Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 26 Sep 2020, 13:58 (Ref:4006399)   #2651
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I was also told that the last note on my account was that I had told them the problem had been fixed in March. They are immoral.
I wouldn't say immoral, they are modern. This is the way our world is going, cynical and wild. We are dinosaurs totally unable to understand what's happening. I can't believe what kind of fight it is to live normally as our parents did.
Old 26 Sep 2020, 16:45 (Ref:4006430)   #2652
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I use PlusNet which is part of BT. They're OK, there's an ongoing problem with the BT side of things which they're working through. I just cancelled the BT TV which kept the price down, and haven't noticed any change to my TV channels, which showed how few I used beforehand!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 26 Sep 2020, 17:57 (Ref:4006459)   #2653
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
For the rental of my box, plus a lot of uninteresting TV channels, fixed phone calls and mail box I pay c €40 per month and must stand a poor broadband. All the good channels like Netflix or Canal + are pay for view.
Old 27 Sep 2020, 11:05 (Ref:4006703)   #2654
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I use PlusNet which is part of BT. They're OK, there's an ongoing problem with the BT side of things which they're working through. I just cancelled the BT TV which kept the price down, and haven't noticed any change to my TV channels, which showed how few I used beforehand!

I keep thinking of cancelling the Virgin TV as virtually everything we watch is on Freeview, but I need to research Freeview play boxes as we use the TiVo recording and replay facility a lot......
Old 27 Sep 2020, 19:34 (Ref:4006958)   #2655
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another vote for Plusnet. Been with them for many years now. Get the benefits of being owned by BT but the contact centre is in the UK - for those very rare occasions when I've need their help.
Old 27 Sep 2020, 20:36 (Ref:4006985)   #2656
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Another vote for Plusnet. Been with them for many years now. Get the benefits of being owned by BT but the contact centre is in the UK - for those very rare occasions when I've need their help.
The BT call centre is normally in India and I have a few problems with the language, however the last time I phoned I spoke to someone from Scotland and that was just as bad
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 28 Sep 2020, 00:10 (Ref:4007047)   #2657
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was off contract with BT but having had a lightning strike a couple of months ago that caused a number of problems in our street due to the strike hitting the telephone cable poles, I've just arranged a new BT contract.

Mainly because they were threatening increased charges and the lightning strike had taken out the power supply for the hub and the landline functionality of our cordless phone answering machine base unit. I figured that if the power supply had blown there was some chance that the possibly slightly dodgy BT Hub5 installed some years ago might have been compromised. There was a deal, involving new landline charges, that retained the max local available Internet speeds, provided a new Smart Hub for a nominal delivery charge (but with BT retaining ownership of the hub) and offered a more useful Landline deal, all of which marginally reduce the price.

Basic BT sport is included but we never use it and Management has her full range of Freeview channels via a Humax recorder which we bought some years ago and seems to work well. BT TV not required.

Freeview now available over the internet as well but I doubt management would agree to running a cable from the hub to the TV.

I'll keep the old hub as a backup and return the power supply I used to replace the blown one to its original purpose as power for a disk drive.

The now limited landline calls (500 Anytime minutes a month) which we hardly use now includes calls to UK mobiles and of course no "setup" costs for less than the old out of contract price I have paid and which was retired from Sept 1st anyway.

We get the odd short glitch on the BB service, presumably because of engineering work somewhere locally, and at some peak times the speed can drop a bit for a short time. However, testing what is possible in quiet periods shows that the devices, connected via Wi-Fi, usually see around 65Mb download and a very consistent 18/19 Mb upload speed. In busy periods the upload is not much affected but the download can drop for short periods to about 25Mb.

Much depends in the server one is connecting to and the speed that it is set up to provide. Absolute speeds promoted by the service vendors are fine to talk about but the real world response is strongly influenced by the source (or target) servers and route the comms connection follows.

