Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Feb 2019, 15:08 (Ref:3883850)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Who are you rooting for this year?

Of course, we are all fans of motorsport and Formula 1 may be a part of that. Usually, I mostly just like to see good racing, but from time to time, I find I cheer on one team or driver a little bit in particular. It may be an underdog or a big-name team or driver.

Is there anyone in particular you'll be particularly happy for if they do well this year? The thread came to mind because I was thinking about Williams and how much there is to support. For one, they have got two absolute racers in there - one the Formula 2 champion and another a down-to-earth guy who is a classic Williams driver in the traditional mould - no airs or graces, but steely determination.

For another, they have somehow survived where others haven't and even though they've been in the doldrums, they remain Williams and have not allowed themselves to be bought out. They finished stone last last year and yet there is hope there that they still understand this motor racing thing enough to get more out of their season.
Old 13 Feb 2019, 15:38 (Ref:3883860)   #2
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alfa Romeo / Sauber to break into the top end of midfield is my biggest wish. Well, for them to score a podium would be utopia. Especially if it is Kimi.
I would like Williams to not get the wooden spoon, and I ache for Renault to beat Red Bull and be #3.
Old 13 Feb 2019, 15:46 (Ref:3883861)   #3
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
team would be Racing Point. i hope they can continue on where FI left off and with a bit more money maybe some podiums are on the table.

driver is Kimi at Sauber. i think he is the best personality on the grid and as i get older i find myself rooting for the old guys more.

RK comeback is also a special note and i hope Williams have provided a car for him do so with...although my launch window optimism for Williams tends to leave me even more disappointed by mid season.
Old 13 Feb 2019, 15:48 (Ref:3883862)   #4
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nice idea for a thread. For me I have multiple things I would "like" to see happen. In no particular order...

* Not particularly a Ferrari fan, but I would sort of like to see Ferrari win the WCC. Mostly as I would like to see someone other than Mercedes and Ferrari is likely the best contender
* I am hoping Kubica does well. Worst case he proves to be terrible and tarnishes his name.
* I would like to see Leclerc really challenge Vettel.
* I would like to see Vettel rise to the challenge of Leclerc. Problem is.. Vettel seems to not handle pressure well? Seems to be mistake prone in that scenario.
* I would LOVE to see Honda win a race with RBR. I can only dream of them taking the fight to Mercedes and Ferrari. If I could pick one thing on this list to happen... this would be it!
* I always wish Williams well as they were the first team I fell in love with.
* I am hoping Kimi is proven to be immortal, and as such he races in F1 forever

Things I feel guilty about wishing for...

* I sort of don't want Kvyat to do well. Mostly because bringing him back makes little sense to me and I would like to be right about that.
* Drama with regards to Rich Energy. I have a bucket of popcorn all ready for that.

Richard
Old 13 Feb 2019, 16:25 (Ref:3883874)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Ok, so here we go - things I want to see this season:
  • Someone other than Mercedes to win the Constructors Championship.
  • Someone other than Lewis to win the Drivers Championship.
  • Kimi to carry on being Kimi.
  • A team other than Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull to win a race.

As for teams I root for - used to be Jordan back in the day, now I'm less bothered (I can think of reasons to not like several teams though). Driver is easy - Kimi! I hope Kubica does well too after everything he's been through.
Old 13 Feb 2019, 16:56 (Ref:3883876)   #6
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I hope Ricciardo does well with Renault as he is my favourite driver due to his sunny personality. I hope RBR-Honda has enough to challenge Ferrari and Merc. I hope Leclerc shows his talent in that Ferrari. I really hope Kimi can do something with Alfa. And I hope Bobby can help Williams get out of their hole
Old 13 Feb 2019, 18:19 (Ref:3883893)   #7
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope Honda pull out of F1 and put the money into Super GT
Old 14 Feb 2019, 00:50 (Ref:3883982)   #8
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm also pulling for Kimi, D. R. and Kubica. Would love to see a podium for Haas and/or Sauber this year. Something other than a red or silver car contending for either championship is almost too much to hope for.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 01:23 (Ref:3883986)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wish list...
#3 Renault wins multiple races this season.. top 3 WDC for Mr Ricciardo
Williams to win a GP with Robert Kubica...
Alfa Romeo to win a GP with Kimi Raikonnen
Force India to win a GP with Lance Stroll...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 14 Feb 2019, 01:48 (Ref:3883988)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Alonso. Oh. Pants.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 08:15 (Ref:3884029)   #11
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would dearly love Ricardo to have an epic year wins and top 5 finish.
Kimi too constantly outshine Vettel and his old team,
Hamilton to continue his winning ways
George to out class Kubica at Williams
Old 14 Feb 2019, 11:22 (Ref:3884101)   #12
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For the health of the sport someone other than Lewis to win the Championship.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 15:54 (Ref:3884171)   #13
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Alonso. Oh. Pants.

just bought tickets for my first Indy 500 so im rooting for him this year as well!
Old 14 Feb 2019, 16:40 (Ref:3884187)   #14
davec
Racer

United Kingdom
davec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that the interesting thing this year is that every one of the teams has the ingredients to finish on the podium. Toro Rosso and Alfa Romeo now have investment and closer tie to bigger teams and Hass were not a million miles off last year. Racing Point will always be in the midfield but you always feel that they could spring a surprise.

