Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Jan 2011, 14:22 (Ref:2818305)   #1
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ferrari's Marlboro sponsorship

Given all the cigarette advertising and sponsorship bans, can somebody explain how this is still allowed.

Ferrari extends its Marlboro sponsorship contract
Old 20 Jan 2011, 14:49 (Ref:2818330)   #2
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's allowed because it was never made illegal. The departure of the tobacco companies (Japan Tobacco aka Mild Seven, BAT aka Lucky Strike, Reemtsma aka West, and Phillip Morris aka Marlboro) was down to an agreement made between the parent companies, which Phillip Morris...chose not to stick to
Old 20 Jan 2011, 15:17 (Ref:2818346)   #3
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
It's allowed because it was never made illegal. The departure of the tobacco companies (Japan Tobacco aka Mild Seven, BAT aka Lucky Strike, Reemtsma aka West, and Phillip Morris aka Marlboro) was down to an agreement made between the parent companies, which Phillip Morris...chose not to stick to
Interesting and amazing... I didn't know that and I bet a lot others didn't either. Shame on Marlboro and Ferrari.
Old 20 Jan 2011, 17:09 (Ref:2818393)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Funny that it may be allowed, when, reading somewhere this morning, the Lotus team (Renault, not Fernandes) may not be allowed to race at Canada using the black and gold livery as it's (still) associated with JPS.
Old 20 Jan 2011, 18:03 (Ref:2818426)   #5
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
The various government bans were on advertising the product, not making it....

It amazes me that if the product is so toxic and against the public interest why it wasn't banned outright...

Too Hard? Yes it would have been too hard and no government would have the courage to do straight off. So they raised the taxes to discourage people from purchasing it...
F1 acknowledged the various national bans and eliminated advertisng on F1 cars...

My view is that the companies should be allowed to advertise unless the product is illegal to manufacture and sell..... To suggest they can't spend their money on sponsorship if thats what they want to do is ludicrous.
Old 20 Jan 2011, 18:18 (Ref:2818436)   #6
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
It amazes me that if the product is so toxic and against the public interest why it wasn't banned outright...
The various governments rely on the high taxation income cigarettes provide towards their budget. They need people to smoke. Its just those govts public profiles that says otherwise.

Should they be banned, cigarettes would still get to the smokers via the black market and the govt doesnt get to tax that. Not to mention the cost of policing a total ciggy ban.
Old 20 Jan 2011, 19:40 (Ref:2818480)   #7
davyboy
Veteran

The debate on banning cigarettes is a slightly different subject, but the ban on advertising them was clear. I had also understood that Formula One had outlawed sponsorship as well advertising... and it appears they did, but with the exception of Ferrari and Marlboro. That's the shameful thing.
Old 20 Jan 2011, 19:56 (Ref:2818488)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was under the impression that Marlboro (or Phillip Morris) bought the space on the car livery and were able to re-sell to other, non tobacco sponsors?
Old 20 Jan 2011, 20:37 (Ref:2818508)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Given all the cigarette advertising and sponsorship bans, can somebody explain how this is still allowed.

Ferrari extends its Marlboro sponsorship contract
What I want to know is how you are allowed to post such an immoral thread with a cigarette manufacture in the thread title.

Also, I would have to question your motives. Are you sponsored by Marlboro?
Old 20 Jan 2011, 22:22 (Ref:2818547)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's all very suspicious !
Old 20 Jan 2011, 23:29 (Ref:2818565)   #11
Oran Park Forever
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Oran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
The debate on banning cigarettes is a slightly different subject, but the ban on advertising them was clear. I had also understood that Formula One had outlawed sponsorship as well advertising... and it appears they did, but with the exception of Ferrari and Marlboro. That's the shameful thing.

Yeah it sounds as if Ferrari have been given some sort of 'secret agreement' with the F1 power brokers!............gee that's NEVER happened before!

Next thing we'll hear is Monaco apparently doesn't meet the safety requirements for F1 circuits!...........how long's their contract?....oh yeah, forever!

