Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 26 Nov 2021, 20:21 (Ref:4085574)   #3101
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Alan Morgan and myself went to the RAC awards last night in Pall Mall.We "Historic FF2000 " had been short listed to receive an award for best series 2021.
Since retiring a couple of years back I've had the time to follow my motorsport passion and the FF2000 racing has been superb with the HSCC, good grids competitive close racing and thoroughly entertaining. Well done you guys but I'm none too sure about the Bond nomination

Last edited by justracing; 26 Nov 2021 at 20:41.
Old 27 Nov 2021, 08:31 (Ref:4085600)   #3102
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Alan Morgan and myself went to the RAC awards last night in Pall Mall.We "Historic FF2000 " had been short listed to receive an award for best series 2021. Well, we did not win but Alan tells me he has had Pinewood Studios on the phone as they are still looking for a new James Bond Actor.

Attachment 72369
Excellent and well deserved recognition.
Old 27 Nov 2021, 09:24 (Ref:4085602)   #3103
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Son of a gun, James Bond, Alan and Iain, you both look great! Hollywood smile! Cant believe you dropped your spanners for a while…
Old 27 Nov 2021, 09:47 (Ref:4085604)   #3104
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Son of a gun, James Bond, Alan and Iain, you both look great! Hollywood smile! Cant believe you dropped your spanners for a while…

Hard to believe they cycled there!
Old 27 Nov 2021, 11:25 (Ref:4085613)   #3105
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
"Do I expect you to talk, messrs Rowley and Morgan? No I expect you to ......
DRIVE ! "
Old 27 Nov 2021, 19:33 (Ref:4085661)   #3106
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Hard to believe they cycled there!
There's a link between what you call bow tie which is said butterfly knot here (noeud papillon), they hold Aston and bicylce wheels. Honest, our Bond boys look Q like cute!
Old 27 Nov 2021, 22:55 (Ref:4085681)   #3107
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I notice that that the picture is not showing any hands ! Just like my wedding pictures where the photographer asked me to hold Sue's hand in a close up two days after taking my motocross bike engine to pieces
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 28 Nov 2021, 09:54 (Ref:4085743)   #3108
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Seems official photographers cant appreciate black nail polish! Is it your case Bob?
Old 28 Nov 2021, 12:20 (Ref:4085751)   #3109
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I notice that that the picture is not showing any hands ! Just like my wedding pictures where the photographer asked me to hold Sue's hand in a close up two days after taking my motocross bike engine to pieces
Gordon, im surprised you let Sue take your motocross engine to pieces. No end to the good lady's skills!

Alan and Iain, great stuff to get the nomination and well deserved.
Old 28 Nov 2021, 17:42 (Ref:4085769)   #3110
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Sad news about Sir Frank Williams' demise.....
Old 28 Nov 2021, 18:29 (Ref:4085780)   #3111
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Gordon, im surprised you let Sue take your motocross engine to pieces. No end to the good lady's skills!

Funny thing is that it never went properly after she took it to bits, perhaps its
because she only used a pair of mole grips !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 28 Nov 2021, 19:17 (Ref:4085785)   #3112
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just for Gordon. Note Middle finger very bent. This was due to me putting into generator cooling fan around two in the morning. When I was building the Modsports GT6 I did not have electric in the lock up. I would put the generator in garage next door but that night it vibrated around as as i fumbled for the on/off switch I then stuck the finger in the fan. Top of finger hanging off I drove to hospital and had it stuck back on.Not so happy days as I remember thinking "I am not too sure on this motor racing idea ". Still good story now some 50 years later.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clean Hands..jpg
Views:	4
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	72418
Old 29 Nov 2021, 06:08 (Ref:4085835)   #3113
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not so good for rude gestures is it.
Old 29 Nov 2021, 06:44 (Ref:4085837)   #3114
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Not so good for rude gestures is it.
He's been lucky not to go out for a pee…
Old 30 Nov 2021, 12:30 (Ref:4085987)   #3115
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I hope that I am not the only one who has been struck sometimes about the thinking that goes behind companies' adverts, and whether the execs in charge ever consider what message they may be promoting?

Honda are currently running ads on the radio for their cars with the final tag-line "The power of dreams". It immediately occurred to me how crass that message is, especially for the thousands of their loyal workers who have only recently been given the boot when they decided to close their plant, one of the most productive that they had, in Swindon.

