Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Mar 2018, 03:20 (Ref:3806442)   #176
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Are you suggesting general motors will give up on Australia and say "too hard" or "can't be bothered" like they did with Europe?

USA, USA, we're number 1!
More likely to give up on the Holden nameplate rather than the market.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Holden name disappear when the ZB reaches the end of production.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 7 Mar 2018, 03:36 (Ref:3806444)   #177
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
More likely to give up on the Holden nameplate rather than the market.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Holden name disappear when the ZB reaches the end of production.

To be replaced with what brand do you think? Do GM have any brands that from a Strayan viewpoint are more marketable than Holden? If I remember correctly they tried Opel a few years back did they not.

One thing I don't understand about GM selling Opel is where will Holden be sourcing their cars from? Still from whomever (Peugeot?) owns them now?
Old 7 Mar 2018, 03:47 (Ref:3806447)   #178
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djr81 View Post
To be replaced with what brand do you think? Do GM have any brands that from a Strayan viewpoint are more marketable than Holden? If I remember correctly they tried Opel a few years back did they not.

One thing I don't understand about GM selling Opel is where will Holden be sourcing their cars from? Still from whomever (Peugeot?) owns them now?
Yes, from Peugeot for now and Chevrolet plants in Thailand, Korea and maybe Mexico later (Barina, Trax, Astra sedan and Colorado are already proudly Chevys). Thailand is ideal as it is a right hand drive market with a huge manufacturing industry.

Holden's current flagship SUV the Holden (Chevrolet) Equinox is made proudly in Mexico.

I wonder, do General Motors have any factories in the right hand drive market South Africa? We get a lot of BMWs made there, in Australia.
Old 7 Mar 2018, 04:26 (Ref:3806468)   #179
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We used to source a lot of VW product from. South Africa, only a few years ago, until Wolfsburg caught up.

The arrangements Holden has with Triple Eight, and the engine supplier in the USA, seem very short term, with no long term commitments. The monopoly requiring Triple Eight to invest heavily in the short term, and subsequently charge hefty prices. The engine deal, you'd think we could knock something similar up here, but no. They're leased out, so again no long term investment there.

I reckon in the next 2-3 years, we'll be seeing a very different tin top catagory.
Old 7 Mar 2018, 04:28 (Ref:3806469)   #180
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
We used to source a lot of VW product from. South Africa, only a few years ago, until Wolfsburg caught up.
VW and Ford both caught up, the quality of the cars out of SA was horrible, I know because I owned a Mk5 GTI and a Focus made there.

The GTI had more foam in its doors than any car I've ever owned and **** literally fell off the Focus in my driveway.
Old 8 Mar 2018, 00:20 (Ref:3806751)   #181
Driver TBA
Veteran

Quote:
To be replaced with what brand do you think?
Chev. It's what V6 Commodore drivers have wanted for years. Just look at the badge engineering they do....

In all seriousness. From a global perspective and in a world of 'Global platforms' Chevrolet makes more sense. To Detroit anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
I reckon in the next 2-3 years, we'll be seeing a very different tin top catagory.

The next 10 years is going to see huge change in the auto industry. No doubt racing will too.

Old 8 Mar 2018, 00:46 (Ref:3806754)   #182
djr81
Racer

Quote:

The next 10 years is going to see huge change in the auto industry. No doubt racing will too.
You are seeing it already. Overwhelmingly what you get on the road are SUV's (Be it a ute or a jacked up people mover type thing) or small cars. So do you want a Corolla or a Ranger?

There are few medium/large cars in circulation, certainly not the biggest volume cars like they used to be.

On that basis the future of motorsport in Australia is superutes and Hyundai Excel cups.
Old 8 Mar 2018, 00:49 (Ref:3806755)   #183
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
You are seeing it already. Overwhelmingly what you get on the road are SUV's (Be it a ute or a jacked up people mover type thing) or small cars. So do you want a Corolla or a Ranger?

There are few medium/large cars in circulation, certainly not the biggest volume cars like they used to be.

On that basis the future of motorsport in Australia is superutes and Hyundai Excel cups.
you left out the growing trend towards E vehicles
Old 8 Mar 2018, 00:51 (Ref:3806756)   #184
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Load of crap that it is when the majority of population in Australia get electricity from coal...
Quote:

The party is over for dual cabs, tax man is coming and nobody will buy them after, because they are inefficient, unsafe rubbish

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 8 Mar 2018, 01:06 (Ref:3806758)   #185
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Load of crap that it is when the majority of population in Australia get electricity from coal...
while factual in Australia, Doesn't mean wont be relevant going forward, Already manufacturers are working in this area. Its the only real area of performance manufacturers are working in
Old 8 Mar 2018, 01:14 (Ref:3806759)   #186
djr81
Racer

Quote:
The party is over for dual cabs, tax man is coming and nobody will buy them after, because they are inefficient, unsafe rubbish
To be fair they have always been inefficient, unsafe and rubbish (Horrible to drive too) but that never stopped anyone buying them.
Old 8 Mar 2018, 01:17 (Ref:3806760)   #187
djr81
Racer

Quote:
It is a trend but atleast around where I live it is working off a vanishingly small base. There are very few hybrids let alone straight EV's. Maybe the V8 supercar of the future will be a 4 cylinder hybrid.
Old 8 Mar 2018, 01:25 (Ref:3806763)   #188
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
It is a trend but atleast around where I live it is working off a vanishingly small base. There are very few hybrids let alone straight EV's. Maybe the V8 supercar of the future will be a 4 cylinder hybrid.
No doubt its a small base, But isnt that why manufacturers invest in motorsport. To increase the base and to develop the new vehicles.

