Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Nov 2013, 17:18 (Ref:3325976)   #1
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Valsecchi to race?

To cut a reasonably long story short, Kimi isn't happy with the current situation with Lotus, and says he is willing to skip the final few races of the season.

Will this give Valsecchi his chance to race in F1? Will he ruin the silly season? Or am I being a bit wishful...
Old 1 Nov 2013, 18:13 (Ref:3325988)   #2
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd like to see Valsecchi finish the season.
Doubt it will happen and if it does he'll be chucked straight in the deep end, but if Raikkonen isn't bothered then chuck the GP2 champion in.
Old 1 Nov 2013, 19:39 (Ref:3326024)   #3
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It wouldn't surprise me if the Raikkonen-Lotus relationship breaks down before the end of the year, giving Valsecchi an opportunity. I can't see him affecting the silly season though. Ultimately, for Lotus and teams of their ilk, there are better options. I don't think Valsecchi has a huge amount of sponsorship cash to secure himself a seat with a lower order team, irrespective of any potential results in the remainder of the season.
Old 1 Nov 2013, 20:30 (Ref:3326042)   #4
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Won't they get someone with a bit of cash? If they can't even pay their top driver, who else can't they pay? If Valsecchi has none then why both with him? You'd get someone with more experience in the hopes you can get 2nd in the constructors, which is still possible. A brand new rookie who hasn't raced anything in a year isn't the safe choice.

Poach Maldonado early? Maybe Barrichello could put in some consistent final 3 F1 races of his life, I bet he could raise the money. Or Kovalainen, he'd put in the drive of his lifetime.

I don't like bad payers and think it's disgusting Lotus haven't paid him a cent. I hope Kimi takes them straight to court on the Monday after the final round. BUT, I think if Kimi sits out the last 3 races, he's the biggest ****** in F1. That's worse than Pastor saying he might as well be sitting on the couch.
Old 1 Nov 2013, 20:59 (Ref:3326048)   #5
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
I don't like bad payers and think it's disgusting Lotus haven't paid him a cent. I hope Kimi takes them straight to court on the Monday after the final round. BUT, I think if Kimi sits out the last 3 races, he's the biggest ****** in F1. That's worse than Pastor saying he might as well be sitting on the couch.
Agreed. Bad payers are a damn nuisance to us all and if Lotus are in default to Kimi, then they fall into that category. That said, if they are currently in breach of Kimi's contract, then its a straightforward commercial matter for a man of his means to initiate legal procedings right now. If not, he should put up, shut up and just drive rather than carry on with this childish rubbish.
Old 1 Nov 2013, 21:03 (Ref:3326050)   #6
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
OMG! Kovalainen doing a Mika Salo would be so awesome! I know he underperformed in 2009, but dammit, he deserves a seat after all those years recovering in Lotus.
Old 1 Nov 2013, 21:14 (Ref:3326056)   #7
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
I'd like to see Valsecchi finish the season.
Me too. But I think despite the tightness of the relations between Lotus and Raikkonen, the situation is not that easy to happen.

Back in 1997 I desired Jean-Christophe Bouillon to race for Williams in the 1997 Japanese GP when it was stated that JV will not score points that race as a penalty, but Jacques raced then anyways.
Old 1 Nov 2013, 21:16 (Ref:3326058)   #8
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I really think anyone criticising Kimi should ask themselves what they would do if their employer hadn't paid them all year.

Kimi is doing Lotus an incredible favour by continuing to drive, even if his main motivation is simply that he enjoys it. Why should he 'put up or shut up' ? I don't understand why that would reflect better on him than what he has done?
Old 1 Nov 2013, 22:09 (Ref:3326081)   #9
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
I really think anyone criticising Kimi should ask themselves what they would do if their employer hadn't paid them all year.

Kimi is doing Lotus an incredible favour by continuing to drive, even if his main motivation is simply that he enjoys it. Why should he 'put up or shut up' ? I don't understand why that would reflect better on him than what he has done?
We don't actually know the details of his contract nor what commercial arrangement he's made with them, nor to what extent it has or has not been met.
If a breach has occurred, and hasn't been remedied, there is a proper way of dealing with the situation... and what's happening now is not it.
Old 1 Nov 2013, 22:21 (Ref:3326090)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Apply different standards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
We don't actually know the details of his contract nor what commercial arrangement he's made with them, nor to what extent it has or has not been met.
As we don't know the full details it's probably best we judge them harshly just in case.
Old 1 Nov 2013, 22:47 (Ref:3326106)   #11
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Apply different standards?

As we don't know the full details it's probably best we judge them harshly just in case.
Yes. It's always best to pass judgement before having all the facts. And that's a fact
Old 1 Nov 2013, 22:57 (Ref:3326111)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I see you've used the traditional Internet forum meaning of the word fact there
Old 1 Nov 2013, 23:22 (Ref:3326117)   #13
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It depends on what is going on and the root of the given problem. Are these legitimate business difficulties that is resulting in the failure to pay and if this is the case then I think Raikkonen does have a certain moral obligation to help the team make ends meet and this is done by nailing the best result he can in the constructors championship during the duration of his contract. But if there is monkey business going on then he is entitled to withdraw from the team in moral terms anyway. It maybe that Raikkonen will come to an agreement with the team not to race and there could be swaps like Villeneuve did a few years ago and Herbert did before his stint with Benetton. He'll probably see out the season where he is though.

