Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 6 Sep 2006, 10:48 (Ref:1703144)   #126
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
a race is a race, who care who its with, its Spa ! at least your going Peter, tuneel 08:30 Thu for us . . . see you there if not en route.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 11:32 (Ref:1703203)   #127
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good luck to all of you. Don't forget to provide us with accounts of your derring-dos upon your return.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 11:51 (Ref:1703229)   #128
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
08:15 ferry on the Thurs. Wanted to enter both but couldnt sort my schedule in time.

Rear end of car being rebuilt after I knackered it at Silverstone! Axle, dampers, Bushes etc.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 12:19 (Ref:1703257)   #129
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
08:15 ferry on the Thurs. Wanted to enter both but couldnt sort my schedule in time.

Rear end of car being rebuilt after I knackered it at Silverstone! Axle, dampers, Bushes etc.
you may well see us on the way then, we'll most likely shop in Calais and head east thereafter

I've just rebuilt my rearend as well, I found loose worn bolts and bushes.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 16:49 (Ref:1703470)   #130
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
I've just rebuilt my rearend as well, I found loose worn bolts and bushes.
And what about the car, Zef?
Old 6 Sep 2006, 16:55 (Ref:1703474)   #131
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 7 Sep 2006, 13:05 (Ref:1704127)   #132
DanWray
Rookie

England
DanWray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We are hopefully running our HRSR Cortina at the Spa meeting, but can't decide which diff would be best 4:1 or 4:4. Has anyone got any relevant knowledge of which would be the better choice?
Old 7 Sep 2006, 16:55 (Ref:1704283)   #133
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
depends on your engine, but I'd never run a 4.1, unless you have a 2 litre twincam that can pull it !

John, if you make sure one rear ends in good shape the other can look after itself . . .Peter should know the feeling
Old 8 Sep 2006, 14:06 (Ref:1705186)   #134
DanWray
Rookie

England
Quote:
depends on your engine, but I'd never run a 4.1, unless you have a 2 litre twincam that can pull it !
4:1 it is then
Old 8 Sep 2006, 14:11 (Ref:1705191)   #135
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWray
4:1 it is then
As a matter of interest what times would you expect to do in a 2 litre L-C, sub 3 minutes? Ae you allowed to run Yokis as well? I am in teh same HSCC race but in my Merlyn
Old 8 Sep 2006, 14:32 (Ref:1705208)   #136
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I've seen a hot rod LC run under 3 minutes . . .it was virtually space framed, on yokis with EFi, 215 BHP !

suffice to say it didn't have App K papers
Old 11 Sep 2006, 12:14 (Ref:1707896)   #137
DanWray
Rookie

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
As a matter of interest what times would you expect to do in a 2 litre L-C, sub 3 minutes? Ae you allowed to run Yokis as well? I am in teh same HSCC race but in my Merlyn
Not sure what times to expect, not been before. I don't even know if we would be allowed to run the Yokos, i know some of the HSCC/HRSR competitors in the past have run them but i don't know which race they entered or if the regs have changed since. The car is set-up to run on the Dunlops so a change to the Yokos would mean messing around with the suspension set-up which would be a pain. I'd prefere to run a familiar handling car on an unfamiliar circuit then a unfamiliar car on an unfamiliar circuit even if we could get a few extra seconds a lap using them.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 18:14 (Ref:1708164)   #138
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
read the regs, no yokis
Old 13 Sep 2006, 18:26 (Ref:1709707)   #139
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the HSCC race allows them if your series in HSCC does. All academic as HSCC are not allowed to run sports racers (along with Top Hat and BRSCC race) apparently new rules at Spa seriously restrict the grid if you allow s/racers in the same grid as saloon car
Old 13 Sep 2006, 21:57 (Ref:1709819)   #140
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
I think the HSCC race allows them if your series in HSCC does. All academic as HSCC are not allowed to run sports racers (along with Top Hat and BRSCC race) apparently new rules at Spa seriously restrict the grid if you allow s/racers in the same grid as saloon car
your geting to much max m now
Old 13 Sep 2006, 21:59 (Ref:1709822)   #141
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper
your geting to much max m now
come and have a drink with us , as to all other regular 10 10 ers
we have a dutch watering hole and your are invited.
(don't take your yokis)
Old 14 Sep 2006, 01:26 (Ref:1709878)   #142
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry to stray off topic slightly, but I will be covering this meeting (any excuse to go to Spa!), so please check my website after the event for photos, or let me know if you want anything in particular. Can't wait for this one...
Old 14 Sep 2006, 08:47 (Ref:1710020)   #143
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
Sorry to stray off topic slightly, but I will be covering this meeting (any excuse to go to Spa!), so please check my website after the event for photos, or let me know if you want anything in particular. Can't wait for this one...
TVR no 39 has been polished and will go slow enough to make excelent pictures.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 08:57 (Ref:1710029)   #144
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I'm there too.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 09:17 (Ref:1710820)   #145
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
me too ! just got my tix and pases etc

no yokis at all as far as I'm concerned

Dan . . . FiA GT COrtina . . .I'm hoping 3:20 ish laps, FiA Lotus 3:10 is a good lap, for HRSR I'd expect anything between 3:00 and 3:20 depending on Spec, Joe Gomm will know, If He and Dan are lapping the anglias around 3:05-3:10 I'd expect you'll be close to that, but I don't know your car.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 11:33 (Ref:1710921)   #146
DanWray
Rookie

