rumour too.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 10:52 (Ref:1993476)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
This is sound judgement by Dr Thiessen overall.

Yes I suppose he could have replaced one of them but would anyone available (excluding potentially available) done a better job than either of these 2 guys. Unlikely.

Nick is in a kind of Indian Summer of his F1 career and may well reap benefit of an even more competitive package next season. Kubica on the other hand keeps getting better and surely is a future WDC?
Old 21 Aug 2007, 11:04 (Ref:1993489)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This could prove to be the second-best line-up in F1 next season, maybe even the best if McLaren make a panic change. An experienced and reliable (Nurburgring excepted) team leader alongside an improving young charger from a developing market. Perfect combination.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 11:04 (Ref:1993491)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good move for BMW, for sure.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 11:08 (Ref:1993495)   #8
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well this starts the "Seb Vettel to replace Alonso at McLaren" rumour
Old 21 Aug 2007, 12:28 (Ref:1993574)   #9
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any idea if its for more than 1 year?
Old 21 Aug 2007, 13:47 (Ref:1993645)   #10
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Good move on BMW's part I think..Some stability in a team for a change.

Last edited by JeremySmith; 21 Aug 2007 at 13:50.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 16:13 (Ref:1993770)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sensible stuff indeed. Good news.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 20:09 (Ref:1994002)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's for sure... BMW will be stepping up to the second position next season.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 20:27 (Ref:1994020)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Logical decision.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 23:27 (Ref:1994148)   #14
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
That's for sure... BMW will be stepping up to the second position next season.
I love the BMW team, but who do you see falling behind?
Old 22 Aug 2007, 06:31 (Ref:1994259)   #15
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they both deserved a 2 year contract. Im pressuming they have just been given a 1 year?

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 22 Aug 2007, 06:39 (Ref:1994265)   #16
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Who knows?

At least 1-yr with options, I would say.

There is no reason for BMW not to include options.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 08:04 (Ref:1994309)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton

There is no reason for BMW not to include options.
This would be inline with their road car policy.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 08:08 (Ref:1994312)   #18
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Inline?

I did not realise they were so radically hip and street.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 08:44 (Ref:1994337)   #19
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I think the Nick deal is to keep him on his toes, as the BMW management are aware he responds best when put under a little pressure to perform.

A good decision, no-one available could do a better job than these 2 in a BMW in 08...

I don't doubt that the original plan was to boot Nick out for next season, but Kubica's struggle to get to grips with the new tyres, and Nicks' consistently strong performances forced a re-think.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 09:23 (Ref:1994360)   #20
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
I have always struggled to understand the idea that BMW were intending on giving Nick the shove.

I just do not understand how it could make sense on any level.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 12:35 (Ref:1994479)   #21
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider
I don't doubt that the original plan was to boot Nick out for next season, but Kubica's struggle to get to grips with the new tyres, and Nicks' consistently strong performances forced a re-think.
Similar to Dutton, I don't get the notion that Nick was supposed to be booted, either. Who should have replaced him? I don't think there is another driver besides the Top-4 that is nearly as quick and consistent as he is.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 12:59 (Ref:1994491)   #22
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nick has a contract til the end of 09 with an option for 10(i assume the team has the option).
Old 22 Aug 2007, 13:38 (Ref:1994505)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider
Is this an official statement ?
Old 22 Aug 2007, 17:44 (Ref:1994637)   #24
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not forgetting Vettel being as good as them - scoring points on his debut.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 17:48 (Ref:1994640)   #25
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No reason to mess with a good thing. Nick and Robert have put BMW on the brink of breaking into the top echelon of constructors; keep building up in development over the winter, and that combination can be a big winner next season.