How about all those employees whose dreams were smashed? As well as all the other workers who provided goods and services for the plant, and all the workers who provided goods and services to them and so on?
Old 30 Nov 2021, 12:44 (Ref:4085991)   #3116
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I hope that I am not the only one who has been struck sometimes about the thinking that goes behind companies' adverts, and whether the execs in charge ever consider what message they may be promoting?

Honda are currently running ads on the radio for their cars with the final tag-line "The power of dreams". It immediately occurred to me how crass that message is, especially for the thousands of their loyal workers who have only recently been given the boot when they decided to close their plant, one of the most productive that they had, in Swindon.

How about all those employees whose dreams were smashed? As well as all the other workers who provided goods and services for the plant, and all the workers who provided goods and services to them and so on?
I would think Honda might have been dreaming about actually selling some cars! Bit of a rare site these days, certainly in this part of the world.
Old 30 Nov 2021, 14:29 (Ref:4086002)   #3117
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I would think Honda might have been dreaming about actually selling some cars! Bit of a rare site these days, certainly in this part of the world.
I think that was the problem John.

With Swindon producing mostly European spec cars, that were of dubious design appeal for the market, plus the R-Types which have been legislated out of the market by emissions regulations, there was little point in having the plant open. I seem to recall that Honda have even pulled back on some operations in China pending expansion of Electric manufacturing.

With so much aggregation going via mergers and partnerships consumer choices will soon be greatly restricted once again. That probably won't matter that much to the coming generations.

Why?

Well, in parallel tale ow woe, our microwave packed up at the weekend. I suspect a dodgy microswitch as the final nail but the touch-control panel has been failing for some months. It's no more than 2 years old. The previous one lasted about 18 months. Same model. "Sharp" (by branding at least) and they used to be rather good.

Looking at possible replacements in the cheap end of the market there are several well-known brand names attached to what appear to be the same products, some with almost no differences in design, some with minor differences some looking quite different with dials and stuff but I rather suspect that all of them have the same component supplier(s) so will likely suffer the same failings. So, in effect, one will end up changing anything one buys every year or two - in reality renting the facility rather than owning it.

It's much the same for cars these days and for new vehicles, manufacturers seem keen to encourage such a market transition.

My guess is that eventually "the deal" will be more important than the vehicle and its specifications. Not much volume market space left for interesting outliers like Honda. They may need to amalgamate with others.

We should know in the next few years.
Old 30 Nov 2021, 14:58 (Ref:4086008)   #3118
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I think that was the problem John.

With Swindon producing mostly European spec cars, that were of dubious design appeal for the market, plus the R-Types which have been legislated out of the market by emissions regulations, there was little point in having the plant open. I seem to recall that Honda have even pulled back on some operations in China pending expansion of Electric manufacturing.

With so much aggregation going via mergers and partnerships consumer choices will soon be greatly restricted once again. That probably won't matter that much to the coming generations.

Why?

Well, in parallel tale ow woe, our microwave packed up at the weekend. I suspect a dodgy microswitch as the final nail but the touch-control panel has been failing for some months. It's no more than 2 years old. The previous one lasted about 18 months. Same model. "Sharp" (by branding at least) and they used to be rather good.

Looking at possible replacements in the cheap end of the market there are several well-known brand names attached to what appear to be the same products, some with almost no differences in design, some with minor differences some looking quite different with dials and stuff but I rather suspect that all of them have the same component supplier(s) so will likely suffer the same failings. So, in effect, one will end up changing anything one buys every year or two - in reality renting the facility rather than owning it.

It's much the same for cars these days and for new vehicles, manufacturers seem keen to encourage such a market transition.

My guess is that eventually "the deal" will be more important than the vehicle and its specifications. Not much volume market space left for interesting outliers like Honda. They may need to amalgamate with others.

We should know in the next few years.
Re your microwave problem, I don't know how widespread they are but in a couple of places locally we have shops called 'The Repair Cafe'. I think in the main they are staffed by retired or unemployed people who have a skill & you take your broken microwave, TV, whatever to be fixed whilst you have a coffee.