Virgin has cable running in the pavement around the Close and for years have pestered people to sign up for their service but judging by the Wi-Fi signals that can be seen locally most of the nearby houses seem to have BT. I suppose some may also have Virgin and/or Sky. Especially those who seek full sports coverage.

When I arranged the new contract deal I had a couple of questions for which I cold not find clear answers and following the suggested links on hte web site simply failed to allow be to place an order anyway. So I called them. A message suggested using the Chat function instead, so I did. Got straight through to a very helpful person probably somewhere in India or the sub-continent who was not enabled to view enough account details to deal with the order requirements but pointed me to a resource that could and everything was answered and explained quickly and effectively. Deal done just before the last BH. New hub shipped, as promised, on the first working day after the BH and arrived, as promised, the next day. The only thing that was not quite correct is the packaging of the hub. It's supposed to be of a size that will fit through a standard letterbox but no way would fit through ours.

I have yet to swap the hubs over. The existing hub still works and resetting the Wi-Fi extender which also server as the connection for a NAS device plus all of the mobile devices was something I didn't feel a need to rush into.

However, as it appear the Wi-Fi extender has developed a fault that means it is not connecting anyway the time may now be right to swap the hub, check whether the "most powerful hub ever" may make the extender obsolete and if not setup a new extender device I bought some time back to replace the existing one because it had developed a habit of locking up.

As usual with the technical things the threat of replacement and a visit to the dustbin seemed to cause the existing unit to improve its behaviour. On the principle of not changing something that is not obviously broken, I left things as they were. Seems like now is the time simply skip the diagnostics for the existing stuff and dive straight in to discover what the new kit has wrong with it!

My feeling is that with the standard BT BB speeds the connections are very adequate for my needs. Perhaps if we were downloading HD films several times a day I might come to a different conclusion but around here, in recent times since high speed broadband arrived a few years ago, things BT have generally worked pretty well. But we don't have BT TV. Maybe that makes a difference to perceptions.
Old 28 Sep 2020, 06:48 (Ref:4007071)   #2658
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Grant if you want to try Internet Freeview without a cable all round management's feet you can get a gizmo that uses the ring main. We have one and it's excellent and I think it's called a power line or similar.

Old 28 Sep 2020, 15:08 (Ref:4007198)   #2659
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I keep thinking of cancelling the Virgin TV as virtually everything we watch is on Freeview, but I need to research Freeview play boxes as we use the TiVo recording and replay facility a lot......
We have a HUMAX recorder attached to our smart TV. This will receive all Freeview channels and is capable of recording two different channels at the same time. It is a brilliant piece of kit and I'm sure it's capable of way more things than we use it for!
Old 28 Sep 2020, 15:24 (Ref:4007201)   #2660
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
We have a HUMAX recorder attached to our smart TV. This will receive all Freeview channels and is capable of recording two different channels at the same time. It is a brilliant piece of kit and I'm sure it's capable of way more things than we use it for!

One advantage of the Virgin Tivo box is that it will record up to 6 different programmes at the same time. It means that I rarely actually watch "live" television; most of what I watch is recorded, which means being able to fast forward through adverts, etc. and duff programmes can be binned easily.
Old 28 Sep 2020, 15:30 (Ref:4007204)   #2661
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Mrs Delta likes me to sit down and watch TV for an hour in the evenings. We watch Net Flex but I have had enough of these box sets seeing horrible murders and blood and guts of body's. I am looking forward to next batch of the "Crown" .
Back out in the garage tonight and will listen to the good old radio.Happy days.
Old 30 Sep 2020, 07:40 (Ref:4007520)   #2662
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A gentleman well known contributors to this thread has his photo in Motorsport News this week. OK, so it's in the Reader's Photos section, but they do say all publicity is good publicity !
Old 30 Sep 2020, 13:25 (Ref:4007562)   #2663
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
A gentleman well known contributors to this thread has his photo in Motorsport News this week. OK, so it's in the Reader's Photos section, but they do say all publicity is good publicity !
That rules me out!
Old 30 Sep 2020, 18:26 (Ref:4007660)   #2664
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Grant if you want to try Internet Freeview without a cable all round management's feet you can get a gizmo that uses the ring main. We have one and it's excellent and I think it's called a power line or similar.

