Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Aug 2018, 20:15 (Ref:3845451)   #326
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Class Confirmation Here
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 22 Aug 2018, 20:43 (Ref:3845456)   #327
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
"Australia version of IndyCar" is probably not the best way to sell this.
Old 22 Aug 2018, 21:59 (Ref:3845469)   #328
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
I've always been told by some folks running in the US Trans Am Series that there's somewhere in the range of a couple hundred extra ponies in those TA2 engines that could be extracted without significantly harming reliability. I'm sure you could have figured it out.
how would I know that?

Quote:

But much as that's my preference I'm sure there's a variety of other reasons not talked about here to stick with the Coyote
correct.
Old 23 Aug 2018, 00:46 (Ref:3845477)   #329
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
"Australia version of IndyCar" is probably not the best way to sell this.
Especially given they are running that awful halo, instead of Indycar's much more eye-pleasing alternative due for introduction as early as next year.

The Indycar name though still has great cred in Australia, the Gold Coast 600 is still referred to as "Indy" in the same way that the Adelaide 500 will still be long referred to as "Clipsal"
Old 23 Aug 2018, 02:47 (Ref:3845483)   #330
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Especially given they are running that awful halo,

The chassis they're using was designed with it in mind, and it's required to get FIA approval for the time being regardless. Until IndyCar can convince the FIA it's worth it, you'll only see Halos.

That said, the halo really isn't so bad aesthetically if it's painted to match the livery well. Several of the cars in F2 look pretty good despite it, and a couple of the F3 Americas entries are in all black and the halo looks quite okay on them, IMO;
Old 25 Aug 2018, 03:40 (Ref:3845912)   #331
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any word/guesses on what one of these beasts will cost now that we know engine/gearbox/chassis? Interested how they compare to F4, Super2 and the Ute series in price.
Old 25 Aug 2018, 04:20 (Ref:3845914)   #332
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Any word/guesses on what one of these beasts will cost now that we know engine/gearbox/chassis? Interested how they compare to F4, Super2 and the Ute series in price.
They've said the aim is 300k. So I'd reckon a 2nd hand Supercar would be around the 400 to 450 mark and F4 wouldn't be over 100k I wouldn't think.

The F5000 cars wouldn't require much staff to run though which is a positive. Could get away with a couple of mechanics, engineer/team manager and require a lot less maintenance between events than a Super2 car.

I reckon the total running costs would sit neatly in between a Super2 and F4 program.
Old 25 Aug 2018, 11:29 (Ref:3845963)   #333
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
The chassis being used as the basis for the car -the F3 Americas chassis-itself costs about $99,000 USD, which comes to $135,000 AUD at current exchange rate. I highly doubt a stock block engine that will be producing less than 600 horsepower is likely to double that cost, but the chassis will need some revisions to fit the engine and make the whole thing work with the massive rear tires, so it's cost will likely be a bit higher than the base F3 car.

So unless the changes to the chassis requires a MASSIVE overhaul to make the engine and fatter rear tires work, I think $300,000 AUD for a ready to run car is a reasonable expectation. That might even be a bit of a high estimate.
Old 29 Aug 2018, 22:03 (Ref:3846982)   #334
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I much prefer the original Chris Lambden F5000 to this latest design.

If original F 5000 designs are considered unsafe by FIA why are they allowed to compete in Hietorics around the world?
Old 29 Aug 2018, 22:35 (Ref:3846985)   #335
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
If original F 5000 designs are considered unsafe by FIA why are they allowed to compete in Hietorics around the world?

Historic racing series are usually not FIA-sanctioned/approved, but even in cases where they are, they are not required to adhere to modern FIA standards - they must adhere to the regulations of the time they were built in. (otherwise they wouldn't be historic cars anymore)

Interestingly, I recently learned that in historic races here in the US, it's not uncommon(though by no means standard practice) to find some spots in the chassis to fit "boxes" of carbon fiber to absorb impacts. They not only help make things safer for the driver, they help protect harder to restore core components of the cars.
Old 17 Nov 2018, 13:08 (Ref:3863768)   #336
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I much prefer the original Chris Lambden F5000 to this latest design.
Unfortunately the FT5000 had a 2010-spec (i.e., meets 2010 F1 crash tests) tub, which was fine until 2017 as GP2 still raced a 2010-spec tub too --- but sadly in 2018 onwards, a halo is now rather the must have thing and there is no getting out of having one (at least if you want to be FIA sanctioned). Formula 1 with halo, Formula 2 (GP2) with halo, Formula 3 with halo, Formula E with halo -- a halo for everybody. Such is progress...

