Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 16 Dec 2019, 15:40 (Ref:3946990)   #201
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Are BARC still limited on the number of meetings per year, and when these must be though?
Thruxton are still limited to 12 race days a year. I don't think there is any limitation on when these can take place (although one would assume that the circuit would want them reasonably well spaced throughout the year). The limited number of test days can only take place in school holidays.
Old 16 Dec 2019, 22:50 (Ref:3947051)   #202
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I first went to Thruxton in the mid seventies their season began on the third weekend in March carrying on until the televised meeting in mid November . The season consisted of twelve days of competition with only the Easter Formula Two meeting taking place over two days . In 2020 they are still allowed twelve days but these days they hold six two day meetings with the season beginning with the Touring Cars over the weekend of 15th/16th May and concluding with a BRSCC meeting on 22nd/23rd August . Why their season is so short I can't work out .
Old 17 Dec 2019, 07:50 (Ref:3947105)   #203
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
When I first went to Thruxton in the mid seventies their season began on the third weekend in March carrying on until the televised meeting in mid November . The season consisted of twelve days of competition with only the Easter Formula Two meeting taking place over two days . In 2020 they are still allowed twelve days but these days they hold six two day meetings with the season beginning with the Touring Cars over the weekend of 15th/16th May and concluding with a BRSCC meeting on 22nd/23rd August . Why their season is so short I can't work out .

I can! The F3 championship season-opener used to be at Thruxton in March, which wasn't always the most clement.

In, I think, 1984 I travelled down with a photographer friend on a typical foggy, damp, dank, dismal morning. "This will soon burn off", he remarked.

We then had about the most dismal cold, wet days' motor racing I've had in my life!
Old 17 Dec 2019, 08:15 (Ref:3947107)   #204
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah , halcyon days John ! When we had a proper British Formula Three championship . When the wind and rain would combine to penetrate your clothing no matter how waterproof . I did wonder if , given the restrictions Thruxton operate under , if it had anything to do with the local authority stipulating that they could only hold meetings at a certain time of the year
Old 17 Dec 2019, 08:26 (Ref:3947108)   #205
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Ah , halcyon days John ! When we had a proper British Formula Three championship .
This. We had the BP Visco Static Championship and the Vandervell Championship. Always great grids. And the cars were miniature versions of their F1 designs such as the March.

As to Thruxton, I recall a FFord 2000 meeting which was pretty much like you describe. Wet and thoroughly miserable. Then again I got wind burn at the 1976 Easter meeting.
Old 17 Dec 2019, 08:34 (Ref:3947109)   #206
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
This was 2013 Thruxton Revival (March 31st) and there’s a reason why Murray and delta have so many layers on!
Attached Thumbnails
BCD59354-9C1B-4EB3-9A0B-8FE58733E93E.jpg  
Old 17 Dec 2019, 08:36 (Ref:3947110)   #207
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Ah , halcyon days John ! When we had a proper British Formula Three championship . When the wind and rain would combine to penetrate your clothing no matter how waterproof . I did wonder if , given the restrictions Thruxton operate under , if it had anything to do with the local authority stipulating that they could only hold meetings at a certain time of the year
It was British F3 that got me started in journalism & I covered it for quite a few years. In those days most future F1 stars seemed to pass through too. Oh, & that's where I met Bauble... It's all different now though.

In those days the season ended with a party in Eddie Jordan's workshops after the Silverstone finale. Only the other day I found an invitation drawn by Mario Hytten's brother - he used to produce a cartoon strip telling the story of each race in a style that Gerard would know as BD.

To pinch somebody else's catchphrase, Happy Days.
Old 17 Dec 2019, 15:07 (Ref:3947170)   #208
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Yes, I can probably count on one hand the UK based cars that have raced in PA and MRL, possibly HSCC as well at somewhere like Silverstone Classic..... As said earlier, I can’t see PA being concerned too much by the clash.