I'm always uneasy with the kind of shadowy investment groups and the mini-Eccelstones that are owning these teams. It's always been an element of the sport of course but today the entire sport itself are owned such shadowy groups and it's not something that inspires too much confidence.
Old 1 Nov 2013, 23:29 (Ref:3326120)   #14
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
Back in 1997 I desired Jean-Christophe Bouillon to race for Williams in the 1997 Japanese GP when it was stated that JV will not score points that race as a penalty, but Jacques raced then anyways.
From memory, Villeneuve had previously been given a suspended one race ban in advance of the Japanese GP. For some indiscretion in practice (overtaking under yellow?), the one race ban kicked in. This was then appealed against, allowing Villeneuve into the race. Following the race, the appeal was withdrawn which meant that he was then disqualified.
Old 1 Nov 2013, 23:57 (Ref:3326130)   #15
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2013/...e-of-lotus-f1/

Joe Saward has an insightful article on this. In broad terms, the awkwardness of large, transatlantic currency transactions in the post 9/11 world has thrown a spanner in the Lotus works on a number of fronts. Kimi doesn't get his cash, Pastor gets the nod because the investment group the Hulk intended to ride in on can't seal the deal.

It's this type of stuff that brings down companies. They might have all they money they need on the books and arranged for but a failure to plan how long monies from various sources/sponsors/investors across the globe can be released to pay bills will cause fundamental problems.
Old 1 Nov 2013, 23:57 (Ref:3326131)   #16
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Also, why not let Heidfeld do those races, Boullier needs to pay him back for 2011 regarding giving respect!
Old 2 Nov 2013, 00:14 (Ref:3326134)   #17
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps because there are no Italian drivers in the grid. Valsecchi deserves a chance.
Old 2 Nov 2013, 00:36 (Ref:3326141)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
1) Lotus want as many constructors points as possible, which gives them more money to pay Kimi at the end of the year.

2) If Kimi refuses to race, i'm sure he'd be in breach of contract in some way and give Lotus an opportunity not to pay him.
Old 2 Nov 2013, 01:02 (Ref:3326149)   #19
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
2) If Kimi refuses to race, i'm sure he'd be in breach of contract in some way and give Lotus an opportunity not to pay him.
Given Lotus are already in breach by not paying him, if they tried that he'd rip them a new one in court.
Old 2 Nov 2013, 01:20 (Ref:3326156)   #20
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A guy on Twitter called @MonsieurF1 says he has a good source saying Abu Dhabi will be Raikkonen's last race and that Valsecchi will step in for Texas and Brazil.

I know I know, a guy on Twitter says he has a source, but occasionally it turns out they do have one
Old 2 Nov 2013, 10:27 (Ref:3326239)   #21
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But in fairness, Lotus replaced Grosjean with d'Ambrosio at Monza. This was Jerome d'Ambrosio who'd been fairly average in his GP2 stints and was plain hammered by teammate Timo Glock in his single F1 season at Marussia the previous season. Valsecchi was quicker than him in GP2 and has had longer time spent with the Lotus team and a development driver, etc. He could probably get some points out of the current Lotus, which we all think is 2nd to RBR in car performance currently.

But, then again, it all depends on who can pay what...
Old 2 Nov 2013, 10:31 (Ref:3326240)   #22
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Valsecchi's F1 test driver history:

2010 - HRT
2011 - Team Lotus (now Caterham)
2012 - Lotus (Enstone)
2013 - Lotus (Enstone)

He's been around the paddock for long enough...
Old 4 Nov 2013, 09:11 (Ref:3326903)   #23
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont want to get into the details of contracts that none of us have ever seen. But taking things on face value, it suits all parties for Kimi to sit out the last two GPs, therefore I think it will happen. Look at the benefits for each:

Kimi:
- Can maintain his moral high ground position of not racing for a team he alleges hasnt paid him.
- Can start working with Ferrari early - start feeding into the design process now, get to know the various people he will be working with earlier than anticipated.

Lotus:
- If they do owe money, they'll owe 2/19ths less if Kimi doesnt race - cost effective for them.
- They can let someone else pay for the seat for the final two races, bringing in additional revenue - again cost effective.

Both Parties:
- Ends what seems to be a difficult working relationship which probably has an adverse effect on both.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 09:20 (Ref:3326908)   #24
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Considering the Quantum deal is done and Kimi has said he'll be racing the last two races, I think Kimi will race the final 2 GPs.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 19:17 (Ref:3330046)   #25
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Now Valsecchi basically WILL replace Kimi at Austin, unless Lotus (or Quantum) can cut a deal to steal the Hulk from Sauber.