Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Feb 2021, 20:20 (Ref:4034567)   #376
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
fair question.

i guess this is where my n.american/other sports i watch/political beliefs slant comes into it for me because this practice is such common place over here.

in the NBA, for example, the trading of players between teams requires an exchange of a similar amount of assets (so everyone knows everyone's salary). this protects small market teams from just losing out to the big teams who can afford to pay more. add in revenue sharing and salary/budget caps and you start to get a framework for a more balanced distribution of talent and resources. all this requires the teams to be transparent with us the fans from whom they generate this revenue in the first place.

does it always work...of course not but the overall trajectory, imo, has been a greater number of team capable of winning. so a more successful sports league. naturally i want the same thing for F1.

i've taken a few stabs at this now...not sure i can answer it any better.
I get exactly where you’re coming from and don’t necessarily disagree with you :-)

I suppose there’s a massive difference...being from Europe Ummm used to seeing massive disparities in wages....take football for instance. How is it fair that someone can earn £200k a week, play against someone who earns £200 a week......

...a lot of that comes down to talent, marketing and success.

Unfair? Probably....both players do the same job, kick the same ball, play on the same pitch, but one is more successful and therefore is far more marketable....it’s all about return on investment.
Old 10 Feb 2021, 20:23 (Ref:4034568)   #377
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Drifting (slightly) off topic, but we regularly hear discussion about whether a driver would perform as well in a lesser car. Maybe the NFL-style franchise system would work for F1?

Each team has a place on the grid, and the numbers are fairly fixed. There is very little inclination that new teams are looking to join or leave, so why not run it in a franchise manner?
The personnel at each team consists of a common 'roster', and new entrants to the sport are 'drafted'. We'd then have teams faced with the question of whether they want to spend part of their cap on a driver like Hamilton, or a designer like Newey.
Would you want to risk a deal for a Russell, or settle for the experience of a Bottas?
Ummm karting, formula Ford, formula 3, formula 2....the best drivers win I equal cars then end up in the best teams in F1.

Even in draft sports, teams have their stars.

You can’t tell me that Brady, Mahomes, Crosby, Ovechkin get paid the same as a 4th liner....just like in F1, there are stars, and there are the others.

Let’s not forget the effort put in to get to the top.

It’s no fluke that Hamilton beat Alonso in his rookie year....he got there on talent... sometimes I think people forget that.
Old 10 Feb 2021, 20:42 (Ref:4034570)   #378
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Ummm karting, formula Ford, formula 3, formula 2....the best drivers win I equal cars then end up in the best teams in F1.

Even in draft sports, teams have their stars.

You can’t tell me that Brady, Mahomes, Crosby, Ovechkin get paid the same as a 4th liner....just like in F1, there are stars, and there are the others.
Which is similar to NFL.
Players go through school, college then get drafted into the main league. Once there, the best establish themselves and then earn huge contracts.
If you compare Mahomes with Brady - KC were happy to build their roster around him, sacrificing some of their cap elsewhere. Whereas NE reached the point that they didn't want to make that sacrifice for Brady, so released him.
You could compare that with Verstappen and Hamilton. RBR may want to pay big for MV, and utilise free agents elsewhere on the roster or draft picks. Mercedes on the other hand may opt for a more balanced roster, and release LH.
You'd then have other teams deciding on if they want to make an offer to LH, or feel he is too expensive. The best drivers will always get the biggest contracts, but you may also see teams taking a punt on a driver.
Old 11 Feb 2021, 16:51 (Ref:4034703)   #379
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Drivers' salary caps have been written about on this and other threads, and they were also discussed at today's Commission meeting, but no decision was taken as yet. Along with the matter of the proposed sprint races, it will be talked about again at further meetings.
Old 11 Feb 2021, 17:56 (Ref:4034711)   #380
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Like everyone else I'm sure, I can't wait........
Old 3 Jul 2021, 08:54 (Ref:4059503)   #381
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lewis Hamilton has signed a new two-year deal with Mercedes until the end of 2023

'It is the earliest he has agreed a new deal with Mercedes for some years and will take his time at the team to at least 11 seasons and into the start of a major rules change next year.

The deal has come together quickly, in contrast to 2020, when the pandemic, a compressed season and then both Hamilton and team boss Toto Wolff contracting coronavirus delayed talks and Hamilton ended the year out of contract.'
Old 3 Jul 2021, 09:08 (Ref:4059505)   #382
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, just saw this..... That's another 500 posts on the subject of 'will he, won't he?' avoided!
Old 3 Jul 2021, 09:25 (Ref:4059514)   #383
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah, but another 5000 posts of how boring F1 is because he keeps winning
Old 3 Jul 2021, 10:03 (Ref:4059519)   #384
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
so who gets 2nd seat?

