Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Oct 2009, 07:16 (Ref:2565988)   #1
iconway
Rookie

England
London
iconway should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The HSCC Guards Trophy Series

Yes John, like you I tend to use my real name where possible! I was impressed by the level of support for tougher enforcement at the Guards meeting on Sat, but I then sat in on the HRS meeting (which the MG also does) where there was clearly much less support for tightening/enforcing the regs. Hats off to RB for standing in and chairing the meeting, it wasn't easy keeping track of all the competing arguments at times...
Old 21 Oct 2009, 09:12 (Ref:2566054)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So it's possible that there are more people who are getting a little annoyed with the amount of cheating going on,its not just confined to us lot on here then?
Old 21 Oct 2009, 09:51 (Ref:2566095)   #3
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hscc

I don't recall anyone being annoyed or accusing anyone else of cheating at either of the HSCC drivers' meetings I attended. I think the aim with Guards, if I understand it, is about presenting itself more clearly as a serious appendix K series with the idea of picking up cars and competitors from elsewhere for whom that is important.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 10:09 (Ref:2566116)   #4
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Thought the Guards grid was more or less full?

This Series along with Woodcote are probably two of the most sucessful classes in historic's
Old 21 Oct 2009, 10:15 (Ref:2566118)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was there and I think the GT's were keen to ensure all were compliant. As far as that goes I think it is right to at least present your hologram at scrutineering. There should be spot checks limited to the cars that clearly seem to be out performing their peers, any more becomes logistically a nightmare. The meeting did become a bit sprocket length orientated for me and my despraxia kicked in..
However I do sympathise with the smaller GT's when they say that they are unwilling to run with Guards because of the speed differential of the Chevrons but they should not forget that the B8's ar ethere as an invitation class. If there were enough GT's (and pre 66 twin cam sports racers) they would not get a race.....
Old 21 Oct 2009, 10:26 (Ref:2566126)   #6
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
guards

JR, I think Guards grid has been reasonably full this year, but there are some who hanker after having two grids - one for the sports racers and one for the GTs - more often than we do at the moment.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 10:30 (Ref:2566130)   #7
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
theyy need to be clear whether they mean seperate grid for 23b;s and similar as well as B8's/Ginettas as the 23b's are not only period correct but also not always first Gaurds car home - often a TVR Griffith beats them
Old 21 Oct 2009, 11:01 (Ref:2566159)   #8
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
There will soon be enough B8's to have their own grid,old ,new,re engineered,continuation ,semi old and even fake.
Have been trying to buy a real one for past month but can find nothing apart from that horribly green painted thing that is priced in the stratosphere and now no longer for sale.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 11:51 (Ref:2566197)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, but you've been there, done that one, John (The green one I mean!). Interesting that you are considering returning to the B8 fold!

I think that I may split the last few posts out into a discussion about the excellent Guards Trophy series. In fact, I've decided; I'll do it now!
Old 21 Oct 2009, 11:54 (Ref:2566200)   #10
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

No alternatives available unless someone can come up with a B12.Coupe that did something in history.Done 910 thing and doesn't work.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 11:58 (Ref:2566203)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There, Ian's started a thread without knowing it!
Old 21 Oct 2009, 12:02 (Ref:2566210)   #12
iconway
Rookie

England
London
iconway should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One can only hope so John, although Chevrons were regulars in the original Guards Trophy series in the late Sixties so they have the right to be there. Then again, by that stage so were Lola T70s and McLaren M1s and I'd rather not race with them either. We all have a choice, and I happen to like longer races so even with the Chevrons lapping me I'm still happy to be there (big mistake #1, not buying a B8 after seeing one romp through the field at the Silverstone Classic in '97, ah well).

Just to clarify (#293), when I referred to 'competing arguments' at the HRS meeting I wasn't suggesting that anyone became annoyed or accused anyone else of cheating, simply that there was less of a consensus on regs/enforcement than in the Guards. I agree completely with the move to full FIA App K and I hope it does tempt drivers of correct, period cars to join (a Lotus Elite class as mooted would find plenty of takers).
Old 21 Oct 2009, 12:18 (Ref:2566227)   #13
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If the HSCC split out sports racers more often I would race more if we could run a McLaren M1. Was this discussed at all?
Old 21 Oct 2009, 12:26 (Ref:2566237)   #14
simon drabble
Veteran

if that os the same as John Bladon's one it was and the general view was it was ok - however if one started running off into the distance it could be different
Old 21 Oct 2009, 12:26 (Ref:2566238)   #15
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
oh dear.......
Old 21 Oct 2009, 12:29 (Ref:2566245)   #16
simon drabble
Veteran

I gather you might be success ballasted next season in most series anyway!!!
Old 21 Oct 2009, 12:31 (Ref:2566247)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Well I can see the possibility of two separate races as happened at the Gold Cup but I'm not sure where the M1 would fit in, Roger.

Whilst I understand the concerns of the drivers of both the earlier sports racers (which is why I have put up an award for the earlier 1600 cc cars at the Autosport 3 hours), and those of the small GT cars, I would, as an interested spectator be reluctant to see the B6/B8 Chevrons disappear from the Guards Trophy races. They don't, as far as I am aware, have an alternative equivalent series to enter, and I'm sure that we can all agree that it would be disappointing to see these pretty and iconic cars disappear from British circuits.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 12:43 (Ref:2566262)   #18
simon drabble
Veteran

John I agree they are lovely but where did they fit in period? Where they more a club car as they were around in that funny grey period of the late 60's
Old 21 Oct 2009, 12:50 (Ref:2566270)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Well I've always thought of them as the car that took over where the Ginetta G12 (and where are all of those?) left off. They were used both in club and international long distance racing.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 12:57 (Ref:2566280)   #20
simon drabble
Veteran

but presumably against GT40s etc - in other words it is probably more in keeping for them to run in a similar series to T70's etc as in the old days of jonathan Baker's excellant Group 4 series. Maybe HSCC could look at running some races for that and at the same time include another series with no real home - historic S2000
Old 21 Oct 2009, 12:58 (Ref:2566282)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ian,people may not voice thier feeling's over the 'bent car syndrome' but there are plenty who have had enough of it.I would suggest that is possibly the main reason for the move to bring cars back into something a lot closer to what they are supposed to be.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 13:03 (Ref:2566285)   #22
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
It's finding the room for more grids in the calendar though isn't it, and there are still a few historic classes not properly catered for.

Now if you could persuade all the the B6/B8 contemporaries out (up to 2 litre) and get a grid of say 25 cars on a regular basis, then I could see a case for HSCC to split them away.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 13:13 (Ref:2566292)   #23
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Just reading through the last few post's John,I think that there could well be a demand for a Sports Racer type three hour. Grid full of GT40s/Chevrons etc would/should make for a fantastic spectacle.
Will the race calender be so busy next year that another 3hour for the smaller class's would be out of the question though?
Old 21 Oct 2009, 13:17 (Ref:2566296)   #24
simon drabble
Veteran

at the annual meeting there was a groundswell demand for the 3 hour race to be moved to the Silverstone International meeting but reading between the lines it seems there are some issues with that configuration for next year which will be very sad as I think it is possibly the nicest layout at Silverstone
Old 21 Oct 2009, 13:42 (Ref:2566315)   #25
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Hmmmm,yes there are.Lord knows why Silverstone pull their finger out and get the F1/School circuit Licensed.You get a full length blast down Hangar,through Vale and then some twisty bits across to Chapel.Thats the best circuit at Silverstone