Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 16 Feb 2014, 20:01 (Ref:3369145)   #1
acadvent
Rookie

Scotland
Thetford, Norfolk
acadvent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Single Seater Track Days!

Having watched the progress of sports and saloon car racing numbers over the past few years it has been notable that classes such as the Production BMWs, Mark 2 Golfs, BMW Compact Cup and new series including the Track Day and Team Trophies have all been hugely successful.

In comparison it is a crying shame that, despite the best efforts of enthusiasts like James Beckett, clubs such as the HSCC, Castle Combe and the BRSCC, particularly in the North West, the Monoposto Club and many others the number of single seater racers still lag behind the tin top categories.

One reason for this must be the availability of circuit time for would be competitors to try and sample cars before they commit.

Open Pit Lane Track days have been a very easy and economic way for would be racers to find their way into the sport. Many of the participants of the Race Schools (Driving Experiences) that exist around the country are easily able to take a further tentative step towards the concept of competing in our sport by taking part in a Track Day.

These events have been hugely popular and whilst fulfilling the entry level for many to consider a future involvement in racing they have also been the opportunity for those with a car capable of taking to a circuit to shake the dust off and have a bit of fun.

All you have to do in this case is have a normal road driving licence, a crash helmet and get out on track! In the majority of cases the format is of an Open Pit Lane enabling you to get a decent amount of relaxed track time in a day without the burden of cramming everything into a thirty of forty minute testing slot.

Of course there are compromises; no lap timing or data logging, over taking on the left (right at Castle Combe!) and accepting that these are non competitive days.

These events have, undoubtedly been the open door for the growth in tin top and sports car racing so here’s an idea!!! Let’s do some Single Seater Track Days!!

For all of those with Sprint and Speed Licences who have single seater race cars, how do you shake your cars down, work on set up, get seat time to help driver development? I guess there are not too many test days for you guys?

I was struck by the enthusiasm and camaraderie of the VSCC competitors at Cadwell Park last year when a special Track Day was laid on for them the day before their race meeting to allow for the single seater element. This showed the validity of the concept.

Motorsport Courses at Colleges; this could be the chance to take students to another level and to get a further understanding of what they are working with. As importantly it gives the tutors and those involved with running courses the chance to understand the dynamics of a car they teaching about by actually being able to get out and drive them.

Race teams who would otherwise have to hire a circuit exclusively could now, perhaps, use a Track Day to entertain sponsors or a chance to reward staff and crew with a drive in a car.

I am sure that there are quite a few retired or semi retired would be drivers with single seat race cars locked away in garages, barns and stores who would actually like to get out and have a bit of fun with the cars but for whom the rigmarole of either obtaining a race licence or renewing has become the obstacle to track time?

I canvassed opinion at the Autosport Show and received a favourable response to this idea so now we have a provisional date of the 26th March 2014 at Snetterton on the 200 circuit arranged. Full details will be forthcoming in the next few days but if you are interested in taking part in this event please contact admin@adventmotorsport.co.uk

The format will be open pit lane, garages will be available within the track day fee for the first 24 cars entered.

A static noise test of 105db will apply and the day will run to traditional Track Day rules.

Snetterton Circuit have been very enthusiastic about the potential of this event. With a history of creating driving opportunities Snetterton of course formed the foundation for the Jim Russell Racing School.

The circuit has seen the start of a huge number of single seater racing careers. As the local circuit for Lotus, Van Diemen, Argo, Modus, Merlyn and many others it was natural for it to be the trial outing for many, Emerson Fittipaldi, Ayrton Senna, Damon Hill and of course Jonathan Palmer all probably tested here in their early careers which makes it fitting to use the circuit layout most closely allied to the original for this inaugural Single Seater Track Day!

