Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Jun 2011, 18:09 (Ref:2890095)   #1
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Lewis chooses his 3 strongest rivals

The heading tells you what the thread is all about and I'll let the story tell you the rest: http://www.crash.net/f1/news/169828/...f1_rivals.html

Somewhat controversial, I think, and possibly reflecting a change in intra-team friendship.
Old 2 Jun 2011, 18:29 (Ref:2890108)   #2
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I'd say Alonso and Vettel were his main two rivals. I'd struggle to name a clear third. I think his choice of Nico is just to big-up his mate. I'm not convinced it says anything about his relationship with Button. I read somewhere that Lewis, Nico and Adrian Sutil are inseparable.
Old 2 Jun 2011, 19:26 (Ref:2890127)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Somewhat controversial, I think, and possibly reflecting a change in intra-team friendship.
Sucked in!
Old 2 Jun 2011, 19:48 (Ref:2890141)   #4
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will never understand the current overrating of Nico Rosberg. I just don't get it. He's a good driver, and on current evidence, he looks very good to win a race at some point. But is he really better than Webber or Button? For those who will say he just chose some no.1's from contenders, is Mercedes really a contender? Do they honestly look much better than Honda at this point?
Old 2 Jun 2011, 20:03 (Ref:2890151)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
News? Or just more mind games?
Old 2 Jun 2011, 20:06 (Ref:2890156)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wonder if Kubica could be the third if he was around...
Old 2 Jun 2011, 20:14 (Ref:2890164)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
I wonder if Kubica could be the third if he was around...
Not mentioned, but probably not too upset about it.
Old 2 Jun 2011, 21:26 (Ref:2890217)   #8
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Sucked in!
Maybe, but I think Jenson will let his driving do the talking.
Old 2 Jun 2011, 22:13 (Ref:2890246)   #9
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alonso and Vettel are the obvious two and after that it's open to opinion, including the opinion of Rosberg. I personally rate Rosberg and Button fairly similarly.
Old 2 Jun 2011, 22:41 (Ref:2890258)   #10
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
I will never understand the current overrating of Nico Rosberg. I just don't get it. He's a good driver, and on current evidence, he looks very good to win a race at some point. But is he really better than Webber or Button? For those who will say he just chose some no.1's from contenders, is Mercedes really a contender? Do they honestly look much better than Honda at this point?
I would rate the drivers as Hamilton has here.
If you look at Rosberg over this year and last he has been flawless and fast especially when you consider who his team mate is and their relative performances.
Old 2 Jun 2011, 22:46 (Ref:2890259)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Ironically, and on the same web site, today.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/169831/...as_honest.html

“All I can say is, you reap what you sow. Don't now expect Lewis to say anything interesting over the coming days, weeks or months. Do expect him to give a lot of one-word answers about front wings and KERS devices. I for one won't blame him."

Sorry DC, it's business as usual.
Old 2 Jun 2011, 23:09 (Ref:2890269)   #12
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
"When he gave that interview, he had seen the race only through the prism of his race helmet. He had not seen replays, like the stewards or the fans at home had. Maybe having seen replays, he will change his mind and apologise to Felipe Massa and Pastor Maldonado."

What does this mean?

Insult and slander anyone you like unfairly and when you find there is clear video evidence that you are the one to blame, it is not your fault!

Hamilton has no credibility left at all, lies to stewards, tries to influence their decisions with mistruths on his car radio, slanders his competitors and the stewards after the race! Blames his team regularly for everything affecting his performance.

Nice chap really!
Old 2 Jun 2011, 23:35 (Ref:2890280)   #13
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
compared to TGF he's an absolute angel...
Old 2 Jun 2011, 23:40 (Ref:2890283)   #14
luke g28
Racer

luke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridluke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Ironically, and on the same web site, today.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/169831/...as_honest.html

“All I can say is, you reap what you sow. Don't now expect Lewis to say anything interesting over the coming days, weeks or months. Do expect him to give a lot of one-word answers about front wings and KERS devices. I for one won't blame him."

