Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 May 2000, 22:47 (Ref:5227)   #1
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow! Just back from Silverstone - superb day! Anyone who didn't take up the opportunity to attend needs shooting. Great cars, great racing, and SO BLOODY LOUD!

You have to feel so sorry for McNish and chums in the no 77 Audi though - they were set for an excellent second place in last years car, only to have the car expire just prior to the start of the last lap. It made a spectacular site as it was waved through the pits and completed the last lap with the back end hanging off, but i'd much rather have seen a podium finish for him

Can't wait till next year! Well done Don - a great show.
Old 14 May 2000, 00:25 (Ref:5228)   #2
fatbloke
Veteran

Blimey!

Just finished watching the Europsort coverage to discover that the no 77 Audi did actually finish 3rd after one of the Panoz's blew up on the last lap too! Exciting stuuf
Old 14 May 2000, 01:08 (Ref:5229)   #3
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I was with you in spirit, FatBloke!

I was rootin' for the no.77 Audi of McNish and Capello, and when, with two laps to go, he heads for the pits, I was jumping up and down in front of the box "NO! NO! TAKE IT OUT AGAIN!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING, ALAN?!!! AAARGH!!! I couldn't beleive the guys luck - still can't!

Never mind, those darn Beemers were pretty good weren't they?!

What happened to the Lister Storm of Bailey and Campbell-Walter? Third win? Pah!
Old 14 May 2000, 09:10 (Ref:5230)   #4
fatbloke
Veteran

If you'd seen the amount of smoke coming out of the thing as it entered the complex, you'd know why he brought it in - i'm sure, as we thought too, that the thing couldn't be dragged round for another lap. However, having said that, it was the last time that that model was ever going to be raced, so what the hell if the back end falls off at Stowe!

Lister ? That'll be in the FIA GT race, later today then...

PS My ears are still ringing - word of advice to anyone who goes again - take earplugs - these things are louder than GP cars! It was like walking out of a three hour Metallica concert at the end!

The only gripe I had ? The merchandising was overpriced and shyte I wanted a BMW T shirt and searched all the stands before the race, to no avail. Oh, and the usual Silverstone cock-up over tickets...
Old 14 May 2000, 13:24 (Ref:5231)   #5
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oops.

Lister?... No, no, I said ...er.. Leicester!

That's right, Leicester... When are they next racing in Leicester? ... Oh Futtocks!

I did it again, didn't I?
Old 14 May 2000, 19:15 (Ref:5232)   #6
jvilleneuve2000
Racer

jvilleneuve2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was the best days racing i have ever been to (saturday-silvestone), the american le man seris race was amazing, the whole show that Don Panoz put on was just like the advertisments for alms say "for the fans". Maybe Bernie Ecelstone should have gone to the race on saturday night and seen how fans should be treated. The drivers autogragh session was a very good idea, all of the drivers where pleased to be meating the fans and actually talked to you, (unlike the f1 drivers). The atmosphere created by the "le man" style pre-race build up was excellant.
I enjoyed the race so much that i went back today for the FIA GT race, it was good but it needs those GT1 cars to raise the excitment level.
carnt wait till LE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 15 May 2000, 14:53 (Ref:5233)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
sounds like you guys had a ball...NOT FAIR !!!!!..Im still hoping to get to Adelaide but things are not looking that good for at present ...DAMM!!!...I hate being at the arse end of the earth
Old 15 May 2000, 16:24 (Ref:5234)   #8
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Glad to hear that the ALMS event went over well with the Brit fans. Panoz has been getting rave reviews for his 'for the fans' approach and his track improvements to Sebring and Mosport in the US and Canada.

BTW, the loudest and most obnoxious racing car I have ever heard in my life was the Prototype Technology Group's BMW M3 sedan at Dallas in 96. It could be heard all over the track and its noise was near unbearable. What did the Brit fans think of the bellow of the Panoz and other American V8 engines?
Old 15 May 2000, 17:40 (Ref:5235)   #9
fatbloke
Veteran

To be honest, Kevin, the most impressive sound came from the arse end of the Olive Garden Lola-Judd... mind you, we were in the Luffield Grandstand - ie immediately behind the cars as they powered down the main straight. mmmm....!

One of the things that struck me was the speed that the prototypes caught the GT cars.

An awesome day out - cannot wait till they return next year! (They bloody well better do!) One thing to remember for next time - buy a decent radio! Those crappy disposable things they give you with your program were inaudible during the race.

Now, let me clarify this... £160 for the GP, and a tenner for ALMS ? Yeah, right, it's got to be the GP everytime...! NOT!
Old 15 May 2000, 18:54 (Ref:5236)   #10
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Judd powerplant does sound great. Definitley shows its F1 roots by its super high pitched scream.
Old 19 May 2000, 01:55 (Ref:5237)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We had the Silverstone race on TV the other night and it was suuuu - perb! JJ and Jorge are unbelievable - and I couldn't believe that McNish wouldn't burst into flames before he got that baby over the line, it was smoking like a cheap cigar and couldn't have had any wheels left. I am really looking forward to Le Mans and will purchase some first class earplugs - thanks for the advice!

Mosport is quite near here and is where we race. Mr. Panoz has done some wonderful things to upgrade Mosport Park, including upgrading the washrooms to something approaching modernity - the old ones have such small booths that when you are seated on the throne your knees push the door open! One turn has been prettied up and the Dunlop Bridge is now only an advertising sign - and the old F1 pits are no more, to the dismay of Practically Everybody, but the spectators will haave a wonderful choice of view (although the climb to Turn 5 after the "road" expires would still make Richard Burns pale green with envy) and I'm looking forward to the race in August, which incidentally if you want to attend it you will have to tent - we got one of the last hotel rooms within 25 miles, on the first weekend of August.

[This message has been edited by Liz (edited 21 May 2000).]
Old 22 May 2000, 12:44 (Ref:5238)   #12
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news for all UK folks, apparently Panoz was impressed with the reception from the fans at Silverstone.

So much so he is considering two UK dates for next year with Rockingham a contender for the second venue!
Old 24 May 2000, 22:42 (Ref:5239)   #13
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Best days racing in a long time!
I saw the Audi draggong its tyre through The Complex as well, bu t my video camera decided to play up at that point-
Arse!
On a slightly more serious note- if you have a set of headphones which can drown out the sound of a Panoz at full tilt, you are in great danger of doing some real damage to your ears- please take care with those radios!