Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Oct 2013, 05:52 (Ref:3323503)   #1
grange54
Rookie

Australia
Victoria
grange54 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Time for Surfers Paradise to go????

Is it is time that this event either go or major changes to the track.
In excess of $1m of damage to cars, I doubt that many of the teams that have suffered these high damage expenses can afford them.
Just asking the question.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 06:03 (Ref:3323504)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i quite like it, racing is always interesting

great place to go as a spectator, because you get a holiday in surfers
Old 27 Oct 2013, 07:45 (Ref:3323527)   #3
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
i quite like it, racing is always interesting

great place to go as a spectator, because you get a holiday in surfers
Agreed-as a UK fan-always wanted to go there-I reckon its the best circuit in Australia.maybe drivers need to learn to drive
Old 27 Oct 2013, 10:49 (Ref:3323586)   #4
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Out of interest, are these cars insured? If so, what is the excess? $100k?
Old 27 Oct 2013, 10:55 (Ref:3323588)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I think my daughter would like to see it go, she was online last night moaning about the traffic problems it's causing.
As for damage, most of what I saw was caused by the raised curbs at the chicane, why put them there when the drivers don't seem to slow down anyway?
Keep the race, until at least I get out there to watch it.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 14:25 (Ref:3323671)   #6
Bell_End
Racer

Jamaica
Church Tower
Bell_End should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grange54 View Post
Is it is time that this event either go or major changes to the track.
In excess of $1m of damage to cars, I doubt that many of the teams that have suffered these high damage expenses can afford them.
Just asking the question.

Do we have a reliable sauce for that damage estimate? They all love to talk it up IMO.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 20:16 (Ref:3323832)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by puma View Post
deleted post
Well, that was polite - not! 20 posts in, you might like to try being a little nicer.

So why does this course cause more damage than other street courses? I think around Surfers, to be quick you need both aggression and pin-point accuracy. Perhaps one or two drivers are being found out?

Last edited by garcon; 27 Oct 2013 at 23:49.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 20:33 (Ref:3323841)   #8
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The damage bill is talked about at all street circuits. Nothing new there.

I think the track needs some alterations and refinement, just as they did to Adelaide. I'd like to see it opened up a bit more.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 21:58 (Ref:3323890)   #9
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I think my daughter would like to see it go, she was online last night moaning about the traffic problems it's causing.
As for damage, most of what I saw was caused by the raised curbs at the chicane, why put them there when the drivers don't seem to slow down anyway?
Keep the race, until at least I get out there to watch it.
YOU have better hurry Tim contract renewed for 3 more years only a couple of months back.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 22:43 (Ref:3323909)   #10
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best solution if possible is to extend it back to Indy spec same with Adelaide too, extended to F1 specs.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 22:46 (Ref:3323911)   #11
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPA View Post
The best solution if possible is to extend it back to Indy spec same with Adelaide too, extended to F1 specs.
do either of them stop the damage? No!
Old 27 Oct 2013, 23:04 (Ref:3323919)   #12
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really thought the new format of continuing with the co-drivers from Sandown and Bathurst is a great idea rather than the lucky dip of the internationals. Hope they stick with it.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 23:18 (Ref:3323927)   #13
GROUPA
Racer

Quote:
do either of them stop the damage? No!
No, but with more track there could be more passing possabilities - yes more accidents too but there has got to be more room to race as well.

Ever raced yourself ? It's one of the reasons why we like the extended tracks more
Old 27 Oct 2013, 23:47 (Ref:3323943)   #14
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Someone mentioned not so long ago about DTM switching to shorter track variations, to keep the cars closer, the fans closer, and that it looked better on the Teev.

I think the theory has some merrit, but I'm a bit of a tradionalist though.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 00:45 (Ref:3323968)   #15
GROUPA
Racer

We need something like the Avus track or Norsing also make Albert Park a championship event.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 02:44 (Ref:3323997)   #16
Bell_End
Racer

Jamaica
Church Tower
Bell_End should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Someone mentioned not so long ago about DTM switching to shorter track variations, to keep the cars closer, the fans closer, and that it looked better on the Teev.