Simply delaying for one year has made it untenable (as a halo-sceptic for instance) to say "oops, already built the cars, no halo for us"!

Sadly, only pre-existing FIA classes can mount a reasonable argument to persevere with non-halo designs...

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 17 Nov 2018 at 13:14.
Old 17 Nov 2018, 13:24 (Ref:3863769)   #337
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Something I'd have rather seen over the Coyote engine, though, is to just use the TA2 engines.

Yeah, they're 6.1-liter engines, not 5-liter, but you could differentiate the new series from the old, solidifying it as a MODERN incarnation in the minds of the people in the process, by calling it Formula 6000.
I see that TA2 use some kind of Chevrolet LS engine according to http://ta2racingaustralia.com/the-cars/ . Another option would be the newer Chevrolet LT engine which is direct injected. ( https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines )

One does ponder why Mr. Lamden choose the Ford DOHC Coyote over the slightly lighter and smaller^ Chevrolet LS3 that tuners seem to love!

^ LS3 is 12lbs lighter and nearly 5 inches narrower according to https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...-dyno-results/

Wouldn't mind seeing the 755hp supercharged 6.2L Chevrolet LT5 in an open wheeler -- I wonder if the thermal management of the thing is up for being raced flat out for lap after lap! [Surely Chevrolet's finest engineering wouldn't overheat. ]
Old 17 Nov 2018, 13:29 (Ref:3863770)   #338
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
I'm part of this project and think the release tomorrow will please most people aesthetically
I'm wondering why the choice to run 13" front wheels, when the rears are 15"? I take it, it recreates the 70's aesthetic, but wouldn't that increase front brake wear compared to running a larger brake under a 15" front wheel, or are the smaller rotors so good these days that it doesn't matter?
Old 17 Nov 2018, 20:54 (Ref:3863816)   #339
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
I'm wondering why the choice to run 13" front wheels, when the rears are 15"? I take it, it recreates the 70's aesthetic, but wouldn't that increase front brake wear compared to running a larger brake under a 15" front wheel, or are the smaller rotors so good these days that it doesn't matter?

I believe those are TIRE size differences, actually, not WHEEL size. All renderings show the actual wheels being of similar size.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 02:29 (Ref:3864092)   #340
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Old 19 Nov 2018, 02:37 (Ref:3864093)   #341
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Why does it remind me of a Shrike FH?
Old 19 Nov 2018, 02:57 (Ref:3864098)   #342
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Seems promising: https://youtu.be/NZBGzpicoWs?t=1253

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Why does it remind me of a Shrike FH?

Good looking car!

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 19 Nov 2018 at 03:07.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 03:50 (Ref:3864100)   #343
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Got a nice gruntly sounding V8,thats good,lets race...
Old 19 Nov 2018, 03:52 (Ref:3864103)   #344
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Certainly looks better than the renderings. Hopefully it performs better than the F3 car upon which it is based.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 04:13 (Ref:3864111)   #345
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Definitely got the retro look down pat.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 19 Nov 2018, 06:32 (Ref:3864126)   #346
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Look a bit like the W-series car!

Wouldn't have been a bad option except that it's not the V8 that Supercar seem obsessed with

Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 19 Nov 2018, 11:24 (Ref:3864197)   #347
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
Look a bit like the W-series car!

That would be because both are derived from F3-spec cars. The W-Series car is a Tatuus chassis that will remain in it's F3 spec, while the S5000 car is the Onroak chassis used in F3 Americas been modified to fit the V8.

Quote:
Wouldn't have been a bad option except that it's not the V8 that Supercar seem obsessed with

Neither was the car they chose. They just adapted it to fit the V8.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 17:59 (Ref:3864283)   #348
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
It's also on Giti tyres! Though the ones on the S5000 didn't seem to be branded, so I wonder if Giti is still a partner of the project?
Old 21 Nov 2018, 03:47 (Ref:3864648)   #349
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

The F3-spec front wing seems too narrow, I wonder if it already makes the required downforce, or if there a chance to return to the wider front wing of the FT5000?
Old 21 Nov 2018, 03:53 (Ref:3864649)   #350
spook
Veteran

spook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are they 13" diameter rims on the front and 15" diameter on the rear ?.