Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jun 2018, 08:37 (Ref:3832289)   #76
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Interesting that Honda have apparently said Toro Rosso will remain the factory works team, while Red Bull is a customer.

Old 21 Jun 2018, 08:45 (Ref:3832291)   #77
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Potsie’s view...

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 21 Jun 2018, 11:17 (Ref:3832305)   #78
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Interesting that Honda have apparently said Toro Rosso will remain the factory works team, while Red Bull is a customer.

Who had said that? Everything I've read in interviews with all parties made it closer to the Red Bull group is their customer and no one is the 'factory' team. Especially as Honda believes and seems to fully back everyone gets the same spec all the time rules. How much Ferrari and MB abide that particular rule is debatable and hotly debated, but it seems like Honda are on board.
Old 21 Jun 2018, 17:20 (Ref:3832360)   #79
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Well Red Bull mist have been planning this for some time, why else would they STR become more 'aligned' with mother in terms of next years design....

Clearly they want to ensure they don't get beaten by the junior team with one years more experience of installations etc etc!!
Old 22 Jun 2018, 19:29 (Ref:3832567)   #80
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I thought it was obvious Toro Rosso was a Honda test-bed for the 'mother' team Red Bull. They keep track of the progress Honda makes vs their own Renault unit and make a decision. Seems they like what they see. Toro Rosso is nowhere close to the level Red Bull is so it just seems like they know how much better they'd be with the same engine is not a loss compared to what they have now and what they see in store.
Old 22 Jun 2018, 21:58 (Ref:3832584)   #81
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Due to both an under performing engine and chassis during the McLaren/Honda period. It will be interesting to see what the 2019 version of this Honda power unit will do in a top chassis with experienced drivers. Very much looking forward to 2019.

Richard
Old 22 Jun 2018, 22:52 (Ref:3832586)   #82
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Due to both an under performing engine and chassis during the McLaren/Honda period. It will be interesting to see what the 2019 version of this Honda power unit will do in a top chassis with experienced drivers. Very much looking forward to 2019.

Richard
And what will Zak and company have to say about how Honda must have used McLaren to improve the engine design as their chassis is the bestest so there's no way Red Bull is that much faster now
Old 23 Jun 2018, 07:48 (Ref:3832613)   #83
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting to see Red Bull/Toro Rosso have taken a lot from McLaren over the last couple of years. Mobil and TAG Heuer sponsorship and now Honda
Old 23 Jun 2018, 10:03 (Ref:3832632)   #84
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Hey Red Bull, two Honda engine failures in two races.

Was that a "technical" based decision to sign with Honda you say?

Old 23 Jun 2018, 11:58 (Ref:3832647)   #85
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Interesting. Red Bull have not officially signed a contact with Honda. According to Masashi Yamamoto (General Manager, Honda Motor Sport Division), Red Bull and Honda have only verbally agreed to the supply of engines, but no contract has been signed as yet.

Could we see another Sauber/Honda type situation?

Old 23 Jun 2018, 12:53 (Ref:3832651)   #86
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Why the hatred on Honda? Did someone there fire you? Seems like grownups take their time to sign contracts and work out the language, they don't just announce something and then immediately sign on the line. There's likely bits and specifics to work out after the verbal agreement had been entered in to. Then the lawyers get to meet and make sure all the language meets both parties' needs and possibly work on the public comments section knowing Horner and company's willingness to talk.
Old 25 Jun 2018, 13:30 (Ref:3833016)   #87
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Honda test all the new bits in a Torro Rosso, and then send the ones that don't implode/explode/overheat to Red Bull?
Old 25 Jun 2018, 14:36 (Ref:3833030)   #88
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Makes perfect sense......
Old 25 Jun 2018, 14:55 (Ref:3833034)   #89
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Agreed, was pretty obvious Red bull would switch to honda
Old 25 Jun 2018, 15:00 (Ref:3833037)   #90
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
STR have become a test mule.
Old 25 Jun 2018, 15:59 (Ref:3833061)   #91
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
STR have become a test mule.
They've been a test mule for drivers for years - so why not the engines as well?
Old 25 Jun 2018, 17:06 (Ref:3833077)   #92
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
They've been a test mule for drivers for years - so why not the engines as well?
Makes a lot of sense.
Old 26 Jun 2018, 15:33 (Ref:3833205)   #93
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Interesting to see Red Bull/Toro Rosso have taken a lot from McLaren over the last couple of years. Mobil and TAG Heuer sponsorship and now Honda
that is an interesting thought!

