Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Sep 2018, 19:53 (Ref:3853624)   #51
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I am a bit of a purist and I love motor racing in all sorts of formats and I accept team orders
Did I say that? No definitely not.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 19:58 (Ref:3853627)   #52
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I said it, as a purist.

Last edited by Adam43; 30 Sep 2018 at 20:05.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 20:01 (Ref:3853630)   #53
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I was just SO surprised Perez let Ocon back through! Thought it might have been the best bit!
Old 30 Sep 2018, 20:02 (Ref:3853631)   #54
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I am a bit of a purist and I love motor racing in all sorts of formats and I accept team orders
I understand the posts.. It's money at the end of the day..
Old 30 Sep 2018, 20:06 (Ref:3853632)   #55
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I am a bit of a purist and I love motor racing in all sorts of so formats and I detest these team order; F1 is a complete sham in this respect. Shameful decision to switch Bottas and even worse was the non penalty given to Vettell for the double move in front of Hamilton, Vettell clearly made 2 moves into the braking area and yet the stewards deemed that it was legal
Dear lord
It was a farce there was even an investigation at all.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 20:08 (Ref:3853634)   #56
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
I understand the posts.. It's money at the end of the day..
It’s the point of the game. The money makes it harder to treat it as only a game. I see what you are saying.

They can do as they wish. When someone does behave in a sporting manner it is all the more worthy of appreciation.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 20:13 (Ref:3853636)   #57
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
Bit of pants really. After turn 1, we all knew the outcome. I wanted Bottas and Perez to throw toys our of prams.. but really.. it was never going to happen. Even Coulthard admitted he only moved over for Mika if he got his "win" money bonus. Says it all really.. not "proper" racing..
Old 30 Sep 2018, 20:19 (Ref:3853639)   #58
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I wonder what this might do for the new partner in the betting business.Might be enough to make them question whether the relationship is worth anything at all.

I couldn't help seeing Bernie once again acting as the greeter to the VIP delegation,about the only time we see him these days.Its a strange business that makes no effort to use the abilities of such a man considering what he did to establish and promote the championship.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 20:22 (Ref:3853640)   #59
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
Quote:
It’s the point of the game. The money makes it harder to treat it as only a game. I see what you are saying.

They can do as they wish. When someone does behave in a sporting manner it is all the more worthy of appreciation.
Thanks for the message.. I'm a bit like Perez.. I'm confused how to answer.. Old man syndrome.. hope it got through Adam...
Old 30 Sep 2018, 20:41 (Ref:3853648)   #60
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
Yeah.. wow.. Bernie.. white beard and sunglasses with Putin. He's got a new job...
Old 30 Sep 2018, 20:48 (Ref:3853649)   #61
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It makes me wonder whether Vlad's mate Donald will get the same reception in Austin.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 22:12 (Ref:3853665)   #62
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I knew there would be people out there commenting as if Merc are the only team ever to impose team orders. Maybe it was a but awkward, but I’m sure they’ll sort any difficulties out

Vettel was on the edge with those two changing of lines. And it seems Magnussen was up to his old tricks again

Good recovery by both RBRs, especially as Danny was hobbled at the first part of the race with a damaged front wing
Old 30 Sep 2018, 23:30 (Ref:3853673)   #63
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I knew there would be people out there commenting as if Merc are the only team ever to impose team orders.
I don't see that anywhere ?

Ferrari did it before, RBR did it before. Others did it before them.
Others got criticized for it. Mercedes deserved to be as heavily criticized as the others.

They are not worse than any of the others, but not better either. Just as bad (or good, depending on how you look at it)

Quote:
IMO, that feels just like a (failed) attempt at damage limitation / image protection.
If he didn't want it, he could have given it back to Bottas. He didn't.

Or he could have proposed to his team to give it back. I didn't hear that get broadcast, so either he didn't propose it or the directors chose not to broadcast his conversation. The former seems more likely I'd think.

Last edited by gert; 30 Sep 2018 at 23:43.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 23:58 (Ref:3853683)   #64
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
At least F1 is unique in being pretty much the only sport that legalises match fixing.
Old 1 Oct 2018, 00:28 (Ref:3853687)   #65
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
It makes me wonder whether Vlad's mate Donald will get the same reception in Austin.
He won't be there….
Old 1 Oct 2018, 04:43 (Ref:3853711)   #66
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
IMO, that feels just like a (failed) attempt at damage limitation / image protection.
If he didn't want it, he could have given it back to Bottas. He didn't.

Or he could have proposed to his team to give it back.
During my working life, 'did many things I didn't prefer to do. 'Not my choice when working for the decision makers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
At least F1 is unique in being pretty much the only sport that legalises match fixing.
What match fixing is that? Remember, there are ten teams, not just two drivers, in the championships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
He won't be there….
'Didn't know he is supposed to be...
('Didn't come to our Halloween party last year either. Was he supposed to?)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In each of the above situations, there's a major difference 'twixt what is emotionally good, and, what is rational, in reality.

