Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 29 Nov 2004, 21:15 (Ref:1167412)   #1
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Graham Hill

November 29 1975 – a horribly foggy night over London, claimed the life of one of the all-time greats, Graham Hill, plus a future champion in Tony Brise, and the nucleus of Hill’s F1 team.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 21:23 (Ref:1167419)   #2
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Graham Hill

I cannot believe its been twenty nine years since Graham Hill was killed in a plane crash, along with rising star Tony Brise. I remember hearing it on the radio on the way home after visiting relations. Graham was my first motor racing hero and always be my favourite driver.

Steve B
Old 30 Nov 2004, 05:15 (Ref:1167641)   #3
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
I was in hospital have a slightly broken leg fixed! (yes a racing accident), and now I live just round the corner from Elstree Airfield were it all happened.
Old 30 Nov 2004, 07:15 (Ref:1167695)   #4
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So very sad.......

I still vaguely remember the news footage, foggy lanes etc AFAIR the plane was taking off and barely made it over a public road at the end of the runway....Graham Hill was a tremendous ambassador for the sport...

Last edited by 275 GTB-4; 30 Nov 2004 at 07:17.
Old 30 Nov 2004, 07:29 (Ref:1167710)   #5
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Re: So very sad.......

Quote:
Originally posted by 275 GTB-4
I still vaguely remember the news footage, foggy lanes etc AFAIR the plane was taking off and barely made it over a public road at the end of the runway....Graham Hill was a tremendous ambassador for the sport...
I may be mistaken but did they not crash on a golf course while trying to land?
Old 30 Nov 2004, 08:25 (Ref:1167757)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One of the greats, on and off the track, without a doubt. Certainly one of my racing hero's, along with Stirling.
Old 30 Nov 2004, 18:47 (Ref:1168256)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was definitely while attempting to land.
Old 30 Nov 2004, 23:14 (Ref:1168437)   #8
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
It was definitely while attempting to land.
Yes. They were returning from Paul Ricard after testing the new Embassy Hill car.

Steve B
Old 1 Dec 2004, 09:02 (Ref:1168706)   #9
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank You One and All

Now that we have confirmed my recall of the story is flawed....can we get back to honouring the memory of a great man? (please???)

Last edited by 275 GTB-4; 1 Dec 2004 at 09:03.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 10:30 (Ref:1168817)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I know exactrly where I was and what I was doing when the radio announced it.

Still feel sad about it.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 15:09 (Ref:1169045)   #11
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll never forget that morning. It was the day before my 8th birthday and I was a huge Graham Hill fan. I was getting ready for school and it was the first headline on LBC radio.

Desparately sad. Graham was one of the most charismatic of drivers and doubly worth celebrating because of his tenacious determination to learn from such a late start.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 17:12 (Ref:1169128)   #12
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A tragedy for the sport, not just the loss of Graham, but also the loss of Tony Brise who would surely have gone on to win many races, hopefully at the wheel of one of Graham's cars
Old 7 Dec 2004, 15:31 (Ref:1173527)   #13
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
King of Monaco

I was very lucky to have been at Monaco in 1968 when Graham won his fifth GP there. His car control was superb and his mastery of the circuit without question. His team mate in '68 was Jackie Oliver who was in a 'standrad' Lotus 49 - Hill was in the radical 49B. During practice Oliver was well off the pace and to ensure it was not the car Chapman sent Hill out. Graham was several seconds quicker than his novice team mate proving that it was Oliver's inexperience that was the problem.

Graham was always a delight to meet once the race was over however shortly before the off was not the time to ask for an aurtograph!

The current crop of Formula One Taxi Drivers are insipid in comparison to this larger than life character. Not only was Graham Hill missed on the circuits but also in the Paddocks.