I think the theory has some merrit, but I'm a bit of a tradionalist though.

and more laps per set race distance means the fans get to see more.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 05:48 (Ref:3324038)   #17
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can they do something about the kerb hopping, it was disgraceful the way justabout every car was doing it nearly every lap, Turn 1 was especially bad....

...perhaps restore the kerbing to something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaAdsfvscLs
Old 28 Oct 2013, 07:01 (Ref:3324056)   #18
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Can they do something about the kerb hopping, it was disgraceful the way justabout every car was doing it nearly every lap, Turn 1 was especially bad....

...perhaps restore the kerbing to something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaAdsfvscLs

BORING...leave the kerbs, and leave Indycrap back where they belong, in America.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 08:28 (Ref:3324085)   #19
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is a lot wrong with this event.

The track being a car destroyer is the least of these problems.

The Sunday crowd this year was way down on 2012, it was not one of V8 Supercars brightest ideas to pursue an extension of it's contract for this money losing event.

If the race must continue it should do away with the two driver format and shorten the races.

Worldwide exposure for the Gold Coast and Queensland is basically zero without a major International category, the return of Indycar or perhaps TUSCC would ensure great exposure in the US and fill up a lot more accommodation in the economically depressed Gold Coast.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 09:21 (Ref:3324116)   #20
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's one of my favorite tracks on the schedule, I love seeing the cars on two wheels coming off the curbs. These rough street circuits are really what made me fall in love with the series, and while the new cars don't quite "dance" as well as the old ones did, as an American a roaring V8 powered full size sedan on two wheels is about as good as it gets when it comes to racing imagery.

I think I'd like the idea of placing tractor/loader tires to keep them from taking too much curb. They are just as likely as concrete to take you out of the race, but don't obstruct the view as much and would still have some give for safety concerns. While I love aggressive use of curbs, I don't really like it so much when track boundaries aren't respected. These guys are supposed to be professionals, so "don't hit the big things on the inside of the chicanes" shouldn't be too tough of an ask. I thought Moffat's comment about the chicanes being a game of "how much **** you can take" was pretty spot on

If not that, then the system from Adelaide that pings the drivers for taking too much curb, and only allow them so many times before drive-throughs start rolling in.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 09:46 (Ref:3324128)   #21
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
BORING...leave the kerbs
Drivers cheating at every chicane is exciting??
Old 28 Oct 2013, 21:34 (Ref:3324447)   #22
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
The Sunday crowd this year was way down on 2012, it was not one of V8 Supercars brightest ideas to pursue an extension of it's contract for this money losing event.
Was the crowd really that low?

Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
Worldwide exposure for the Gold Coast and Queensland is basically zero without a major International category, the return of Indycar or perhaps TUSCC would ensure great exposure in the US and fill up a lot more accommodation in the economically depressed Gold Coast.
If they could get Indycar back that would be a shot in the arm for the event and with the proposed Indycar off season - october or november scheduling wouldnt be an issue.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 22:10 (Ref:3324467)   #23
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Was the crowd really that low?

If they could get Indycar back that would be a shot in the arm for the event and with the proposed Indycar off season - october or november scheduling wouldnt be an issue.
Total crowd was bigger than last year, which was bigger than the year before
Old 29 Oct 2013, 07:32 (Ref:3324598)   #24
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
they can't even fill seats in America (bar 1 race), Indycrap is dying a slow death, the cars are ugly, the drivers are amateurish, and the tracks are boring. If they were to come back there, watch the crowds disappear. Indycars are the povo version of F1.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 09:11 (Ref:3324620)   #25
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Total crowd was bigger than last year, which was bigger than the year before
Where did you get your figures?
Local sources are quoting a total weekend crowd of just over 175000 against 182000 last year. They are blaming reduced grandstand space because of track work on the light rail.
A fairly significant business figure told me it was a bit rich. A present and future disaster being blamed by an old disaster for making things worse.
By the way this guy was a big supporter of the event when it was open wheelers.
Personally I doubt if the current Indy circus could attract crowds like the Champcars did.
The problem with the current event is not so much car destruction as the fact that it is nit delivering the crowds of visitors, the big spenders or the International TV coverage. And those are the reasons for it being subsidised and it isn't working. It has in fact become a drag on business rather than a boost.