Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Apr 2005, 15:00 (Ref:1285853)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fisi....

First of all, waht happened to Fisi today? TC glitch?

It's all gone pear shaped for him hasn't it? Won the first race (aided a little by bizarre quali) at a canter, and now three straight retirements.

How are Renault supposed to win a constructors championship when Fisi's car keeps breaking?

Alonso, meanwhile, steams on brilliantly....
Old 24 Apr 2005, 15:03 (Ref:1285857)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was a strange crash for sure...
Didn't look like an overreaction to a slide or something, just lost it somehow...
Old 24 Apr 2005, 15:04 (Ref:1285858)   #3
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He said that he suddenly lost control of the car...maybe a puncture or TC failure...
Old 24 Apr 2005, 15:39 (Ref:1285899)   #4
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Fisi's season is coming off the rails a bit. A win in Alonso's back yard at Barcelona would be a good way to get back on track, but he is looking vulnerable. Let's hope he recovers his Melbourne form and joins the scrap for the title.
Old 24 Apr 2005, 15:41 (Ref:1285903)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not sure but I thought it was a left rear puncture. We didn't get any decent shots of the car. But it appeared to lurch to the right.

As to Fisi himself. I don't really want to go back to my original feelings but it does seem that he's either taking a bashing mentally or he is being very unlucky. His qualifying isn't very good for a start is it?
Old 24 Apr 2005, 15:46 (Ref:1285913)   #6
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It looked really weird, the back just stepped out for no apparent reason and before he had much chance to react he was on his way across the gravel to the wall.

It could have been TC, but didn't they mention on the commentary that he had been complaining of handling problems prior the accident? Perhaps he had a suspension problem. Trulli had a suspension failure at Silverstone last year.

Last edited by Spudgun; 24 Apr 2005 at 15:47.
Old 24 Apr 2005, 15:58 (Ref:1285931)   #7
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aside from the win in Melbourne Fisi hasn't exactly had a great season, has he? He's qualified 1, 3, 10 and 12 on the grid... hardly the makings of a heady championship run (unless you're Schumacher that is). Even if you just look at qualifying and ignore the DNFs he's getting demolished by Alonso.
Old 24 Apr 2005, 16:25 (Ref:1285956)   #8
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's reminding me a bit of Heinz-Harald Frentzen at Williams. As fast as his team-mate but less hard-headed - and having very poor luck.
Old 24 Apr 2005, 16:29 (Ref:1285960)   #9
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
He's still settling in at Renault, had very very bad luck (again), and is probably a bit rattled at the pace of his star teammate. I have seen him start poorly before in his career and recover... but this time, I am truly worried.
Old 24 Apr 2005, 16:43 (Ref:1285967)   #10
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm pretty confident that Fisi will be strong in the next few races.

There are tracks - Imola & Malaysia where he's never particularly shone. It would've been ideal for him to bag some points though, just for damage limitations...

I don't know if the championship is still on, but I do think he'll feature at the front of races again soon.
Old 24 Apr 2005, 16:57 (Ref:1285984)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The qualifying 1 system doesn't help a driver who has a bad race - they really should base the order on practice times in future. It doesn't explain his overall lack of pace, and if anything the retirement spares his blushes a little, as it detracts attention from how bad his driving appeared to be. He was enver anywhere near the ultimate pace, adn would've only taken 2 or 3 points despite having at least the third best car.
Old 24 Apr 2005, 21:20 (Ref:1286275)   #12
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His crash looked definitely mechanical, he was already accelerating out of the corner. Fisico can't buy a break lately can't he?
Old 24 Apr 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1286317)   #13
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think he just got it off balance and messed up.

After last race I said that Fisi was stinking up the place and several people disagreed with me, saying that his inability to be anywhere near Alonso's level could be accounted for by poor luck. I am restating my opinion that Fisi is stinking. I think he's got a lot more speed an talent than he's delivering. Regardless if this problem was mechanical, he made a costly mistake in qualifying and was a lot slower than Alonso.
Old 24 Apr 2005, 22:36 (Ref:1286335)   #14
curveball
Racer

United States
Michigan
curveball should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Question for those of you in the know, I noticed in his crash he kept a tight grip of the wheel all the way into the wall. I thought that was a big no-no, so as to not have the wheel twist your arms off and cause injury? Or is that only in some forms of racing, maybe NASCAR and some others? Just seemed odd to me as I always had heard that you are supposed to let go right before impact.
Old 24 Apr 2005, 22:42 (Ref:1286340)   #15
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
poor fisi, not up to it - lost his chance at the championship when he collided with webber at malaysia
Old 24 Apr 2005, 22:48 (Ref:1286344)   #16
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Poor old Fisi I think something must have broke on his car. He is having bad luck with reliability problems isn't he. Curveball I am not sure but I think he was trying hard to keep the car off the wall which is why he hung on for so long. He will have better days he is such a good driver IMHO of course

Last edited by JeremySmith; 24 Apr 2005 at 22:50.
Old 24 Apr 2005, 22:56 (Ref:1286352)   #17
curveball
Racer

United States
Michigan
curveball should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah I thought the same, just was really expecting him to let go at the end. Oh well, am sure he will do a lot better in the next race.
Old 24 Apr 2005, 23:59 (Ref:1286413)   #18
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by curveball
Question for those of you in the know, I noticed in his crash he kept a tight grip of the wheel all the way into the wall. I thought that was a big no-no, so as to not have the wheel twist your arms off and cause injury? Or is that only in some forms of racing, maybe NASCAR and some others? Just seemed odd to me as I always had heard that you are supposed to let go right before impact.
I noticed the same thing and I was a little surprised. Perhaps the power steering is such that the steering wheel force of a lower speed impact isn't that bad? Drivers definately remove their hands from the wheel in Champ Car as well.
Old 25 Apr 2005, 04:32 (Ref:1286495)   #19
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Sabotage I say!
Old 25 Apr 2005, 09:37 (Ref:1286682)   #20
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
The back of his R25 just seemed to snap and veer off?!

I do think he'll win again this year but not enough to get back in the title hunt.

In terms of battling his teammate, remember that Massa pummelled him in the early part of last year and he soon turned that around and i don't think anyone will disagree that Massa may well be one of the top 4 outright quickest guys in it.
Old 25 Apr 2005, 09:48 (Ref:1286698)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It may have been a problem the car was carrying all weekend,hence the poor qually where he couldn't figure out what went wrong.FA also carried an engine problem all weekend.Reliability is not one of Renaults strong points.
Old 25 Apr 2005, 12:13 (Ref:1286842)   #22
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Having broken a wrist and a thumb in a wall contact myself, I was surprised he hung on to the wheel maybe there is a deformable part in the steering to prevent injury ?
Old 25 Apr 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1287083)   #23
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Poor Fisi, whats happening to him?
Old 26 Apr 2005, 00:08 (Ref:1287498)   #24
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fisi's 'unspecified problem'?

Why would Renault be keeping so quiet about what caused Fisi's accident? He said he didn't know what caused it and the team is labelling it a 'currently unspecified technical problem'.

http://www.renaultf1.com/en/season/i...ws=tcm:3-35234

Do they honestly not know??
Or is it something that they don't want broadcast?

Probably a storm of teacup proportions but why all the secrecy?

Old 26 Apr 2005, 01:17 (Ref:1287529)   #25
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah...just spotted the Fisi thread. This probably could have gone in there.

Apologies for clutter.