1 way of looking at it Lewis would prefer Bottas, because he wont make waves or cause lewis problems. why break a good team?

2 Put Russell in now so he can learn and be polished up to take the reigns in 2 years when Cerlewis does retire.

3 Theres always a wild card in Mazapine
Old 3 Jul 2021, 10:03 (Ref:4059520)   #385
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Well, that could depend on Max.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
so who gets 2nd seat?

1 way of looking at it Lewis would prefer Bottas, because he wont make waves or cause lewis problems. why break a good team?

2 Put Russell in now so he can learn and be polished up to take the reigns in 2 years when Cerlewis does retire.

3 Theres always a wild card in Mazapine.... just kidding
I vote for #2.
Old 3 Jul 2021, 10:24 (Ref:4059522)   #386
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post

The redbull baron has meant that this year hasnt been boring.
Old 3 Jul 2021, 11:15 (Ref:4059531)   #387
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The redbull baron has meant that this year hasnt been boring.
More power to his elbow.

(I was being somewhat facetious)
Old 3 Jul 2021, 12:18 (Ref:4059544)   #388
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good news but as usual i would like to know the terms of the deal.

Whatever happened with the driver salary cap proposed rule? Is LH's contract in before that comes into effect?

Who number 2 will be is a big question but what is Toto's status now? Assume he will be staying on in his current role?
Old 3 Jul 2021, 13:31 (Ref:4059565)   #389
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Good news but as usual i would like to know the terms of the deal.

Whatever happened with the driver salary cap proposed rule? Is LH's contract in before that comes into effect?

Who number 2 will be is a big question but what is Toto's status now? Assume he will be staying on in his current role?
All good questions. The BBC article says:

'[Hamilton] began discussing the terms of his new contract with Wolff in May. The pair completed a deal within two months, underlining their desire to keep working together. Hamilton has not taken a pay cut, contrary to some reports. After an adjustment in salary as a result of the pandemic this season, his earnings will be back to pre-Covid levels, when he was said to be earning as much as £40m a year.'

Quote:
so who gets 2nd seat?

3 Theres always a wild card in Mazapine
It seems like a performance-based comparison between GR and VB over the rest of the season:

'Wolff said he wanted to spend a bit more time observing the two drivers in F1 this season before making a final call.'
Old 3 Jul 2021, 14:15 (Ref:4059576)   #390
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Surely the more he watches the more complicated his decision will be.

Lando and Rus growing massively with each session but that growth wont last forever. It needs to be harnessed within a quality seat imo.

Not that McLaren isnt a quality seat...no way they are going to let him go.
Old 3 Jul 2021, 14:51 (Ref:4059597)   #391
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
norris russell mercedes superteam in 24?
Old 4 Jul 2021, 06:27 (Ref:4059660)   #392
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Merc can now focus on the rest of the year. They said they couldn't have a distraction like contract talks in the middle of a tough championship battle.

Now just have to see who gets the second seat. Will Bottas stay or will Russell or Norris get a chance? Or could they try and take Perez from Red Bull

Of course just because Lewis is signed till 2023 doesn't mean he will see out that contract, but we'll see
Old 4 Jul 2021, 07:13 (Ref:4059662)   #393
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Or could they try and take Perez from Red Bull
Why would they do that?
Old 4 Jul 2021, 07:52 (Ref:4059664)   #394
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
why would perez go?
the redbull is now a match for mercs
whats the gain from being max #2 to being lewis #2

i cant see redbull dropping perez at end of year he has been the number 2 they have looked for for years. done great so far
Old 4 Jul 2021, 08:09 (Ref:4059666)   #395
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
I am certain people are planted on ten tenths that have the job of winding others up by posting nonsense thoughts!
Works.
Old 4 Jul 2021, 08:26 (Ref:4059668)   #396
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
I am certain people are planted on ten tenths that have the job of winding others up by posting nonsense thoughts!
Works.
Old 4 Jul 2021, 09:01 (Ref:4059676)   #397
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I see Lewis is celebrating with a new shirt made out of old curtains!
Old 4 Jul 2021, 11:43 (Ref:4059698)   #398
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
I see Lewis is celebrating with a new shirt made out of old curtains!
Lol.

Is that a Sound of Music joke/reference?

they are in Austria after all.
Old 5 Jul 2021, 09:24 (Ref:4059912)   #399
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Why would they do that?
Because he's proving a very good number two, more so than Bottas
Old 5 Jul 2021, 12:18 (Ref:4059930)   #400
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Not much in it, really. Certainly no reason to swap Checo for Bottas. Much more sensible to get George in the second car.