Max,

Yep I bought one for a connection between the incoming router and a socket in my "office" but it was hopeless. Possibly because of the way the house was originally wired and the socket being on different floors.

Also it is a relatively large device that would probably be banned from the socket in the small hallway into which I would need to plug it. And the power supply for the Router. And the Vacuum cleaner when cleaning is demanded.

There is a battle there best avoided.

For normal use a Wi-Fi extended with a LAN socket seems to be OK most of the time but not sure I would want to add TV downloads to the Wi-Fi overhead on a regular use basis. Plus the original extender seems to have developed a fault after about 3 years. May be terminal.

Management tends to have an aversion to knowing that such things (cables in this case) are around whether visible or not. Proximity to feet is not necessary for rejection!
Old 30 Sep 2020, 18:32 (Ref:4007661)   #2665
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
One advantage of the Virgin Tivo box is that it will record up to 6 different programmes at the same time. It means that I rarely actually watch "live" television; most of what I watch is recorded, which means being able to fast forward through adverts, etc. and duff programmes can be binned easily.

An Viva mentioned the Humax can record 2 while watching either one or two others as I recall. I never use it so my memory is a little hazy on what it can achieve.

With so many channels now offering a "+1" feature (or even on-demand) clashes are rarely a problem and the level of repeats surely means that one can catch any program one may wish to watch.

Management makes full use of the investment in equipment and her time, or so it seems to me. I don't think she could find spare time to watch anything more.
Old 30 Sep 2020, 18:35 (Ref:4007663)   #2666
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Mrs Delta likes me to sit down and watch TV for an hour in the evenings. We watch Net Flex but I have had enough of these box sets seeing horrible murders and blood and guts of body's.
Hmm.

Yours watches all of those too does she?

I suspect mine is making notes and developing a plan for future execution.
Old 1 Oct 2020, 09:04 (Ref:4007750)   #2667
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Hmm.

Yours watches all of those too does she?

Sadly there is a pattern emerging here as Mrs V also appears to enjoy similar programmes...
Old 1 Oct 2020, 10:24 (Ref:4007762)   #2668
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
May be she's developing a new recipe for waffles?
Old 1 Oct 2020, 12:23 (Ref:4007779)   #2669
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Sadly there is a pattern emerging here as Mrs V also appears to enjoy similar programmes...
I thought I was alone in all this, my other half loves watching all these "blood n guts" A&E ambulance type programs, she is in charge of all the paperwork in the house including life insurance
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 1 Oct 2020, 13:31 (Ref:4007788)   #2670
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
My desert island disc films would be ,"High Noon " " back to the future "and "Le Mans".
In other news.
Name:  Delta Truck passed for another year..jpg
Views: 18
Size:  195.2 KB
Delta truck passed MOT>

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 2 Oct 2020 at 08:53. Reason: Picture
Old 1 Oct 2020, 13:32 (Ref:4007789)   #2671
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Bo--ocks.
Old 1 Oct 2020, 13:47 (Ref:4007791)   #2672
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was so excited it fell over!
Old 1 Oct 2020, 14:02 (Ref:4007794)   #2673
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

There seems to be a pattern developing w/r to those who watch certain types of TV program.

How about Quiz shows? Any addictions in that arena?
Old 1 Oct 2020, 14:04 (Ref:4007795)   #2674
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
My desert island disc films would be ,"High Noon " " back to the future "and "Le Mans".
In other news.
Attachment 64429
Delta truck passed MOT>

Correct orientation if one clicks to see the whole image.
Old 1 Oct 2020, 15:46 (Ref:4007809)   #2675
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Correct orientation if one clicks to see the whole image.
I always had doubts about Delta's orientation.