Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Apr 2002, 20:58 (Ref:260345)   #1
Bibendum
Racer

Bibendum should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sulky boy.

Let me say, as a preface, that I think Ralf is obviously quick and competent, and his repeated appearance on the podium is no accident, and that he probably did as much as he could to get by his brother in Brasil.

That said...

Any notion that Ralf is devoid of personality can now be laid to rest. He most certainly has a personality -- that of a rather spoiled and petulant boy. His demeanour on the podium would have been comical if it hadn't been so graceless, considering how many other drivers would have been happy to take his place.

But in the Press Room...whew. I watched my tape of it, without sound, to make sure I wasn't being unkind in my analysis. Ralf's body language was that of a small boy who hasn't been allowed to play with the bigger boys, and who is now forced to be on his best behaviour because the grown-ups are watching.

It can't be easy to be Michael's brother; it probably isn't a joyride having Juan Pablo as one's team-mate; and it must be startling to find that, on a track where Ferrari had announced they feared Williams would go very quickly, both MS and Rubens simply went ahead at will. And these guys, all of them, are driven to win, and I'm sure that anything less seems like a failure, especially when one seems to have the equipment and talent to achieve it. However, does it seem to anyone else here that Ralf might approach the set-back with a little more poise?

Watching him, I could even see him doing a sort of "look how I'm putting a brave face on it!" act, with a tortured smile as he muttered with downcast eyes barely visible under the bill of his hat; and then the grimaces and scrunched up noses (well, only one nose, in truth); and, the grand finale, that lovely bitten lower lip -- which was all but trembling, I think, at the miserable injustice of coming only third!

Alas, poor Ralf. As I said, I think he's a talented driver; I don't think, with this sort of attitude, he has what it would take to be a very worthy world champion.

I note, though, that Michael is being justly abused for his car-switch; and I intend to read that thread more thoroughly. Pretty remarkable. Maybe the toys that had to be put back into Michael's pram are those which Ralf wasn't allowed to play with...?

Last edited by Bibendum; 14 Apr 2002 at 21:00.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 21:08 (Ref:260354)   #2
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great post, Bibendum, it makes me wish I had watched a little more closely. I do think there is a shortage of Gentlemen in F1 though. Unfortunately, the degree of scrutiny that these guys are subjected to would be withering to the likes of you and me. I doubt I could be very poised when faced with disappointment on World-Wide TV.

In the years before the televised Press Conferences, we never saw how they were reacting. But certainly, in the Senna/Prost/Mansell era, everyone was pretty glum upon the Podium. It wasn't until TGF appeared on the scene that we saw anty joy on the Poduim at all.

I HAVE heard several people say that they believe that Ralf would be a worthy Champion. But like you, I have always ythought he had a bit of a petulant streak, (though I like him anyway)
Old 14 Apr 2002, 21:15 (Ref:260365)   #3
Bibendum
Racer

I guess it's true, my desire for cheer on the podium is perhaps unreasonable, and doesn't have much historical precedent. I was not a regular viewer in the days of Prost and Senna, though I'd have been interested to see them at daggers drawn. One thing I do like about MS is that he really does seem to enjoy being there; I wanted someone to tickled that damned Kimi on the podium in Australia, just to get a smile out of him. Speaking of which, I enjoyed seeing Rory Byrne wearing the tropy as an anti-Mumms device -- that had some style and amusement value.

It's very, um, middle-class and English of me to want everyone to be nice and cheerful under duress, I suspect, and in truth I do value passion and commitment. But really, one of the things I like about DC is he seems, mostly, to combine a degree of bluntness and realism with a wry sense of humour.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 21:51 (Ref:260390)   #4
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would love to add weight to this one. But I had had enough by the end of the race and went to bed (it being after 1am on a Monday morning) so I missed the podium and the press conference.

I don't know why Ralf would be dispirited. He is doing far better than I believed he ever would. First non red car home.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 22:07 (Ref:260403)   #5
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf has just realised that his chances of being WDC in 2002 have just slipped a little furthur away from him. He has every right to be dissapointed and he's not obligated to hide it.

It must be frustrating to give everything you've got, only to end up a distant 3rd behind what is unarguably the best all-around and most domiant team this year.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 00:04 (Ref:260480)   #6
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah this is a good post Bib...I agree that Ralf needs to put things into perspective a little more...like the fact that there are so many other drivers out there with talent far exceeding his that would die to make it on the podium!

But I can see why he would be disappointed.. he wants to be fighting for the championship and TGF looks like he may run away with it yet again this year...yawwwwwwwnnn and more races like this one today yawwwwwwnnn.....but Ralphy did look like a big fat gerber baby up there today!
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 01:44 (Ref:260558)   #7
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Halfie must have been still eating his humble pay for his "I would like to have my own Rubens" statement. Probably Rubens showed him the middle finger in their way to the press room.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 02:01 (Ref:260564)   #8
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Ralf did ok in the post race con. When the questions moved from Micheal to Ralf, Ralf gave a smile to Micheal, not one of sadness but one that a bro gives a bro or a friend a friend.

cant remember his antics on the podium but will watch the tape again latter.
Could it be he was buggered?
Old 15 Apr 2002, 02:04 (Ref:260566)   #9
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, maybe Montoya would have been much happier than Ralf to finish in 3rd but thats because Montoya doesent have a shot at the title.

