Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 16 Jan 2020, 11:19 (Ref:3951918)   #276
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Sheringham?
No, N Walsham......
Old 16 Jan 2020, 11:35 (Ref:3951921)   #277
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They have an almost opposite situation in Spain, especially along the Costas and also mainly concerning domestic properties. There, it is not uncommon for local authorities to grant builders and developers building licences because they are a great source of revenue.

However, in many cases, the said local authorities were not in a position to grant such licences, and in many instances the revenue actually went to individuals within the authorities rather than the authorities themselves. This has resulted in hundreds of thousands of properties being constructed and sold which are actually illegally built.

So far, a few have been demolished, but most remain in situ. But it does mean that a lot of these property owners are unable to sell them if they wish to move. The largest problem is in the Marbella area which has in excess of a hundred thousand illegal properties due to the corrupt practices of their past Senior Planning Officer, who it is alleged kept his bosses sweet with multiple brown envelopes, and who is currently languishing in jail awaiting trial.
Old 16 Jan 2020, 12:26 (Ref:3951930)   #278
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
They have an almost opposite situation in Spain, especially along the Costas and also mainly concerning domestic properties. There, it is not uncommon for local authorities to grant builders and developers building licences because they are a great source of revenue.

However, in many cases, the said local authorities were not in a position to grant such licences, and in many instances the revenue actually went to individuals within the authorities rather than the authorities themselves. This has resulted in hundreds of thousands of properties being constructed and sold which are actually illegally built.

So far, a few have been demolished, but most remain in situ. But it does mean that a lot of these property owners are unable to sell them if they wish to move. The largest problem is in the Marbella area which has in excess of a hundred thousand illegal properties due to the corrupt practices of their past Senior Planning Officer, who it is alleged kept his bosses sweet with multiple brown envelopes, and who is currently languishing in jail awaiting trial.
Tell me about it Mike, I could write a book about it as we have been down here since the mid 70s. Corruption is still rife although hopefully the newly formed government "might" try and sort it. However this is Spain and I can't see it personally. I am forever making films for a forum down here and several have been on the "abandoned properties" theme that is all over my area as well as Spain in general. We even have a 3/4 built massive hotel that is slowly falling apart on the road to Carboneras from our place, It has been called "Hotel Illegal" by Greenpeace and has been spoiling the campo for years.
https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-n...supreme-court/

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 16 Jan 2020 at 12:32.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Jan 2020, 15:22 (Ref:3951950)   #279
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Presumably EU funds will have gone in to some of these projects and been wasted.
Old 16 Jan 2020, 17:58 (Ref:3951963)   #280
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Presumably EU funds will have gone in to some of these projects and been wasted.
I wouldn't know Peter but one things for sure someone has ! probably pension funds and money laundering ! The EU put a lot of money into the roads down here and also a new railway line that was started, that is now overgrown without any rails and bricked up entrances to the tunnels !
This is the sort of thing I see every day if I care to look around. The thing is that they are never knocked down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VPD1SNeo88
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Jan 2020, 19:46 (Ref:3951981)   #281
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone tell me what this is. I'm guessing it might be a Cooper
Attached Thumbnails
Cooper.jpg  
Old 16 Jan 2020, 22:13 (Ref:3952005)   #282
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Don’t know Colin but I would love to have the petrol pumps. I really want an telephone box and couple of pumps outside Delta HQ. “ they don’t have to work”.
Old 16 Jan 2020, 22:13 (Ref:3952007)   #283
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
On todays news headlines. A former Spanish bank boss has been slapped with a €52m (£44m) fine after he was found guilty of smuggling a Picasso painting abroad that had been designated national treasure.
As mike pointed out corruption is rife in Spain and I can't see it changing, obviously a lot more of the European countries are just as bad (or worse) I know one that certainly is far worse and I don't mean the UK !
Old 16 Jan 2020, 22:17 (Ref:3952008)   #284
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Don’t know Colin but I would love to have the petrol pumps. I really want an telephone box and couple of pumps outside Delta HQ. “ they don’t have to work”.
Iain, at the end of the road where my sister lives someone actually stole the telephone box leaving the wires poking out of the ground including the live feed for the 250v interior lamp !
That's got to be a 50s Cooper as they were all made there in Surbiton up to 1960.
Old 16 Jan 2020, 22:44 (Ref:3952017)   #285
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Can anyone tell me what this is. I'm guessing it might be a Cooper
It looks like the Cooper MG's of the early '50's. I would guess that it is John Cooper at the wheel, from the rather blurry picture it looks like him.
Attached Thumbnails
392.jpg   DSC_7952.jpg  

Last edited by bauble; 16 Jan 2020 at 23:04.
Old 16 Jan 2020, 23:12 (Ref:3952019)   #286
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Interesting, that is reminiscent of a famous judicial review which resulted in the legal term "Wednesbury Unreasonableness".
My late Grand parents lived in Wednesbury many years ago. I understand the term, although I am sure a different context.

