Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 10 Oct 2009, 20:45 (Ref:2558366)   #151
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
Oh! Speaking of GA, JC France from that series has been arrested on drug charges.
Yup, I'd seen that too! Blows something of a hole in my theory that NASCAR doesn't move with the times.... his daddy only got busted for DUI.
Old 10 Oct 2009, 20:55 (Ref:2558377)   #152
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Quote:
Oh! Speaking of GA, JC France from that series has been arrested on drug charges.
I hear JC is due to compete in the Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona in February. He'll be sharing a car with Jeremy Mayfield....
Old 10 Oct 2009, 21:29 (Ref:2558403)   #153
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
ah yes, Riverside, home of Awesome Bill's first win!

i like country music (among every other form of music) and Deliverance was flimed three counties north of me. i've watched NASCAR for as long as i can remember and if i had the chance, i'd throw a beer can the 24 and Kyle Busch (probably a handful of others), but that would be a waste of beer. not sure what your NASCAR experience was, but believe me Clive, you haven't seen real redneck race fans until you've attended a race at Winder-Barrow Speedway or a lot of other dirt tracks around or sat on the back stretch grandstands at Charlotte.

BTW, portions of the movie Greased Lighting (the Wendell Scott story, with Richard Pryor) were filmed at Winder-Barrow and the old Athens Speedway, my ex-hometown racetrack. If you haven't seen it, it's a must watch for ANY race fan.

but the amazing thing about all this was touched on by some comments here. growing up, the only "overseas" connection to NASCAR was David Hobbs and Jackie Stewart providing color commentating on broadcasts. i NEVER would have thought that anyone outside NA would ever give a damn about stockcar racing and NASCAR in general. and in watching racing from other parts of the world, you get to see usually the most vocal, fanatical fans and their culture, good or bad, like it or not. hard to really understand some of these people and where they come from.

i say all of this because, as everywhere, the most vocal, loud and irritating people in every crowd are the ones that get the attention. yes, NASCAR has very "colorful" fans and is run by people who still think it's 1978, but there has never been any threat of spliting the series, leaving the series and there has been 43 cars starting every race for decades. it's always been the NASCAR way or the highway. personally, i think they are idiots in how the run races, q'ing, cautions and all, especially on the road courses....the cars are ancient technology and they run on tracks that haven't been updated in decades.

and yet, its kinda hard to argue with their system. i don't really like it, and yet i keep coming back for more.
Old 10 Oct 2009, 21:32 (Ref:2558408)   #154
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
best part about this story was that JC's half brother threatened the cops with the "Do you know who we are?" routine.

"We are Frances! We own this town!"

didn't work!
Old 10 Oct 2009, 21:57 (Ref:2558432)   #155
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
It's frustrating that they turn their back on so many simple things that could improve the racing.... For example, why go to all the trouble of imposing mandatory gearbox and/or final drive ratios when it would be so simple to make the use of a NASCAR-supplied, sealed rev. limiter mandatory? Set it at 8500 or 9000rpm, engines would be durable, and the onus would be on teams to get their gearing right. Similarly, build in an automatic speed limiter triggered by loops on the approach to pit lane; that would avoid all the races ruined by curious/dubious pit lane speeding penalties. But then, of course, a damn furrner would've won the race at Indy....
Old 10 Oct 2009, 22:27 (Ref:2558457)   #156
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
welcome to NASCAR. i'll sip a little 'shine in your honor this evening.

look out!

there's a water bottle on the backstretch. caution in the NW race at Cali.
Old 11 Oct 2009, 02:37 (Ref:2558674)   #157
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Just watched the '88 NASCAR race at Riverside (last race at this road course). At that time there were still local yellows.

At that time there was still a Riverside, and Augusta speedway was demolished a couple years back.

Also, what little dignity the France family had left was just destroyed by good old JC. Didn't he start that famous brawl (the defining moment of GA) at Mexico City in '06? Real professional.
Old 11 Oct 2009, 02:45 (Ref:2558678)   #158
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
It's frustrating that they turn their back on so many simple things that could improve the racing.... For example, why go to all the trouble of imposing mandatory gearbox and/or final drive ratios when it would be so simple to make the use of a NASCAR-supplied, sealed rev. limiter mandatory? Set it at 8500 or 9000rpm, engines would be durable, and the onus would be on teams to get their gearing right. Similarly, build in an automatic speed limiter triggered by loops on the approach to pit lane; that would avoid all the races ruined by curious/dubious pit lane speeding penalties. But then, of course, a damn furrner would've won the race at Indy....
Also, I don't know of any recently produced car that has a FOUR SPEED manual gearbox. Only automatics have 4 spds. The weird thing is that I've actually seen the style of tires that Nascar uses on normal street cars.
Old 11 Oct 2009, 02:46 (Ref:2558680)   #159
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
welcome to NASCAR. i'll sip a little 'shine in your honor this evening.

look out!

there's a water bottle on the backstretch. caution in the NW race at Cali.