In saying that i look out my window and there are 8 electric vehicles i can see (but that would be abnormal)
Old 8 Mar 2018, 01:33 (Ref:3806765)   #189
djr81
Racer

Quote:
No doubt its a small base, But isnt that why manufacturers invest in motorsport. To increase the base and to develop the new vehicles.

In saying that i look out my window and there are 8 electric vehicles i can see (but that would be abnormal)
When I go past the work car park all I see are utes (for the plebs), Corollas etc (mostly for people who don't care about cars and the lady folk) and Prado's etc (For the managerial types, invariably on lease).

There are no hybrids of any sort.

On the flip side there is atleast one VZ with a Chev badge on it.

Which is not to say a decent hybrid or EV is not a long term option. Will see if Tesla survives as nothing much else looks much chop. Cant be if the Camry looks to be among the best of the conventional bodied car options with a hybrid drivetrain.
Old 10 Mar 2018, 09:38 (Ref:3807197)   #190
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The penny hasn't dropped yet but it eventually will. Since we exterminated the car manufacturing industry, the government not wanting to support it and the consumer not wanting to buy what the domestic industry was offering the future is going to be that we drive what is made for the rest of the world and if that is EV's then so be it and you and I will have no choice or say in it. Hybrids are a passing phase that will in the future be looked on with some curiosity as to why they were ever made. This will take decades of course but it will happen. You can whinge and moan and criticise all you want but it won't change the facts.
Old 10 Mar 2018, 10:50 (Ref:3807203)   #191
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
It is only a matter of time-20 years at most-until renewables have completely replaced fossil fuels as source of electricity.This is why no financial institution will lend money for a new coal fired power station or mine.Only vested interests and the politicians they have bought deny this (and anyone deluded enough to believe their nonsense).
Old 10 Mar 2018, 12:37 (Ref:3807220)   #192
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
The penny hasn't dropped yet but it eventually will. Since we exterminated the car manufacturing industry, the government not wanting to support it and the consumer not wanting to buy what the domestic industry was offering the future is going to be that we drive what is made for the rest of the world and if that is EV's then so be it and you and I will have no choice or say in it. Hybrids are a passing phase that will in the future be looked on with some curiosity as to why they were ever made. This will take decades of course but it will happen. You can whinge and moan and criticise all you want but it won't change the facts.
Hence too the infusion of CVT and highly-strung twin clutch autos at the expense of perfectly good torque-converter autoboxes, and the virtual extinction of conventional manual gearbox motor cars...

So what do you do? Plonk down lots of money for something you are never going to like?

Or go hunting on CarSales for the same thing you have now, looking out for the low mileage needle-in-a-haystack pensioner’s special?

Our company carpark has just about every mainstream brand and model in it. No consistent pattern of buying behaviour, except there must be some science experiment that could produce the formula of ‘the bigger the car/SUV/4x4/Ute, the less elegant the parking capability’

The carpark was re-linemarked just before Christmas, with a now dedicated area for the wider than average vehicles to have a special spot so as not to take up 2 regular spaces...

Its not an uncommon thing apparently..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 10 Mar 2018, 13:24 (Ref:3807232)   #193
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have a look at the history of the small auto and you begin to understand why the DSG and CVT style transmissions were developed.

The Europeans in the late 80's and Volkswagen in particular along with the Japanese worked out that if they were going to sell cars in the US they needed auto transmissions and the torque converter transmission at the time was a horsepower gobbling thing due to the torque converter and the small low horsepower motors these companies made did not work well with them.

The only choice was to develop another style of transmission so they did. I suspect that with the introduction of new low speed lock electronically controlled converters and autos that the DSG will have a short life as the new TC and ten speeds do a better job. Audi in their latest cars has begun to dump the DSG in favour of a TC style transmission and I reckon the rest of the group will follow as new models roll out.

As I said before, we are going to buy what is produced with no say in it, your contention that the used car market is the answer is like putting your finger in the dyke, it is a finite view that has a definite end so you can forget that one as a long term answer. A big driver in the world car market is China, they have mandated a huge increase in non emitting cars starting from I think the early 20's to something like +10% of total production from any manufacturer who wants to sell cars in their domestic market hence the rush by the European manufacturers to develop these cars by 2020.

