Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Jun 2014, 16:23 (Ref:3417642)   #1
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Mighty Marussia

I'd like to say 2 things here. Firstly, having read the FT Magazine article on Marussia's impressive and innovative business model, and having seen them score their first ever points in Monaco, Marussia are probably on a rise. They beat Caterham last season, and are beating a struggling Sauber team blighted by 2 distinctly average drivers. Their rise (and their business plans) are almost certain to attract further investment, and the points will give them much-needed cash. To my eyes, Marussia look like they'll survive and could become part of the STR/Sauber/Force India mid-pack by 2016.

And secondly, the crash. Whilst there seems to be debate about it, I'm pretty sure that to avoid Chilton (who sounds to me to have ran out of talent from both his interviews and Bianchi's) Bianchi would've had to cut across the grass and probably crash into someone else, as he was on the edge of the white lines. How does this link in? Well, surely Marussia can find a pay driver who can a) consistently keep up with Bianchi and b) not hit cars in SC conditions or take out both cars in one race. And with the investment and FIA cash that they will likely get, they could attempt to make a compromise and get a driver with less cash but more pace. I know Chilton has been very good at bringing his car home but the last 2 races have seen him getting caught up in more avoidable incidents than even Maldonado...

...discuss...
Old 9 Jun 2014, 17:05 (Ref:3417657)   #2
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
I'd like to say 2 things here. Firstly, having read the FT Magazine article on Marussia's impressive and innovative business model, and having seen them score their first ever points in Monaco, Marussia are probably on a rise. They beat Caterham last season, and are beating a struggling Sauber team blighted by 2 distinctly average drivers. Their rise (and their business plans) are almost certain to attract further investment, and the points will give them much-needed cash. To my eyes, Marussia look like they'll survive and could become part of the STR/Sauber/Force India mid-pack by 2016.

And secondly, the crash. Whilst there seems to be debate about it, I'm pretty sure that to avoid Chilton (who sounds to me to have ran out of talent from both his interviews and Bianchi's) Bianchi would've had to cut across the grass and probably crash into someone else, as he was on the edge of the white lines. How does this link in? Well, surely Marussia can find a pay driver who can a) consistently keep up with Bianchi and b) not hit cars in SC conditions or take out both cars in one race. And with the investment and FIA cash that they will likely get, they could attempt to make a compromise and get a driver with less cash but more pace. I know Chilton has been very good at bringing his car home but the last 2 races have seen him getting caught up in more avoidable incidents than even Maldonado...

...discuss...
Discuss it? I think Chilton has actually done a very good job at Marussia, better than even Bianchi.
In spite of the slating he has had from many corners he has managed to beat Bianchi in qualifying a few times and even finish some races in a higher position so I don't think he's a hopeless case at all. Maybe not a future Prost or Alonso, but nothing like the rubbish tossed his way.
The crash at Montreal? He saved the slide and avoided crashing into anyone. It was the left after the right that gave rise to the contact and that was Bianchi as much as Chilton.

Watching Bianchi's actions at Monaco in a drive he was lauded for I saw actions that border-lined on the reprehensible. He got away with them and got the plaudits but had they resulted in accidents he may have been crucified for what he did.

The problem is that here has arisen a desire to apportion blame for everything that happens and penalize one driver for it. This is rubbish.
It is a sport where everything happens in a split second between people competing at high speed in situations requiring instinctive reflex not analytical decision making and deliberation for half an hour. Sometimes bad decisions will be made. But sometimes people will put themselves in a bad position and blame someone else for the result (quite often actually) and sometimes things just happen in circumstance that couldn't have been predicted or avoided.

Those things are accidents, not intentional and not deliberate or necessarily deserving of a penalty. This idea that accidents should never happen and that someone has to be responsible is not always true. Nor does it result in a fair and just outcome for all parties involved.

Being blamed for something you were not responsible for, or was beyond your control, and was happenstance, an effect that could not have been predicted then avoided, is not a fair and just outcome for anyone, particularly if penalties are then applied to you. But if this is going to be applied to F1, or any other motorsport discipline then the sporting aspects will suffer and real competition will decline.

Perez got a penalty for an incident he did not cause. Massa was certainly as responsible for it as much as Perez but I think the severity and spectacular nature of the Massa crash counted against Perez and influenced the ultimate decision and penalty. They were looking for something to blame him for. That is not a fair and just process for Perez so I think it was a bad decision, unjust penalty.
Old 9 Jun 2014, 17:11 (Ref:3417664)   #3
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Agree 100% ....
Old 9 Jun 2014, 19:07 (Ref:3417749)   #4
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Here's the article concerned. http://howtospendit.ft.com/motorspor...ith-big-dreams Cheglakov is a very imaginative character and has had a number of great successes. I'm sure he's had many efforts that have wound up as debacles - but that's par for the course for any experienced tycoon. Alot may depend upon how nasty the sanctions against Russia get or whether we've passed peak sanctions already.

As for Chilton. I think he's a pedestrian driver - but competent. Alot of the ire is down to the fact many people see hotshots fly through whereas Chilton gets a multiyear tenure on the back of Aon. But again, he typically, doesn't wreck cars and that's of value.

I think the Canadian stuff was his fault, yes, but this thing where the stewards issue thunderbolts left, right and centre for drivers who so much as scratch their nose, is a bit too much. The sport is over penalised is my point.

Sometimes in the course of an event drivers make mistakes and damage accrued during the course of such a mistake is punishment enough.
Old 9 Jun 2014, 19:38 (Ref:3417773)   #5
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
I really don't understand this assessment of the team. In the years 2010-13, they have racked up losses of something in region of £140 million, and I would think that it is highly likely that they will continue to accrue losses for this season.

Like the old joke goes, how can you make a small fortune in F1; answer, always start with a large fortune. The Russians "invested" in the team because it is a vanity project, and when they come to their senses, they will bail out.
Old 10 Jun 2014, 08:24 (Ref:3418008)   #6
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I'm really enjoying seeing Marussia close the gap on Sauber and the mid-field pack this year, and I hope that they continue to progress. I also hope Caterham get their act together - I would like them both top be more involved in the mid-field pack.

Chilton gets very little credit, but he has qualified fastest of the Marussia / Caterham quartet a couple of times this season. I get the feeling he is pushing the limits a little harder this season.
Old 10 Jun 2014, 11:18 (Ref:3418077)   #7
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Chilton's finishing record meant that his role had become the safe solid pair of hands that will get the car home in races of attrition (like Oz and Bahrain). Internally I don't think the team expects him to beat Bianchi. He has done well in qualifying this year, but don't forget that Bianchi has had the lion's share of reliability issues this year, and that has affected several of his quali sessions.

I didn't like Chilton's defence of his lap 1 incident. It was clearly his fault and should have just accepted that rather than done the Paul di Resta trick of absolving himself from blame.
Old 10 Jun 2014, 23:04 (Ref:3418369)   #8
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Excellent post Teretonga. Couldn't agree more.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 14:47 (Ref:3422627)   #9
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Seems to me that the Chilton crash was the result of about 1mm too much movement of the accelerator peddle.

The penalty seems harsh.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.