Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Apr 2018, 00:49 (Ref:3815569)   #1
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MARCH VEHICLE SALES

There has been lots of talk on this and other forums about Ford not supporting Supercars, and possible Holden cutback, much of it subjective,

I thought it would be interesting to look at it objectively by noting the vehicle sales for March 2018. These figures include cars, SUV's and utes.

1.....Toyota........18,878.....18%
2.....Mazda...........9,723......9%
3.....Mitsubishi.....8,810......8%
4.....Hyundai........8,443......8%
5.....Ford..............6,687......6%
6.....Nissan...........6,191......6%
7.....Honda............5,586.....5%
8.....Volkswagen...5,137.....5%
9.....Holden...........5,116.....5%
10....Kia................5,084.....5%
The old theory of win on Sunday and sell on Monday seems to no longer apply, with Holden in 9th place. It would be a long time since Honda beat Holden.

The Toyota figure includes 4,348 Hi-Lux utes.

Indicating how the market has changed, SUV's now make up a whopping 42% of the market.

Presented for interest.
Old 15 Apr 2018, 01:13 (Ref:3815576)   #2
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well that settles it, SUV racing!!

But seriously, the ZB is quite the failure for Holden and I no longer see their financial involvement in Supercars as being beneficial to them.
Old 15 Apr 2018, 01:22 (Ref:3815577)   #3
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cant WIN ON SUNDAY and buy on Monday as there is no V8s in the showroom.

I have a mate who is a buyer for Holden dealerships and suggests the V8s are so keenly sought after. I guess its a lifestyle and institution for us Aussies such is SUVs to Americans
Old 15 Apr 2018, 01:23 (Ref:3815578)   #4
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To a certain degree those figures suggest the more cars you sell the less involved in motorsport you are...
Old 15 Apr 2018, 02:31 (Ref:3815585)   #5
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
To a certain degree those figures suggest the more cars you sell the less involved in motorsport you are...
On a local level, maybe.

But don't forget the millions of dollars Toyota set fire to each year trying to win Le Mans.
Old 15 Apr 2018, 03:50 (Ref:3815594)   #6
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
The Toyota figure includes 4,348 Hi-Lux utes.
The Ranger accounts for around 60% of Ford sales and a fair chunk of those are fleet sales.

Ford have weathered the storm better than Holden. Helped by the Ranger and access to hero cars like the Mustang, Focus RS and soon the Ranger Raptor. Everest is gaining ground, but they still need more or better product in their showrooms.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 15 Apr 2018, 03:56 (Ref:3815597)   #7
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
The Ranger accounts for around 60% of Ford sales and a fair chunk of those are fleet sales.

Ford have weathered the storm better than Holden. Helped by the Ranger and access to hero cars like the Mustang, Focus RS and soon the Ranger Raptor. Everest is gaining ground, but they still need more or better product in their showrooms.
Im a Ford fan owned quite a few and all be equal I would buy another

But 3 years warranty compared to 5 (or 7) on a new car is not equal and has resulted in me changing. plus they always seem a little more expensive.

Went to bathurst in ansd FG-X XR8 a few years back and was amazed by technology i take for granted missing in the XR8
Old 15 Apr 2018, 05:31 (Ref:3815601)   #8
coln72
Racer

coln72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hard to sell the new commodore at work when we can not get any. Have had two delivered and sold one of those. Actually had to buy another one off Holden in an auction......
Old 15 Apr 2018, 10:24 (Ref:3815684)   #9
craig1
Racer

craig1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must be why so many people want to see SUV's race.
I hope no ones misses the sarcasm.
Old 15 Apr 2018, 19:42 (Ref:3815816)   #10
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
But don't forget the millions of dollars Toyota set fire to each year trying to win Le Mans.
It's a write off though, "they write it off, Jerry", and they can learn R&D on new and exciting hybrid technologies.

Honda waste even more on being a backmarker in F1, but this is a company that built (multiple) F1 cars for learning purposes at the R&D headquarters at a time when they weren't even in F1.
Old 15 Apr 2018, 22:33 (Ref:3815858)   #11
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post

Of Ford's total sales of 6,687, Rangers were 4,064 or 61% and Mustangs were 705 or 11%.

That means the rest were 1,918 units.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 15:05 (Ref:3816199)   #12
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vauxhall / Opel have given notice of termination to all their European dealers. ...
Old 17 Apr 2018, 17:50 (Ref:3816224)   #13
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Vauxhall / Opel have given notice of termination to all their European dealers. ...
Somewhat inevitable given the takeover of the two brands by PSA. (Formerly PSA Peugeot Citroen). Im sure the Vauxhall Opel Sales in Europe will be absorbed into their PSA dealer network.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 19:20 (Ref:3816235)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Story Here

Not a great day to be selling GM product
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 17 Apr 2018, 20:36 (Ref:3816238)   #15
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Im sure the Vauxhall Opel Sales in Europe will be absorbed into their PSA dealer network.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Not a great day to be selling GM product
Not necessarily on either count - it doesn't happen often (terminating current agreements with a dealer network to then negotiate new agreements with the same dealers) but it does happen from time to time (including here in Australia).

I would expect that not all dealers would stay part of the network though so there is likely to be some trimming, the article talks about ⅓ of the Vauxhall dealer network going so it is a major reshuffle by the sound of it.
Old 18 Apr 2018, 00:11 (Ref:3816271)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
News like this would have to have an impact on consumers, wondering if they buy their new Vauxhall whether they could get it serviced at that dealer, or if they would be there at all...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House