Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Aug 2019, 01:03 (Ref:3921752)   #851
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, once again the V8SC teams are not prepared. its GRM and Kelly that seem to be having these issues.

if they don't carry spares , nor in the past 6 months have looked to procure spares - it speaks mainly to their lack of preparation than anything else. Its not fair to talk a series down because a couple of "professional" teams haven't got their **** together.
Old 7 Aug 2019, 01:07 (Ref:3921753)   #852
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My thoughts exactly.
Old 7 Aug 2019, 02:10 (Ref:3921758)   #853
HDTVKSS
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
How long does $220k (car without spares) get you Supercar engine maintenance for?
so, taking my figures from Ingalls show -

120 - 150K for an engine (X2 at least, per car - more realistically 3 for most teams) TOTAL per car - 360 - 450 K. seems sustainable...

Rebuild per engine at between 2000 - 4000 K's - $40K. X 3 = $120000 (given most cars do approx 14000 K's this would be higher)

then account for development, blow ups etc....

So, looks like you could comfortably purchase a TCR complete, and have a complete spare car for the price of just a V8SC engine programme. Hell, you can have 2X spare cars.

Last edited by HDTVKSS; 7 Aug 2019 at 02:17.
Old 7 Aug 2019, 03:02 (Ref:3921761)   #854
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVKSS View Post
So, once again the V8SC teams are not prepared. its GRM and Kelly that seem to be having these issues.

if they don't carry spares , nor in the past 6 months have looked to procure spares - it speaks mainly to their lack of preparation than anything else. Its not fair to talk a series down because a couple of "professional" teams haven't got their **** together.

Indeed.

This isn’t a TCR issue this the teams fault. And you would think teams of that caliber would be more prepared spares wise.
Old 7 Aug 2019, 03:13 (Ref:3921762)   #855
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You never said anything at buying an engine. Regardless it is a pointless comparison. A TCR engine is 1/10th the cost of a Supercar engine, but who cares? It is like comparing laptimes.

Supercar teams in TCR is not the issue.

Honda and Hyundai are the form cars and seem to be going ok. The cars are plentiful and all the issues seem to be sorted.

However ARG wanted the other brands in and the Kelly's got the gong because Subaru were interested. Anybody else with a brain would have known that car is an undeveloped dog. Nobody has spares because ARG didn't pay for them. Also, by the claims made about the series, they perhaps shouldn't have been needed. 350hp isn't exactly a high strung engine. I would also posit that there wasn't a spare engine at Top Run to buy...

GRM are going a little better but the Renault is also suffering under development, but that manufacturer experiment looks to be successful.

How long before we know how much of all of this is self sustaining and can operate without the promoter kicking in millions to populate the train set?
Old 7 Aug 2019, 04:42 (Ref:3921769)   #856
HDTVKSS
Veteran

Quote:
You never said anything at buying an engine. Regardless it is a pointless comparison. A TCR engine is 1/10th the cost of a Supercar engine, but who cares? It is like comparing laptimes.

Supercar teams in TCR is not the issue.

Honda and Hyundai are the form cars and seem to be going ok. The cars are plentiful and all the issues seem to be sorted.

However ARG wanted the other brands in and the Kelly's got the gong because Subaru were interested. Anybody else with a brain would have known that car is an undeveloped dog. Nobody has spares because ARG didn't pay for them. Also, by the claims made about the series, they perhaps shouldn't have been needed. 350hp isn't exactly a high strung engine. I would also posit that there wasn't a spare engine at Top Run to buy...

GRM are going a little better but the Renault is also suffering under development, but that manufacturer experiment looks to be successful.

How long before we know how much of all of this is self sustaining and can operate without the promoter kicking in millions to populate the train set?
The Alfa, Audi and on its day VW go ok too.

Id say the people that have to source the finance and pay the bills for both series are concerned regarding the costs.

We get it - you dont like top run or the Subaru, or ARG and seem to be pretty down on the series in general here and worldwide. Its ok, you dont have to like it - no ones going to think less of you. it's getting a bit like a broken record though.

Last edited by HDTVKSS; 7 Aug 2019 at 04:58.
Old 7 Aug 2019, 06:14 (Ref:3921773)   #857
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
We get it - you dont like top run or the Subaru, or ARG and seem to be pretty down on the series in general here and worldwide. Its ok, you dont have to like it - no ones going to think less of you. it's getting a bit like a broken record though.
That is bullshit. I admire the commitment and vision that ARG show with this, but right now it is an illusion. I've really enjoyed the racing this year and I've watched more local and international TCR this year than any other series. I've enjoyed some very talented and likeable youngsters running up the front, and also enjoyed some of the big name cameos in unfamiliar cars.

it is however amateur hour to spend $5m to get a series up and running and lose so many entries due to a lack of spares which you would think would be part of the package, especially given how crash-happy TCR is overseas. If you're paying $220k for a car, surely $8k-$10k for a spare engine doesn't break the bank?

The Subaru has barely finished a race overseas and isn't a competitive car, and it is more of an orphan than any of the other cars. Anybody who has watched any TCR would know that. Andre's driving was in some ways heroic but hard on the machine, which may have already been long in the tooth. I'm kinda hoping the Kelly's take over the homologation of it and sort it out. They have a lot of capacity in their operation and depending on what they do with the Supercars team, maybe some of them could be looking for more work.

GRM have also hinted at some further involvement with the Renault.
Old 7 Aug 2019, 11:34 (Ref:3921808)   #858
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Edit - Already raised in other thread. Sorry!

