Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 May 2020, 10:11 (Ref:3977670)   #421
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
I think there will be massive changes this year. You only have to read the various marshals forums and FB pages to see that many are retiring or at least not returning under the new rules. Marshals, organisers and competitors are generally more senior people and thus more vulnerable.
I've been involved in the sport since I was a kid and my parents were heavily involved so the past ten week is the longest that I've not done some sort of motorsport activity. Strangely I am not over bothered. Partly due to the good weather I've been very busy with other things. With no motorsport and holidays cancelled the bank balance is very healthy!
In what ever capacity I do events in, it's a social activity and that is killed with social distancing. I do the odd hill climb these days and the thought of being at a venue for 8 to 10 hours for four minutes track time and not being able to chat to fellow enthusiasts makes it pointless.

Everybody has their own reasons I suppose. For most of us, the social element is important - but I'd still go racing even with social distancing in place. We can still interact with our friends after all, just from a safe distance. Agreed it won't be quite the same, but the alternative is doing nothing isn't it?

I do think the situation re lack of marshals is more concerning though - we can't go racing without the orange army, social distancing or otherwise, so if a lot of them are thinking of throwing the towel in, then that could be a big problem for many meetings.

I remember a few years ago at one of our meetings at Oulton, a guy pitched up in the paddock next to us with his Seven on a trailer. He was on his own, unloaded his car, did his qualy followed by his race, after which he loaded up the car and disappeared! During the day, we never saw him speak to anyone, and we saw no one come over to speak to him, and as far as we could tell, he spent the entire day pretty much on his own - or, at least, as much as it's possible to be on your own in a crowded paddock.

Now, there's a guy who won't have a problem with social distancing!
Old 22 May 2020, 13:27 (Ref:3977692)   #422
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with Paul that a lack of marshals could well be the stumbling block.....

As he and I (and my race partner) compete in the same races we have become friends and we and our respective partners usually spend the evening pre-race enjoying a convivial meal at a local hostelry (despite Paul usually moaning about being squeezed into the load area of whichever vehicle I (as designated driver) have provided as transport to the pub ) - and that doesn't seem likely to be on any time soon - also of course until hotels are able to reopen it limits the circuits I can attend to those in a reasonable travelling distance.......

I'm also a little confused about the idea that pitstops should be lengthened by 30 seconds to "allow the vehicle to be sanitised" between drivers..... since we're all wearing gloves, and I'm not in the habit of licking the steering wheel, gear lever or other controls, I'm not entirely certain what we are protecting ourselves from.....I'm more concerned about getting belted in unaided
Old 22 May 2020, 13:39 (Ref:3977695)   #423
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I'm not in the habit of licking the steering wheel, gear lever or other controls, I'm not entirely certain what we are protecting ourselves from.....I'm more concerned about getting belted in unaided
Ha yes, you dont lick the controls??? C'on Richard, may be you're in need of new experiences, each driver having his own steering wheel and gear lever… And what about door to door racing between a LHD and a RHD car? At least you found a solution against "insane" driving!
More seriously I too think that marshaling could become "the" concern.
Old 22 May 2020, 17:28 (Ref:3977749)   #424
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!
I "suppose" the reason is virus could fly around in the car and get lodged on your balaclava then ingested. I can't think of anything else.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 22 May 2020, 17:37 (Ref:3977755)   #425
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Nothing personal Max but after Richard licking his steering wheel you suppose he's using edible balaclavas? What kind of racing are you referring to, please? Will you come and support some friends at Le Mans Bugatti? We need referees for the mandatory pit stops… Take pictures!
Old 22 May 2020, 18:13 (Ref:3977763)   #426
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
If you imagine to "sanitize" the car between two runs is it only for Gt's and Tintops or should we imagine something different for the convertibles?
Old 22 May 2020, 19:02 (Ref:3977776)   #427
justracing
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cross referencing somewhat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR2ndjTXS1Q
one make series with compulsory water changes
Old 22 May 2020, 19:08 (Ref:3977781)   #428
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
No fairing? Its a naked version…
Old 22 May 2020, 19:10 (Ref:3977783)   #429
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Health and safety might have something to say. Also need to make sure they follow protocool
Old 22 May 2020, 19:49 (Ref:3977789)   #430
Moneyseeker
Subscriber
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Health and safety might have something to say. Also need to make sure they follow protocool
Make sure you keep the plug in for better under tub aero....

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 22 May 2020, 23:30 (Ref:3977811)   #431
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd shower the driver with praise!

Is this what single-seater drivers are talking about when they say they need a new tub?

He certainly had a clean run up the hill... and he was surely bathing in applause on the way back down.

I could go on...
Old 23 May 2020, 05:43 (Ref:3977826)   #432
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!
I'm as baffled as you Gerard, just trying to get into the head of the powers that be here. But I can't.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 23 May 2020, 06:47 (Ref:3977828)   #433
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Yes Max we'll always find people with "ideas" when scientists are stil learning about this virus. Talking about rule of the thumb in this case is just showing ignorance.
Old 23 May 2020, 07:40 (Ref:3977835)   #434
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
This is where we need to listen to advice, we are slowly getting further. It's still a while till we get going again, but not too long hopefully