Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 15 Nov 2019, 14:15 (Ref:3940754)   #181
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We have only ourselves to blame for the print copy problem at Autosport. I was a habitual buyer from the 1950s until about 4/5 years ago when I took out a subscription to the web version. If people stop paying, or avoid paying then the product will disappear. It is up to the provider to make it viable under the pertaining market conditions and lumping the price up to 10.99 was never going to work, that was clear to anyone with a brain. I will continue to subscribe and consider it excellent value for money.

The same is true of high street shops if we buy everything on line the shops cannot continue. Landlords who recognise the problem and keep rents viable are less likely to have empty shops.

On reading in the shop; this annoys me intensely, there is a difference between opening a copy to check if it has a piece you want and deliberately going to the rack to read a magazine, that is premeditated theft. I do always buy the Christmas edition for things like the directory and hard copy of Demon Tweeks catalogue
Old 15 Nov 2019, 17:54 (Ref:3940802)   #182
orouge
Rookie

Scotland
Norfolk
orouge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I subscribe to Muttering Nudes and have done for years. It now seems to be owned/published by Autospurt. Is that going to cease to exist then? If so something needs to be done about it!!!
Old 17 Nov 2019, 11:08 (Ref:3941079)   #183
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

England
Mallory Park
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I worked in 'The Smoke' I always bought it on a Thursday morning @ Waterloo on the way to work, then had the do not disturb sign on my office door for an hour.

In the early 00's I moved into rural Leicestershire and straight away had problems finding a shop that sold it, eventually making the mistake of subscribing, and then waiting until Friday & often Monday for the Post Office to deign to deliver, I put up with that for a couple of years before going 'online'. Gave that up & now use clubs & the MUK site to keep up to date.
'Motorsport' is the only mag that I now subscribe to, well worth the money (and the wait)
Old 17 Nov 2019, 11:33 (Ref:3941085)   #184
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back in the day when I worked at Team Lotus I was the only who had a copy on Thursday morning, the office copy not arriving in the mail until Friday.

Colin Chapman got wise to this & used to sneak into the office & 'borrow' it. Then, regularly as clockwork, his secretary would return it at going-home time. Long before the days of digital copies, of course.
Old 17 Nov 2019, 20:54 (Ref:3941241)   #185
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Back in the day when I worked at Team Lotus I was the only who had a copy on Thursday morning, the office copy not arriving in the mail until Friday.

Colin Chapman got wise to this & used to sneak into the office & 'borrow' it. Then, regularly as clockwork, his secretary would return it at going-home time. Long before the days of digital copies, of course.

That's classic!
Old 19 Nov 2019, 09:57 (Ref:3941585)   #186
hoffman66
Rookie

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simply put, if the product is not doing enough to maintain a steady number of readers the price will go up, then it will die.

I say let it die, any time I look at it now it is poorly put together, has nothing of note to read and is largely a press release weekly.

it is over priced, under full and hopelessly out of touch with the modern world.

Habit is the only reason people really buy it, and believe me it's a very easy habit to kick, you really, really won't miss it.

And if you do stop, you will find yourself finding, better, easier to find news in several other places, and maybe broaden your horizons to other motorsport a little bit.
Old 19 Nov 2019, 11:57 (Ref:3941603)   #187
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffman66 View Post
Simply put, if the product is not doing enough to maintain a steady number of readers the price will go up, then it will die.

I say let it die, any time I look at it now it is poorly put together, has nothing of note to read and is largely a press release weekly.

it is over priced, under full and hopelessly out of touch with the modern world.

Habit is the only reason people really buy it, and believe me it's a very easy habit to kick, you really, really won't miss it.

And if you do stop, you will find yourself finding, better, easier to find news in several other places, and maybe broaden your horizons to other motorsport a little bit.
I certainly fell into the 'buying (well, subscribing in my case) out of habit for years. I eventually cancelled my subscription for the paper copy a couple of years ago but have retained a digital subscription for now, but do find I tend to look at that now less & less...