Sorry DC, it's business as usual.
Quote:
Hamilton's response that 'maybe it's because I'm black' when he was asked why he feels he is being singled out for particular victimisation by the stewards this season has opened up a whole can of worms, with the governing body now debating whether any further sanctions against the McLaren-Mercedes ace are necessary for bringing the sport into disrepute
Talk about Irony, he remarks half jokingly that he's being picked on so the FIA want to penalise him further?
Old 3 Jun 2011, 00:03 (Ref:2890286)   #15
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
The heading tells you what the thread is all about and I'll let the story tell you the rest: http://www.crash.net/f1/news/169828/...f1_rivals.html

What have you done !
Old 3 Jun 2011, 00:38 (Ref:2890291)   #16
Oran Park Forever
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Oran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
"When he gave that interview, he had seen the race only through the prism of his race helmet. He had not seen replays, like the stewards or the fans at home had. Maybe having seen replays, he will change his mind and apologise to Felipe Massa and Pastor Maldonado."

What does this mean?

Insult and slander anyone you like unfairly and when you find there is clear video evidence that you are the one to blame, it is not your fault!

Hamilton has no credibility left at all, lies to stewards, tries to influence their decisions with mistruths on his car radio, slanders his competitors and the stewards after the race! Blames his team regularly for everything affecting his performance.

Nice chap really!
It's official..........Hamilton is the new Prost!
If the game isn't played his way (& his way only) he kicks & screams so the sucker media pays him (undue) attention......

Old 3 Jun 2011, 09:13 (Ref:2890409)   #17
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

What does this mean?

Nice chap really!
I don't know whether you race wnut, but the first comment is very valid - racing makes you very single minded, and you come off the track exactly as the comment says. You can them be persuaded otherwise by the footage, or by comments from others - I know I have. This incident sounds exactly like that - and the media has made what was a (admitedly, large) molehill in to a much larger mountain. LH cocked up, made some silly comments in the heat of the moment, and, as far as I can tell, apologised later.

I really cannot figure out how LH makes so many people so angry. He's simply a very single minded and very talented racing driver who in the heat of the moment sometimes lets his emotions get away from him. Oh, could it be jealousy? That ugly girlfriend of his, and that pathetic salary....

Or, just maybe, to quote Ali-G "Is it 'cos he is black?" Sorry, bad joke! Almost as badly timed as LH himself.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 10:08 (Ref:2890431)   #18
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
I don't know whether you race wnut, but the first comment is very valid - racing makes you very single minded, and you come off the track exactly as the comment says. You can them be persuaded otherwise by the footage, or by comments from others - I know I have. This incident sounds exactly like that - and the media has made what was a (admitedly, large) molehill in to a much larger mountain. LH cocked up, made some silly comments in the heat of the moment, and, as far as I can tell, apologised later.

I really cannot figure out how LH makes so many people so angry. He's simply a very single minded and very talented racing driver who in the heat of the moment sometimes lets his emotions get away from him. Oh, could it be jealousy? That ugly girlfriend of his, and that pathetic salary....

Or, just maybe, to quote Ali-G "Is it 'cos he is black?" Sorry, bad joke! Almost as badly timed as LH himself.
The media that "made a (admitedly, large) molehill in to a much larger mountain" today is the same media, that wrote the wrecker that Hamilton is, into the superstar status he still carries from back in the day.
I do not like Hamilton because he does stunts on the circuit that will end bad for both if the other driver doesn't throw the anchor and yet he [Hamiton] still gets applauded for.
Old example, but here it goes again. Back in F3 days Hamilton closed in to Sutil on the way from La Source to Eau Rouge at Spa circuit. He then overtook Sutil on the outside through Eau Rouge which at first, admittedly, looked like a brilliant move. Until it became clear by the various replays that Sutil had to lift midway, in order for both to make the corner. Something Jacky Ickx didn't do when Stefan Bellof attempted a very similar move at the same spot in 1985. How it turned out we all know.
Hamilton then went on to became the "ultimate race driver, overtaker, etc. .." . But again often only because the guys he fought for position pulled of the battle and waved him by in attempts of not getting their races wrecked.
Until Singapore 2010 and Monaco 2011 most of the people never saw the wrecker Hamilton is, I bet. It wasn't running for him, he met opponence for once (that usually pulled out of his way in the past) and promptly he crashes the opponents both times. Something that shone through when he met Alonso at McLaren, by the way, but being the teams pet and everyones darling back then he got away with it.
Today he only is a world champion in talking bull **** when it doesn't run his way. He did that before but being everyones darling he got (and gets) away with most of the bullsy stuff he is saying.
No I don't like race drivers wo get waved by because otherwise they'd deliberately wreck opponents races and cars like Hamilton did at Monaco when it didn't run his way. I am sorry but I am not able to like such a deliberate wrecker Hamilton is
Old 3 Jun 2011, 10:19 (Ref:2890439)   #19
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
News? Or just more mind games?
Neither. I'd put it under gossip.

