Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 4 May 2004, 18:42 (Ref:960702)   #1
classic_racer
Rookie

classic_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roll hoop's

Im about to buy a historic formula junior and have just had a sit in it and the roll hoop is about 3inches below the top of my head.
Does anyone here (racers officials scrutineers marshals etc) know if I need to get it changed to take my hight or is there no need as it is a historic. I was watching the FIA histoic formula juniors at Donnington at the weekend and there seemed to be a few of them above the hoops but I couldnt get to talk to any officials as the gates were always locked when I went accross.
Thanks in advance
Old 4 May 2004, 18:43 (Ref:960705)   #2
classic_racer
Rookie

Oh and can this please stop here and not go to historic racing forum as I think people here might have more of an idea on the rules
Thanks
Old 4 May 2004, 18:55 (Ref:960718)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
If the rules state that it doesn't have to go above your head will that save your life if you did have the misfortune to roll it? I think I would make sure it is the regulation 5 cm above the top of my helmet purely on safety grounds.
Try Rule 1.5.3/4 page 238 blue book
Old 4 May 2004, 19:53 (Ref:960784)   #4
classic_racer
Rookie

Yes but does that relate to historic cars?? Historics are exempt from a lot of things and I am wondering if this is one of them as the car is original
Old 4 May 2004, 23:55 (Ref:961023)   #5
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Historics are ezxempt from lots of things, but please remember your head isn't.
Old 5 May 2004, 00:47 (Ref:961036)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Have to say I'm surprised at the question. I once changed an entire rollcage in a touring car because it was too low and I had a roof over my head!
Old 5 May 2004, 08:08 (Ref:961207)   #7
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever the regs say to race a car without adequate roll over protection is total folley. Safety was not a high priority in the early days of Formula 3. You are at risk just getting in the thing... don't roll and don't get 'T-boned.
Old 12 May 2004, 16:57 (Ref:968923)   #8
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Roll-over protection for historic racing cars is dependent on when the vehicle/formula was first raced and the MSA regulations in force at the time. Often different vehicles in the same race can have different rules apply and the whole issue is usually left to the series organisers and drivers to decide. The regulations for the particular race series you intend to compete in will usually specify the protection required, but if you race in more than one series the requirements may differ.
Not surprisingly, this leads to much confusion and I've noticed myself that scrutineers as some meetings simply leave the decision up to the driver - after all, in an accident it's his neck at risk. So at the end of the day, if you enter a race with a roll hoop 3" short of the top of your helment, legal or not you'll probably not get stopped for it unless someone else in your races challenges it, and that's unlikely unless there's a question about performance advantage because of it.
I can only ask you consider this: If, through no fault of your own, some idiot in your race clips a wheel on your car and you roll what happens? With a roll hoop 2" above your helmet you'll get a sore neck, some bruises, and a repair bill. With a roll hoop 3" short of your helmet you'll get a broken neck or worse, your family will be shattered the meeting will be cancelled, evereyone will go home upset and depressed... and club motorsport will be one step closer to being banned as too dangerous. Please do the sensible thing and live to enjoy your racing.
Old 14 May 2004, 06:40 (Ref:970549)   #9
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
whatever the regs say i would want to change it, the car wont be origonal but neither will your neck if you are unfortunate to roll the car, if you dont want to alter the hoop can you alter the seat to get you sitting lower?

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 14 May 2004, 14:44 (Ref:970987)   #10
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I race in a historic series where roll hoops are voluntary. I also post in the historic racing thread!! however the rule with BRDC Historic Sportscar series no hoop no belts ie if you are rolling you want to be thrown clear, now I would say that a hoop too small and belts is completely suicidal as you will get the worst of both worlds and would be better either taking it out and running no belts or putting one in that will work. A good friend of mine had his life saved at Brands Hatch last year by having a decent rollhoop, he barrell rolled 6 times down paddock hill. If you had seen that you would not think twice abiut raising the hoop. Your choice! but enjoy the FJ whatever you do, which model have you bought?
Old 16 May 2004, 17:16 (Ref:972657)   #11
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by simon drabble
..... however the rule with BRDC Historic Sportscar series no hoop no belts ie if you are rolling you want to be thrown clear.......
I'm amazed at that. I wonder if they have to wear leather helmets and a nice silk scarf flapping tantalisingly close to the back wheel!
Old 16 May 2004, 18:55 (Ref:972720)   #12
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Tracey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Advice from a marshal - change it! If nothing else, it saves getting black and oranged for the scrutineer to have a check as it will probably be called in by us lot as we wouldn't think it safe.

Cars = money, but life/mobility is priceless and can not be replaced. If I chose to put my car on a track, a roll hoop would be my first addition, even for a sprint where ther are classes that allow you to run without. Anything that can protect your head and prevent the devastation a head injury, no matter how minor, can cause is a wise investment - I know from learning the hard way!