Even Williams now have a bit more purpose about them and two exciting drivers!!

There are no "backmarkers" any more so although it is not always close at the front the battle for 19th/20th could be mega!!!
Old 14 Feb 2019, 22:25 (Ref:3884263)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

just bought tickets for my first Indy 500 so im rooting for him this year as well!
Oooo, i could do that too. Do you know when they sell out? I kind of need to wait before I commit.

Sorry that is all OT.

The reason I mention the Alonso thing is that I don’t really know what I care for this year in F1. Leclerc being good would be nice. And Kubica, although I far from expect that. Williams and McLaren making a comeback would be nice.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 08:00 (Ref:3884325)   #16
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I continue to be impressed by the Mercedes commitment to excellence/domination, as an engineer I can't fail to.
However, in my heart I too would like to see good old Team Willy get some much better results, they are a team of racers.
McLaren (now that Ron has gone) have also spent too long in the doldrums abd I'd love to see them get closer to the pointy end this year.
Racing Point are another who as Force India always appeared to be punching well above their weight, now that they have a more solid financial backing it would be good to see them have the success they all deserve. It'll also be interesting to see just how good (or not so) a driver young Lance is now he has better machinery under him.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 16:39 (Ref:3884427)   #17
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I'd like to see the all rookies give a good impression of themselves.

I hope that LeClerc make the most of this opportunity also.
Old 18 Feb 2019, 16:53 (Ref:3885065)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No specific expectations or hopes for that matter. Some good racing and good performances by the teams and the drivers mentioned already. It would be good to see a couple of teams pushing through from the midfield, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 20 Feb 2019, 03:30 (Ref:3885459)   #19
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
It would appear that nobody needs to root for Williams as they are self-rooting!
Old 24 Feb 2019, 14:51 (Ref:3886331)   #20
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Alfa Romeo for me!

Hoping Sainz can recover a rep that took a bashing last year.

Also hoping Russell, Albon go well.
Old 24 Feb 2019, 23:40 (Ref:3886404)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
It would appear that nobody needs to root for Williams as they are self-rooting!

Maybe they have sponsorship from a plumbing company with those electric eels... known as RotaRooters in some parts of the world
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 25 Feb 2019, 08:24 (Ref:3886449)   #22
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll be rooting for Alfa Romeo (to be a regular threat to the top of the "B squad"), Leclerc (to make the lives interesting for Vettel and Hamilton), Ricciardo (to surprise in the Renault) and Red Bull (to manage what McLaren couldn't with Honda) in no particular order.
Old 27 Feb 2019, 09:29 (Ref:3887023)   #23
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rooting for:

- Leclerc
- Red Bull-Honda including Verstappen and Gasly
- Renault, especially Ricciardo
- Toro Rosso-Honda, especially Albon
Old 28 Feb 2019, 09:01 (Ref:3887251)   #24
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Rooting for:

- Leclerc
- Red Bull-Honda including Verstappen and Gasly
- Renault, especially Ricciardo
- Toro Rosso-Honda, especially Albon
I forgot to add Leclerc to my list. Hoping he's see Vettel off.
Old 5 Mar 2019, 20:15 (Ref:3888488)   #25
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
I'm not rooting for anybody or any team in prticular, or wishing anyone or any team bad things.

For the best of the championship, I hope someone other than Lewis wins the driver championship and someone else than Mercedes wins the constructor championship.
Realistically, Ferrari probably has the best chance to do so; and Vettel is the most likely candidate for the title then. Bottas as a champion would be as OK to me as anybody else (though unlikely).
While I hope someone other than Mercedes wins the constructors championship, I don't want them to be blown away either. Just beaten by somone who is marginally better this year.

I wish Renault gets the engine boost it was looking for. This would probably bring Renault (the team) a bit closer to Ferrari-Mercedes-Red Bull. A four-way fight is always nicer than a three-way fight. At the same time, that could also benefit McLaren.
I hope Sainz does well, I like the guy since I met him at Spa some years ago (in Renault World Series)

Next, I hope Leclerc does alright against Vettel. Close to him when Vettel has the upper hand, and beat him from time to time. I hope Ferrari has enough patience when/if things don't go smoothly at times, and does not put unnecessary pressure on him.