Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Nov 2007, 20:34 (Ref:2076013)   #1
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who will get the second Force India seat?

There are quite a few drivers getting a lap or two at the next test, i assume Sutil will be staying for next year so who do you think will get the other seat, should be interesting if they all get a decent crack at it.
Old 26 Nov 2007, 20:56 (Ref:2076023)   #2
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sutil has been confirmed iirc. I would go for Liuzzi
Old 26 Nov 2007, 20:58 (Ref:2076025)   #3
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
As he's a good friend of Vijay Mallya, I'll punt for Ralf. That's if McLaren don't want him, obviously.
Old 26 Nov 2007, 21:26 (Ref:2076046)   #4
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Klien seems to have had the upper hands over the other participants in F1ndia's driver evaluation programme so far, scoring even better times than Sutil. I guess McLaren are closely watching that programme, too, because they still have an empty seat. I seriously doubt, though, that they would prefer a different team's former test driver over their own tester.

And if Renault chooses Alonso and Nelsinho, even Kovalainen might end up driving the old Spyker, because McLaren surely wouldn't want a driver managed by Signore Briatore.
Old 26 Nov 2007, 21:36 (Ref:2076054)   #5
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It will probably be a pay-driver in the second parcel force. Maybe Ralf?

The Ronster would rather take a Kimi-esque gamble (If there's a driver who deserves a straight up jump, albeit a smaller one from British F3, it's Marko Asmer) than get Ralf. It's a minor miracle that his ego can fit in any car.
Old 26 Nov 2007, 21:49 (Ref:2076058)   #6
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
If there's a driver who deserves a straight up jump, albeit a smaller one from British F3, it's Marko Asmer.
Asmer is very good but I wouldn't go as far as that. He dominated the British championship this year, but having four or five seasons in F3 must have given him an advantage. If a driver from that level were to make the step up then I think Romain Grosjean or Sebastien Buemi would be a better bet. Having said that, Buemi has competed in GP2 already.
Old 26 Nov 2007, 22:04 (Ref:2076069)   #7
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the choice of second driver depends on how the team is funded. If sponsorship is not forthcoming or Vijay Mallya does not wish to pump some of his fortune into the team then the likes of Roldan Rodriguez, Farriz Fauzy or Sakon Yamamoto stand a chance of securing the seat. If a larger amount of money can be secured that I suspect that Liuzzi or Klien will be racing. Conversely, if a big sponsor is found of Mallya is willing to significantly fund his team then I suspect that Ralf Schumacher will be racing.
Old 26 Nov 2007, 22:07 (Ref:2076071)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i have a soft spot for Fisi and hope he gets the seat alongside Sutil.
is he still planning to test for them/ in the running?
Old 26 Nov 2007, 22:16 (Ref:2076078)   #9
LadySnowcat
Rookie

LadySnowcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But what about the "It's him or me " ultimatum from Mike Gascoyne?...

One suggestion was that Ralf was instrumental in Mike getting shown the door at Toyota...

So who would you rather have if you were FI?...Mike or Ralf?...
Old 26 Nov 2007, 22:18 (Ref:2076079)   #10
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
I think Romain Grosjean or Sebastien Buemi would be a better bet. .
Grosjean will test for Renault soon, Buemi is with the Red Bull camp, possibly the 3rd driver at Torro Rosso as they seriously lack a Sebastien there

Besides, I dont think Sutil has ever been confirmed by Malaya. He has a contract with Spyker for 2008 and that can be applied with Force India too probably yeah, yet he can still end up basicaly anywhere, I think he is one the drivers depending on Nando's big descision and that wont come before December the 6th.
Old 26 Nov 2007, 22:37 (Ref:2076098)   #11
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought I read Roldan Rodriguez has a contract if his sponsors pay €x.
Old 26 Nov 2007, 23:30 (Ref:2076129)   #12
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller
I thought I read Roldan Rodriguez has a contract if his sponsors pay €x.
Rodriguez apparently has $10m. But given the new owner, and the fact that Force India have been testing with the likes of Liuzzi and Klien I don't think they're looking for pay drivers.
Old 26 Nov 2007, 23:58 (Ref:2076144)   #13
PK Kart
Racer

England
Sussex
PK Kart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySnowcat
But what about the "It's him or me " ultimatum from Mike Gascoyne?...

One suggestion was that Ralf was instrumental in Mike getting shown the door at Toyota...

So who would you rather have if you were FI?...Mike or Ralf?...
Easy... the one that is good at his job. erm am starting to wonder now, who's won more gps, Ralf or Mike? Thats not being nasty, but really, how many gps has Gascoigne won?
Old 27 Nov 2007, 00:53 (Ref:2076166)   #14
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
its's been a while Gascoyne came up with a decent car, and the team dont plan to make a new car for 2008 anyway AND they are dead-last anyway so its hard to see the great loss his departure could mean. If anything it would be a nice budget-saver.

the plan is to come out with some major update around mid-summer (and thats about in September according to the team's calander) now if they want that "new" car to be about 0.5 sec faster than the old one and still be dead-last on the grid Gascoyne can be perfect for that job as thats precisely what he did with the 2007 update too.