plus add Newey (and Coulthard from several years back on that.

quite havent thought of it that way before.

must admit to being a bit down about the fates of Williams and Mclaren these days but after reading your post i immediately had a mental image of a vulture picking clean the carcuss of a once great team.

i guess this is very much F1 but still sad to think that is Mclaren's turn to be picked clean.
Old 27 Jun 2018, 00:08 (Ref:3833264)   #94
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Small improvements planned for 2018, but the focus is on 2019...

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...19-engine.html

Richard
Old 27 Jun 2018, 05:28 (Ref:3833271)   #95
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Ferdinand Piech buying Honda... What a novelty...
Old 27 Jun 2018, 10:58 (Ref:3833313)   #96
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
Ferdinand Piech buying Honda... What a novelty...
It is my understanding that Ferdinand Piech remains pretty much out of the picture with respect to being in the driving seat at VAG after his resignation three years ago. This is probably reinforced by the recent arrest of Audi CEO Rupert Stadler who was a Piech protege. Not to mention that Piech is 81 and probably not working on a comeback.

So while Honda is still a small fish in a big pond (for example they are dwarfed by country rival Toyota) and a potential acquisition target, I don’t see them being purchased by VAG anytime soon. VAG has other problems to deal with. And speaking of Honda ownership, actually I have no idea of what the current ownership of Honda looks like other than knowing they are independent of other manufacturers.

Richard
Old 28 Jun 2018, 08:25 (Ref:3833420)   #97
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Masashi Yamamoto: “Let’s say that Mercedes and Ferrari are very close but Mercedes is maybe a little bit ahead.

“Then Renault and Honda are very, very close, but let’s say in that category we would place ourselves in the fourth position.”

So Honda have the fourth best engine in F1, which has four engine manufacturers.

Old 28 Jun 2018, 10:42 (Ref:3833429)   #98
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Masashi Yamamoto: “Let’s say that Mercedes and Ferrari are very close but Mercedes is maybe a little bit ahead.

“Then Renault and Honda are very, very close, but let’s say in that category we would place ourselves in the fourth position.”

So Honda have the fourth best engine in F1, which has four engine manufacturers.
Are you saying that you agree with Yamamoto's assessment? Or that you are confused by it? I am not sure what you are indicating with the emoticon choice here?

If there are 4 engine manufacturers in F1, then one of them has to be fourth in any criteria. The question is, under what critieria is Yamamoto basing his assessment - 4th in terms of power, reliability, cost, or some other metric? You have added the qualifier 'best' to Yamomoto's statement without giving context.

It has been quite clear from your previous posts that you do not feel Honda are delivering a good product - if Honda had made claims to the contrary you would be berating them here also.

Regardless of how Honda describe their engine, I'm sure you would find some way to criticise their comments.....
Old 28 Jun 2018, 12:17 (Ref:3833436)   #99
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

A refreshing change to have a manufacturer admit they still have room for improvement in these McLaren-esque days of statements such as "we have the best chassis" (when we find our 2018 spec car) ...... when the car is such a feral dog it should be chained to the fence.
Old 28 Jun 2018, 12:46 (Ref:3833444)   #100
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
A refreshing change to have a manufacturer admit they still have room for improvement
I think Yamamoto's statement is following this advice: