Closed Thread

Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:38 (Ref:903524)   #1
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OH NO!! A Villeneuve thread...the horror

I am sorry but I am quite angry with Wrex for closing the last Villeneuve thread before I had a chance to put in my own two cents.

I really don't understand his problem with allowing at least one Villeneuve thread on the board??? I can see if the topic was getting out of control and there were three or more topics on the same issue but this is not the case. I feel like I am Winston in Orwell's 1984 referring to "unpersons" at which the administration has to quickly dispose of as they (Villeueve) no longer exist.

Sorry to say it Wrex but he does exist, and no matter how afraid you are that he might get a decent drive and be able to challenge your beloved Michael, at least 25% of this forum belived there was a chance he could be back with Williams next year (not to include any other drive people think he could land).
If one in four people feel this way in the forum why can't we discuss the issue? If people don't want to talk about it then they don't have to participate in the thread, why must you silence anybody who wants to discuss the issue? It's pathetic really.

No doubt this thread will even be closed as well, only displaying my point even further.

At any rate I think Villeneuve is a worthwhile topic, there are so many drives coming available next year and even Peter Sauber said that he would have hired Villeneuve for this year if he had known in time that he would be available.

Flavio Briatore has also stated that and I quote " “I’m a big fan of Jacques,” said Briatore. “He is a big name and, if he doesn’t find a drive in F1 next year, its a shame because we need people like him.
“I am sure that we’ll see him again in 2005 because he is still a good driver and can offer value to a team. Who knows, he might even end up at Renault.”
http://sport.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2041520

At any rate until Villeneuve officially announces his retirement there is still quite a good chance that he could return, and I would appreciate it if we were still allowed to mention his name on this forum, which is usually pretty fair on all other matters.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:44 (Ref:903532)   #2
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: OH NO!! A Villeneuve thread...the horror

Quote:
Originally posted by TeddyG
until Villeneuve officially announces his retirement
Wait a minute, what was that supposed to mean? (that was in a put friengly manner) JVilleneuve did NOT oifficially announce his retirtement, but noone, and I mean not even Stoddard requires his services? Comeone TG...
Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:44 (Ref:903533)   #3
006_007
Racer

006_007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Villeneuve...

While being a Villeneuve fan, I highly doubt that Williams will be willing to pay the salary he requires. Unfortunately for F1 I do not think we will be seeing him in a cockpit again.

TJ
Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:45 (Ref:903534)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Watch it. Wrex has a baseball bat.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:48 (Ref:903537)   #5
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Re: Villeneuve...

Quote:
Originally posted by 006_007
While being a Villeneuve fan, I highly doubt that Williams will be willing to pay the salary he requires. Unfortunately for F1 I do not think we will be seeing him in a cockpit again.

TJ
Villeneuve has only said that he refuses to be a pay driver. That's all. Obviously he realises that he can no longer command the salery he was once paid, I wouldn't rule out that he would drive for free if promised a decent drive.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:48 (Ref:903538)   #6
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
Watch it. Wrex has a baseball bat.
And what a great way to settle differences huh?
Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:50 (Ref:903541)   #7
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But it's a big bat!
Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:51 (Ref:903544)   #8
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Re: Re: OH NO!! A Villeneuve thread...the horror

Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Wait a minute, what was that supposed to mean? (that was in a put friengly manner) JVilleneuve did NOT oifficially announce his retirtement, but noone, and I mean not even Stoddard requires his services? Comeone TG...
I'm not quite sure what you mean here Red?
All I'm saying is that until Villeneuve OFFICIALLY announces that he no longer has a desire to race in the future we should be able to discuss the possibilities of where he might end up racing in 2005, especially with comments like I have shown from Sauber and Briatore.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:53 (Ref:903546)   #9
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
TG, you really are not helping his cause. "He refuses to be a pay driver" but he "doesn't officially announce retirement"..... really...
Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:53 (Ref:903547)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is possible i suppose that we could see Jacques back on the grid next year, BUT:

HE WOULD NOT BE IN A TOP TEAM!

Actually, on the basis of that, he won't be in F1 next year.

Give Le Mans a shot JV! I'd love to see you in that great event!
Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:53 (Ref:903548)   #11
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by ASCII Man
But it's a big bat!

I am aware of the size of the bat ASCII! And how often it is unfairly weilded around here.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:56 (Ref:903552)   #12
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The intent of this thread is incredibly transparent and I do not see the point of it.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:57 (Ref:903554)   #13
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
TG, you really are not helping his cause. "He refuses to be a pay driver" but he "doesn't officially announce retirement"..... really...
????? Sorry man are you drunk?
By refusing to be a pay driver I mean the only statement about salery JV has made is that he will never pay a team out of his own pocket to race for them, he doesn't believe in it. What this has to do with not announcing his retirement I have no idea what you mean. :confused:
Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:59 (Ref:903559)   #14
006_007
Racer

006_007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Villeneuve...

