Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Oct 2013, 18:31 (Ref:3319540)   #1
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Historic Birkett Cancelled!

Just been rung by the 750MC, to tell me that the Historic Birkett due on the 2nd November, is cancelled.

Ok, not strictly 'historic' but this was an enterprising revival of the Birkett Relay Race, for car models from 1974 and before. The original Birkett used to contain not only Historics but Vintage cars - Why! once there was a team of Le Mans Bentleys that included Mother Gun! But it attracted more and more moderns, and drivers who lacked the courtesy that marked such earlier contests, and that drove out the classics and older cars.

I was delighted to find that the 750 had revived it as a Historic Birkett, and so were my friends. I had no difficulty in recruiting an All-Triumph Team, of TRs, Spitfires and Gt6s, but only eleven other teams sent in an entry before the closing date. 750 say that they would have bourne the loss, but flet that with only twelve cars on track, it wouldn't have been a Birkett. I agree.

But where are the classic and vintage cars that used to support the Birkett? Surely most of them still exist? Have they been bought by owners to whom they are more investment than sporting tool? What a shame!

John
Old 18 Oct 2013, 18:46 (Ref:3319542)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
That's disappointing, I'll put the car away for the year then.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 18:51 (Ref:3319544)   #3
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope they don't give up on the idea - I think it could be successful. It certainly needs more exposure to attract the entries and maybe some sort of social gathering afterwards, based around comfort food? I'm sure it's got lots of potential.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 18:52 (Ref:3319547)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Perhaps the timing of it isn't so good being a week after the Birkett at Silverstone.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 20:42 (Ref:3319581)   #5
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My experience doesn't agree, Tim.
I 'managed' Birkett teams for many years, but into the '00s it became more and more difficult to recruit a team of classic cars. The reason given was the overwhelming numbers of 'moderns' who were much faster, not that that matters so much - the Birkett from its outset catered by handicapping for all speeds - but the modern drivers had no courtesy for slower drivers. The last time I had a team there was in 2008, and we were one of only a handful - literally, five or six - teams of classic cars. The rest were moderns.

So the 'standard' Birkett and the 'Historic' were catering for different markets. But where are the racing classics? Not in the 'standard' Birkett, that's for sure. Maybe the start of November is just too late in the season. This Historic Birkett could not be more than four hours long - the sun sets at 1620 on the 2nd!

JOhn
Old 19 Oct 2013, 06:07 (Ref:3319717)   #6
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
John, 08 was five years ago and "into the 00s" was ten years back. Times change. It's been a long season and money is tight. Racing in November? Hmmm.......

Added to which John and Claire couldn't get a grid of Historics, the 750 were seeking four times as many. I think maybe this is in the "great idea but" section for the time being.
Old 19 Oct 2013, 09:22 (Ref:3319745)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That is a terrible shame.
Old 19 Oct 2013, 14:37 (Ref:3319817)   #8
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
also it will be interesting to see how many teams in the normal Birkett would have qualified on age for the historic one. Maybe not so many people are intimidated by quicker cars around them as was supposed?
Old 21 Oct 2013, 12:56 (Ref:3321008)   #9
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
To be honest the last time I did the Birkett, which was on the GP circuit I hardly ever saw anyone near me. The only downside was the carnage at the start probably because some people think they need to win a 6 hour race before the first corner.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 16:58 (Ref:3321154)   #10
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to their website, the 750 MC says its still on - or rather doesnt say its cancelled, checked last night.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 17:10 (Ref:3321163)   #11
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDB2s View Post
According to their website, the 750 MC says its still on - or rather doesnt say its cancelled, checked last night.
If you look now It's like the race never existed.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 20:28 (Ref:3321276)   #12
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John,

