Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 8 Jan 2019, 17:58 (Ref:3874766)   #3401
Bobby_status
Racer

Bobby_status should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...mans-revealed/

Subaru has an engine for DPi, I remember back in 2013 Revolutionary Technologies United built a highly efficient racing engine for Le Mans Prototypes based on the Subaru FA20DIT engine. But I seen these so called "interested or evaluated" articles from manufactures in the past that never come to fruition.
Old 8 Jan 2019, 19:37 (Ref:3874792)   #3402
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Didn't they stop selling cars in the US a few years ago?
Yes. However, they are still the 11th largest automaker in the world by sales and 3rd largest in Japan(as of 2017). They also make what is by far the most preferred engine in SCCA FB, P1, and P2, and while they don't sell cars in the US anymore they are still VERY active in the US personal transportation market as one of the higher-volume motorcycle producers.

I don't think it's actually them(though at this time I don't think it's ANYONE), but it's interesting to note they're a bigger possibility than most realize. In Japan they actually outsell Nissan, Mazda, Subaru AND Mitsubishi - as does Daihatsu(though anyone who knows anything about Japan isn't THAT surprised by this).
Old 8 Jan 2019, 20:18 (Ref:3874798)   #3403
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
about suzuki; is absolutely mandatory for dpi to have 4 wheels?
Old 8 Jan 2019, 20:33 (Ref:3874800)   #3404
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Suzuki Swift DPi.
Old 8 Jan 2019, 20:37 (Ref:3874803)   #3405
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
about suzuki; is absolutely mandatory for dpi to have 4 wheels?

No worries on that part, I doubt Suzuki has fallen behind on their four-wheel game; They DO sell quads in the US, after all. :P
Old 8 Jan 2019, 20:49 (Ref:3874806)   #3406
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why not a suzuki escudo shaped dpi?

I don't mean escudo/vitara street model but this
Old 9 Jan 2019, 03:01 (Ref:3874864)   #3407
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
HPD not interested in providing customer cars at this time. Say there is no point until they can actually provide a winning product.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/e...ot-a-priority/
Old 9 Jan 2019, 03:27 (Ref:3874870)   #3408
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Hardly a surprise at this point with the season barely on its way. Ask 'm again in summertime and depending on their results until that point, it could be quite different (especially IF IMSA decides to kill off P2 for 2020 already).
Old 9 Jan 2019, 06:17 (Ref:3874884)   #3409
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
There's no incentive to sell dpi's. Only to GM (Cadillac). I bet there's more to it behind the scenes. Why is there's 6 Caddy's and only as many of the others combined? Imo, the other's have joined in on something that was planned by GM and IMSA. I would say they were the ones who created this idea and with Dallara, made a dpi car a long ways before the others. The Dallara lmp2 is probably based off the dpi instead of the other way around
Old 9 Jan 2019, 15:05 (Ref:3874963)   #3410
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
HPD not interested in providing customer cars at this time. Say there is no point until they can actually provide a winning product.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/e...ot-a-priority/
How much more winning could the car really get? It's a BoP class.
Old 9 Jan 2019, 15:23 (Ref:3874969)   #3411
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzeiTzei View Post
Well they have had problems finishing races, so that is probably a big part of it.
Old 9 Jan 2019, 20:17 (Ref:3875041)   #3412
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:

Joeb hit the nail on the head. BoP doesn't help you finish races, it only keep the competition close enough that nobody can easily run away with a race(in theory, anyway, we all know of IMSA's struggles with this).

You also still have to have a car with a sufficiently quick baseline speed. As Mazda learned in 2017, no amount of BoP will help you if you car just isn't capable of producing speed. No series is going to slow everyone else down by a ridiculous amount of speed because of one car that can't hit the minimal performance that should be expected.
Old 9 Jan 2019, 20:21 (Ref:3875043)   #3413
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
You have to make it adaptable and driveable. BoP balances speed, but won't balance how easy the car is to setup, how much the driver can really abuse it, how it changes to track changes, etc. They apparently feel that the car lacks in these areas.
Old 9 Jan 2019, 20:45 (Ref:3875048)   #3414
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
You have to make it adaptable and driveable. BoP balances speed, but won't balance how easy the car is to setup, how much the driver can really abuse it, how it changes to track changes, etc. They apparently feel that the car lacks in these areas.
another detail, ACO lmp2 have spec hardware/software electronics by cosworth, while in dpi manufacturers can use their h/s electronics...
don't think is f1 level stuff but maybe mazda and HPD don't want to share their secrets with other people....
Old 10 Jan 2019, 14:30 (Ref:3875272)   #3415
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
There's no incentive to sell dpi's. Only to GM (Cadillac). I bet there's more to it behind the scenes. Why is there's 6 Caddy's and only as many of the others combined? Imo, the other's have joined in on something that was planned by GM and IMSA. I would say they were the ones who created this idea and with Dallara, made a dpi car a long ways before the others. The Dallara lmp2 is probably based off the dpi instead of the other way around

You might say GM really started the concept with the Corvette DP.
Old 14 Jan 2019, 04:24 (Ref:3876031)   #3416
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Yes. However, they are still the 11th largest automaker in the world by sales and 3rd largest in Japan(as of 2017). They also make what is by far the most preferred engine in SCCA FB, P1, and P2, and while they don't sell cars in the US anymore they are still VERY active in the US personal transportation market as one of the higher-volume motorcycle producers.