Last edited by Senna05; 7 Aug 2019 at 11:37. Reason: Double Post
Old 7 Aug 2019, 11:38 (Ref:3921809)   #859
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Several members of the motorsport fraternity who were there, are insinuating that it was.
Old 8 Aug 2019, 01:33 (Ref:3921885)   #860
HDTVKSS
Veteran

Quote:
The Subaru has barely finished a race overseas and isn't a competitive car, and it is more of an orphan than any of the other cars. Anybody who has watched any TCR would know that. Andre's driving was in some ways heroic but hard on the machine, which may have already been long in the tooth. I'm kinda hoping the Kelly's take over the homologation of it and sort it out. They have a lot of capacity in their operation and depending on what they do with the Supercars team, maybe some of them could be looking for more work.
Given they have had a good look at the WRX, and assuming Top Run doesnt want to relinquish rights they may be better off taking the concept and looking at something like the Levorg (assuming that a) Subaru is interested and b) this is possible to have multiple cars from same manuf in series) .

I notice there are a hell of a lot of Subaru BRZ's running around in the USA series ( not sure if thats the same regs?) but even they seem to be a better option at this point.

Thing is, given the Kellys have no experience in putting together an FWD package, there probably isnt huge experience in this country to do so (FWD) at a professional level, and lets face it the Nissan was / is pretty average in V8SC and totally under developed - there is little reason to think that they can do a better job.
Old 8 Aug 2019, 06:19 (Ref:3921897)   #861
iconic
Racer

iconic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if any team will pickup the Pegueots? They are going good in TCR Europe - perhaps KR?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 8 Aug 2019, 06:34 (Ref:3921899)   #862
Umai Naa
Veteran

I'm surprised Peugeot isn't already represented.
Old 8 Aug 2019, 08:05 (Ref:3921910)   #863
tobyobi
Rookie

tobyobi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
this is possible to have multiple cars from same manuf in series) .
Hyundai offer the i30N and the Veloster side by side - though I am unsure if TCR allows homologation from different vendors for the same brand.
Old 8 Aug 2019, 08:06 (Ref:3921912)   #864
Umai Naa
Veteran

Judging by a recent social media post by Ms Angelo, it doesn't appear her seat is secure anymore.
Old 8 Aug 2019, 08:50 (Ref:3921914)   #865
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Judging by a recent social media post by Ms Angelo, it doesn't appear her seat is secure anymore.
The seat is ok... it’s the big noisy air pump thing with the hole in it and bits of metal covered in oil dripping on the ground that may not concur...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 8 Aug 2019, 09:02 (Ref:3921916)   #866
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
None of the Misses have impressed, relative to male counterparts I thought of similar ability.

I kinda expected Mrs Tander to show them a, clean pair of heels in by far the best car of the bunch, but I think Molly Taylor has been the standout given the relative car pace. Am I being unfair?

It would seem Leanne is working on a deal for next year, and he had some form of relationship with the ARG decision makers in the past.
Old 8 Aug 2019, 09:24 (Ref:3921922)   #867
Umai Naa
Veteran

Ms Whitley has been the most consistent.
Old 11 Aug 2019, 01:15 (Ref:3922252)   #868
Mixer
Veteran

https://www.racecarsdirect.com/Adver...w-golf-gti-tcr

Cheap at 80k Euro!
Old 15 Aug 2019, 02:45 (Ref:3922801)   #869
Mixer
Veteran

Marty Brant is in with some Cupras:
https://autoaction.com.au/2019/08/15...E4OQamC255rnys

Given the prices I am not surprised, even if Seat isn't sold here.
Old 15 Aug 2019, 06:19 (Ref:3922807)   #870
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Marty Brant is in with some Cupras:
https://autoaction.com.au/2019/08/15...E4OQamC255rnys

Given the prices I am not surprised, even if Seat isn't sold here.
Absolutely nothing wrong with a Seat Cupra TCR car, they have exactly the same running gear as the VW and the Audi, and are built in the same Facility in Spain.

I had a good look at Robert Delgrens Cupra, at the last round of the Swedish TCR Championship at Falconberg, were he won 3 from 3 races in a dominant fashion. Its a neat package and represents great value for money, both new and second hand.

Smart decision Marty old mate. As to who might drive the car, I couldn't possibly guess! LOL.
Old 16 Aug 2019, 00:28 (Ref:3922924)   #871
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Warbler is back in the big chair at Seven West.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...16-p52hps.html

Do you think that will mean TCR and the ARG categories could potentially get Channel 7 exposure when not on a Supercars bill? Or will it mean an avoidance due conflict of interest?
Old 16 Aug 2019, 01:40 (Ref:3922927)   #872
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Do you think that will mean TCR and the ARG categories could potentially get Channel 7 exposure when not on a Supercars bill? Or will it mean an avoidance due conflict of interest?
in commercial TV now you're gonna get what you pay for.
Old 21 Aug 2019, 07:26 (Ref:3923591)   #873
Umai Naa
Veteran

Two-day format for Winton.

Strange that they're allegedly doing it as a favour to the teams, that by and large, are being heavily subsidised to be there
Old 21 Aug 2019, 07:31 (Ref:3923593)   #874
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Almost like they're doing it because there are only three categories on the card, and S5000 isn't making the trip.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 07:22 (Ref:3927280)   #875
Umai Naa
Veteran

Subarus benched for Sandown.

I suppose there isn't much point now that Ms Taylor is no longer providing free driveshafts...