I would really like to see you at Snetterton on the 26th March, please contact me for further details at admin@adventmotorsport.co.uk

Future dates will be dependent on the response now but I have been working on this and they will be confirmed on the 26th March!
Old 17 Feb 2014, 15:13 (Ref:3369358)   #2
Benny1664
Racer

Benny1664 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Posted by error and can't work out how to delete it! Doh!
Old 1 Mar 2014, 14:36 (Ref:3373639)   #3
Barry Pomfret
Racer

Barry Pomfret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds interesting, I would probably be up for this depending on cost.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 23:34 (Ref:3373812)   #4
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmmm..... I can see where you're coming from and it sounds like a good idea. Anything to get more people involved in the sport.

The only slight concern I have is that if the majority are racers shaking a car down or ex-racers with expired licenses just wanting to have another few laps (I'd love to!) then fine. If, however, you are putting complete single seater novices out on track at the same time then that might cause problems.

Hopefully not, but racing schools and the ARDS test do actually serve a purpose. Even the lowest of single seater formula cars are so much quicker and handle so differently from a road car that I wonder if there's not a reason this hasn't been tried before.

Anyway good luck.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 15:52 (Ref:3374427)   #5
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For those "up north" Liverpool Motor Club have single seater sessions at their Aintree Track Days. I've not been for quite a few years but they were always good value. They also have a few ARDS Instructors in attendance.

http://www.liverpoolmotorclub.com/tr...y-information/
Old 10 Mar 2014, 19:24 (Ref:3377162)   #6
acadvent
Rookie

Scotland
Thetford, Norfolk
acadvent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Single Seater Track Days

Thanks to all who showed interest in the idea of Track Days for Single Seaters, there were some really positive comments and some have contacted me directly for which many thanks.

Unfortunately we didn't manage to get enough of a head of steam for this to work at Snetterton, I think there may have been some initial qualms from the MSV organisation over the rules on whether they could hold a Track Day for these cars after all.

What did happen though is that people did start to ask questions and there has been interest from folk further north to the extent that Anglesey Circuit have decided to grasp the batten and are going to run a Single Seater Day on the 31st March where drivers with a road licence can take part.

I would have gone like a shot but am committed to be at a conventional Track Day at Snetterton on the 31st!!

There were a number of people who said that they were keen to have a go and Richard Peacock at Anglesey is very pro Formula Fords in particular and with an ARDS School is obviously well placed to help in that respect.

I am still keen to try and promote the idea of getting days like this going so that those who may have cars tucked away and let their race licences lapse may be tempted to dust off the cars and get enthused again.

Some of the interest, I think, in the Anglesey day is coming from people from other disciplines who have track experience but may be do not have race licences and want to get out and have a go which is exactly the situation that I had in mind.

I am sure that the day at Anglesey will be reasonably priced and of course it is a terrific circuit to explore in cars like this so it would be well worth finding out more details.

Annette Freeman is the point of contact for the day and she can be reached at the Anglesey Circuit Office.

I am really disappointed that we couldn't get things to gel at my home circuit, Snetterton, but maybe by badgering everyone we may ultimately succeed!!

I am sure that if one circuit starts doing these days and it builds up others will be bound to follow suit - Lets hope!!

Thanks for all your support and hope to see you all during the course of the season.
Old 19 Mar 2014, 14:25 (Ref:3381912)   #7
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there anywhere down south or midlands you can test/track day a single seater with only a road licence or expired MSA licence?

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final
Old 20 Mar 2014, 11:17 (Ref:3382213)   #8
Bundle
Rookie

Bundle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Single Seater Trackdays

I've run my open wheeler with Javelin Trackdays on their 'sprint format' days a couple of times - very helpful and used Snett 100 and Woodbridge airfield. Problem with woodbridge is the surface is poor and my uprights and radius rods got pebble dashed. Although I have a race licence, Javelin only require a car licence and a one day IOPD licence which costs £5 on the day from them.

Lydden apparently allow open wheelers on their track days but I'd rather not be on track with tin top track day heroes!

I'd be very open to anyone organising track days for open wheelers down south too - Snett/Brands etc, as I'm still a novice and I have to drive on the mirrors a lot to keep out of the way of fast and furious young men in F3 cars!