Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 1 Mar 2021, 10:58 (Ref:4037576)   #2416
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!
Thanks for the update Graham and all the best for the new season.
Trust Mrs 911HC is back firing on all cylinders and slotted back into her Management functions.
Cheers,
Chris
Old 1 Mar 2021, 12:55 (Ref:4037610)   #2417
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks Chris, she is back on all '6 cylinders of 6' and firmly back in the role of Full Time Financial Director.
A new front door is sitting top of the pile atm so I have to bide my time.

Need a pool of cash, about £1500 for the next (ignition) stage, so will tempt her by selling a motorbike (of sorts) as below!
An old 'resurrection' project.

Old 1 Mar 2021, 13:20 (Ref:4037615)   #2418
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!
Great news about the Boss, Graham. My daughter in law has Stage 4 cancer that they found in her liver and bowels, but which they cannot determine which type it is, and she was given a prognosis of 6 months. However, that was nearly 7 years ago (next month), and to look at her you wouldn't think there was anything wrong with her - she went skiing in America just last year when one of my sons' friends lent them their chalet/cabin in the mountains for a couple of weeks.
Old 1 Mar 2021, 13:41 (Ref:4037619)   #2419
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Glad it’s all going well Graham

Mike, hope your daughter continues to do be able to do the things she wants to do, must be hard for all of you, but that’s good she’s survived all those years, despite the doctor’s original prognosis. All the best to you, her and the family
Old 1 Mar 2021, 15:48 (Ref:4037663)   #2420
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Best bit about stepping the 3.2 engine up a few notches is it will not loose any value as these engines are rare now, worn out sheds are £5K, rebuild costs are £10K if you go the whole hog.

These engines are quite stressed when new in 1986, 240 bhp from 3.2 litres, 75bhp/litre, I have a stock one in my old 911 (my hillclimb car) that has done 140K miles, 80K with me and 14 years of thrashing on the hills.
Never been apart, but has had a full 13 litre oil change every year for 26 years no matter the miles between.

Similarly the gearbox, doubled in value and now very rare with a magnesium case.

Or does this sound like Man Maths?

The engine will need:
high comp forged pistons, forged rods, new cams, titanium spring retainers,
ARP hardware, all the usual bearings etc.

My oldest friend is just recovering (middle of radiotherapy) for cancer of the tongue! A nasty thing to be part of.

This thread has always surprised me, all this time, all the chassis number adventures and then all the ups n downs of running it, 2 crashes, suspension collapse, 2 gearbox rebuilds, one engine explosion, all my own self doubts, but just one great little car.
Pleased it has given some enjoyment back.

Started in August 2007, 2419 replies and a staggering 685,733 hits.

2 weeks ago the only other Kelly Girl Green T490/2 was for sale on ebay, modified to a road car, the famous (ish) Kelly girl car driven by Tiff Needell no less and others. Sold for 15.5K in 30 mins, AND it has a Porsche flat 6 in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have 'spoken' to the ex owner.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lola-Pors...p2047675.l2557

Last edited by 911thillclimber; 1 Mar 2021 at 16:00.
Old 4 Mar 2021, 09:59 (Ref:4038557)   #2421
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What a nice antique moped you have, Graham! What is the small tank behind the front lamp for? Acetylene or two-stroke oil?
Old 4 Mar 2021, 13:39 (Ref:4038604)   #2422
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Nothing beats pedal power! The tank is probably the water supply to keep that energy going
Old 4 Mar 2021, 16:54 (Ref:4038695)   #2423
911thillclimber
Veteran

It is a pretty old thing, but really awkward to use. It is a product of it's time, 1952, made when I was born...
It does work, 50cc of about 2 bhp madness, 20/25 mph flat out.

Rare bike even in France.
The lamp on the front guard is a period cycle lamp, battery powered, but I've converted it to flashing LED from a modern push bike, similar approach on the rear.

The long tank in the frame is for 2 stroke fuel.
Not worth a lot, about £800, and only attractive to a very very very narrow market!
If the engine fails/out of fuel, you can pedal home like a normal cycle.

