Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Jun 2002, 08:41 (Ref:317393)   #1
green-blood
Rookie

green-blood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heritage Grand Touring Car Challenge -BTCC

howdy

Its tough being a classics or racing fan in Ireland, other than keeping the newsagent in bizness buying Motorsport we get little actual action. I've made a couple of trips to Goodwood which will live long in the memory but this weekend the BTCC is coming to Mondello park just outside Dublin. So we're off.

The Heritage Grand Touring Car Challenge is supporting this, all that I do know is that superbike racer Aaron Slight is guesting a Mustang GT350 - do you guys know any other of this line up - I can't wait to hear REAL engines at full tilt!!!

"sideways to victory"
Old 20 Jun 2002, 09:24 (Ref:317424)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Welcome to the forum. Yes, I'm looking forward to the Heritage Challenge race this weekend too. The last one at Oulton Park was awesome.

No idea which of the entrants are planning to make the trip, but the grid is very heavy with Aston Martins, so expect some quick, well set-up DB4s and V8s. At least three Mustangs are regular visitors, 1964 notchbacks as well as Ralph Avis' GT350, and there are also examples of Sunbeam Tiger, Lotus Cortina. Jag Mk2 and Mini Cooper. One of our forum members, Stacy Vickers, ran his Mazda RX-7 at Oulton. Doing the trip, Stacy?
Old 20 Jun 2002, 09:41 (Ref:317437)   #3
green-blood
Rookie

great, that sounds like a nice mix in the lineup, any Alfa GTAs in there,a personal fav.

I hope yee enjoy the trip and the weather improves a bit, its been atrocious over hear all summer...oh and that the racing can cheer yee all up when Brazil win 2moro

c ya there

Last edited by green-blood; 20 Jun 2002 at 09:42.
Old 20 Jun 2002, 11:11 (Ref:317500)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Simon Drabble is yer man for the Alfa. He races an example (not sure if its a GTa though) in the Top Hat challenge).
Old 20 Jun 2002, 11:19 (Ref:317506)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by green-blood
..oh and that the racing can cheer yee all up when Brazil win 2moro

c ya there
Just noticed this.

I'm currently working in a pretty remote part of the world. We have All races from the British Isles (which geographically includes Ireland). We were all - English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish rooting for Ireland the other day and yet I find it pretty small minded of our fellow islanders that because its England who are the only ones left with any kind of chance the only supporters are the English.

I'm sure you only meant it in jest but I'm personally fed up with jibes like that. England is now representing the British Isles and we should all be supportive.

Off topic sorry.
Old 20 Jun 2002, 13:26 (Ref:317616)   #6
green-blood
Rookie

eh sorry

my mistake I shouldn't bring up football on a motorforum - twas a "joke", d'ya remember them, BL, Maestro, stuff like that....

The British Isles are also part of Europe - but no chance of any of yee supporting Germany against USA... If I was so anti British would I be going to the British Touring Car Championship this weekend...take it easy have a caramel...
Old 20 Jun 2002, 13:32 (Ref:317620)   #7
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Green-blood, did you realise that a large contingent of the Maestro Enthusiasts Club are making their way to Mondello on Saturday???

And you think I'm kidding.....!

Back on topic, I don't think Simon was planning to run in the Heritage Challenge series the last I heard. His Alfa (GT Junior, I thought - help me out here Simon) is very straight, very stock, very pretty, and I'm not sure some of the other rock-apes out there would look after it terribly well. The Top Hat is what it does best in at the moment.
Old 20 Jun 2002, 13:39 (Ref:317624)   #8
green-blood
Rookie

I gotta stop making enemies....
Old 20 Jun 2002, 13:47 (Ref:317627)   #9
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
No worries, mate - Hey, you joined 10-tenths and the first thing you did was post in the Historic department.

That's what I call class.
Old 20 Jun 2002, 13:52 (Ref:317634)   #10
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's Maestro and Montego Owners Club to you, Tim, and Chris and I are merely 1/100th of the membership
Old 20 Jun 2002, 14:07 (Ref:317644)   #11
green-blood
Rookie

I promise to bring an extra large pack of filler so you can patch them Montegos up for the journey home!! can there really be 300 of them on the road still!!!

I assume yee are camping over here - be warned Mondello is out in the country a bit, not a huge amount of local ammenities...

Me I'm a classic nut, I want an Alfa Guilia GT Junior, I'm negotiating a Minor, I have a 1986 Saab 900 in the Garden being repaired to become a daily driver and I drive around ina Fiesta (ok no-ones perfect, them Maestro boys will love that) Motorsport is my bible and Amazon.co.uk are the main reason my credit card is maxed...so thats me
Old 20 Jun 2002, 15:08 (Ref:317668)   #12
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's Maestro girls to you And at least one of mine (I have 3!) certainly does NOT need filler! Can PM proof if required!
Old 20 Jun 2002, 16:28 (Ref:317709)   #13
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You are in for a treat Green-Blood! Those historic cars are great! A lot of them were in action recently at the AMOC Snett meeting. I was fortunate enough to watch from the post on the inside of Coram - loads of sideways drifts!!
As usual we are spoilt for choice - it's the HSCC Superprix at Brands but I have committments at the F3/GT Combe meeting
but want to do both. Then there is the Snetterton classic next week. Can't wait!
Old 20 Jun 2002, 16:31 (Ref:317710)   #14
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter, at the risk of hijacking this thread and just to compound your annoyance with the footballing comment, particularly as it is also something that REALLY p*sses me off aswell, last night on BBC1 news they showed a pub in Scotland full of Scots cheering the Argies against England - not in kilts, but actually wearing Argentina shirts with Maradona on the back !! Unbelievable !! BTW I was cheering my socks off for the Irish on Sunday against Spain.....

