Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Jun 2001, 14:16 (Ref:106154)   #1
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Surprise, surprise, surprise....

...A well seserved 1, 2, 3, nonetheles.
Old 17 Jun 2001, 14:21 (Ref:106155)   #2
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. Biela/Pirro/Kristensen Audi (LMP900 winner)
2. Capello/Aiello/Pescatori Audi
3. Wallace/Leitzinger/van de Poele Bentley (LMGTP winner)
4. Beretta/Wendlinger/Lamy Chrysler
5. Deletraz/Fabre/Gene ROC
6. Boullion/Bourdais/Redon Courage (LMP675 winner)
7. Babini/Drudi/Rosa Seikel Porsche (GT winner)
10. Fellows/Pruett/O'Connell Corvette (GTS winner)

Well done the Bentley boys!!!
Old 17 Jun 2001, 14:58 (Ref:106162)   #3
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, really big surprise (see predictions thread ). Still, to finish first, first you have to finish, so well done. Well done by Bentley too, though it was sad that the #7 Brundle car couldn't make it to the finish, they were much faster than the #8 car. I'm a little bit sad that the Pescarolo car with Bourdais ran into trouble, they were fighting for 3rd overall at the time.
Old 17 Jun 2001, 18:15 (Ref:106204)   #4
Larsen
Racer

Denmark
Northants, UK
Larsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The surprice package has to be Bentley, i think they need to give themselves a pat on their back for doing i well done job. No doubt that Bentley was the surprice of the Le Mans
Old 18 Jun 2001, 23:53 (Ref:106668)   #5
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have to say - the Bentley performance wasn't much of a surprise to me. Many components were tried and tested, the early testing form looked good, and the reliability seemed promising.

But that goes in no way to dissipate the sense of enormous pride and joy that I experienced when seeing number 8 cruising round on the final lap taking the flags and plaudits.

The surprise for me? Those extraordinary MG EX257 machines. For a significant chunk of the early evening they were the fastest cars on the track in any class. If they can get the reliability they will indeed be dangerous opponents for anyone.
Old 19 Jun 2001, 03:58 (Ref:106725)   #6
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought of you Tim when the Bentley's were going well, that must have been a very exciting experience seeing Brundle leading and the second car finishing.
Were the MG's problems water related as well?
Old 19 Jun 2001, 06:57 (Ref:106758)   #7
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year it was an Audi 1-2-3. This year a 1-2. next Year just a 1st?
Old 19 Jun 2001, 21:56 (Ref:107092)   #8
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Be real...

...it was one, two, three again this year.
Old 19 Jun 2001, 22:15 (Ref:107100)   #9
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The main MG problem was a cracked exhaust. Changing that on both cars cost them track position. A few bumps with the armco along the way did not help. Finally an oil leak that had to be patched as they were not allowed to weld it (43 ?)

I'm not sure of the final death knell of the cars, but by this time they had lost far to much time.

Hopefully they will be at LM in 2002. Hints were also dropped on RAdoi LM about another car that is on the drawing boards. Maybe ALMS / ELMS ??

Simon
Old 21 Jun 2001, 13:34 (Ref:107875)   #10
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The new MG referred to above, for those who haven't yet seen the announcement, is going to be a restyled Qvale Mangusta, to which the MG Co. has bought the rights.

A potential GT3 entrant?
Old 21 Jun 2001, 19:45 (Ref:108022)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am I missing something, or is Jimclark insisting that there was an AUDI 1-2-3 this year??? I was there and I could have sworn it was two Audis and a Bentley.
Old 21 Jun 2001, 20:15 (Ref:108030)   #12
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe he lost count of the Audis? It can happen to the best of us...

I remember one time when I was at a soccer match, I actually lost count of the goals! There weren't that many either. I left the arena thinking that my team had lost 2-3, but when I read the newspaper the following day, I actually found out that the result had been a draw, 2-2! There hadn't been any disallowed goals either, I had just lost count...

Maybe that's what's happened to Jimclark too, he thought he saw three Audis when there in fact was only two!
Old 21 Jun 2001, 21:55 (Ref:108062)   #13
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No, you're all wrong!
The first two cars were run by Joest, and the third by Team Bentley
Old 21 Jun 2001, 23:01 (Ref:108077)   #14
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"I was there and I could have sworn it was two Audis and a Bentley."

if it has an audi powerplant, i don't care what nameplate they slap on it, it's an audi
Old 22 Jun 2001, 08:20 (Ref:108168)   #15
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And Sauber F1 cars come from Maranello...

...or was it those nice red Fiats that Mr Schumacher likes so much?
Old 22 Jun 2001, 09:03 (Ref:108176)   #16
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
yelwoci should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One could argue that all three cars were made by VW and powered by Audi engines and the Bentley was based on an aborted Audi project.

IanC
Old 23 Jun 2001, 09:27 (Ref:108544)   #17
jimclark
Veteran

United States

Some just don't get it. Thank you Heeltoe....I see you do.

R, I'm afarid you don't. Exactly what was designed by Bentley?

Liz...you're just you.
Old 23 Jun 2001, 19:22 (Ref:108705)   #18
Daisy the cow
Rookie

Daisy the cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So bring on the Lister! Then we'll have a real car maker in the fray. I'm not sold on this "no really, we ARE a Bentley, truely.." rubbish. Bentley makes ocean liners like the QE2, but with wheels. Yes I know thy're fast in a straight line, but really, isnt it a little deperate? "Bentley" just went throgh the parts of everyone else. At least MG sell something shaped like a sportscar, even if they're generic by design, it gives their racing credibility.
Old 24 Jun 2001, 20:23 (Ref:109245)   #19
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The MGF? -thats not a sports car!!
I thought the Lola built 'MG's were very impressive- if they can get the reliability they need they'll storm it next year!- And yes it would be great to see a Lister/Jaguar at Le Mans again!

What's in a name?
Should we take the name of the engine builder, the engine designer, the chassis designer/builder, the main sponser or the team of people who pull the whole thing together and make it go?
:confused: