Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Aug 2013, 21:55 (Ref:3286328)   #51
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
I think the MX5 was launched in 1989, so whilst they perhaps not historic as yet, they probably fall under the banner of 'classic' and, in my view, in keeping with character of the event.

I enjoyed marshalling at the event and whilst it would have been to see a few more older cars out, it was a fun day of club racing. A particular highlight was the proximity of the Aston and the Daihatsu Charade (perhaps another one that falls under the 'classic' banner, by virtue of its age)at one point in the race, which, I suspect, was a first for most.
Have to agree with that!

I guess it was one of the Daihatsu's team that was running the road going Charade parked in the paddock with the message that went something like "993CC Please Pass" on the tailgate. Strange to think that back in the 80s engines (and cars) were mostly getting bigger for various reasons but now only the bodies seem to be getting bigger and the engines smaller - many back to the same sort of configuration that the Charade offered at the time ... though perhaps with more power available.

It's great to see Rikki Cann's Aston out there as well. Fantastic commitment to run it especially with the fuel consumption involved. Whilst taking the racing seriously they also seemed to be taking maximum enjoyment from the event - which is what it is all about.

Tremendous team efforts all through the garages even for those cars with serious problems. Sadly a few failed to make it or barely made it around a few laps despite everything they tried but others put in huge effort to make some track time or to keep going when problems started to arise.

I guess that's one of the plus points about club endurance racing and one off races. Even if you lose a couple of hours along the way there is a lot of track time available to enjoy if you can work through a problem. Doing a sprint race or even a shorter enduro the only realistic option would be to pack up and head for home.

Finally - tremendous admiration for those on track in the wet conditions, especially the torrential periods. It didn't look at all good from the sidelines and must have been truly awful from the driving seat. There should be badges awarded - of the "I survived without trashing the car ...." type.
Old 5 Aug 2013, 22:10 (Ref:3286332)   #52
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
"Hi, I'm Andy Meyrick, and I've been asked to report to you". That was the greeting I got on arrival at Donington from the young man looking precisely like a professional racing driver! OK, I thought, putting my race licence back in the van, I won't be needing that today....

Tango will be back!

For your latter comment - I hope so Mike, everyone seemed to love the way it handled.

I was watching young Andy for a while from the section between the pit exit and Redgate. After a few laps the Pole sitting, race leading Britcar BMW inched past him into the Redgate braking area and I would swear Andy was being held up on the way out of Redgate ... until the BMW's power told as it headed off for the Craner Curves. I have photos but it really needed video to appreciate that event fully.
Old 5 Aug 2013, 23:14 (Ref:3286353)   #53
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

I have just been looking at the results sheet from TSL and it seems that Tango's fastest lap was lap 75, what looks like the first racing lap after a pit stop and shortly before the throttle pedal problem appeared.

Now if my reading of things was right that would be the 4th driver who was ... ?

Mind you the best 3 times for Tango came from 3 different drivers and were all very close considering the changes in conditions, fuels loads and wear and tear on the car. Bravo everyone!
Old 6 Aug 2013, 04:01 (Ref:3286390)   #54
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Thanks for the report Mike, and such a shame after so much hard work. Hope it's repairable, mine never ran again after last year's 360.
Its only a road car engine, Max. Sure we can get enough old bits together to build anothe one! Maybe find a few more horses as well.....

Old 6 Aug 2013, 04:10 (Ref:3286391)   #55
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Claire and the gang have been extremely brave to undertake the organisation of this race and it has cost them substantial amount of dosh.
I repeat what have said every year- the event has a unique atmosphere and if all falls into place when next season is on the calendar I hope to be back for No 5!

Also for anyone wanting to try something like Spa 6hrs it has to be a good training ground!

Long may it continue- with more participants hopefully!

Old 6 Aug 2013, 05:02 (Ref:3286395)   #56
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mike,

Hope you don't mind I've shoved your report on Google Plus and Facebook. http://mallettracing.blogspot.ae/201...-entrants.html

Old 6 Aug 2013, 05:48 (Ref:3286399)   #57
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Its only a road car engine, Max. Sure we can get enough old bits together to build anothe one! Maybe find a few more horses as well.....

There's a Porsche breakers just 3 miles from Donington Park. He has already told me that if I break my 924S engine I can have an engine off him for £350.