Hey, reminds me of the time that I said (as a joke) there was bird youknowwhat on the track
Old 12 Oct 2009, 14:51 (Ref:2559859)   #160
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Quote:
Also, I don't know of any recently produced car that has a FOUR SPEED manual gearbox.
I'm not sure that the gearbox thing is any big deal, apart, of course, from on the road circuits. Maybe a five- or six-speed box would help the cars get up to speed faster leaving the pitlane, and on restarts at the superspeedways; it would, though, result in every team being obliged to acquire and develop a new gearbox inventory, which to me seems an unnecessary further expense.

One piece of kit I would like to see the end of, though, is that bl**dy awful Detroit Locker differential. This is a horribly-crude device that doesn't even function particularly well, and it really does belong in a museum by now. I'd like to see any form of mechanical unit permitted, as long as it is not remotely adjustable. Nothing electrical or hydraulic; that's a step too far, and adds unnecessary cost.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 19:22 (Ref:2560070)   #161
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
I really know nothing about that locker thing, sorry.

Also, more possible CC changes at RCR, this time for the 31's being replaced by the 07's. If that guy can turn Casey Mears into a frontrunner, you can sure as hell get Burton back to becoming one.

Also, keep an eye on AJ Allmendinger this weekend. Will he be in a Dodge, or a Ford? Elliot Sadler's Ford should be coming at Dega.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 19:41 (Ref:2560087)   #162
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Would it really matter whatever make they put Elliott Sadler in?
Old 13 Oct 2009, 05:41 (Ref:2560353)   #163
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
One piece of kit I would like to see the end of, though, is that bl**dy awful Detroit Locker differential. This is a horribly-crude device that doesn't even function particularly well, and it really does belong in a museum by now. I'd like to see any form of mechanical unit permitted, as long as it is not remotely adjustable. Nothing electrical or hydraulic; that's a step too far, and adds unnecessary cost.
What's wrong with a 'Locker? (other than it wanting to pitch you into the wall when you lift off the gas!!). I thought that most teams were running with spools on the ovals, and only used the locker on road courses.

Having run with one all through 2007 in our now assassinated ASCAR/SCSA/DoT/V8Trophy, plus a road course foray in 2008, I can't see a problem with the cheap and cheerful 'Locker.

I admit it's not as refined as a plate diff, but it costs a fraction of the money to live with, especially compared against a torque biassing diff (I use a Tru-Trac in my Strange/Ford 9").

With the amount of torque that NASCAR engines have (either NW or Cup), they only need 4 gears to get up to speed.

My 'Thundersaloon' has a Busch derived motor in it, turning out circa 700bhp, with 600+lbft torque. I've managed to drive it in 3rd all the way around the Brands Hatch GP circuit - including Druids hairpin! (old gearbox decided that it wouldn't stay in 2nd, so had to do it!).

The only technology I'd like to see them bring into NASCAR is........ hmmm....
nope, can't think of anything.
OK, maybe fuel injection.
And the ability for them to cross the Atlantic for a few rounds!!!
Old 16 Oct 2009, 20:21 (Ref:2562939)   #164
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
2010 #1 driver to be named soon: Earnhardt Ganassi Racing is close to naming a driver for the #1 car next season and it apparently won't be Jamie McMurray, as has been widely speculated. A source close to the situation said McMurray, whose contract at Roush Fenway Racing is up after this season, no longer is in the picture and that two people are in the mix. Rumored drivers include: Bobby Labonte, Reed Sorenson, David Stremme, David Gilliland and Casey Mears.

And what is this? Is this......a #9 Ford? *gasp*

http://jayski.com/schemes/2010/9cup.htm

Also....TRG could once again become the little team that could, with Dodge support.