Ralf on the other hand is looking for a championship and he had every right not to be happy with 3rd. He wanted to win - and he was obviously disappointed that his car wasnt good enough today. Simple.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 09:16 (Ref:260752)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Altering the topic just a tiny bit here. Has anyone else noticed that when the drivers attend the press briefing after leaving the rostrum, they have clean overals on? Also, have you noticed how the sleeves of their overalls appear to be different from their race overals in that they always 'twist' to show the sponsors logo's on the sleeves?

I noticed this after Brazil and thought I was being daft (no comments please), but then noticed it again yesterday after San Marino. All the sponsors logos on Ralphs sleeves had were clearly visible. In normal circumstances the sleeve logos wouldn't be facing the camera in such a way?
Old 15 Apr 2002, 10:16 (Ref:260797)   #11
wheelie
Rookie

wheelie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it must be very frustrating to him to realize that the ferraris are so much better and the next races are typical ferrari tracks so he loose his vision of wdc .
But Ralfie go go....

Last edited by wheelie; 15 Apr 2002 at 10:17.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 10:38 (Ref:260810)   #12
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
stephen green, they actually put a jacket on that looks like the top half of their overalls. mclaren started this a few years ago,and quite frankly i'm surprised ferrari didnt try to have these banned as well.!!!!!
anyway, halfie should realise by now that he is lucky to be in the williams and that maybe it is his driving that is lacking, not the car!!!
Old 15 Apr 2002, 10:55 (Ref:260830)   #13
strad
Veteran

strad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll have to watch for it to see, but what I've seen lately general lack of what we used to call decorum.
Has anybody else noticed the chatting and such that often occurs during the playing of the anthems? Does it bother anyone else?
I think it's wrong,,but then I'm old fashioned.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 12:44 (Ref:261008)   #14
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by calais
stephen green, they actually put a jacket on that looks like the top half of their overalls. mclaren started this a few years ago,and quite frankly i'm surprised ferrari didnt try to have these banned as well.!!!!!
anyway, halfie should realise by now that he is lucky to be in the williams and that maybe it is his driving that is lacking, not the car!!!
Ralf drove such a bad race today it is unbelivable. The williams is so vastly superior to any car out there and his teammate lapped him so many times. I shall get Ralf removed imediatlly from the number 3 car.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 13:02 (Ref:261041)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Now now chaps, calm down, no in fighting!
Old 15 Apr 2002, 13:19 (Ref:261059)   #16
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Champ69

Ralf drove such a bad race today it is unbelivable. The williams is so vastly superior to any car out there and his teammate lapped him so many times. I shall get Ralf removed imediatlly from the number 3 car.
you do that!!!!!!!
Old 15 Apr 2002, 13:28 (Ref:261073)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Thanks for the info on the jacket Calais, I was beginning to think my eyes were deceiving me for a minute!
Old 15 Apr 2002, 13:41 (Ref:261096)   #18
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah the jackets are strange.... aren't the sponsors logos much bigger on them too so that they are easier to see????...anything to please those spoonsors I guess!
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 15:29 (Ref:261204)   #19
Bibendum
Racer

There's *tons* of room on Rubens' forehead, and Michael's chin, and on what, for want of a better term, we might call DC's "neck", for further sponsorship stuff. I'm surprised nobody has exploited these huge expanses of uncommitted real estate.

I'm glad this jacket stuff was pointed out, though; I had the impression that Ralf's arms had been reattached at an odd angle... Now I know what I was seeing.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 16:09 (Ref:261228)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Bibendum

I had the impression that Ralf's arms had been reattached at an odd angle
now, thats something to get upset about!! seriously though, i see on autosport.com that rafe says that he was actually depressed by yesterdays result!
Old 16 Apr 2002, 00:29 (Ref:261612)   #21
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by calais

Hey calais, maybe Humty-Dumpty-Monty should be the one who considers himself lucky to be in the Williams. Sucking up to Patrick helps - but it wont help him forever.
Old 16 Apr 2002, 00:56 (Ref:261636)   #22
rollhoop
Rookie

rollhoop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^^^ JPM is a far superior talent to TGF2
Old 16 Apr 2002, 01:05 (Ref:261643)   #23
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bibendum

I'm glad this jacket stuff was pointed out, though; I had the impression that Ralf's arms had been reattached at an odd angle... Now I know what I was seeing.
Its pretty apparent that there is a sort of hard plastic or cardboard insert to stiffen the lower sleeves and to present the sponsors logos at a more advantageous angle to the camera.

How many dollars of research were required to come up with the proper shape and angle?

LAso, Its funny to think that they're soaked with champagne and yet appear moments later in clean and dry tops.
The ugly PR machine rolls on.

Last edited by EERO; 16 Apr 2002 at 01:07.
Old 16 Apr 2002, 03:04 (Ref:261716)   #24
Bibendum
Racer

EERO,

The stiffeners are, of course, made out of a carbon fibre composite material with precisely defined contours within FIA regulations.
Old 16 Apr 2002, 07:03 (Ref:261781)   #25
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
And are subject to stringent crash tests in case they fall off the table during the interview.