Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Feb 2021, 12:44 (Ref:4035862)   #51
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
wow that AT looks fantastic
Old 19 Feb 2021, 13:57 (Ref:4035872)   #52
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
35 partners isn’t 35 sponsors.

Those partners are easily identifiable as sponsors and as I said, the word partners is what they like to call sponsors these days and that's right across the board. Go to Ferrari's website and they have a page dedicated to their partners, as do Team Penske and Toyota Gazoo Racing.

Quote:
You can’t run an F1 team on partners providing isotonic drinks to your drivers, or Coke providing free vending machines in the factory as an upgrade to boxes of Freddos.

Or on supporting a mental health charity, or on a ‘partner’ you pay to get tyres from.
Isn't the entire Red Bull Racing F1 team and program run by an isotonic drinks company?
Old 19 Feb 2021, 14:19 (Ref:4035876)   #53
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This year's livery has a lot more blue,

compared to last year's.

Old 19 Feb 2021, 14:36 (Ref:4035879)   #54
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The AT livery is an evolution of last years. Both are fantastic. I think they are knocking it out of the park with the look on their cars and have been for years.

Richard
Old 19 Feb 2021, 14:46 (Ref:4035881)   #55
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It would be somewhat strange if a fashion brand didn't produce something that looked good
Old 19 Feb 2021, 15:03 (Ref:4035887)   #56
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah, both years look great!

i really like the team name on the front wing/overhead shot. from a livery point of view well done!
Old 19 Feb 2021, 15:06 (Ref:4035888)   #57
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mclaren MCL35M - Feb 15 at Woking
Alpha Tauri AT02 - Feb 19 Online

Alfa Romeo C41 - Feb 22 in Warsaw Poland
Red Bull R16B - Feb 23 Online
Ferrari SF21 - Feb 26 team launch and Mar 10 car launch
Mercedes W12 E Performance- Mar 2 Online
Alpine A521 - Mar 2 Online
Aston Martin ? - Mar 3 Online
Williams F43B - Mar 5 Online

Haas - TBD
Old 19 Feb 2021, 17:28 (Ref:4035905)   #58
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Those partners are easily identifiable as sponsors and as I said, the word partners is what they like to call sponsors these days.
Could you explain how Pirelli is a sponsor then, as McLaren pay them and not vice versa?

Quote:
Isn't the entire Red Bull Racing F1 team and program run by an isotonic drinks company?
I think that’s a bit different to the driver’s bag carrier handing him a ‘specially mixed’ drinks bottle.

Overall, there is no doubt they are very light on sponsorship at the moment and shareholders can’t be delighted to see capital continually used towards running budget long-term.
Old 19 Feb 2021, 19:10 (Ref:4035930)   #59
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Could you explain how Pirelli is a sponsor then, as McLaren pay them and not vice versa?

I think that’s a bit different to the driver’s bag carrier handing him a ‘specially mixed’ drinks bottle.

Overall, there is no doubt they are very light on sponsorship at the moment and shareholders can’t be delighted to see capital continually used towards running budget long-term.

Have a look at Red Bull's partner page, they have even fewer sponsors/partners than McLaren.

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/redbullracing/partners

All the teams have the Pirelli logo on their cars because they are the official supplier to F1. Firestone are the official supplier to IndyCar, so all teams have the Firestone logo on their cars.

Well if the ‘specially mixed’ drinks bottle has a logo on it, then that's all part of that sponsor/partner's brand awareness and brand association strategy.
Old 19 Feb 2021, 19:40 (Ref:4035940)   #60
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Have a look at Red Bull's partner page, they have even fewer sponsors/partners than McLaren.

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/redbullracing/partners

All the teams have the Pirelli logo on their cars because they are the official supplier to F1. Firestone are the official supplier to IndyCar, so all teams have the Firestone logo on their cars.

Well if the ‘specially mixed’ drinks bottle has a logo on it, then that's all part of that sponsor/partner's brand awareness and brand association strategy.
Lol, I’m not sure if you’re doing this deliberately but I simply pointed out the McLaren looks very light on sponsors, as it has for a number of years now, despite the sponsor guru being at the helm.

You’ve countered that by pointing out how many partners there are but I’ve explained how sponsors and partners are very different.

They have a lot of outgoings but comparatively few cash sponsors. True, they had a driver who was paying millions even before he raced for them, but now in his third year as a race driver I’m not sure he’s still paying the big bucks.

This year they’ve got an expensive new lead driver, an expensive new customer engine and much reduced FOM income, despite their great finishing position last year.

Their biggest sponsor seems to be issued share capital which cannot be sustainable forever.

Maybe they have a massive deal to be announced, but the pot has been low for quite a long time now.

Comparing spending shareholders funds to Red Bull GmbH, a drinks company with a billion dollar marketing budget, is ridiculous.

Last edited by peebee2; 19 Feb 2021 at 19:48.
Old 19 Feb 2021, 20:49 (Ref:4035949)   #61
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Lol, I’m not sure if you’re doing this deliberately but I simply pointed out the McLaren looks very light on sponsors, as it has for a number of years now, despite the sponsor guru being at the helm.