It was interesting to do a few years back. small light 2 wheeled things are good fun.
Old 4 Mar 2021, 18:22 (Ref:4038720)   #2424
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!
My late father had.one in the mid 1950s. For a bet he rode one from his home near Cirencester across the Cotswolds to his apprenticeship in Birmingham. Very hilly route if anyone knows the Fosse Way.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 8 Mar 2021, 15:55 (Ref:4039677)   #2425
911thillclimber
Veteran

Looks like the car is heading for the local rolling road soon.
Removing the points, adding some technology and a few tweeks will sharpen the Lola.
Fatter stronger sparks at high rpm and a bit more.

Guy who will do the work coming to see the car to take away the dist for modification this week.
Looks like a normal year will be on the table, but initially without spectators until after June.
Old 11 Mar 2021, 09:05 (Ref:4039782)   #2426
911thillclimber
Veteran

Some things are never simple are they, esp in this world of motorsport.

Ben of BHP came to see the car and spoke sensibly about the changes which I have agreed to.
He has taken the dist and the leads to convert to points-less ignition with a punch.
Ignition to be set on the rollers, carbs too. He is happy to deal with the carbs.

However, he asked about the tyres on the back and was worried about wrecking them on the rollers....

Seems he is dead right.
Thus, I now have to find 2 scrap slicks to replace the good rears on the car.
Easier said than done, but I hope BMTR who are sort of close can help without silly expense.

2 new rear tyres are £600.

If this fails I'll surrender, fit the ignition and call it a day!
Old 11 Mar 2021, 09:38 (Ref:4039788)   #2427
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
Some things are never simple are they, esp in this world of motorsport.

Ben of BHP came to see the car and spoke sensibly about the changes which I have agreed to.
He has taken the dist and the leads to convert to points-less ignition with a punch.
Ignition to be set on the rollers, carbs too. He is happy to deal with the carbs.

However, he asked about the tyres on the back and was worried about wrecking them on the rollers....

Seems he is dead right.
Thus, I now have to find 2 scrap slicks to replace the good rears on the car.
Easier said than done, but I hope BMTR who are sort of close can help without silly expense.

2 new rear tyres are £600.

If this fails I'll surrender, fit the ignition and call it a day!
What size are the tyres? And what else normally runs on them? Maybe someone in the circuit single seater or historic sports car world can help with a pair of rear slicks - Monoposto, Historic F2, Historic Group 6 etc etc?
Old 11 Mar 2021, 10:45 (Ref:4039796)   #2428
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure many of us on here have contacts using slicks. As Andy says if you give us the tyre size you need someone probably can help.
Old 11 Mar 2021, 11:43 (Ref:4039807)   #2429
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In a certain way, fine tuning the carbs cannot be fully done on the rollers. We experienced this more than once with this air-cooled engine but in a 911 body only which differs from a proto. If my memory serves, we have only one Hema Porsche in the area. Proof in the pudding means proof on the track! Can you monitor the AFR with a simple wide band lambda sender to two, and a recording gauge at the dash may be?
Always a pleasure to read from you and your wonderful aventure!
Merci.
Old 11 Mar 2021, 16:09 (Ref:4039881)   #2430
911thillclimber
Veteran

Tell you what..
Firstly this Forum is great!
Secondly, a fellow hill climber might have some tyres and can deliver (he has a UK wide haulage business)
Thirdly, BMTR are hunting down some BIG tyres for me, just needs the boss there to give his blessing.

The actual size tyre is 1.5" x 23" x 13", however there are more duff tyres in a far bigger size at BMTR that will fit my 14" WIDE wheels that I originally raced on before going 'narrow'.
If this works I can have the diff tyres fitted to the big wheels and keep the actual hillclimb tyres all undisturbed. They are remarkably air tight for a racing tyre so it would be a shame to take them off.

My fingers are crossed as well as the spanners.

Not many dull simple relaxed calm tranquil times with this little car!