As you know I entered several Birketts over the years in the trusty old GT6. At the time it was the only way to get an old car into a longer pit stop type event when most of the club racing that we were eligible for was 15 min sprints. This was the same for most historic cars. Times have changed and there is a wide selection of longer races available for historic cars of all ages and all regs whether FIA or more open such as CSCC. I just don't think there is the demand for the Birkett amongst sufficient owners of the older cars now.
Old 22 Oct 2013, 16:04 (Ref:3321697)   #13
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The MGCC had their 4 hour relay a couple of weeks ago at Snetterton which catered for a similar market.
Old 22 Oct 2013, 21:56 (Ref:3321902)   #14
JohnD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
also it will be interesting to see how many teams in the normal Birkett would have qualified on age for the historic one. Maybe not so many people are intimidated by quicker cars around them as was supposed?
The Modern Birkett entry list can be seen here:
http://www.750mc.co.uk/ugc-1/1/28/0/...nd%20times.pdf
71 teams (Seventy one!!) 22 of which are Caterhams or Locosts (I think there would be someone near you, Tim!)
Two 'classic' teams, Sprites and MGB V8s, plus one Elan.
Yes, there are some brave souls!

My team and I were so enthused by the idea of a reborn 'Historic Birkett' that we didn't look at the MGCC Relay. We entered the year before, when it was incredibly unseasonal hot weather, and if the 750s HB is going to bomb, then we'll have another go with MGCC next year.
JOhn
Old 23 Oct 2013, 11:41 (Ref:3322115)   #15
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
John, 08 was five years ago and "into the 00s" was ten years back. Times change. It's been a long season and money is tight. Racing in November? Hmmm.......

Added to which John and Claire couldn't get a grid of Historics, the 750 were seeking four times as many. I think maybe this is in the "great idea but" section for the time being.
Agree totally
Old 27 Oct 2013, 16:59 (Ref:3323738)   #16
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the cutoff date of 1975 was just too historic? Or maybe there should be a sports racer (including Locaterfields) "Birkett" and a tin top or road car based "Birkett" (including open road cars such as MGB or mx5 etc)?
Old 27 Oct 2013, 23:32 (Ref:3323930)   #17
JohnD
Veteran

One spectator has said the same, too many Radical and sports cars: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...t+%28proper%29

One of the joys of the Old Birkett was the very wide range of car types, and speeds, so it would be a pity to split it into types. The CofC at one said that speeds were a problem, it was the most dangerous race in the world (that was before they had 60+ teams) but with a uniquely perfect safety record, that he was determined to keep. If that PistonHeads thread is correct, and I don't doubt it (for the reasons I gave for the classics leaving) then the record is either gone or in jeapardy.
John
Old 27 Oct 2013, 23:49 (Ref:3323947)   #18
bill2b
Rookie

bill2b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
To be honest the last time I did the Birkett, which was on the GP circuit I hardly ever saw anyone near me. The only downside was the carnage at the start probably because some people think they need to win a 6 hour race before the first corner.
That would not be 2011 by any chance ? That was the year of start line carnage when a "Radical" stalled on the front row, quite frankly 63 cars all trying to get a good start had no chance to avoid this and was nothing to do with winning a six hour race on the first corner.
Perhaps If I ever start the Birkett again I will think again and pull away really slowly, but I suppose I would then be at risk of the 30 odd cars behind me crashing into me.
Some people are too smart
Old 27 Oct 2013, 23:59 (Ref:3323957)   #19
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
The CofC at one said that speeds were a problem, it was the most dangerous race in the world (that was before they had 60+ teams) but with a uniquely perfect safety record, that he was determined to keep.
It pleases me that one of my briefings was so memorable!
Old 2 Nov 2013, 17:15 (Ref:3326348)   #20
JohnD
Veteran

I wasn't so pleased when some fool of a manager asked you if his drivers could carry a mobile phone, to call in if they broke down. A sigh ran around the room, as every experienced manager was bending the rules in that way. I'm sure you knew already, but now you had to adjudicate, and had to say, No!

If there wasn't a ritual kicking at the back of the pits after, there should have been.
John
Old 2 Nov 2013, 18:27 (Ref:3326361)   #21
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
I wasn't so pleased when some fool of a manager asked you if his drivers could carry a mobile phone, to call in if they broke down. A sigh ran around the room, as every experienced manager was bending the rules in that way. I'm sure you knew already, but now you had to adjudicate, and had to say, No!

If there wasn't a ritual kicking at the back of the pits after, there should have been.
John
It just goes to to prove the principle - "Don't ask a question when you don't need to know the answer"!