Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Apr 2020, 12:53 (Ref:3971679)   #176
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
OK, here's another one for you. Who can provide more detailed information about this special car I photographed at the 1986 British Grand Prix at Silverstone...
Attachment 59853
This one could be a bit tricky because the 1986 BGP was held at Brands Hatch!!!!
Old 19 Apr 2020, 13:11 (Ref:3971681)   #177
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is it the GKN built v8 engined car, the only one I can remember with the winglets on?
Old 19 Apr 2020, 13:49 (Ref:3971694)   #178
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
This one could be a bit tricky because the 1986 BGP was held at Brands Hatch!!!!
Sorry, typing error, should say 1983!
Quote:
Is it the GKN built v8 engined car, the only one I can remember with the winglets on?
You're too good rbs. Yes the GKN built car (the registration is a bit of a give-away!).
Old 19 Apr 2020, 14:29 (Ref:3971705)   #179
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Wasn't the reg no GKN 47 ? Could nor read it on your photo though. The Front Winglets gave it away. Wonder if it survies & where it is?
Old 19 Apr 2020, 15:08 (Ref:3971709)   #180
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Wasn't the reg no GKN 47 ? Could nor read it on your photo though. The Front Winglets gave it away. Wonder if it survies & where it is?
GKN 47 D to be precise. If you put the reg into a Google search you can learn a lot about the car.
Old 19 Apr 2020, 20:31 (Ref:3971743)   #181
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Been going through some of my downloads to pass some time . Came across this which I thought was amusing . [ Turn the volume up a bit ].

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy1BSLRuPYw
Old 20 Apr 2020, 05:28 (Ref:3971778)   #182
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Old 20 Apr 2020, 06:50 (Ref:3971782)   #183
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
One of the best reads recounting the bygone motor racing era in which Stirling participated, it relates some real eye openers of not only the race( the '57 Pescara GP) but the drivers and their antics:
The Last Road Race by Richard Williams
Transplanted from the Stirling Moss tribute forum.

Recommendations for further reading during our enforced solitary confinement might help us pass the time fruitfully, being of a certain age my tastes do not run to Lewis, or Seb.

When talking about the old days ('50's) you can not do better than obtaining 'Touch Wood' by Duncan Hamilton, I borrowed a copy from the local library in Barnet when I still lived at home, and I must have seemed keen as Dad read it and so did Mum, neither interested in motor sport.

I have both of Mike Hawthorn's books "Challenge Me The Race" and "Champion Year", once again full of anecdotes and in sights into the somewhat happy-go-lucky world of motor racing. Immensely entertaining reading. I have read a few more up-to-date biographies, but found they were all more like a dull record of races, lacking any humour, and clearly designed not to offend anyone.

Over to you lot.
Old 20 Apr 2020, 08:16 (Ref:3971791)   #184
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
More good reads are:- All Arms & Elbows, Archie & the Listers & Thunder in the Park.
Old 20 Apr 2020, 10:04 (Ref:3971805)   #185
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My two favourites in the bookcases are:

the unfair advantage by Mark Donohue (1975) &

Road Racer by Michael Dunlop (2017), coincidentally both are paperbacks, all be it the unfair advantage is 354 pages of A5!

Mickey D might be a biker, but it's a bloody good read & knowing him, I know they're his words not a Journo's.

Enjoy
Old 20 Apr 2020, 10:32 (Ref:3971809)   #186
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alf Francis:Racing Mechanic 1948 - 1958 gives a wonderful insight into the early years of motor racing as it recovered from the privations of the Second World War as well as the early years of Stirling Moss' Grand Prix career.
Old 20 Apr 2020, 18:50 (Ref:3971912)   #187
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just read this weeks Motoring News, apart from a good tribute to Stirling Moss, there's a really good 3 page piece about Ingliston.
I only went once and my memory is that it rained all the way there & back from Sussex and all the time there. The only good thing was the Paddock was under cover.
Oh and I was involved in a Start Line shunt and came off the worse for wear.
Old 21 Apr 2020, 08:16 (Ref:3971994)   #188
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Probably true
Attached Thumbnails
loch down.jpg  
Old 21 Apr 2020, 10:42 (Ref:3972012)   #189
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Probably true

Difficult to believe . Do you think she would actually know where she was ?
Old 21 Apr 2020, 12:00 (Ref:3972027)   #190
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
Alf Francis:Racing Mechanic 1948 - 1958 gives a wonderful insight into the early years of motor racing as it recovered from the privations of the Second World War as well as the early years of Stirling Moss' Grand Prix career.
My favorite book.
Old 21 Apr 2020, 13:04 (Ref:3972039)   #191
Tel 911S
Veteran

Looking out at the garden last night , caught this unusual picture .

https://ibb.co/Sc2zBWQ
Old 21 Apr 2020, 13:11 (Ref:3972042)   #192
Gravel Trap
Rookie

Gravel Trap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ingliston was a fabulous little circuit, very compact and very demanding. Being situated within the Royal Highland Show ground the facilities were very good, indeed I seem to recall that in an Autosport survey it was considered Britain's only 5 star circuit!!

For those of you with time on their hands I can recommend Iain Nicholson's website www.ingliston-circuit.co.uk to give you a flavour of what it was like.
Old 21 Apr 2020, 20:13 (Ref:3972116)   #193
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Looking out at the garden last night , caught this unusual picture .

https://ibb.co/Sc2zBWQ
As brilliant as that is Terry, it's nearly as old as you
Old 21 Apr 2020, 20:57 (Ref:3972119)   #194
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
As brilliant as that is Terry, it's nearly as old as you

Well , I have been going through my old downloads to find things that amuse me , & some of them have been on my computer for a long time .
Old 22 Apr 2020, 13:27 (Ref:3972216)   #195
bauble
Veteran

England
A new addition to the Isolated Fun album;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wSXnFbGsctc94eEL7
Old 22 Apr 2020, 13:52 (Ref:3972218)   #196
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
A new addition to the Isolated Fun album;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wSXnFbGsctc94eEL7
Brilliant.
Old 22 Apr 2020, 15:07 (Ref:3972230)   #197
Tel 911S
Veteran

Found these pictures in my downloads .
https://justpaste.it/2jv
Old 22 Apr 2020, 15:41 (Ref:3972233)   #198
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Enjoy.

IMG_3405.mov
Old 22 Apr 2020, 16:10 (Ref:3972240)   #199
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
EB, third image of the new addition… Any idea for a caption? Something like "if you dont help anymore I'll cut your head"! Ce que l'on appelle trancher dans le vif du sujet…
Old 22 Apr 2020, 18:02 (Ref:3972259)   #200
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
EB, third image of the new addition… Any idea for a caption? Something like "if you dont help anymore I'll cut your head"! Ce que l'on appelle trancher dans le vif du sujet…
"I'm surprised he has such a big chopper, considering how cold it is"