Quote:
Originally posted by TeddyG
Villeneuve has only said that he refuses to be a pay driver. That's all. Obviously he realises that he can no longer command the salery he was once paid, I wouldn't rule out that he would drive for free if promised a decent drive.
Again I will state I would love to see him on the grid next year, however I do not want to get my hopes set too high and then face the disappointment!

TJ
Old 12 Mar 2004, 18:00 (Ref:903561)   #15
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
The intent of this thread is incredibly transparent and I do not see the point of it.
If you mean by discussing Villenuve's possible future, yes you have hit the nail on the head, congrats.

If you don't want to discuss this issue by all mean ignore the only Villeneuve thread on the board! It's easy.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 18:02 (Ref:903566)   #16
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
TG, no I'm not drunk. I'm just telling you that if noone needs a driver because he's useless. the "he did not officially announce retirement" doesn't interest anyone. Who the hell cares if JV wants another drive in F1? Unless he buys Minardi (and I surely want to see Minardi live, not being bought by JV/CP) hew WILL NOT EVER DRIVE A FORMULA 1 CAR.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 18:02 (Ref:903567)   #17
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Re: Re: Re: Villeneuve...

Quote:
Originally posted by 006_007
Again I will state I would love to see him on the grid next year, however I do not want to get my hopes set too high and then face the disappointment!

TJ
I know what you mean 006. I've been following JV since 1999 (the beginning of the horror) and have never seen anything positive go Jacques' way so I don't really expect it to this time. But there is still a chance and I think its worthy of discussion.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 18:03 (Ref:903568)   #18
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Your intent is to insight argument. Not to discuss possible future F1 drives, other drives in other series, JV's career, or his driving ability. It's purely about argument.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 18:06 (Ref:903573)   #19
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
TG, no I'm not drunk. I'm just telling you that if noone needs a driver because he's useless. the "he did not officially announce retirement" doesn't interest anyone. Who the hell cares if JV wants another drive in F1?
Okay see now you are just putting forth your opinion which of course is the whole purpose of the thread, more of which I hope is permitted when the shoe is on the other foot!

I feel that JV doesn't have a drive this year is not because he is useless but more because his departure at BAR happened at a time when most drives for 2004 were already locked up. However in 2005 most driver contracts are going to be up and we will see a lot of driver swapping, there is no reason to suspect that one of the teams might not seek out the ex-WDC.

Last edited by TeddyG; 12 Mar 2004 at 18:07.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 18:06 (Ref:903575)   #20
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Jhansen, please allow me to introduce teddyg to you. (psst, don't ever mention anything related to T-shirts, ok? )
Old 12 Mar 2004, 18:09 (Ref:903578)   #21
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
Your intent is to insight argument. Not to discuss possible future F1 drives, other drives in other series, JV's career, or his driving ability. It's purely about argument.
And what exactly wrong with argument? Provided it is done in a civilised manner? In fact isn't that the point of forums like ten-tenths? To allow people to discuss the issues? Do you belive that people should only agree with one another all the time? Doesn't sound like democracy to me.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 18:09 (Ref:903579)   #22
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Teddy G, JV is useless, ok? Noone wants him. The fact that he was fired (lemme rephrasze that : he was fired!) in september has nothing to do with it. He did not get a drive this year, he will not get one next one, he's belonging to "History forum". Live with it.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 18:11 (Ref:903582)   #23
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Jhansen, please allow me to introduce teddyg to you. (psst, don't ever mention anything related to T-shirts, ok? )
Great memory Red But it is still clear you never really read what I was trying to get at in that post. But let's not get into that again, I have moved on, but somebody still seems to be holding a grudge. Hmmm wonder why?
Old 12 Mar 2004, 18:12 (Ref:903583)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

The fact is, if somebody wanted Jacques for next year, he'd likely have been in a car this year. Which he isn't.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 18:14 (Ref:903588)   #25
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Teddy G, JV is useless, ok? Noone wants him. The fact that he was fired (lemme rephrasze that : he was fired!) in september has nothing to do with it. He did not get a drive this year, he will not get one next one, he's belonging to "History forum". Live with it.
Okay agian this is your opinion Red. Why am I not allowed to have my own opinion as well? Think about that for a second. What I am saying is that you cannot say especially with comments like Sauber's and Briatore's that there is a 0% chance of Villeneuve returning next year. This will only come until there is an official retirement from him. Until this happens we should be able to discuss his future. And all who don't want to can avoid the thread.

Also the thread should be allowed to die of its own accord not closed prematurely because moderators don't like the topic.
Closed Thread