My partner's father is the go-to man in the family for fixing things but occasionally even he is defeated so goes off to The Repair Cafe. He is fascinated to see how things work & could happily sit there all day watching & learning. He will be 91 next week...
Old 30 Nov 2021, 17:56 (Ref:4086033)   #3119
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Re your microwave problem, I don't know how widespread they are but in a couple of places locally we have shops called 'The Repair Cafe'. I think in the main they are staffed by retired or unemployed people who have a skill & you take your broken microwave, TV, whatever to be fixed whilst you have a coffee.

My partner's father is the go-to man in the family for fixing things but occasionally even he is defeated so goes off to The Repair Cafe. He is fascinated to see how things work & could happily sit there all day watching & learning. He will be 91 next week...
Not sure we have any such thing around here. If we did there would probably be a TV program based on it!

The thing is the first one, after a few small and annoying feature drop-offs related to the touchpanel, blew the main component with a loud bang and a little smoke and tripped the entire ring main on the consumer unit. Not sure it would be possible to get the parts for that.

The second one has been repeating trick with the touch panel and then just stopped working. I suspected one of the 3 microswitches on the door as I could sort of get it to power up the fan and the interior light by playing with the lower door switch. Seemed odd to be able to do that.

When, with the cover off, I activated the middle door activated switch by itself it blew the fuse on the mains-in control board.

I think I could get a fuse ... not sure any other parts are available for £60 microwaves. And in any case, as the touch control panels seem to start to fail after about 6 months would there be any point in fitting a new one?

I like the idea of a local fix-it cafe though. So I'll investigate, if only out of interest.

Online reviews seem to suggest that at least 10% of reviewers have had the same experiences. It may be more as few people would bother to return to add a review after a year or so of use.

Might try a local auction house to see if I can get a job lot and make one good one from them with a few spare parts on the side!
Old 30 Nov 2021, 18:53 (Ref:4086043)   #3120
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Not sure we have any such thing around here. If we did there would probably be a TV program based on it!/
I like the idea of a local fix-it cafe though. So I'll investigate, if only out of interest.
Might try a local auction house to see if I can get a job lot and make one good one from them with a few spare parts on the side!
Brilliant idea that fix-it cafe. We have so few here, mainly run by retired or re-tired men. Find the part for your microwave will be the same quest we know with classic cars, if a part is prone to go on hundreds of cars/microwaves its either someone makes it or you wont find a proper one.

John, its a good kick to "notre société d'ultra consommation qui ne repare pas"! Dont throw it, fix it!
Old 30 Nov 2021, 19:12 (Ref:4086046)   #3121
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Not worth for the dedicated thread imo, but…
Le Tour Auto, rallye by Peter Auto, will start on 25 Ap at Paris finishing at Andorre la Vieille 30 Ap. Tracks are Bugatti, Val de Vienne and Nogaro.
Et voila.
Old 30 Nov 2021, 19:24 (Ref:4086049)   #3122
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Brilliant idea that fix-it cafe. We have so few here, mainly run by retired or re-tired men. Find the part for your microwave will be the same quest we know with classic cars, if a part is prone to go on hundreds of cars/microwaves its either someone makes it or you wont find a proper one.
!
The manufacturers have zero interest in making already produced product "fixable" beyond whatever warranty they offer. Even that assumes that a total replacement of the item would be significantly more costly to the profit line than making and carrying stock of spare parts. Most likely it would not.
Old 30 Nov 2021, 19:38 (Ref:4086051)   #3123
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Le Salon Retromobile se tiendra du 2 au 6 Fevrier, porte de Versailles a Paris. Billet acheté sur le site €20, sur place € 24. Nocturnes till 10 PM, mercredi 2 et vendredi 4. Je trouvais que l'entree a € 15 était chère, donc a 24 e sera sans moi. Et voila, c'est fait aussi.
Old 1 Dec 2021, 06:36 (Ref:4086087)   #3124
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nothing to do with historic racing, but some news that will no doubt excite a certain Frenchman here..... a Peugeot has won at Bathurst today and it did so from Pole.
Not the main Supercars race obviously, that is not until Sunday, but it has won the first of the TCR support races.
Fortunately normality has now resumed as the Historic Touring Car Masters are now on track for one of their races.
Old 1 Dec 2021, 07:59 (Ref:4086096)   #3125
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
A Pug in the Bath(urst) who'd have thunk it

need to try and work out how to watch over here, we used to get v8 supercars on TV all the time but it disappeared a few years back along with motors TV.
Closed Thread