Although their shop/ flat was compulsorily purchased to make way for a ring road. Should have been a bypass.....
Old 16 Jan 2020, 23:29 (Ref:3952021)   #287
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you Bob, can I borrow the pic to answer a question on another (non-motorsport) forum? Credited of course.

Iain, pumps and especially glass globes are worth a lot of money these days, might not last long if left outside! When I think of how many we scrapped while modernising petrol stations in the '70s when we were turning every site into self service. I personally heaved more than one clock face pump onto the scrappie's lorry

Last edited by Colin McKay; 16 Jan 2020 at 23:36.
Old 16 Jan 2020, 23:54 (Ref:3952024)   #288
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:

Iain, pumps and especially glass globes are worth a lot of money these days, might not last long if left outside! When I think of how many we scrapped while modernising petrol stations in the '70s when we were turning every site into self service. I personally heaved more than one clock face pump onto the scrappie's lorry
When my brother and I ran a garage in the late 60s we had all new tanks and pumps installed, there were two glass globed ones and one hand cranked job that we smashed up and put it in an old 500 gallon tank along with the rest of the scrap. Hindsight wasn't invented then and as for the phone boxes there is still one outside of that garage today. I understand that the Yanks buy them for silly money and some are used as shower cubicles
Old 17 Jan 2020, 07:58 (Ref:3952047)   #289
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[QUOTE=Colin McKay;3952021]Thank you Bob, can I borrow the pic to answer a question on another (non-motorsport) forum? Credited of course.

Colin, the first picture is my own, and the second off the internet. You many use mine, no need to credit unless money changes hand.

I think that about three of that model were produced, and I certainly remember Peter Reece used to race on in period. I could probably do a bit more research if your friend was interested enough.

Cheers,

Bob.
Old 17 Jan 2020, 10:22 (Ref:3952064)   #290
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Think this goes slightly beyond the ‘slight car park ding’.....

https://apple.news/AQsHqd1OHSBumBLpeigv3zg
Old 17 Jan 2020, 13:13 (Ref:3952077)   #291
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Sorry if you are hard at work but !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u7UKKmwf0Y
Old 17 Jan 2020, 13:18 (Ref:3952078)   #292
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Think this goes slightly beyond the ‘slight car park ding’.....

https://apple.news/AQsHqd1OHSBumBLpeigv3zg
Got to be an Auto, it always is
Old 17 Jan 2020, 13:40 (Ref:3952082)   #293
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just had 30 mins off to go for nice walk with Delta dog up the park . Nice sunny here at moment Gordon
Old 17 Jan 2020, 21:07 (Ref:3952139)   #294
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I could probably do a bit more research if your friend was interested enough.

Thanks Bob, the original query came from a forum dealing with old petrol stations. There's a certain irony here! The petrol pump enthusiasts wanted to know about the racing car and the racing enthusiasts only want to talk about the petrol pumps
Old 17 Jan 2020, 21:30 (Ref:3952142)   #295
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Thanks Bob, the original query came from a forum dealing with old petrol stations. There's a certain irony here! The petrol pump enthusiasts wanted to know about the racing car and the racing enthusiasts only want to talk about the petrol pumps
There's a forum on petrol pumps???
Old 17 Jan 2020, 22:09 (Ref:3952148)   #296
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yes, you don't have to get your petrol in bottles from the chemist anymore Bob
Old 17 Jan 2020, 22:45 (Ref:3952160)   #297
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Yes, you don't have to get your petrol in bottles from the chemist anymore Bob
Colin before our establishment was made into a garage it was a forge and we had to junk all sorts of stuff left over from the early 1900s. Amongst the "junk" was several of the old 2 gallon petrol cans with the brass caps. They all had 3/6d on them and I understand that was the price complete with petrol in them ? We also chucked away all the old enamel signs and countless artefacts that are now "collectors items", back then the only people that collected such stuff was the scrap man
Old 18 Jan 2020, 07:33 (Ref:3952175)   #298
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
You don't have to get your petrol in bottles from the chemist anymore Bob
Take care Bob when bringing your bottles to the chemist… After so many years on the tracks, this kind of material might be hazardous…
Old 20 Jan 2020, 13:46 (Ref:3952447)   #299
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Cost of going Historic Racing still creeping up- Elan 26R replica built 2019, £175k, and another organiser charging big ‘membership’ fees, in this case £350 p.a.

Old 20 Jan 2020, 17:04 (Ref:3952471)   #300
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I shall await your comments on film Pete.It was good but I for one did not like the way it had been filmed. made me a bit queezy.

Got round to seeing this (1917) yesterday, courtesy of a 2-for-1ticket offer for Times subscribers - nearest Odeon is about 20 miles away but quite a good multi-screen place. Although quite a long film I didn't feel it dragged, and the cinematography was very impressive. AFAIK I had only my maternal grandfather involved in WW1 and he came home unscathed, but never talked about it, of course. My partner, being some 15 years older than me, had her father in the thick of it, long before she was born of course, and for her the seal of authenticity was right at the end when the lieutenant had a binocular case slung round his tunic - identical to the one her Dad had and which now resides in our cupboard.......