None of them can afford to be left out of the Chinese market as the traditional markets have matured and are showing signs of shrinking which must frighten the hell out of them. Everyone thinks the Euros are going electric because it is a trendy thing to do but the bans being forecast and the need to sell vehicles in China is really what it is all about. Left on their own they would not be so gung ho about the whole thing.

More info
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...uota-from-2019
Old 10 Mar 2018, 20:43 (Ref:3807274)   #194
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Have a look at the history of the small auto and you begin to understand why the DSG and CVT style transmissions were developed.

The Europeans in the late 80's and Volkswagen in particular along with the Japanese worked out that if they were going to sell cars in the US they needed auto transmissions and the torque converter transmission at the time was a horsepower gobbling thing due to the torque converter and the small low horsepower motors these companies made did not work well with them.

The only choice was to develop another style of transmission so they did. I suspect that with the introduction of new low speed lock electronically controlled converters and autos that the DSG will have a short life as the new TC and ten speeds do a better job. Audi in their latest cars has begun to dump the DSG in favour of a TC style transmission and I reckon the rest of the group will follow as new models roll out.

As I said before, we are going to buy what is produced with no say in it, your contention that the used car market is the answer is like putting your finger in the dyke, it is a finite view that has a definite end so you can forget that one as a long term answer. A big driver in the world car market is China, they have mandated a huge increase in non emitting cars starting from I think the early 20's to something like +10% of total production from any manufacturer who wants to sell cars in their domestic market hence the rush by the European manufacturers to develop these cars by 2020.

None of them can afford to be left out of the Chinese market as the traditional markets have matured and are showing signs of shrinking which must frighten the hell out of them. Everyone thinks the Euros are going electric because it is a trendy thing to do but the bans being forecast and the need to sell vehicles in China is really what it is all about. Left on their own they would not be so gung ho about the whole thing.

More info
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...uota-from-2019
The banning of diesel in many European countries will also shape that conversation.

The Koreans and Chinese have trialled many paths, including a relatively long standing technology in LPG. LPG was a staple for taxi fleets here for 30+ years, and as they switched to hybrids, the fuel source got replaced.. I was in a cab the other day that was Hybrid/Electric/Petrol/LPG.. a Camry.. where even though the fuel use from petrol/LPG is much smaller than the relatively guzzling Falcons of not so long ago, the price differential on the fuel, the new tech on the fuel delivery/injection, and how much cheaper conversion is now (sub $3000 from a Direct OEM-supported Centre Of Excellence) makes a compelling case to relook at the technology.

Other markets in the world are re-embracing LPG, including the US, where massive work in underway by the likes of Caterpillar and Cummins to develop clean Mid size truck & bus engines, and stationary power generation engines, for world markets.

Diesel is dying... what are we going to replace it with?
Old 7 Feb 2019, 12:08 (Ref:3882376)   #195
Driver TBA
Veteran

GM to leave Australia?

https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news...eave-australia

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 7 Feb 2019, 12:11 (Ref:3882377)   #196
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
GM to leave Australia?

https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news...eave-australia

If Inchcape get to run Holden The Importer where will it sit as a brand in the current portfolio? Citroen, Peugeot & Subaru are already in the stable as importer status. And they own retail dealerships in Kia, Mitsubishi, BMW, McLaren, Jaguar, Rolls Royce... and others...
Old 7 Feb 2019, 12:15 (Ref:3882379)   #197
Driver TBA
Veteran

Judging by the junk sitting in the showrooms. The bottom drawer....

Old 7 Feb 2019, 17:51 (Ref:3882468)   #198
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can see GM offloading Holden and straight up selling Chevrolet badged machines here.
Old 8 Feb 2019, 00:00 (Ref:3882546)   #199
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As very sad as it seems, this would actually be reasonably good news. I was fearing the eventual complete withdrawal of GM from Australia, and the Holden brand completely disappearing.

The announcement on the 'postponement' of the OnStar implementation last year was an early indication of GM planning something: https://www.goauto.com.au/news/holde...-30/76667.html

GM operate in so few RHD markets now, it simply makes little economic sense for them to continue in those markets. The cost of engineering vehicles for both LHD and RHD applications is quite large.

What would it mean for the Walkinshaw Camaro arrangement beyond the current deal? What would it mean for ‘Holden’ participation in Supercars long-term, and the future Supercar model of regulations?

I am annoyed that some fellow Ford fans are complaining so hard about the look of the Supercar Mustang (not sure many remain on this forum).

Be thankful that Ford is supporting motor racing and Supercars

Be thankful that we can go to a Ford dealer and buy a factory RHD Mustang

Be thankful that the car comes from a factory bearing the Ford name

Afterall, it could be worse.
Old 8 Feb 2019, 03:02 (Ref:3882553)   #200
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Judging by the junk sitting in the showrooms. The bottom drawer....

This amuses me, what qualification do you have to call the cars junk? Yes they aren't the same crap that GMH was producing, we all know that and blokes being blokes were always going to hate the change because they were blokes.