Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 Apr 2016, 19:56 (Ref:3633083)   #101
CJFG
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wigan
CJFG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nearly a fortnight on and I've finally managed to watch this year's opening races. I echo everyone else in believing that the field is much closer than it has been in some time. BMR deserve huge credit for getting all their Subarus out in time, though I'm not a fan of the Levorg (or any other estate as a racing car.) Great qualifying and racecraft from Ingram. Abbott, Martin and Ollie Jackson's incident could have been much worse as could Fletcher and Howard's while WSR's Collard and Tordoff broke the unwritten rule of not taking off your team-mate. Great debut victory for Ingram though, thoroughly deserved. Sutton deserves a mention for almost achieving a debut podium as do Hill (13th) and Welch (15th.)

The status quo made a reappearance in the second race. The Hondas (minus Neate) headed the pack for the bulk of it after the unnecessary contact between Collard and Ingram. Knowing that Collard doesn't mind indulging in a bit of argy-bargy, Ingram was foolish attempting that kind of move. Cook was running solidly again as he did in the first race until he slid off just shy of the finish. Out of the three races, this was the least entertaining of the lot, though that's not to say it was boring. Shedden and Neal drove within their limits to finish 1st and 2nd. Aron Smith's drive to 3rd for BKR was well-deserved as was Welch's to 12th, while Plato in 13th wrung that under-developed Levorg to score Subaru's first points.

Jackson and Jordan were very, very lucky not to collect each other and possibly half the field at the start of the third race. Hats off to Jordan for that save though. Fletcher binned it early on but overall I don't think he looks out of his depth at this level. Despite his puncture throwing him off the road, I think Shedden will likely be the man to beat again this year. The same consistency and quality is there from last year. Morgan held on from Tordoff to win, but I was half-expecting a repeat of Knockhill from last year when Neal beat him barely a lap from home. Credit for clinging on though. Turkington impressed like Plato earlier to finish 12th and praise too for Simpson in 15th, getting a point on his first weekend in the series.

That Indy circuit at Brands Hatch was again notorious for traffic, but with 32 cars it seemed heavier than usual. Ingram's first win, and Morgan's first (on the road anyway) stand out to me. Just getting the BMR Subaru's out was a job well done so points were a bonus. Simpson and Sutton did well to score debut points and it was nice to see Welch competitive again. Looking forward to Donington Park this weekend (largely because I'm going.)