I would choose Ralf over Mike anyday TBH.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 01:18 (Ref:2076176)   #15
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
If Adrian Sutil is staying, then I would give Klien the second Spyker seat. Mike Gascoyne is more important to Spyker than Ralf Schumacher IMO...
Old 27 Nov 2007, 02:05 (Ref:2076192)   #16
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
Mike Gascoyne is more important to Spyker than Ralf Schumacher IMO...
At present, it's true. Gascoyne could do more with a half decent driver than Ralf with a novice engineer.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 02:44 (Ref:2076213)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I'm hoping for Christian Klien, but wouldn't be surprised if it's Karan Chanduck (sp??)

As for Ralf, i was under the impression that he was hoping to go to Fifi (Force India) with customer Ferrari's, but obviously customer cars are out of the window in 2008.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 10:03 (Ref:2076334)   #18
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I think Sutil will stay at FI - I'm not convinced that he's in the running for the McLaren drive, and I don't really see him going anywhere else. As for the other seat, it's one of several, so I think it depends on what they're looking for. A pay driver has obvious advantages, but based on the fact that we're seeing Klien, Liuzzi, Ralf, Fisichella etc. being linked with the seat, I'm not sure that's relevant because I can't imagine any of them paying for a drive.

If they want youth, I'd say somebody like Liuzzi would get the drive. If it's experience they're after, then it's Ralf or Fisichella, and as Fisi has been very poor for a number of years, I'd expect them to go for Ralf (unless Gascoyne really has threatened to quit if they sign him, which could throw a spanner in the works - I personally don't think he's come up with the goods recently, but for some reason teams seem to jump at the chance to employ him).
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 27 Nov 2007, 10:14 (Ref:2076342)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If funding is no barrier, Klien offers the best balance between potential, experience and hunger. From the tests he's done so far, he's been on the pace and has probably settled in quite well with the team. Sutil could probably do with a steady guiding hand for a while, ideally from a driver who doesn't mind ultimately not being as fast, which i don't think Klien is. That he is a native German speaker like Sutil could be a bonus, but it could be offset by making it harder to attract sponsors who aren't Indian or Germanic.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 11:28 (Ref:2076377)   #20
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonso11
its's been a while Gascoyne came up with a decent car
The 2005 Toyota wasnt half bad. If Ferrari hadnt of hauled in 18 points at Indy, Toyota would have been ahead of them and 3rd in the WCC in 2005. If management didnt make the daft decision to go to Bridgestones whilst the TF106 was being built around Michelins, they might have had a chance of capitalizing on it.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 13:04 (Ref:2076435)   #21
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
If it's experience they're after, then it's Ralf or Fisichella, and as Fisi has been very poor for a number of years, I'd expect them to go for Ralf
I'd say Ralf has been very poor for a number of years too, I really don't think that FI will gain much by employing either Ralf or Fisi - they're both at the wrong end of their career, will either really be all that motivated? Klien or Liuzzi would be a better bet - they've got F1 race experience and something to prove.

If it was a straight Ralf or Fisi choice - I'd take Fisi. No contest.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 13:10 (Ref:2076442)   #22
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 27 Nov 2007, 13:18 (Ref:2076450)   #23
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
The 2005 Toyota wasnt half bad.
Yea, from another point of view tho, he spent 3 years (of which he was supsensed for 6 months) with the team that have the best resources and the bigest budget and he achieved 5 podiums (other teams with that sort of budget can do that in 3-4 races), no victories and a 4th place in consturctors.

Im not saying he is bad or anything, but Force India is dead-last (partly because his long awaited 2007 update didnt quite set the world alight) and they are not planning a new car for 2008, so there isnt an awful lot to suggest they are moving ahead. If Gascoyne said good-bye because of Ralf's arival, take his salery spend it on testing, give the job for some relatively new face with a fresh aproach and a lot of motivation and what can go wrong? Could they be any worse?
Old 27 Nov 2007, 13:37 (Ref:2076475)   #24
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
I really don't think that FI will gain much by employing either Ralf or Fisi
Same things were said about Coulthard (who's hardly beaten a lot of his team-mates and spent like a decade with the very top teams) yet he proved himself to be a great asset for a privateer like Red Bull, he was surprisingly racey and simply good to watch for a number of occasions.

We've seen what good for nothing guys (like Albers) and absolute rookies (like Sutil) can do with that car and how they "develop" it, lets see what Fisi or Ralf can do I'd say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
If it was a straight Ralf or Fisi choice - I'd take Fisi. No contest.
Its more of a tough call, than your post would suggest it is I think, the two were quite evenly matched at Jordan back in the days. Both have a great deal of experience and races to remember. Based on results its probably Ralf I'd pick, based on the fact how Fisi can be particulary good working for backmakers and in no-pressure enviroments it's him.

Worth to notice how good he was when Renault was a dog, first half of 2007. Constantly scored the points and in Monaco he did a heluva drive. I think all he needs is no presure, no expectation and off he performs.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 14:05 (Ref:2076501)   #25
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well no-one expects much from him nowadays, so maybe he should be performing better