Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Jan 2006, 00:19 (Ref:1494477)   #1
shambles
Veteran
 
shambles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
England
Soton, UK
Posts: 1,119
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two Circuit Questions

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering whether anyone has any information on the proposed New York Grand Prix in 1983 I believe (please, correct me if i'm wrong). What the situation was etc, did it get on the calendar, and whether there was a continual story up untill it got replaced.

And, why was one year the Monaco pit-lane placed just beyond the Nouvelle Chicane?

Many Thanks

Paul
shambles is offline  
__________________
I've just signed for MasterCard Lola....
Quote
Old 4 Jan 2006, 10:33 (Ref:1494661)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran
 
John Turner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Posts: 13,136
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Paul, I think I can answer the second question, from Alex Rollo's book, 'The Monaco Grand Prix'. There were significant changes made to the circuit for 1972 and one of them was to move the pits from behind the Gasworks area to beyond the chicane. This allowed more room for the mechanics to work and was altogether an improvement. However, it did not go down well with the paying spectators, and following the 1972 race, further redevelopment of the circuit saw the pits area occupying 'the old road from Tabac to the Gasworks Hairpin' for 1973.
John Turner is offline  
Quote
Old 4 Jan 2006, 12:17 (Ref:1494747)   #3
Rob29
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Posts: 3,338
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-1
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering whether anyone has any information on the proposed New York Grand Prix in 1983 I believe (please, correct me if i'm wrong). What the situation was etc, did it get on the calendar, and whether there was a continual story up untill it got replaced.



Paul
I believe it was on the calendar at some stage 3 years running-83-85? Political problems meant it never happened.I recall a TV in car film of the circuit which was in a park and included a hump back bridge.10yrs later CART scheduled a race around the World Trade Centrer,and this suffered the same problems.
Rob29 is offline  
__________________
Do it in the streets!
Quote
Old 4 Jan 2006, 12:54 (Ref:1494772)   #4
Rob29
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Posts: 3,338
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
I believe it was on the calendar at some stage 3 years running-83-85? Political problems meant it never happened.I recall a TV in car film of the circuit which was in a park and included a hump back bridge.10yrs later CART scheduled a race around the World Trade Centrer,and this suffered the same problems.
Flushing Meadow.
Rob29 is offline  
__________________
Do it in the streets!
Quote
Old 4 Jan 2006, 23:03 (Ref:1495143)   #5
shambles
Veteran
 
shambles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
England
Soton, UK
Posts: 1,119
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Paul, I think I can answer the second question, from Alex Rollo's book, 'The Monaco Grand Prix'. There were significant changes made to the circuit for 1972 and one of them was to move the pits from behind the Gasworks area to beyond the chicane. This allowed more room for the mechanics to work and was altogether an improvement. However, it did not go down well with the paying spectators, and following the 1972 race, further redevelopment of the circuit saw the pits area occupying 'the old road from Tabac to the Gasworks Hairpin' for 1973.
Thankyou very much John, I was very intrigued to see it on a racingcircuits.net map, and had never seen any images of a different pitlane. Thanks very much for that John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
I believe it was on the calendar at some stage 3 years running-83-85? Political problems meant it never happened.I recall a TV in car film of the circuit which was in a park and included a hump back bridge.10yrs later CART scheduled a race around the World Trade Centrer,and this suffered the same problems.
Many thanks to you also Rob, I was particularly puzzled in regards to hearing that it was on the calendar for mumorous years. A hump back bridge, wow that's pretty crazy - I think i've seen a map of the circuit, next to the tennis stadium?

PAUL
shambles is offline  
__________________
I've just signed for MasterCard Lola....
Quote
Old 5 Jan 2006, 09:15 (Ref:1495308)   #6
Rob29
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Posts: 3,338
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-1
Thankyou very much John, I was very intrigued to see it on a racingcircuits.net map, and had never seen any images of a different pitlane. Thanks very much for that John.



Many thanks to you also Rob, I was particularly puzzled in regards to hearing that it was on the calendar for mumorous years. A hump back bridge, wow that's pretty crazy - I think i've seen a map of the circuit, next to the tennis stadium?

PAUL
Hi Paul.Not sure I am allowed to mention the other place where history is discussed but there is an italian guy who posts there and has detailed this history of cancellations in F1.
Rob29 is offline  
__________________
Do it in the streets!
Quote
Old 5 Jan 2006, 09:39 (Ref:1495326)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran
 
John Turner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Posts: 13,136
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rob, you can paste a link in if it takes us direct to the thread discussing the subject which is also being discussed here.
John Turner is offline  
Quote
Old 5 Jan 2006, 10:38 (Ref:1495383)   #8
shambles
Veteran
 
shambles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
England
Soton, UK
Posts: 1,119
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Rob,

I believe the gentleman you are talking about is Guido de Carli? (sp? if he reads this, apologies if I have mispelt your name?)

He has been very helpful on other matters before, so please - if possible could you post the link.

Many thanks mate.

Paul
shambles is offline  
__________________
I've just signed for MasterCard Lola....
Quote
Old 5 Jan 2006, 11:07 (Ref:1495413)   #9
Rob29
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Posts: 3,338
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-1
Hi Rob,

I believe the gentleman you are talking about is Guido de Carli? (sp? if he reads this, apologies if I have mispelt your name?)

He has been very helpful on other matters before, so please - if possible could you post the link.

Many thanks mate.

Paul
http://forums.autosport.com/showthre...ork+Grand+Prix

Hope that works.
Rob29 is offline  
__________________
Do it in the streets!
Quote
Old 5 Jan 2006, 12:09 (Ref:1495464)   #10
shambles
Veteran
 
shambles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
England
Soton, UK
Posts: 1,119
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks mate!

Paul
shambles is offline  
__________________
I've just signed for MasterCard Lola....
Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
questions V8_TURBO My Track Designs 7 8 Apr 2006 18:14
Some questions...just to mke sure~ Gt_R Formula One 68 5 Apr 2003 19:36
new here have some questions! sneiser Racers Forum 15 31 Oct 2002 22:13
Just a few questions Jared Racing Technology 9 19 Feb 2001 20:00


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2021 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2021-2022 Grant MacDonald. All Rights Reserved.