Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Sep 2008, 17:46 (Ref:2290118)   #1
Wilbo
Racer

Wilbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What will replace Seat Cupra Cup?

My bet is that we will see the return of another single seat championship in the form of British F3.

Whats your view?
Old 14 Sep 2008, 17:53 (Ref:2290122)   #2
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dunlop Sports Maxx cup, they claim its the feeder series to the BTCC, its already a BARC competition
Old 14 Sep 2008, 20:20 (Ref:2290247)   #3
tonful
Rookie

England
Enfield
tonful should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the F3 boys have already turned down the chance of joining the BTCC in 2009.

I think they should go for a guest series at each round such as Heritage GT, Legends, Elise Trophy etc
Old 14 Sep 2008, 20:53 (Ref:2290287)   #4
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stockhatch! Stockhatch! Or Sportmaxx? Maybe new minis, anything but radicals..........
Old 14 Sep 2008, 20:56 (Ref:2290290)   #5
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just getting Renault up to Knockhill would be a start
Old 14 Sep 2008, 22:04 (Ref:2290360)   #6
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowen250
Stockhatch! Stockhatch! Or Sportmaxx? Maybe new minis, anything but radicals..........
It's time someone creates a Mini vs Fiat500 challenge...
Old 15 Sep 2008, 07:39 (Ref:2290583)   #7
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
From what I've seen Sports Maxx are struggling for entries even more than the current Cupra Cup. Stockhatch are unlikely to move from 750MC. The only single seater series I know of with enough support would be FPA, but again I can't see them wanting a permanent support slot.

My guess is that it will be something with manufacturer support, but at the minute nothing jumps out as an obvious choice.

I quite like the idea of different guest races each week.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 07:58 (Ref:2290607)   #8
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My guess is that the replacement championship will be the Ginetta G20 championship. My reasoning in this is that the championship is manufacturer backed, which seems to appeal to TOCA. Also, Stephane Ratel has been quoted in Autosport saying that if his Supersports concept gets off the ground, he'd be looking to reduce the number of Ginetta races on the F3/GT package. As such, it probably makes sense for the G50s to remain with the GTs due to the similarity in type.

Personally, I would prefer to see a rota of support races, reflecting the best in club level competition.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 12:17 (Ref:2290831)   #9
Thorney
Racer

Thorney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rotation makes sense to some extent, but remember the commercial aspects of being on the TOCA package are quite different to most racing. Bottom line, its GOws baby and if you want to play in his playground then you pay, the question is not what series would fit nicely but what series would fit nicely and have the budget to buy their slot.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 12:27 (Ref:2290842)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hopefully, not another one-make championship. It would be great to see a return to a proper production saloon series (preferably one that would mop up a whole group of other struggling championships at the same time). Can't see it happening though. I expect it will go to something that will pay a suitable sanctioning fee rather than something which will produce full grids of exciting racing.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 13:17 (Ref:2290879)   #11
Thorney
Racer

Given time the SportMaxx series would fit the bill nicely, especially with the rumoured 3 x15min races for next year and I'm sure Dunlop could find the resources to put it on the TOCA package next year. I think its better to let it get its feet and get more entries before that (although there would be no shortage of entries if it was on the TOCA package - so maybe there a chicken/egg scenario here )
Old 15 Sep 2008, 13:45 (Ref:2290904)   #12
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are the FFord boys still looking at joining in? They were last year....
Old 15 Sep 2008, 15:21 (Ref:2290995)   #13
Ed Peters
Racer

Ed Peters should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini1400
Are the FFord boys still looking at joining in? They were last year....
FFord are staying with the F3/GT package!

The Ginetta G50's were high on the list of championship's being looked at for 2009 before the SEAT announcement.

There are also hints of another single seat championship joining the package within the next couple of years.

Personally, I would like to see a championship similar to the JTCC in Sweden. A feeder championship to the BTCC! The SportMaxx series.

We will just have to wait for TOCA to let us know what it will be.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 15:56 (Ref:2291019)   #14
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Peters

There are also hints of another single seat championship joining the package within the next couple of years.
Let's look at this.

F3 - Unless there is another F3 series in the UK (existing or new) BF3 doesn't exactly get on with Alan Gow after the who business that didn't go through.
FFord - Sanctioning fee?
FBMW UK - Not coming back.

What does that leave us? Either a new series, BARC Formula Renault or Palmer Audi. Hmm.

Quote:
Personally, I would like to see a championship similar to the JTCC in Sweden. A feeder championship to the BTCC! The SportMaxx series.
Possibly a good idea but IMO some of the homologated cars don't really fit like the Porsches, 350Zs and RX8.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 16:27 (Ref:2291034)   #15
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know someone who knows what will replace the Cupras. Problem is, he wont tell me a thing... He said himself that he thinks i will like the cars. And he is judging this from Forza 2 were I run a Production league and a BTCC league, so sport maxx or something similar?
Old 15 Sep 2008, 16:45 (Ref:2291039)   #16
Ed Peters
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Let's look at this.

F3 - Unless there is another F3 series in the UK (existing or new) BF3 doesn't exactly get on with Alan Gow after the who business that didn't go through.
FFord - Sanctioning fee?
FBMW UK - Not coming back.

What does that leave us? Either a new series, BARC Formula Renault or Palmer Audi. Hmm.

Possibly a good idea but IMO some of the homologated cars don't really fit like the Porsches, 350Zs and RX8.
Sorry I meant to say 'Similar to the SportMaxx series'... more a SaloonMaxx!?!
Old 15 Sep 2008, 17:19 (Ref:2291061)   #17
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the possibility of a single seaters with the "either a new series".
Old 15 Sep 2008, 17:24 (Ref:2291064)   #18
Ed Peters
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the possibility of a single seaters with the "either a new series".
Yes... I know..

My previous comment was about the Porsche and RX8 comment..
Old 15 Sep 2008, 17:40 (Ref:2291075)   #19
Thorney
Racer

The two problems with SPortmaxx were poor grid size this year and crap tech regs (the two no doubt were related). I strongly think that the tech regs have or are about to be released that solve all the problems that we have encountered this year which which solve the grid size (as well as the race format being changed). So I guess with these in mind the grid size problem would be sorted pretty easily. So maybe SportMaxx is being considered? I'd be happy thats for sure.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 17:57 (Ref:2291097)   #20
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Why not a sort of GT3 or GT4 version for touring cars?
Old 15 Sep 2008, 17:57 (Ref:2291098)   #21
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
To an extent that's what Sportmaxx is.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 18:08 (Ref:2291107)   #22
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
But Sportmaxx isn't performance balanced?
Old 15 Sep 2008, 18:36 (Ref:2291144)   #23
Thorney
Racer

Well it is, just not brilliantly well this year. That should change which will also allow FI to mix with NA and fwd to mix with rwd. Datalogging is likely to be used more extensively next year to well to keep it level too. THe more I think about it the more logical it step it seems, the only weakness is grid size and I'm convinced that if they implement the changes we discussed at the last meeting that will fix itself.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 19:33 (Ref:2291179)   #24
Ed Peters
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorney
The two problems with SPortmaxx were poor grid size this year and crap tech regs (the two no doubt were related).
Two issues that can be easily remedied.

If it was to run on the TOCA package for Saloon/Hatch type cars.
There could even be incentives to draw BTCC teams into the championship to run as feeder teams!
Old 15 Sep 2008, 20:14 (Ref:2291216)   #25
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Fiat were looking at introducing a one make series for the Fiat Arbarth?