Last edited by Slowcoach; 20 Jun 2002 at 16:32.
Old 20 Jun 2002, 21:03 (Ref:317861)   #15
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
Stacy Vickers, ran his Mazda RX-7 at Oulton. Doing the trip, Stacy?
There's some fantastic kit there of all shapes and sizes, so should be a good show. Some of it is ludicrously quick too, and I can say it was an honour to have my doors blown off by Andy Rouse in a monstrous Camaro..

Bear in mind it's invite only, and I was only asked to the meeting because they were short of numbers - they really want older cars, or even better cars owned by customers of the organizers. Some of them were grim mind you, not the standard of prep one expects at a BTCC meeting.

So a mixed bag really, good cars, **** cars, and more of an organized competitive procession for an old boys network than a real race I think - but entertaining anyway.

They treated us well though, hospitality, timed test day, two races, two qualifiers, champagne on the podium and a trophy, and all for free. Can't be bad.

No, entertaining it was, but I can't see me getting another call.

Instead I've been testing at Snetterton playing with suspension mods - and found another decent lump of time. Couldn't quite believe the homework on graph paper told the truth!

Looking forward to the Snetterton Classic on the Saturday at the end of the month where I'll find everyone else has found 2s..

Stacy
Old 21 Jun 2002, 03:28 (Ref:318018)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ah Testing and all that time. It'd be nice to do that myself.

Anyway. Your point about a procession for an "old boys" network reflects my thoughts about the old Silverstone Historic Festival. Once it evolved from its original VSCC (ish) weekend to its international meeting status I felt that most wins were based on the person/owner than the ability of the car/driver.

No need to bang on about the football I'm not even a fan of the game but when you're a long way from home you do get caught up in the event. Anyway, I'm off to the pub at 11.30 (6.30 BST) for a free curry and a few scoops whatever the result.
Old 21 Jun 2002, 03:52 (Ref:318026)   #17
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A member of the Queensland Historic Racing Car Club spent 12 months towing his '59 Lister Jaguar around Europe competing at major Historic Race meetings and at Monaco he was advised that all compettiuors had to agree to let Stirling Moss win or they would not be allowed to take part. Now this does no good for the PAYING public who expect to see a RACE and it certainly does no good for Moss's reputation.

Slightly off topic, but interesting enough, at another meeting, he was refused an entry becasue they already had too many Lister Jaguars! Too many, wow we get excited if we see one.
Old 21 Jun 2002, 04:22 (Ref:318033)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
You surprise me about Moss but the story certainly rings true.

If there are too many cars why not run more races?
Old 21 Jun 2002, 07:12 (Ref:318067)   #19
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was asked to do the Mondello race but sadly it clashes with Brands where I have both the Alfa's out on Sunday. I will be peddling the new one but I dont expect it to be massively on the pace and am treating it more as a testing session.
Old 21 Jun 2002, 08:35 (Ref:318092)   #20
green-blood
Rookie

good luck anyways...yours isnt the one fetured in a magazine, was it EVO a couple of months back??
Old 21 Jun 2002, 08:46 (Ref:318097)   #21
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
no that was Richard Evans. my GTA replica is up for sale now and has been active in HSCC and Top Hat but the new one is an FIA Giulia Sprint GT which I will be doing the Spa 6 hour as well as Top Hat and hopefully Goodwood next year. Look at my website for the old one and I hope you enjoy the Mondello meeting
Old 21 Jun 2002, 10:27 (Ref:318125)   #22
green-blood
Rookie

yours looks cleaner for some reason!!! "Somewhere over the rainbow"...you know the rest
Old 21 Jun 2002, 11:24 (Ref:318154)   #23
Yimkin
Racer

Yimkin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by simon drabble
no that was Richard Evans. my GTA replica is up for sale now and has been active in HSCC and Top Hat but the new one is an FIA Giulia Sprint GT which I will be doing the Spa 6 hour as well as Top Hat and hopefully Goodwood next year. Look at my website for the old one and I hope you enjoy the Mondello meeting
See you at Brands Simon....
We should have an extra second or two because we've just powder coated the wheels
Old 21 Jun 2002, 15:10 (Ref:318244)   #24
simon drabble
Veteran

see you there, I am not sure what to expect out of the new car as we have never run in anger with it, in fact it is going on the rolling road tomorrow morning to set up carbs and see what the power is like so we shall see!!
Old 21 Jun 2002, 15:35 (Ref:318253)   #25
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD

That's what I call class.

Yep and don't worry about the Brasil thing either, you called it spot on!