I'm sure most other drivers on the grid would name Hamilton as their most dangerous opponent.

Of course, it depends how you define dangerous...
Old 3 Jun 2011, 10:40 (Ref:2890447)   #20
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Picking my way delicately through the pools of venom dripping from umpteen keyboards, I'd make a couple of observations......

If I, as a racing driver, make the mistake of leaving a gap when a rival is looking to overtake, and he takes advantage of that gap to position himself such that I can't take the line I want without crashing into him, so he gets to overtake, I don't consider that that makes him a "wrecker" - the only "wreck" will happen if I make the mistake of trying to recover from my error in leaving the gap.......so I don't, I get overtaken, and learn from the experience. Whilst no one has an inalienable right to overtake, nobody equally has the right to take any line they want to stop an overtake, once they've left themselves open to it.

Secondly, people talk as if Hamilton - and indeed every other driver - are actively seeking the press to voice their opinions immediately after the race......"he kicks & screams so the sucker media pays him (undue) attention" - whereas in reality it's the media that are desperate to get an interview, so the drivers get a microphone stuck under their nose and are asked often leading questions in just the attempt to get an unguarded remark.......and surprise, surprise, from time to time they find a driver who is still wound up with a massive amount of adrenalin still coursing through their veins, and get just such a quote......I'm sure that given time to calm down and consider an emollient answer, Hamilton would have come out with a better answer to the question "Why do you think you are magnetic to the Stewards?" - but he didn't have the time, so the BBC got their "shock" quote.......which didn't shock me or anyone I know when we watched it live......just gave another opportunity for the chattering classes to vent their spleen.....

Everyone's entitles to an opinion.....except Hamilton of course, who should just apologise to everyone for being a racing driver........
Old 3 Jun 2011, 10:57 (Ref:2890453)   #21
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Picking my way delicately through the pools of venom dripping from umpteen keyboards, I'd make a couple of observations......

If I, as a racing driver, make the mistake of leaving a gap when a rival is looking to overtake, and he takes advantage of that gap to position himself such that I can't take the line I want without crashing into him, so he gets to overtake, I don't consider that that makes him a "wrecker" - the only "wreck" will happen if I make the mistake of trying to recover from my error in leaving the gap.......so I don't, I get overtaken, and learn from the experience. Whilst no one has an inalienable right to overtake, nobody equally has the right to take any line they want to stop an overtake, once they've left themselves open to it.

Secondly, people talk as if Hamilton - and indeed every other driver - are actively seeking the press to voice their opinions immediately after the race......"he kicks & screams so the sucker media pays him (undue) attention" - whereas in reality it's the media that are desperate to get an interview, so the drivers get a microphone stuck under their nose and are asked often leading questions in just the attempt to get an unguarded remark.......and surprise, surprise, from time to time they find a driver who is still wound up with a massive amount of adrenalin still coursing through their veins, and get just such a quote......I'm sure that given time to calm down and consider an emollient answer, Hamilton would have come out with a better answer to the question "Why do you think you are magnetic to the Stewards?" - but he didn't have the time, so the BBC got their "shock" quote.......which didn't shock me or anyone I know when we watched it live......just gave another opportunity for the chattering classes to vent their spleen.....