I don't think it's actually them(though at this time I don't think it's ANYONE), but it's interesting to note they're a bigger possibility than most realize. In Japan they actually outsell Nissan, Mazda, Subaru AND Mitsubishi - as does Daihatsu(though anyone who knows anything about Japan isn't THAT surprised by this).
Bigger possibility? Really? Because they sell dirt bikes and scca and NASA motors in the us? Bigger possibility than Yamaha? The club racing business would make them a possibility to field a DPI? Looking forward to the ROI math on this one. Are they gonna bring back and badge the car a samurai? C'mon.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 14 Jan 2019, 11:51 (Ref:3876088)   #3417
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidder View Post
Bigger possibility?
Than most people realize. Nothing more.

Quote:
Bigger possibility than Yamaha?
Well, Yamaha doesn't make ANY cars- ...erm, any ROAD cars(I'm not sure if the R1DT should be classified as a car or a performance ATV, but it certainly isn't a ROADcar) anywhere in the world, so... yeah - if I seriously believed Suzuki was a possibility I would indeed consider them a bigger possibility than Yamaha simply because Suzuki has something to market.

It wouldn't make much sense since they have no cars to market in America, but there's still more for Suzuki to market via DPi than there would be for Yamaha.

Quote:
The club racing business would make them a possibility to field a DPI?
Not even remotely.

Quote:
Looking forward to the ROI math on this one.
There is no ROI. You see, you don't appear to have quite grasped the point of my post. I'm questioning if you even read it in it's entirety considering you quoted, and yet seem to have completely ignored, a rather important line in the post: "I don't think it's actually them(though at this time I don't think it's ANYONE)"

I never, at any point, seriously posited the notion that Suzuki was a legitimate possibility - I was pointing out the absurdity of making assumptions based on how little information was being given. The information is so incomplete that it could apply to companies where the very notion of them participating is ludicrous. The points I raised were all accurate summaries of how Suzuki, in theory, lines up with what little we know, but is obviously beyond unlikely.

I've been very cynical of these "evaluation" stories for a while now and for good reason. This was simply another expression of that cynicism.

It appears most other people realized that, as you're the only one who seems to have taken the comments seriously.
Old 14 Jan 2019, 12:08 (Ref:3876091)   #3418
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
It appears most other people realized that, as you're the only one who seems to have taken the comments seriously.
Nope, most of us just don't take anything you say seriously and thus ignored it. Nothing more, nothing less
Old 14 Jan 2019, 15:01 (Ref:3876109)   #3419
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 14 Jan 2019, 15:52 (Ref:3876112)   #3420
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
GM already makes a DPi and Geo was shut down long ago. Oh wait that was just a fun sell junk in America exercise wasn't it.
How many different names did that basic chassis, emphasis on basic, sell under?

Maybe they want to be different and make a 3 cylinder car?
Old 14 Jan 2019, 16:41 (Ref:3876118)   #3421
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Lots of room in the back for sandbags! Must be designed by Ford me thinks...
Old 16 Jan 2019, 03:36 (Ref:3876392)   #3422
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yamaha was an attempt at humor. Looking back, my response was a bit 'strong', sorry formula. Just thought Suzuki was pretty far out in left field. Carry on...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 25 Jan 2019, 02:58 (Ref:3878435)   #3423
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Ford DPi. I know this wasn't popular when S365 mentioned it earlier, but now Marshall has:

https://racer.com/2019/01/24/pruett-...h-anniversary/
Old 25 Jan 2019, 13:00 (Ref:3878528)   #3424
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Ford DPi. I know this wasn't popular when S365 mentioned it earlier, but now Marshall has:

https://racer.com/2019/01/24/pruett-...h-anniversary/
More than mentions it, clearly states they've been working on a car.

And he makes it sound like this is the final run for the C7Rs, but I think we all were on the same page that the C8 would be announced this season sometime.

Although I think the best story is can we call the Challenge series the Mishy instead of Conti. I like it and think I will call it that now
Old 25 Jan 2019, 15:42 (Ref:3878562)   #3425
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
More than mentions it, clearly states they've been working on a car.

And he makes it sound like this is the final run for the C7Rs, but I think we all were on the same page that the C8 would be announced this season sometime.

Although I think the best story is can we call the Challenge series the Mishy instead of Conti. I like it and think I will call it that now
Its been pretty well known that this is the last year for the C7R. The team has the C8R already in testing but will not race it until the street car is available to the public. Another reason for the C7R to continue is due to the way the new ACO homologation rules run now as they align with the WEC schedule and since LeMans runs twice this season they have to run the C7R again at LeMans this year but would be able to run the C8R in 2020. Wouldn't be surprised to see Corvette enter a 3rd car later this year to just test the C8R in prep for the full 2020 season.