Actually, I have done exactly that with my old Kieft Climax, now sold on.
PA / HSCC / MRL.......
There might be more more cars and owners than You think, just cherrypicking the best events from each promoter.
But, I agree its not a mass phenomenon

Its the preparers that get stretched thin, because between two or three clients and, lets say 5 cars they might be expected to cover the range of events from all of the above organisers

Rudolf
Old 17 Dec 2019, 15:18 (Ref:3947174)   #209
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
It was British F3 that got me started in journalism & I covered it for quite a few years. In those days most future F1 stars seemed to pass through too. Oh, & that's where I met Bauble... It's all different now though.

In those days the season ended with a party in Eddie Jordan's workshops after the Silverstone finale. Only the other day I found an invitation drawn by Mario Hytten's brother - he used to produce a cartoon strip telling the story of each race in a style that Gerard would know as BD.

To pinch somebody else's catchphrase, Happy Days.
A black day indeed, still I well remember the F3 races, and the F2, Stefan Belloff, Jo Gartner, amongst many others. I wonder if I still have any pictures I could scan, must have a look.
Old 17 Dec 2019, 17:24 (Ref:3947195)   #210
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HSCC Thundersports Extended Calendar 2020!

2020 Calendar
R1-17/18 May: Silverstone GP (International Trophy)

R2-6/7 June: Donington Park

R3-11/12 July: Brands Hatch GP (Legends of Brands Hatch)

R4-31 July-2 August: Silverstone GP (Silverstone Classic)

R5-29-31 August: Oulton Park International (Gold Cup)

R6-2-4 October: Dijon-Prenois (Motors Cup)

Good to see. Hope more Can-Am cars join like the ones that compete in the German Championship maybe.

Full Press Release:https://hscc.org.uk/extended-calenda...thundersports/
Old 17 Dec 2019, 18:59 (Ref:3947212)   #211
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd love to see Thundersports run to it's original regulations; center seat Can-Am and early Group C cars eligible as well.
Old 17 Dec 2019, 20:24 (Ref:3947235)   #212
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
I'd love to see Thundersports run to it's original regulations; center seat Can-Am and early Group C cars eligible as well.
All for that. Just hope see more V8 monsters out there. Preferably over 5 L
Old 18 Dec 2019, 08:10 (Ref:3947289)   #213
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
And Clubmans cars. Wasn’t there at least one Mallock with a Hart 420R?
Old 18 Dec 2019, 11:26 (Ref:3947317)   #214
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
And Clubmans cars. Wasn’t there at least one Mallock with a Hart 420R?
Certainly on the hillclimb scene there were a couple. Richard Jones was the first one, powered by a 2.2 litre stretched Hart engine. I think the other was shared by Jim Robinson and Charles Wardle, but im pretty sure they ran a 2.5 litre version of the Hart F2 engine in a Mk 27SG. (They had previously shared an older BDA powered Mallock.) From memory the Hart engined cars also ran Hewland gearboxes (not the transaxle type, but a Hewland box in the regular position off the back of the engine to a propshaft. I would also say I think they had interchangeable quick change ratios but that might be a figment of my imagination. Others more learned than I can comment on that.
IIRC they still ran a live rear axle although with Quaife manufactured halfshafts.

I have read of people saying the SG in Mk 27SG is for 'Special Gearbox'. It doesnt. It stands for a Mk 27 with a Short wheelbase chassis(S) and the G stands for GroundEffect.

I have found a photo of Richard Jones car after he had a frightening crash at Shelsley. The reason I show the pic is that it clearly shows the Hart motor installed.

Old 18 Dec 2019, 21:43 (Ref:3947425)   #215
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Certainly on the hillclimb scene there were a couple. Richard Jones was the first one, powered by a 2.2 litre stretched Hart engine. I think the other was shared by Jim Robinson and Charles Wardle, but im pretty sure they ran a 2.5 litre version of the Hart F2 engine in a Mk 27SG. (They had previously shared an older BDA powered Mallock.) From memory the Hart engined cars also ran Hewland gearboxes (not the transaxle type, but a Hewland box in the regular position off the back of the engine to a propshaft. I would also say I think they had interchangeable quick change ratios but that might be a figment of my imagination. Others more learned than I can comment on that.
IIRC they still ran a live rear axle although with Quaife manufactured halfshafts.