Everyone's entitles to an opinion.....except Hamilton of course, who should just apologise to everyone for being a racing driver........
You are excusing brainless statements with adrenaline ? Oh dear
Old 3 Jun 2011, 11:07 (Ref:2890458)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post

Of course, it depends how you define dangerous...
Not so much dangerous as over ambitious.

I'm starting to think that winning championships is not as easy for him as he first thought. 5 seasons in and it's looking like he'll just have 'the one that nearly wasn't' to his name. Probably not what he had envisaged, at all.

Quote:
Whilst no one has an inalienable right to overtake, nobody equally has the right to take any line they want to stop an overtake, once they've left themselves open to it.
Indeed. It's called "weaving", as Lewis well knows.

What we didn't see in the still photographs was that Hamilton had to check his progress when Maldanado had made his one move to defend. This compromised his momentum to take the corner in as clean a way that the same move worked on Schumacher.

I hope to see more of Lewis's hard driving in future races. It's his 'style' of driving. Indeed, I don't think that he's going to change that at all. It's very entertaining to watch, but not always correct. He may have to include himself as one of his main rivals.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 11:31 (Ref:2890466)   #23
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post

He makes me angry because he types like a 15 year old girl.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 11:47 (Ref:2890478)   #24
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77 View Post
The media that "made a (admitedly, large) molehill in to a much larger mountain" today is the same media, that wrote the wrecker that Hamilton is, into the superstar status he still carries from back in the day.
I do not like Hamilton because he does stunts on the circuit that will end bad for both if the other driver doesn't throw the anchor and yet he [Hamiton] still gets applauded for.
Old example, but here it goes again. Back in F3 days Hamilton closed in to Sutil on the way from La Source to Eau Rouge at Spa circuit. He then overtook Sutil on the outside through Eau Rouge which at first, admittedly, looked like a brilliant move. Until it became clear by the various replays that Sutil had to lift midway, in order for both to make the corner. Something Jacky Ickx didn't do when Stefan Bellof attempted a very similar move at the same spot in 1985. How it turned out we all know.
Hamilton then went on to became the "ultimate race driver, overtaker, etc. .." . But again often only because the guys he fought for position pulled of the battle and waved him by in attempts of not getting their races wrecked.
Until Singapore 2010 and Monaco 2011 most of the people never saw the wrecker Hamilton is, I bet. It wasn't running for him, he met opponence for once (that usually pulled out of his way in the past) and promptly he crashes the opponents both times. Something that shone through when he met Alonso at McLaren, by the way, but being the teams pet and everyones darling back then he got away with it.
Today he only is a world champion in talking bull **** when it doesn't run his way. He did that before but being everyones darling he got (and gets) away with most of the bullsy stuff he is saying.
No I don't like race drivers wo get waved by because otherwise they'd deliberately wreck opponents races and cars like Hamilton did at Monaco when it didn't run his way. I am sorry but I am not able to like such a deliberate wrecker Hamilton is
Couldn't you make this case for anyone who's ever been hailed as a great overtaker? That's kind of part and parcel of being a good overtaker in F1, is it not? Senna did the same, and if Schumacher hadn't been way out in front in his peak years, he'd probably have done the same as well.

I'm not the world's biggest Hamilton fan either, but some of you are getting ridiculous and borderline hypocritical with your complaints. Same as those who complained about Vettel. We've been spoiled by the amount of clean overtakes, but when you show up to a track like Monaco (which, make no mistake about it, is a godawful racing track for anything bigger than Minis) and all of those things are now irrelevant, and it's up to the driver, you have to be able to risk these things when you overtake, if you're going to overtake. Lewis made mistakes, but he at least tried to rectify them before the championship slipped out of his hands. Unlike one thick browed Spaniard who expects every one to just clear out of his path with a wave of his hand. That sort of thing should be looked down upon much more than what Lewis does. Because, well, what Lewis does is racing.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 12:29 (Ref:2890490)   #25
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Picking my way delicately through the pools of venom dripping from umpteen keyboards.....

Love it! May have to 'borrow' that.