England
Quote:
me too ! just got my tix and pases etc

no yokis at all as far as I'm concerned

Dan . . . FiA GT COrtina . . .I'm hoping 3:20 ish laps, FiA Lotus 3:10 is a good lap, for HRSR I'd expect anything between 3:00 and 3:20 depending on Spec, Joe Gomm will know, If He and Dan are lapping the anglias around 3:05-3:10 I'd expect you'll be close to that, but I don't know your car.
I don't think Joe's Anglia exists any more, didn't it get destroyed at Cadwell a while back? He's been running a very tidy pre-airflow LC since the back end of last season. It's HRSR spec but with a 1600 engine (for class C) i believe. Not having driven there before, i'd be more than happy with anything between 3:10 and 3:15, in the dry obviously. I've heard Spa's a relatively easy circuit to learn, the only thing that really concerns me is all those high speed corners towards the end of the lap. Our car jumps out of top (4th) with any easing of the throttle, leaving you to either keep your foot in or drive one handed with the other hand holding the stick in place! - neither option is especially appealing especially on a notoriously wet track as Spa.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 12:14 (Ref:1710976)   #147
simon drabble
Veteran

I would hesitate to say Spa is an easy circuit there are several corners that require respect and would suggest awalking the circuit before your quallys
Sadly due to local MSA rules we wont be joining the HSCC grid so wont have the pleasure of racing against you!
I would say that 3.10 with full fuel tank is a respectable time for a Lotus Cortina - We are trying to decide what to use as a benchmark along with fuel rate and tyre wear but I guess will not get any meaningful estimates until we test on the Thursday!
Old 16 Sep 2006, 06:56 (Ref:1711607)   #148
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
if your going ( or attempting) to last 6 hours I'd say 3:10 average is too quick to be reliable . .

I didn't know Joe totalled the Anglia, shame, but he is good at dinging things, just as well he's good at bodywork ! it'll be interesting to see how the HSCC lap times compare with the Top HAt, and U2TC races.

I think Spa is a reasonably easy circuit to get in your head in turns of corner order, but very difficult to learn how to race fast/flat, as for the word 'mastering' . . . . no disrespect, but I doubt theres anyone on 10/10ths who has.

Dan . . new baulk rings in your gearbox, you cannot rac Spa holding the gear stick, you'll have to take Eu Rouge flat and Blanchemont ??? ( long left kink before the bus stop ) !!!
Old 16 Sep 2006, 13:38 (Ref:1711837)   #149
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Dan . . new baulk rings in your gearbox, you cannot rac Spa holding the gear stick, you'll have to take Eu Rouge flat and Blanchemont ??? ( long left kink before the bus stop ) !!!
Yep that's Blanchiment.

Malmedy is the easiest corner IMO downhill into third and plant the foot as you apex.
Old 17 Sep 2006, 07:43 (Ref:1712124)   #150
gojo
Rookie

gojo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
beware bull'S' alert. ZEF. facts:

In 16years of racing the anglia,[large fuel tank.]the only accident was at spa a few years ago,spinnng off in practise. (dented wing /pride)Fact; over the years few minor scuffs from fellow competitors;the worst being from an app'k' LC in a mallory TH race.
Fact;the damage sustained at cadwell was caused by a car spinning off and then back on backwards at speed,[wrong place wrong time]
Fact; I pay for any body repairs.
if you can point out any other incidents please inlighten me because I must have been driving with my eyes closed
hope to see you at spa so that you can point out all the damage on my banger car.

by the way the last time I saw your car it seemed to have developed a nasty Whine!

Quote:
if your going ( or attempting) to last 6 hours I'd say 3:10 average is too quick to be reliable . .

I didn't know Joe totalled the Anglia, shame, but he is good at dinging things, just as well he's good at bodywork ! it'll be interesting to see how the HSCC lap times compare with the Top HAt, and U2TC races.

I think Spa is a reasonably easy circuit to get in your head in turns of corner order, but very difficult to learn how to race fast/flat, as for the word 'mastering' . . . . no disrespect, but I doubt theres anyone on 10/10ths who has.

Closed Thread