TRG talking to to Dodge: Ralph Gilles, just promoted from the designer ranks to head up Dodge and Dodge motorsports, faces a 2010 NASCAR Sprint Cup racing season with only three Dodge teams, all owned by Roger Penske [#2-Busch, #12-Keselowski, #77-Hornish Jr.] Dodge spent much of 2009 developing a new engine, and the company needs at least one or two more teams for 2010 to give the brand some additional presence and help amortize that powertrain investment . Kevin Buckler, who happens to own a NASCAR team, is the head of TRG, or The Racers Group. Buckler made his name fielding sports cars, including three Porsches in the Grand-Am Rolex Series' season-ending Grand Prix of Miami at Homestead-Miami Speedway last weekend.
But while he sat on the pit box in Homestead, he was on the phone constantly to California, where his #71 Chevy was getting ready to race in the Pepsi 500 at California Speedway. A team that didn't really exist until a few weeks before the 2009 Daytona 500, Buckler and TRG have qualified for 29 of 30 NASCAR races this year, using a list of best-available drivers including David Gilliland, Mike Bliss and--for seven races, including the final four of this season--Bobby Labonte. Labonte has run several races for TRG and likes what he sees, especially being teamed with veteran crew chief Slugger Labbe.
Buckler acquired most of his cars and equipment from Richard Childress, and consequently is a Chevrolet team by default. "But Chevrolet just gives us sheetmetal and some technical help and gives Childress some consideration for our engine program, but it isn't what we need. Especially if we are going to take this to the next level." Enter Dodge? "I'm very much interested in talking to them," Buckler said. In fact, he has had a few conversations with Penske--they see each other a lot at both Grand-Am and NASCAR races--about Dodge. "I think it would be a great fit," said Buckler, who would like to expand to a two-car team as soon as he can. "You look at how much we've done this season with so little, and I think it shows we have a lot to offer."
So, Dodge, interested in Buckler? "Absolutely," said a Dodge spokesman, a veteran of the NASCAR wars. "I think we'd be crazy not to consider what he could bring to the party, especially if he could bring Bobby Labonte for the full season." And that, Buckler said, is a strong possibility. Buckler has been running the team on a shoestring, assembling a sponsor here, a sponsor there, and "starting-and-parking" to pocket money when none could be found. Bringing Labonte on full-time for 2010, as a semi-factory Dodge team, could go a long way toward signing some of the sponsors Buckler has been courting. The team sits 37th in owners' points, just two spots behind 35th, which would guarantee it a starting spot at the 2010 Daytona 500 and the four following races. Plus, Labonte's "past champion" provisional starting spots--he was the 2000 champ--would appeal to a sponsor, too.

Sorry for the wall of text attack.

Last edited by MJ_N_09; 16 Oct 2009 at 20:27.
Old 17 Oct 2009, 13:28 (Ref:2563226)   #165
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Quote:
2010 #1 driver to be named soon: Earnhardt Ganassi Racing is close to naming a driver for the #1 car next season and it apparently won't be Jamie McMurray, as has been widely speculated. A source close to the situation said McMurray, whose contract at Roush Fenway Racing is up after this season, no longer is in the picture and that two people are in the mix. Rumored drivers include: Bobby Labonte, Reed Sorenson, David Stremme, David Gilliland and Casey Mears.
Hardly a mouth-watering choice, is it? I've never been a great Bobby Labonte fan; sure, he had his day, but that was some while ago. Casey Mears and Jamie McMurray are, I think, two sides of the same coin; both have had prolonged spells in good or even great teams, without ever looking like they were going to become consistent winners. Stremme and Sorenson may not have had the same chances, but neither has really looked like anything more than a journeyman. As for Gilliland, I think he is a madman. Watkins Glen last year, JPM at Texas(?) last year, and now the incident in the Nationwide race at Charlotte yesterday.... too much!

There's really no outstanding or obvious candidate, so how about giving either Jason Leffler or Justin Allgaier a chance? The latter must be inwardly seething at the moment, having seen Stremme dumped from the second Penske car, but Keselowski then imported into what could have been 'his' seat.

As a long shot, I just wonder if Elliott Sadler mightn't finagle himself into the seat; it seems that he's very sponsor friendly, which is not a commodity to be underestimated in NASCAR, especially these days.
Old 18 Oct 2009, 03:02 (Ref:2563481)   #166
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
The 07 may be dropped at the end of 2009, leaving just 3 cars for RCR.
Old 18 Oct 2009, 18:54 (Ref:2563889)   #167
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Quote:
The 07 may be dropped at the end of 2009, leaving just 3 cars for RCR.
I've previously assumed that to be the case, with the Jack Daniels sponsorship shutting down- but Childress has always been very good at hijacking other teams' sponsors, and the on-costs of running a fourth car when you are already running three are not massive. Add to that the likelihood that after the 2010 season, Kevin Harvick will probably have left RCR to run a Cup car for his own team, and it would make some sense for them to run a fourth car for an up-and coming hot shoe in 2010- if they can find one, and if they can find sponsorship.

