Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 26 Nov 2018, 07:58 (Ref:3865970)   #1551
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
Apparently the rebrand is a smokescreen for large-scale cost cutting.
That's by the by. No longer being known as the MSA, but now Motorsport UK, makes the BTCC official championship title even longer than it was! Following last year's model, will it now be the "Kwik-Fit Motorsport UK British Touring Car Championship"?
Old 26 Nov 2018, 08:29 (Ref:3865979)   #1552
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
That's by the by. No longer being known as the MSA, but now Motorsport UK, makes the BTCC official championship title even longer than it was! Following last year's model, will it now be the "Kwik-Fit Motorsport UK British Touring Car Championship"?
http://www.btcc.net/2018/11/25/toca-...-championship/
"For 2019 the championship will be known as the Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship"

No mention of MSA or Motorsport UK. Given that the press releases always previously including the full Dunlop/MSA branding, I doubt that's an unintended omission.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 08:56 (Ref:3865983)   #1553
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I would definitely agree with that. Neither the organisers nor the ASN are known for their publicity slip ups (thankfully).
Old 26 Nov 2018, 09:13 (Ref:3865986)   #1554
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder is Kwik-Fit's backing will have any effect on teams sponsored by similar outlets. I can't see the bosses of Halfords Autocentre being too happy at their rival's name being plastered on the same car! Similarly wasn't PMR backed by some sort of PSA service group?

I guess it also means Hi-Q are stepping down so there'll be different stickers on the headlights too.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 09:36 (Ref:3865990)   #1555
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post
I guess it also means Hi-Q are stepping down so there'll be different stickers on the headlights too.
Given that the Hi-Q Franchise is owned by Goodyear (along with the Dunlop Brand), I would expect that to be the case.

It was only a few years ago that Goodyear decided to alternate between Dunlop and Hi-Q as being the headline sponsor, so if Goodyear have stepped down then Hi-Q will probably disappear as a brand being promoted.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 10:04 (Ref:3866000)   #1556
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post
I wonder is Kwik-Fit's backing will have any effect on teams sponsored by similar outlets. I can't see the bosses of Halfords Autocentre being too happy at their rival's name being plastered on the same car! Similarly wasn't PMR backed by some sort of PSA service group?
wont be an issue. same thing happened when HiQ sponsored the series for a couple of years and they are a big Halfords competitor like KwikFit.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 10:07 (Ref:3866004)   #1557
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Hi-Q will probably disappear as a brand being promoted.
well obviously - because they wouldnt have both kwik fit and hiQ as championship sponsors at the same time would they...
Old 26 Nov 2018, 10:23 (Ref:3866013)   #1558
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
well obviously - because they wouldnt have both kwik fit and hiQ as championship sponsors at the same time would they...
Goodyear have withdrawn from being championship sponsors.

My point was, they (Goodyear) will probably withdraw their Hi-Q backing to BTCC, and just concentrate on Dunlop branding via the tyre supply.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 11:05 (Ref:3866020)   #1559
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
My point was, they (Goodyear) will probably withdraw their Hi-Q backing to BTCC, and just concentrate on Dunlop branding via the tyre supply.
my point was that theres no 'probably' to it.
of course they wouldnt have two different competitive tyre stores both as championship sponsors.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 12:35 (Ref:3866045)   #1560
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
my point was that theres no 'probably' to it.
of course they wouldnt have two different competitive tyre stores both as championship sponsors.
My response was to a question regarding the Hi-Q stickers on the headlights, not the championship sponsorship.

Hi-Q was last seen as the main championship sponsor in 2009, and since then has been the brand has been used for some of the individual trophies (teams' championship), not the overall championship.

It is entirely feasible that Goodyear may continue to us the Hi-Q brand in their BTCC backing, there is nothing definite about them withdrawing Hi-Q. In fact, they are still promoting the association with BTCC as part of the attraction for taking on a Hi-Q franchise, so the brand might not be gone from the grid. I wonder if Hi-Q might appear on a number of cars/drivers - they've been involved with Rob Austin previously and might explore this avenue again?
Old 26 Nov 2018, 13:58 (Ref:3866062)   #1561
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
Apparently the rebrand is a smokescreen for large-scale cost cutting.
What like cheaper licence and fines!
Old 26 Nov 2018, 15:11 (Ref:3866075)   #1562
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
It is entirely feasible that Goodyear may continue to us the Hi-Q brand in their BTCC backing, there is nothing definite about them withdrawing Hi-Q
really? do you really think there is a hope in hell that both competing kwik fit and hiQ brands would be seen on the cars as part of a continued series sponsorship?!
Old 26 Nov 2018, 15:16 (Ref:3866076)   #1563
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
really? do you really think there is a hope in hell that both competing kwik fit and hiQ brands would be seen on the cars as part of a continued series sponsorship?!
Anything's possible. A personal/ team sponsor that directly competes with a series sponsor is rare but not unheard of. The series sponsor will have minimal space on the cars, and likely not be prominent unless you're (or the TV camera zoom is) up real close to the cars.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 15:20 (Ref:3866077)   #1564
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Goodyear have withdrawn from being championship sponsors.