I have read of people saying the SG in Mk 27SG is for 'Special Gearbox'. It doesnt. It stands for a Mk 27 with a Short wheelbase chassis(S) and the G stands for GroundEffect.

I have found a photo of Richard Jones car after he had a frightening crash at Shelsley. The reason I show the pic is that it clearly shows the Hart motor installed.

Reference to Will Hoy racing a Mallock Mk24B in Thundersports here:
https://www.racingsportscars.com/dri...ll-Hoy-GB.html

No mention of engine, though.
Old 18 Dec 2019, 22:30 (Ref:3947428)   #216
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Reference to Will Hoy racing a Mallock Mk24B in Thundersports here:
https://www.racingsportscars.com/dri...ll-Hoy-GB.html

No mention of engine, though.
Hmmmm, the entry list shows him running a 1700cc normally aspirated 4 cylnder, which sounds like the standard A class Ford engine of the time.

https://www.racingsportscars.com/pho...985-04-05.html
Old 18 Dec 2019, 22:49 (Ref:3947430)   #217
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Hmmmm, the entry list shows him running a 1700cc normally aspirated 4 cylnder, which sounds like the standard A class Ford engine of the time.

https://www.racingsportscars.com/pho...985-04-05.html
Of course you are correct. Even more reason to let Classic Clubmans race in Thundersports now.
Old 19 Dec 2019, 08:10 (Ref:3947466)   #218
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
OK, back to the thread topic....

I will start adding events to the 2020 calendar over the next couple of weeks, so apologies for the disruption to existing threads!
Old 19 Dec 2019, 08:15 (Ref:3947468)   #219
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for this Mike . For me it’s very helpful .
Old 19 Dec 2019, 15:14 (Ref:3947565)   #220
Willmaz223
Veteran

Masters USA 2020 Dates Announced.

28-31 May-Sonoma
10-12 July-Watkins Glen
23-26 July-Road America
24-27 September-Road Atlanta
9-11 October-Barber Motorsports*
4-8 November-Daytona**
3-6 December-Sebring**

*Only Historic F1
**-Only Endurance Legends Cars
Old 20 Dec 2019, 11:28 (Ref:3947698)   #221
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The BRSCC meeting at Anglesey on 22/23 August will also feature Historic FF2000 (HSCC) alongside their usual grids. This fills in a big gap in the FF2 calendar.....
Old 20 Dec 2019, 16:20 (Ref:3947747)   #222
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The BRSCC meeting at Anglesey on 22/23 August will also feature Historic FF2000 (HSCC) alongside their usual grids. This fills in a big gap in the FF2 calendar.....
Well spotted Mike! It's high time you got the Delta out of retirement.

...we have curry

...and cake...

and Anglesey's only just down the road for you after all.
Old 20 Dec 2019, 16:53 (Ref:3947753)   #223
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
Well spotted Mike! It's high time you got the Delta out of retirement.

...we have curry

...and cake...

and Anglesey's only just down the road for you after all.
- the last bit.......

And thumbs up for the others......
Old 23 Dec 2019, 17:14 (Ref:3948241)   #224
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
We’ve now got a title name for the new Roadbook.be organised event scheduled for next October. ‘The Spa Hat-Trick’. (October 10/11th)

So far the only grid we know of his Historic Formula 2....
Old 23 Dec 2019, 17:25 (Ref:3948242)   #225
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
We’ve now got a title name for the new Roadbook.be organised event scheduled for next October. ‘The Spa Hat-Trick’. (October 10/11th)

So far the only grid we know of his Historic Formula 2....
The press release/website didn't give away much other than the fact it is an opportunity to take pole, race win & fastest lap all on one day!
Closed Thread