Last edited by jimclark; 1 Oct 2018 at 05:08.

jimclark
Old 1 Oct 2018, 06:04 (Ref:3853719)   #67
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Even Coulthard admitted he only moved over for Mika if he got his "win" money bonus. Says it all really.. not "proper" racing..
Exactly- it’s F1, not “proper” racing! Thought We’d be used to that by now, team orders have been going on long enough, from the early days when (as mentioned several posts back) drivers came in on request and gave their healthy car to a team mate....
Old 1 Oct 2018, 06:35 (Ref:3853724)   #68
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It doesn't make it any better and also in those days it was a drivers championship only. I agree team orders are fine but there has to be some context to them. Lewis was still in control of the championship even if he finished second. But as I said above I didn't watch it because I knew the outcome already.
Old 1 Oct 2018, 07:03 (Ref:3853727)   #69
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Indeed if there was an imperative such as only two races to go an the points were owe than if course swap the drivers. But as I understand it Lewis had a big enough lead to make this facile.
At the moment, we are assuming that Lewis has a big enough lead to make it facile, but if Vettel puts a solid run of results together, and closes the gap to less than 10 points for instance, it is exactly the right thing to do.
A point in the first race of the season carries the same value (in terms of championship and prize money) as a point the last race. The only time Lewis will have a big enough lead is when the title is decided.
If team orders are acceptable at any point in the season, they should be acceptable through the whole season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Except it is not. It was mentioned in commentary of the BTCC this weekend how Turkington might benefit from being in a team of cars that can help his title bid - is that not 'fixing'?

How about when a cricket team declares to try and get a result - 'fixing'?

In football, when the team decides who will take a penalty, and affects the betting on scorers - 'fixing'?

In a lot of sports, teams can do things within the rules to achieve the result they desire from a given situation, it is up to the competition to change that. In this case, the onus was on Ferrari to prevent Mercedes from being able to control who won the race - but they failed.
Old 1 Oct 2018, 07:53 (Ref:3853737)   #70
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
At the moment, we are assuming that Lewis has a big enough lead to make it facile, but if Vettel puts a solid run of results together, and closes the gap to less than 10 points for instance, it is exactly the right thing to do.
A point in the first race of the season carries the same value (in terms of championship and prize money) as a point the last race. The only time Lewis will have a big enough lead is when the title is decided.
If team orders are acceptable at any point in the season, they should be acceptable through the whole season.
Yes, I understand all of that but it doesn't make the event any more palatable. As I said above, I knew what the result would be (failing accidents or breakdowns) so I didn't bother watching. That is why I find this particular circumstance distasteful. There is currently no need right now, especially with the reliability of the power units, to protect Lewis' lead in this way.
Old 1 Oct 2018, 08:14 (Ref:3853741)   #71
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I knew there would be people out there commenting as if Merc are the only team ever to impose team orders. Maybe it was a but awkward, but I’m sure they’ll sort any difficulties out

Vettel was on the edge with those two changing of lines. And it seems Magnussen was up to his old tricks again

Good recovery by both RBRs, especially as Danny was hobbled at the first part of the race with a damaged front wing

The main point is that Mercedes are the only team deceitful enough to state that they allow their drivers to race!
Old 1 Oct 2018, 08:38 (Ref:3853752)   #72
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Except it is not. It was mentioned in commentary of the BTCC this weekend how Turkington might benefit from being in a team of cars that can help his title bid - is that not 'fixing'?

How about when a cricket team declares to try and get a result - 'fixing'?

In football, when the team decides who will take a penalty, and affects the betting on scorers - 'fixing'?

In a lot of sports, teams can do things within the rules to achieve the result they desire from a given situation, it is up to the competition to change that. In this case, the onus was on Ferrari to prevent Mercedes from being able to control who won the race - but they failed.
So being a team sport ala football why is there a Drivers Championship? Awarded to one (ie.singular) driver?
Old 1 Oct 2018, 08:58 (Ref:3853759)   #73
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Look at it another way Mercedes could have missed out on a drivers 1-2 in the drivers championship. Bottas could miss out by a handful of points. If Bottas won he would have been about the same numbers of points behind Vettel as Vettel would be behind Hamilton.
Old 1 Oct 2018, 09:00 (Ref:3853760)   #74
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
It doesn't make it any better and also in those days it was a drivers championship only. I agree team orders are fine but there has to be some context to them. Lewis was still in control of the championship even if he finished second. But as I said above I didn't watch it because I knew the outcome already.
61 years ago? That's was F1's infancy. 'Been dual championships ever since.

Context? You didn't watch which is fine...'understood why you didn't know. Lewis' left rear had blistered around the center (one could see them) so there was context.

jimclark
Old 1 Oct 2018, 09:07 (Ref:3853761)   #75
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
So being a team sport ala football why is there a Drivers Championship? Awarded to one (ie.singular) driver?
Probably for the same reason most motorsports issue a driver and team prize.

Football does also award prizes to individuals in a team sport.

The main difference I see here though is that Formula One chooses to highlight the driver's result more than the team's result. But they also award a team's prize on every podium - and the finances are distributed based on the team's position, not the drivers'

The public face of F1 is that it is all about the drivers - they are the household names. But the private side is that everything revolves around the collective team performance.