Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 25 Jun 2002, 12:32 (Ref:321214)   #1
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
memories

whats your best memory from this years race?

i was walking the pitlane at 4am on sunday morning. in the terraces across from the panoz garage were a group of french nutters with some big panoz flags. radio le mans said they were local bar workers who'd come along after work in the dead of the night to support the team. they were waving their flags and shouting "panoz panoz" at the top of their voices. the over-worked and a little bemused panoz crew came out to look and were waving back to them.

the spirit of le mans?
Old 25 Jun 2002, 15:41 (Ref:321323)   #2
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Hey, nice souvenir, Kdr !

Mine are the meetings : FG before the race, and Ayse the D Day... I won't forget :
- with FG (+ old bat and ankle biters ), how my 6 years old daughter sitting with me in the front of the Museum recognized the Silver Scoob, saying "here they are, here they are !"
- with Ayse, how we waved when we see the other for the first time, and fell in each other arms, as old friends...

God, this place is SPECIAL, don't you think ?
Old 25 Jun 2002, 15:49 (Ref:321334)   #3
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
how my 6 years old daughter sitting with me in the front of the Museum recognized the Silver Scoob, saying "here they are, here they are !"
Clever Cleo! I'm impressed!

Looking forward to meeting up in the summer Fab!

FG
Old 25 Jun 2002, 16:05 (Ref:321343)   #4
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by FG1
Clever Cleo! I'm impressed!
Actually, I explained at Cleo that you had a grey (silver didn't speak a lot for her) car, and we were seeking each car arriving (not a lot at this hour), and she noticed the Scoob first... and she was right !

Quote:
Originally posted by FG1
Looking forward to meeting up in the summer Fab!
We're waiting for the G family too, FG ! And the summer is here with a glorious sunny day... horray !!!
Old 25 Jun 2002, 17:21 (Ref:321400)   #5
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most vivid memory - waking up at 1.00am to do my late night shift at Mulsanne P61 and hearing the Morgan's engine still purring(?) along. Not bad to say it wasn't expected to run much over an hour by some pundits.

Al.
Old 25 Jun 2002, 19:03 (Ref:321467)   #6
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bittersweet memory for me - the round of applause that greeted the WR as it staggered through Indianapolis, wagging its suspension behind it.
Old 25 Jun 2002, 19:33 (Ref:321489)   #7
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My first memory of Le Mans this year, turning the corner into car park blue and seeing all the tents and thinking finally I have got to Le Mans for the 1st time. Another one being stood across from MG, listen the RLM going mad when England scored the 1st, the 2nd oh and the 3rd. Another one being up a Tertre Rouge at around midnight, so to the car through there in the dark - fantastic a memory that will live with me for a long long time.
Old 25 Jun 2002, 20:08 (Ref:321509)   #8
stirlingmoss7
Rookie

stirlingmoss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My best Le Mans memory was years ago standing at the corner before the Mulsanne straight ( I think it was 1986?) at about 1 o'clock in the morning. This was before the chicanes on the straight. The very loud Mazda rotary engined car could be heard all the way down the long straight flat out until he lifted off at the other end! Amazing.
Old 25 Jun 2002, 21:48 (Ref:321595)   #9
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh and one last memory the MG girls.........................
Old 25 Jun 2002, 22:17 (Ref:321627)   #10
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me too it has to be the WR. The Radio Le Mans guys were breaking their little hearts about it as they were certain that not only would it lose the class win, but it would not be classified as finishing either. It now appears that it is classified as finishing but no-one knows why.

Also (if I'm allowed to count it as it wasn't strictly the race) the feeling of surprised delight when the Morgan did the 4:16 on Thursday night qualifying

FG
Old 25 Jun 2002, 22:42 (Ref:321656)   #11
Quattro
Rookie

Quattro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me...my first Le Mans, Lots of fantastic memories.

The build up and start of the race...Realising that i'm actually at the greatest sportcar race on the calander...The helicopter trip over the circuit...Tetre Rouge at midnight...Audi 1-2-3 at 4pm Sunday (Big Audi fan)

Can't wait till next year!
Old 26 Jun 2002, 00:44 (Ref:321708)   #12
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Quattro

The build up and start of the race...Realising that i'm actually at the greatest sportcar race on the calender...Can't wait 'til next year!

says it all!

Last edited by Osella; 26 Jun 2002 at 00:46.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 08:16 (Ref:321853)   #13
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
one could argue the greatest CAR race...
Old 26 Jun 2002, 11:44 (Ref:322013)   #14
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...

Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
one could argue the greatest CAR race...
Let's see : horses races ? Human races - with their feet, I mean... ? Sailing ? Bicycles ? Bikes ? Should be others, mmmm ?
Old 28 Jun 2002, 18:31 (Ref:323839)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab

- with Ayse, how we waved when we see the other for the first time, and fell in each other arms, as old friends...

God, this place is SPECIAL, don't you think ?

Without a doubt, meeting my pal and "Official French Correspondent" Fab in the Total grandstand on Saturday. I felt as though I've known you for such a long time, being one of my very first "correspondents" on my site in the early days of 2001.

Other than that, sneaking along from the Hunadieres restaurant at about 1.00 a.m. and watching through a gap I've never found before. I caught about 5 minutes on video - not much to see, except a few indistinct lights - but oh the sound!

Yes, it really is very special.
Old 28 Jun 2002, 22:30 (Ref:323972)   #16
Lawson Bant
Rookie

Lawson Bant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As my first visit, it has to be the build up and start of the race and actually thinking back to all the old films I've watched over the years and now the trememndous anticipation of actually being there.
Also at three o clock in the morning watching the pit lane and the solitary cars coming in for quick changes and just feeling part of the whole thing.
Old 1 Jul 2002, 07:39 (Ref:324903)   #17
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
As stated in another thread, wandering through overgrown fields, dodging gendarmes and marshalls (all those Nam films coming in handy!) and finding a place to watch the Mulsanne from. Like Ayse, the sound and very brief sight was fantastic; I still have the image in my head of the Spyker blasting past. It took me 4 years, but I feel I have 'done' Le Mans properly now.