I think this is the nail hit on the head. We'll likely have Dunlop stickers only and no doubt itv will be receiving money to ensure the commentators say Dunlop tyres not just tyres!
Old 26 Nov 2018, 15:35 (Ref:3866079)   #1565
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Absolutely - I would not be surprised in the slightest if we saw an entry that had Hi-Q backing in 2019, even as title sponsor.

If KwikFit had an exclusivity clause, then Halfords would be out at TD.

Hi-Q HMS would seem a possibility.
Or maybe Adrian Flux Hi-Q Subaru Racing if JP spots an opportunity?

I know these are only speculations, and I am not suggesting in any way that these are deals in place - purely stating that Hi-Q could still be seen in the BTCC in some way.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 15:40 (Ref:3866081)   #1566
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Anything's possible. A personal/ team sponsor that directly competes with a series sponsor is rare but not unheard of.
Exactly - Norlin Ventures have no issue with their portfolio, even though it is in direct competition to series sponsor IHG.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 15:56 (Ref:3866090)   #1567
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Absolutely - I would not be surprised in the slightest if we saw an entry that had Hi-Q backing in 2019, even as title sponsor.
you and i are at cross purposes. i was talking about series sponsorship. not team sponorship.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 17:25 (Ref:3866124)   #1568
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
you and i are at cross purposes. i was talking about series sponsorship. not team sponorship.
It seems so. I was contemplating the likelihood of Goodyear withdrawing the Hi-Q brand from BTCC in total, they withdrew it from series sponsorship a number of years ago.

Now - when's ASI? Maybe some things will become clearer.....
Old 26 Nov 2018, 18:04 (Ref:3866132)   #1569
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
My response was to a question regarding the Hi-Q stickers on the headlights, not the championship sponsorship.
Same thing. The logos on the headlights, bumper corners and number plates are reserved for the championship sponsor - see final page of http://www.btcc.net/wp-content/uploa...egulations.pdf

In theory, you could still see Hi-Q logos on a car if they chose to sponsor that team, but the logos in those places.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 18:58 (Ref:3866142)   #1570
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Same thing. The logos on the headlights, bumper corners and number plates are reserved for the championship sponsor - see final page of http://www.btcc.net/wp-content/uploa...egulations.pdf

In theory, you could still see Hi-Q logos on a car if they chose to sponsor that team, but the logos in those places.
Thanks for that, had forgotten about that graphic.

Wonder if KwikFit will add another brand from their group portfolio to the cars?
Old 26 Nov 2018, 20:20 (Ref:3866161)   #1571
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Thanks for that, had forgotten about that graphic.

Wonder if KwikFit will add another brand from their group portfolio to the cars?
Somewhere in the back of my mind I recollect Kwik Fit owns a tyre brand or two. Mischief?

Having just nosed at the available offerings for my daily driver the cheapest tyre on offer is a Dunlop at £77. No budget cheapies to be seen. Have Kwik Fit moved up market in the last year or two?
Old 26 Nov 2018, 20:45 (Ref:3866168)   #1572
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Now - when's ASI?
Yes.. Let's have some more gossip other than a never ending debate about where Sam Tordoff got his TBL from and KwikFits business model
Old 26 Nov 2018, 20:50 (Ref:3866172)   #1573
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Yes.. Let's have some more gossip other than a never ending debate about where Sam Tordoff got his TBL from and KwikFits business model
Maybe he got it from Kwik fit
Old 26 Nov 2018, 21:00 (Ref:3866176)   #1574
Overboost
Racer

Overboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOverboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

If KwikFit had an exclusivity clause, then Halfords would be out at TD.

Hi-Q HMS would seem a possibility.
Or maybe Adrian Flux Hi-Q Subaru Racing if JP spots an opportunity?

I know these are only speculations, and I am not suggesting in any way that these are deals in place - purely stating that Hi-Q could still be seen in the BTCC in some way.
I could well see JP doing that, though it wouldn't be with Subaru.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 21:28 (Ref:3866183)   #1575
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
he doesnt have one!