I just wouldn't be too certain that Casey Mears would necessarily be the driver of a hypothetical fourth RCR car in 2010, were there to be one. Just like Elliott Sadler, he's very sponsor-friendly, but I just don't think he'll make a good Sprint Cup driver all the time he has a posterior orifice.
Old 18 Oct 2009, 18:57 (Ref:2563893)   #168
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
But who can they steal from? They aren't in position to attract sponsors after this year's dismal performance.
Old 18 Oct 2009, 19:27 (Ref:2563936)   #169
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Quote:
But who can they steal from? They aren't in position to attract sponsors after this year's dismal performance.
I hear what you say; for the past two years, Jeff Burton, for whom I have a great deal of respect, barring his pathetic door-slap at the #42 under caution earlier this year, has been saying at the end of the season that RCR needed to up its game a bit. This year, the chickens have really come home to roost (barring the fact that Childress himself would probably have gunned them down!); RCR is in my view in serious danger of following Petty Enterprises and DEI away from the top table.

However, I don't think that this decline in the on-track competitiveness of the organisation has yet impacted on its ability to attract sponsorship. Ultimately, RCR could always wheel out a black #3 car, and is it inconceivable that Junior mightn't (for the right sort of deal, of course!) jump ship from HMS at some point ? Personally, I think his problem at Hendrick lies in the Seat/Wheel Interface, but he's hardly going to admit that, and he really doesn't seem to be a Happy Camper at the moment!
Old 19 Oct 2009, 05:19 (Ref:2564248)   #170
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Agreed, it's a different Jr. than ever before.
Old 19 Oct 2009, 08:55 (Ref:2564333)   #171
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
What do you mean with "seat/wheel interface"?
Old 19 Oct 2009, 09:42 (Ref:2564371)   #172
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
What do you mean with "seat/wheel interface"?
The unit fitted between the seat and the steering wheel....

Last edited by Clive Brown; 19 Oct 2009 at 09:49.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 22:06 (Ref:2566682)   #173
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Looks like McMurray remains with a cup ride. No surprise, it's the 2nd EGR car, the 1.

McMurray close to signing new deal?: hearing that Jamie McMurray is close to signing a deal to drive the #1 Earnhardt Ganassi Racing Chevy in 2010, announcement could come the week following Martinsville.
Old 22 Oct 2009, 23:36 (Ref:2567534)   #174
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
New Cup team?

Stavola back in NASCAR? MORE: Friday's Sports Business Daily is reporting - Semi-retired driver Terry Labonte and former team owner Bill Stavola are both getting back into NASCAR full-time as co-owners of a new race organization. StavolaLabonte Racing will field cars in the Sprint Cup Series, possibly next year, with Labonte driving initially.(Sports Business Daily, need subscription)(10-9-2009)
MORE: Former NASCAR Sprint Cup champion [1984, 1996] Terry Labonte, who is preparing to run his fifth race of the season this weekend at Lowe's Motor Speedway, hopes to compete in as many as eight to 10 events in 2010. Labonte as back this weekend in the #08 Carter/Simo Toyota, which is running a partial schedule this year. Labonte finished 24th in the Daytona 500 for Prism Motorsports and has run three races this year for Carter/Simo Racing. "If I end up running some more races next year, I felt like there are some tracks I haven't been to in years, and I don't have as much experience in these cars," said the 52-year-old Labonte. "If I run eight, 10 races next year, I need to get as many laps as I can. I've got to learn as much as I can about these cars." Labonte said he and former car owner Billy Stavola have tossed around the idea about starting a team. "He's a good guy and was in the sport for a long time and had a good reputation," Labonte said. "He would be a good guy to be associated with. We're kind of kicking around the idea. On the one hand, it's the perfect time to get in because you would be able to hire people today that you would not have had a chance two years ago. On the other side of the coin, I've never seen it so hard on the sponsorship side." As far as running a full season, Labonte said he doesn't think he has it in him. As far as the remainder of this year goes, Labonte said if the team has a good run in the NASCAR Banking 500 this weekend, he might run the car again later this year.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 19:57 (Ref:2570967)   #175
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
New CC for Kyle Busch. Dave Rogers replaces Steve Addington.

And signs of life from BAM Racing.

BAM Racing forms alliance with Warner Music Nashville: BAM Racing and Warner Music Nashville announced a strategic marketing alliance that will give WMN exclusive promotional opportunities with the NASCAR Sprint Cup racing team. Under the agreement, WMN artists will have the opportunity to participate in branding and promotional programs at NASCAR events, including artist tie-ins, sponsorships and promotional appearances, as well as exclusive positioning for their images and branding on BAM's #49 racecar, show cars, transporter and pit equipment. The first BAM promotional event with WMN artists is scheduled to take place on February 6, 2010 at the Daytona International Speedway.