Last edited by andy97; 6 Aug 2013 at 05:56.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 10:37 (Ref:3286465)   #58
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
All sounded great fun but just wondered looking at some of the pictures is it time to drop the historic bit? May actually help with entries and progress it on more.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 10:45 (Ref:3286473)   #59
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think the historic bit has been dropped.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 12:24 (Ref:3286511)   #60
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's in here because the seed was sown here but as Peter says, any pretence at it being primarily for Historics has gone, due it has to be said by the lack of entries from the earlier periods despite the interest expressed from a number of quarters initially! A few more:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2183wb.jpg   IMG_2189wb.jpg   IMG_2224wb.jpg  

IMG_2277wb.jpg   IMG_2284wb.jpg   IMG_2293wb.jpg  

Old 6 Aug 2013, 12:46 (Ref:3286515)   #61
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Seems to me the Historic calendar is pretty full these days, and I don't suppose we can blame owners of 50s and 60s cars for choosing some of the higher profile events.

I think 360 have done the right thing in opening it up ... I'm already formulating some vague plans involving an entirely different set of people I know who I am sure would be up for it. Most of them aren't regular racers, and would probably be amazed at how relatively little it would cost to put an entry (or two) in.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 13:10 (Ref:3286525)   #62
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sounds good to me Garc.

I think the issue for the older cars is putting 6 hours on the engine at one event. However, I was really thinking 70/80s cars; plenty suitable I would have thought.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 13:15 (Ref:3286527)   #63
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Plenty of LT van engines in the scrapyards Mike
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Aug 2013, 17:07 (Ref:3286579)   #64
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Sounds good to me Garc.

I think the issue for the older cars is putting 6 hours on the engine at one event. However, I was really thinking 70/80s cars; plenty suitable I would have thought.
I rather enjoyed the eclectic mix in the garages and the paddock. On the one hand the budget teams running with as little cost as possible and at the other the Britcar boys or similar running stuff that just can't be operated well from a van and trailer and has to have a special floor laid in the garage!

And then the stuff in between.

As an event there is something for everyone, pretty much. A good feeling in the paddock and so far as I could tell, despite the odd drive through here and there and a few minor bumps and nudges the driving standards looked pretty good too. One somewhat damaging incident in qualifying but I think that was probably bad luck and somewhat par for the course a any event.

I reckon John is right - there must be plenty of potential to find some 70s and 80s stuff out there that could be prepped to run the 6 hours and may not have much opportunity to do much elsewhere. It's not as if about 30 or 40 would need to be found to make a series. Whilst anyone running a full season on a limited budget might not feel comfortable dropping a 6hr race into the mix mid season there are other ways to satisfy any desire to run in an endurance event without risking the 'championship' car. And without breaking the bank.

The flexibility of being able to tweak the classes (and the rules to some extent) so suit the entry list has potential for making an entry (or two or three) an attractive proposition for any groups who might feel a desire to have their own rivalries without having to hire a track themselves.

Maybe the only problem is a clash of events - but that's almost impossible to avoid. However the number of entries this year should provide a solid sales pitch for marketing next year's event.
Attached Thumbnails
600px_Web_1D3__360MC_Donington_ONED2393.jpg   600px_Web_1D3__360MC_Donington_ONED2762.jpg   600px_Web_1D3__360MC_Donington_ONED2772.jpg  

600px_Web_1D3__360MC_Donington_ONED2827.jpg   600px_Web_1D3__360MC_Donington_ONED3383.jpg   600px_Web_1D3__360MC_Donington_ONED3546.jpg  

Old 6 Aug 2013, 20:43 (Ref:3286637)   #65
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
Meant 35 mins
Interesting way of finding your culprit Claire. We berate the guy who spun with a rear brake failure and left it in the gravel, which actually didn't cost any time as the session wasn't stopped(?), rather than the guy who actually caused the stoppage by subsequently falling off under double waved yellows and crashing into said car..

Mmm. ;-)

Glad it went well, the guys I spoke to were all very pro. Roll on next year.

S.
Old 7 Aug 2013, 11:42 (Ref:3286878)   #66
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy View Post
Interesting way of finding your culprit Claire. We berate the guy who spun with a rear brake failure and left it in the gravel, which actually didn't cost any time as the session wasn't stopped(?), rather than the guy who actually caused the stoppage by subsequently falling off under double waved yellows and crashing into said car..

M

mm. ;-)

Glad it went well, the guys I spoke to were all very pro. Roll on next year.

S.
Actually Stacy it was ME that caused the delay because I would not declare the circuit fit to continue until it had been sweep several times.

