Old 26 Feb 2004, 15:01 (Ref:886347)   #26
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by chunterer
come on people that'll never be beat! Unless either Kimi or Alonso begin their quest with a first title this year!!
As much as I would actually *like* such a thing to happen, I think it's pretty unlikely. Seems like Formula 1 people are trying to get younger drivers into the sport and they can drive very good from time to time, yet, with so little pre-F1 races under their belt, they often make mistakes which should not be made if you're a real professional...so, I don't know. I always remember French GP 2002. It showed us how things really are.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 15:52 (Ref:886389)   #27
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Voted Schuey and Ross, but calling it a duo is absolutely not correct; jnfact whave to call it a trio, with Rory at the same level of importance.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 20:17 (Ref:886640)   #28
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You don't win 6 titles together for nothing! Schumi and Brawn for sure. Those who say 'it's only because his car is the best,' thats down to Brawn!
Old 26 Feb 2004, 20:38 (Ref:886667)   #29
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clark - Chapman
Stewart - Tyrrell
Senna - Dennis

with

Piquet - Murray
Ascari - Ferrari ( - Villoresi)

Brawn - Schumacher, too, but that as others said is perhaps Scumacher-Brawn-Byrne-Martinelli...
Old 27 Feb 2004, 02:53 (Ref:886936)   #30
DieRitter
Racer

Switzerland
Zürich, Switzerland
DieRitter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Piquet & Murray was sensational... as good as Clark Chapman imho.
Old 27 Feb 2004, 12:08 (Ref:887250)   #31
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Well, anyone who is old enough to remember Jim Clark and actually saw him racing would say that there will never be a better driver. I'm one of them. If he had lived, Schumacher would be breaking his records now (and probably from twice as many starts.
IMO, it's safe to assume that Clark would have won the WDC in 68, 70, 72 and 74 if he continued. In 74 he would only have been 36 and its safe to assume he would have stayed with Lotus. Lotus drivers won the titles in those years and Clark was clearly superior to Hill, Rindt and Fittipaldi. He may even have taken the fight closer (or even beaten) Stewart when he (Stewart) had good cars.
Therefore, I suspect that the Clark-Chapman partnership would have been worth at least 6 WDC's.
Old 27 Feb 2004, 12:50 (Ref:887289)   #32
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Your enthusiasm for Clark is top draw I am sure he would have won so much more. Overlapping his career with Stewart's (more so) would have been great fun. Of course the way F1 developed would have been different had Clark not died, but your reasoning is excellent, if if if if! (although Emmo was in a McLaren in '74).

Old 27 Feb 2004, 13:00 (Ref:887296)   #33
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about Dave Richards/JV, Ron Dennis/Our Nige or even Patrick Head/HH-F ???
Old 27 Feb 2004, 13:02 (Ref:887299)   #34
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by spearce
How about Dave Richards/JV, Ron Dennis/Our Nige or even Patrick Head/HH-F ???

I think they asked for best, not the terrible.
Old 27 Feb 2004, 15:33 (Ref:887424)   #35
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Brawn-Bryne-MS...is one of the greatest partnership. And Ferrari is the closest (stress..closest..not yet) to the IDEAL F1 team ever.
Old 27 Feb 2004, 16:24 (Ref:887463)   #36
hodsonaj
Rookie

hodsonaj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I am not only old enough to have seen Jim Clark racing, but also Stirling Moss how about Moss/Rob Walker. All that racing with never a contract in sight - only a handshake between gentlemen. Different times!
Tony Hodson
Old 27 Feb 2004, 17:09 (Ref:887511)   #37
santori
Racer

Yep, I'd agree with the Clark verdict, apart from the bit about Rindt who was - especially in his last two years - astonishingly fast.
Although apparently Clark was thinking of retirement at the time of his death.
Imagine a period of Clark-Rindt-Stewart. And, while we're about it, Amon who was ranked by many (not least Stewart and Rindt) as their equal.
Old 27 Feb 2004, 22:50 (Ref:887802)   #38
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Colin Chapman said once that he believed Clark would go on to 1970 at least...not sure what else Jim would do - he loved his racing so much.
In 74, the Lotus was as good as anything and I probably should have included 73.
Rindt was quick, sure, but in 1970 with a very good (probably best) car, he was getting a big hurry up from Jack Brabham who was about 45 at the time.
As for Chris, many people have a soft spot for him and he could sure drive, but putting him in the same class as Clark or Stewart is stretching it a loooong way.
Old 27 Feb 2004, 23:13 (Ref:887821)   #39
santori
Racer

Mmm, perhaps. Though Forghieri regarded him as the equal of Clark and he'd seen a lot of drivers.
I don't think Rindt's success can be put down to his car. (A great car but then so were the title winning cars of Clark and Stewart). Especially as the car only arrived late and was very unsorted.
Look at his speed in the 49 in 1969 and the early part of 1970 - and the way the new Lotus wasn't much of a contender for over a year after Rindt was removed from the equation.

Brabham was fantastic in 1970 (though Rindt had blitzed him as his team-mate in '68 and Jack would have retired had Jochen remained with the team. Not a reflection on Brabham's abilities, just that he was getting on as a driver) but I don't think that diminishes Jochen's abilities - Jack saw off Jackie Stewart as well.

Last edited by santori; 27 Feb 2004 at 23:15.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 00:18 (Ref:887852)   #40
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I voted for Stewart-Tyrrell, don't know a thing about it since it's well before my day but 3 titles with a young team must mean something?