Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to the dark side Peter .
Old 21 Mar 2004, 20:42 (Ref:914261)   #52
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett

*Gawd, I can't believe I'm writing this*
Is there a FAINTS smiley anywhere
Old 21 Mar 2004, 20:43 (Ref:914262)   #53
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 21 Mar 2004, 20:45 (Ref:914265)   #54
ysofast
Racer

ysofast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not normally inclined to defend jpm but I would have been dissapointed knowing my car was close enuff to have a go but came in second. When his emotions lose there edge he will be the one to beat, assuming he doesn't lose his edge in skill at the same time.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 23:37 (Ref:914452)   #55
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Monty did a very good race, much like Monza (another he was critised for) he knew when to push, then when to cruise and collect.

Why push the car (especially when your team mate blew an engine) to close a gap (that was huge considering the laps remaining)? Then on top of that, he had to find a way around him.

It was'nt going to happen, he knew it, and did the smart thing. Thats what wins WDC.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 00:08 (Ref:914475)   #56
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not this year Wrex
Old 22 Mar 2004, 00:13 (Ref:914480)   #57
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Sure, cruise'n'collect, no problem with that. But don't whinge thereafter. That simply annoys and looks like poor sportsmanship.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 00:19 (Ref:914489)   #58
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Points do win prizes - JPM did the right thing not to make a hero's attempt at trying to catch TGF. He wouldn't have got past him anyway!

Good race - well done Jensen and BAR.

Last edited by Pitstop; 22 Mar 2004 at 00:22.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 00:37 (Ref:914509)   #59
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Well I did'nt see the complaining (must have missed it). Yes, if thats the case, fair enough.

Monty is just frustrated. In his mind (like all the others I suspect) he believes he is the best driver out there. It would be crushing to put in brilliant lap after brilliant lap and not close the gap (or worse, loose time).

He believes he is being beaten by another car, not another driver. Hope he never finds out the truth to that question.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 01:14 (Ref:914534)   #60
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An excellent race by each of the podium finishers. I'not sure that J.P. could have passed Michael even if Rubens didn't get in the way. We didn't get to see enough of how Jenson got his 3rd either.
The Macs appear to have some real problems. For Renault, their engine upgrades can't come soon enough. They were only revving 17-17,500 rpm.
Martin said on TV that Olivier gave the boys manning the telemetry seats the finger as he went by on his unplanned pit entrance, they weren't ready for him. Guess he knows he's gettin' too old for this game.

Since no one has any data regarding running at the Bahrain circuit, the top teams might be on more of an even footing coming up.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 08:50 (Ref:914756)   #61
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The most seriously troubled teams oput there apparently are Macs and Toyota; a huge budget is not a guarantee.

Particularly the Macs are having both performance and reliability problems; getting a turnaround is not gonna be an easy task.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 10:16 (Ref:914827)   #62
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
One note on the engines actually, we got a good hint of how hard Schu was pushing to keep JPM at bay. A few times the on screen display showed him pulling 19,500 rpm . Everyone was impressed when the BMW was just about pulling 19,000 at Monza with an engine that's only meant to last 2 hours, now these guys are surpassing that with an engine that's meant to last 3 days!
Old 22 Mar 2004, 10:17 (Ref:914830)   #63
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Wrex (thread title)
Sepang - Michael wins 72nd
A good victory by Michael and it struck me that 72 was a large number!

Last edited by Adam43; 22 Mar 2004 at 10:17.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 10:22 (Ref:914838)   #64
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
A few times the on screen display showed him pulling 19,500 rpm :eek
I'm not so sure that this value is real. Didn't we decide it was generated from a signal collected from a microphone? In which case it is dependent on many factors, not least the calibration.

However I'm sure the Ferrari motor is a good one. What was that old quote from Enzo? "You only buy the engine from Ferrari we just give you the rest to take it home" or something like that! (odd for a company that made the 250GTO!
Old 22 Mar 2004, 10:22 (Ref:914840)   #65
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:"we got a good hint of how hard Schu was pushing to keep JPM at bay."

Interesting.. i was just wondering to myself if Michael was not attempting a "domination race" like what he did in AGP (after seeing the many remarks of "another boring Ferrari win"), by just running and keeping a sufficient gap to JPM. He did seem to allow JPM to close up in the middle sector of each stint, but just open the gap when pit-stop time comes.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 10:26 (Ref:914842)   #66
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
I just say that because throughout the Aus race we bearly saw his rev counter hit 18,500, I'd imagine at 19,500 he'd have to be pushing the car pretty much to it's limit. Although I'm not saying JPM wasn't doing the same!
Old 22 Mar 2004, 10:50 (Ref:914867)   #67
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
by just running and keeping a sufficient gap to JPM. He did seem to allow JPM to close up in the middle sector of each stint, but just open the gap when pit-stop time comes.
I apologise if this has been said before. I think that was just the characteristics of the two different tyres they were running.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 10:50 (Ref:914868)   #68
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMo data about rev are to consolidate a bit, throughout some race; as Adam said, the reliability of such numbers is still to be confirmed.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 10:56 (Ref:914875)   #69
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex

He believes he is being beaten by another car, not another driver. Hope he never finds out the truth to that question.
hehehehe, until both him and Michael are in the same car, no one will ever know
Old 22 Mar 2004, 11:01 (Ref:914884)   #70
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Webber's race/the Jag - apart from the failing to get-away, the puncture and the speeding in the pit lane (!) Jaguar's problem is tat it eats it's rear tyres. This is what makes it such a good qualifying car, but the one lap performance grossly flatters the car. Same problem as last year - good quali car, crappy race car. jaguar have a lot of engineering problems to sort out and to me they do not look as if they are making much progress at all. The sooner Webber gets out the better, because that teamis a total waste of one of the top five talents on the grid.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 11:04 (Ref:914890)   #71
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
hehehehe, until both him and Michael are in the same car, no one will ever know
No mate, deep down we all know
Old 22 Mar 2004, 11:12 (Ref:914896)   #72
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
No mate, deep down we all know
Maybe you do, but then, your a Michael Fan
Old 22 Mar 2004, 12:21 (Ref:914965)   #73
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
72nd win but by the look of this photo it looks like his first - what character.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 12:29 (Ref:914975)   #74
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Yes, I was impressed - once again - by Schuey's sheer enthusiasm for winning. He loves motor racing, and I think displays like that demonstrate why he's unlikely to quit any time soon. He's still the best driver in the world, doing a job he loves, and doing it sublimely. Why would he stop?

Anyone think he'll make it to 100 wins?
Old 22 Mar 2004, 12:33 (Ref:914981)   #75
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
if he's not careful he'll break something.

Until a couple of years ago I was one of those who disliked his actions but respected his talent. He has certainly moved on from those days. (BTW I didn't ever think the "chop" was wrong) bur the one image that he maintains from those early days is the enthusiam. Can't fault him for that.