I still have the towing hook that was used to try at first to get Mr Hales out, perhaps a bit more thought might have gone into that eye as in truth, I certainly wouldn't want my M3 relying on it !!! And as was proved, it wasn't reliable and because it failed we could not just pull him out as we would have liked to have done. The strap was completely inadequate.

As you sat, roll on next year

Last edited by MartinSmith; 7 Aug 2013 at 11:52.
Old 7 Aug 2013, 18:55 (Ref:3287005)   #67
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,

Don't be hard on yourself; once the clerk had decided the car wasn't in an unsafe position and the session didnt need to be stopped, it must have taken some effort to ignore double waved yellows, fall off and collect it. Good job no one was in or around it, but hope you weren't too hard on who ever it was all the same.

I've never seen the car, neither had Mark until the day, so can't comment on towing eyes - except that I fit two straps to the front of my car to share the load in the event of drama.

John Mawdsley owns it having bought it recently and has raced for a while now, so presume he is aware. Might be worth dropping him a line though.

All the best

Stacy
Old 7 Aug 2013, 22:06 (Ref:3287046)   #68
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hi,

Don't be hard on yourself; once the clerk had decided the car wasn't in an unsafe position and the session didnt need to be stopped, it must have taken some effort to ignore double waved yellows, fall off and collect it. Good job no one was in or around it, but hope you weren't too hard on who ever it was all the same. .......

Not referring to the specifics of this incident but as a general point - losing it under yellows is extremely serious and should be dealt with as such. Drivers are in a nice metal box with all sorts of safety gear to protect them ... marshals usually have little more than orange probans and yellow flags.

Dave
Old 8 Aug 2013, 07:21 (Ref:3287194)   #69
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Some drivers watch too much tv!
Old 9 Aug 2013, 11:13 (Ref:3287565)   #70
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Hi,

Don't be hard on yourself; once the clerk had decided the car wasn't in an unsafe position and the session didnt need to be stopped, it must have taken some effort to ignore double waved yellows, fall off and collect it. Good job no one was in or around it, but hope you weren't too hard on who ever it was all the same.

I've never seen the car, neither had Mark until the day, so can't comment on towing eyes - except that I fit two straps to the front of my car to share the load in the event of drama.

John Mawdsley owns it having bought it recently and has raced for a while now, so presume he is aware. Might be worth dropping him a line though.

All the best

Stacy
I wasn't being hard on myself I was just telling you why we had a delay
Old 12 Aug 2013, 17:48 (Ref:3288905)   #71
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Nice little piece in last weeks Autosport (just reading- been away!) about Andy Meyrick's participation, including another (small but very good) pic of Tango......

Nothing to do with me!

Old 14 Aug 2013, 15:24 (Ref:3289744)   #72
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Nice little piece in last weeks Autosport (just reading- been away!) about Andy Meyrick's participation, including another (small but very good) pic of Tango......

Nothing to do with me!

Mike

Is there any way you can PDF that for us as I'm not gonna be able to see it otherwise

Ta
C
X
Old 14 Aug 2013, 19:16 (Ref:3289838)   #73
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
Mike

Is there any way you can PDF that for us as I'm not gonna be able to see it otherwise

Ta
C
X
I'll scan it (and the race report) plus send you the mag when you're home.

Old 19 Aug 2013, 07:47 (Ref:3291609)   #74
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Thank you Mike....I am officially back
Old 19 Aug 2013, 13:10 (Ref:3291715)   #75
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Clare and the gang have been extremely brave to undertake the organisation of this race and it has cost them substantial amount of dosh.

Let's hope this years event has a least wiped its nose but if it hasn't best to get out of it.

I remember the early surge of interest by many on here who wanted the race.

Probably print a book of excuses of why most didn't turn up!

Some of the regulars who have given the event enormous backing deserve considerable praise.

Leave it at that!
Thank you Mr Ruston...... Wise words.

I will post something proper further regarding all this. 360 DID wipe its nose so thank you all. The site has been updated HERE with more updates going on throughout the day.

The important thing is that the PROVISIONAL entry is now open for 2014. (its on the site) simple form, just asking for a £300 deposit nothing more ....nothing less. IF we change the date of it then you can have the money back, if we change the venue you can also, if we change ANYTHING or indeed don't run it...you can have your money back and indeed if you change your mind up to JAN 2014 there will be NO problem...so really you have nothing to lose.

Will give an update on when the programme is being aired soon

ta
C