F1 needs both of the above, so they do as they please.
Old 21 Jan 2011, 00:33 (Ref:2818576)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am so upset right now.
Old 21 Jan 2011, 00:58 (Ref:2818581)   #13
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I am so upset I may just light up a fag!

I BELIEVE the ban was/is on adverts; in other words, branding on the car not corporate sponsorship.
Old 21 Jan 2011, 01:17 (Ref:2818583)   #14
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
The various governments rely on the high taxation income cigarettes provide towards their budget. They need people to smoke. Its just those govts public profiles that says otherwise.

Should they be banned, cigarettes would still get to the smokers via the black market and the govt doesnt get to tax that. Not to mention the cost of policing a total ciggy ban.
Yeah I understand all that....just taking up the position of the 'devils advocate'......
Old 21 Jan 2011, 06:59 (Ref:2818633)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Governments also need people to smoke as a form of population control, too many people stop smoking, they then stop dying of smoking related illnesses and before long we have an overcrowding problem!
Old 21 Jan 2011, 10:47 (Ref:2818709)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Governments also need people to smoke as a form of population control, too many people stop smoking, they then stop dying of smoking related illnesses and before long we have an overcrowding problem!
That plan is obviously not working. However, they're now trying to combat that problem with the introduction of blanket smog areas in many developing countries.
Old 21 Jan 2011, 20:22 (Ref:2818972)   #17
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
What I want to know is how you are allowed to post such an immoral thread with a cigarette manufacture in the thread title.
Because you let me
Old 21 Jan 2011, 20:35 (Ref:2818979)   #18
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Nail on the head etc etc.
Old 21 Jan 2011, 20:42 (Ref:2818983)   #19
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news, I'm all for tobacco advertising, if I want to smoke I dont need the goverment to tell me and nor will a car advertising the brand sway me. F1 fans have enough of an IQ to follow a similar train of thought.
Old 21 Jan 2011, 20:51 (Ref:2818991)   #20
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby View Post
Great news, I'm all for tobacco advertising, if I want to smoke I dont need the goverment to tell me
It appears I got things the wrong way around. I thought the government were telling us not to smoke
Old 22 Jan 2011, 02:54 (Ref:2819101)   #21
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
I say bring back cigarrette advertising/sponsorship that way teAms can afford to pick deserved(fast) drivers instead of relying on drivers(slow) to come up with the necessary funding.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 03:03 (Ref:2819107)   #22
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
We can say that Marlboro own the Ferrari race team or at least 70% of it. That's how they get away with it. They pay the drivers salaries etc. That's why the whole car is void of any sponsors because they own the space. Ferrari can't sell that space cause it is owned by them. Marlboro knows that the public know it's Marlboro without any mention of it. Sort of like JPS. No mention of the brand but we all know who it is.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 03:35 (Ref:2819108)   #23
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralta View Post
I say bring back cigarrette advertising/sponsorship that way teAms can afford to pick deserved(fast) drivers instead of relying on drivers(slow) to come up with the necessary funding.
Couldn't agree more!

The manufacturers and car would also be unable to force rubbish technology into F1, and the racing would become important once again.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 05:44 (Ref:2819120)   #24
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I realize that not every jurisdiction allows alcohol advertising, but I have always been surprised by the relatively low number of sponsors in the booze industry that have appeared in F1 in recent times. I know there are a couple (Diageo, Flagman Vodka) and some tangential ones (don''t tell me Kingfisher Airlines doesn't passively advertise Kingfisher beer) but it seems luxury spirits are under-represented. Grey*Goose Racing anyone? Patron had some success in that regard in the ALMS with Highcroft, a deal that is sadly no longer.

That or, as the world changes, every F1 team will end up being sponsored by companies marketing (probably crappy) pot...
Old 22 Jan 2011, 18:53 (Ref:2819279)   #25
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralta View Post

Renault are doing just that..