You’ve countered that by pointing out how many partners there are but I’ve explained how sponsors and partners are very different.

They have a lot of outgoings but comparatively few cash sponsors. True, they had a driver who was paying millions even before he raced for them, but now in his third year as a race driver I’m not sure he’s still paying the big bucks.

This year they’ve got an expensive new lead driver, an expensive new customer engine and much reduced FOM income, despite their great finishing position last year.

Their biggest sponsor seems to be issued share capital which cannot be sustainable forever.

Maybe they have a massive deal to be announced, but the pot has been low for quite a long time now.

Comparing spending shareholders funds to Red Bull GmbH, a drinks company with a billion dollar marketing budget, is ridiculous.

I don't see how I've countered that. Is there a difference between sponsors and partners? The only difference I see is in the nomenclature. Whether one uses the term partner or sponsor, the same role is being fulfilled, which is to provide funding. I suppose using the word partner, has a more business partner/team player feel to it, rather than sponsor.

Red Bull GmbH doesn't trade on the stock market and is privately owned, unlike BAT. In 2019 Red Bull GmbH had a global revenue of around €6.07 billion. BAT's global revenue for 2019 was around £25.877 billion. The average exchange rate in 2019 was €1.140 - £1.000. BAT also had an operating income of £9.016 billion. I don't know what Red Bull GmbH's operating income was for the same period. However, as their revenue was less than BAT's one could presume that their operating income might also be less.
Old 19 Feb 2021, 20:51 (Ref:4035950)   #62
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Basically teams have partners and sponsors. And there are still decals on the car and they don’t always have to have the partners name on the car. That’s how I see it
Old 20 Feb 2021, 04:08 (Ref:4035977)   #63
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I don't see how I've countered that. Is there a difference between sponsors and partners? The only difference I see is in the nomenclature. Whether one uses the term partner or sponsor, the same role is being fulfilled, which is to provide funding. I suppose using the word partner, has a more business partner/team player feel to it, rather than sponsor.

Red Bull GmbH doesn't trade on the stock market and is privately owned, unlike BAT. In 2019 Red Bull GmbH had a global revenue of around €6.07 billion. BAT's global revenue for 2019 was around £25.877 billion. The average exchange rate in 2019 was €1.140 - £1.000. BAT also had an operating income of £9.016 billion. I don't know what Red Bull GmbH's operating income was for the same period. However, as their revenue was less than BAT's one could presume that their operating income might also be less.
I always understood that a partner provided technological support for the team in exchange for advertising and promotion whilst a sponsor paid for it in cash.
Doubtless the definition has been corrupted to suit the needs of the sponsors.
Old 20 Feb 2021, 04:24 (Ref:4035980)   #64
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It’s not so clear cut either. It’s not as if sponsor just covers someone who sticks a sticker on the side or partner has to provide something on the car.

Have I detected an air of sponsor is better than partner here? That strikes me as weird.
Old 23 Feb 2021, 11:18 (Ref:4036404)   #65
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new RB16B

Old 23 Feb 2021, 11:31 (Ref:4036409)   #66
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
The cars are going to be so hard to recognise in the first few races, as we get used to all the new liveries.
Old 23 Feb 2021, 11:48 (Ref:4036411)   #67
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think we should be fine. That said it's nice to see some teams play around with their liveries a bit. Can't wait to see what the others look like
Old 23 Feb 2021, 11:51 (Ref:4036412)   #68
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think we should be fine. That said it's nice to see some teams play around with their liveries a bit. Can't wait to see what the others look like

I predict the new Ferrari will be red

Last edited by steve nielsen; 23 Feb 2021 at 11:58.
Old 23 Feb 2021, 12:11 (Ref:4036414)   #69
S griffin
Veteran

Hopefully with a bit of white like the old days, that would be nice to see
Old 23 Feb 2021, 12:53 (Ref:4036426)   #70
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Red Bull play 2nd best in the group livery stakes.... Alpha Tauri once more make the Red Bull look very ordinary.

Yes, and before anyone tells me an ugly livery on a faster car is better etc etc... i'm just saying if it was down to the livery the AT is the better of the two.
Old 23 Feb 2021, 13:01 (Ref:4036428)   #71
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Last year's livery.

This year's livery.

Old 23 Feb 2021, 13:07 (Ref:4036430)   #72
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
This years car is smaller than last years. Adrian Newey working his magic again.
Old 23 Feb 2021, 13:08 (Ref:4036431)   #73
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So, this is the last year of 'aero porn', as James Allison named it. The turning vanes are looking ever more detailed. Any favourites?
Old 23 Feb 2021, 15:52 (Ref:4036451)   #74
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
This years car is smaller than last years. Adrian Newey working his magic again.
are all the cars smaller/more compact packaging this year?

the benefits of being able to develop last years chassis for an additional season?

all things being equal, a more refined solution by every team may make for a more interesting season?

so far i think i like the Alfa Romeo the best. new nose, that triangle shaped air box, plus their livery...i like this!

Old 23 Feb 2021, 15:58 (Ref:4036452)   #75
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Checo's first RB helmet launch!

https://twitter.com/redbullracing/st...06057111891970

there should be more helmet launches!